Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Cause halflings just don't wear shoes. Ever.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

AFAIK, they've never been prohibited - via mechanics in the core rules or fluff - from donning shoes; they've always able to benefit from magical footwear.

Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
That's a nice piece, Swarm. I hadn't seen it before ^.^

Footwear hasn't been mentioned in relation to them for a couple of editions I think, nad most art has them wearing shoes inthe manner of most other species - it, along with the hairy feet, were changes made as they shifted halflings away from tolkien hobbits and sought to identify them more completely as their own creatures.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Niara
That's a nice piece, Swarm. I hadn't seen it before ^.^

Footwear hasn't been mentioned in relation to them for a couple of editions I think, nad most art has them wearing shoes inthe manner of most other species - it, along with the hairy feet, were changes made as they shifted halflings away from tolkien hobbits and sought to identify them more completely as their own creatures.

Schrodinger's hairy feet.

old hand
old hand
Ling a half.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
I miss them, pisses me off Lord of the Ring Online/MMO was cancelled. At least we're getting TV-show.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 13/01/22 02:13 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
I miss them, pisses me off Lord of the Ring Online/MMO was cancelled. At least we're getting TV-show.

The Lord of the Rings online still has active servers.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Piff
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX

The Lord of the Rings online still has active servers.

Youre kidding right.

As far I know Middle Earth 3 is coming. Damn, it isnt confirmed. I thought it was. It would be damn fun to kill Orcs with Hobbit Hero.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 13/01/22 12:17 PM.
Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I still play LotRO - those screenshots from earlier in the thread looking at their version of halfling models were taken recently. Their most recent expansion was Gundabad, a few months back.

old hand
old hand
Is it gundagud?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
As with any MMO expansion ,there's good and bad. I enjoyed the conclusion to the story that they were telling, but there were a lot of elements of the execution of it that I strongly disliked their design choices for; The actual zoning and landscapes are beautiful, but, as with many things built by dwarves, there's a lot of massive architectural over-compensation, especially for short little halfling legs.

old hand
old hand
Someone made a post on reddit related to halfling figure, thought I'd throw it here since it's close to the topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...ase_fix_spines_of_dwarves_and_halflings/

Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It counts ^.^ Thanks for the boost again Fallen.

Great thread!
I'm currently playing as a Halfling and I noticed most of the things you pointed out.
One of the most offputting scenes I experienced (in which the giant head was really noticeable and uncanny) was spending some time drinking with Shadowheart after defeating the goblins. My Halfling's head looked a lot larger than hers, not the same size -or smaller- by a long shot.

I get that these are races that not many players pick, but it's totally possible to make these models look and move as good as the others.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for the support Malrith ^.^

There are quite a few places where the gargantuan head problem rears its, well, ugly head. With heads that are literally physically larger (not just relative-size larger, but physically actually larger) than the heads of medium-sized characters, a number of scenes, especially close-shot scenes, just don't work. When it was playing properly, for example, Astarion's bite-night scene looked ridiculous on halflings, because in point of fact, he actually cannot physically bite a halfling's neck - their head is too big to allow an angle to get his teeth there. In the scene when it was playing, this led to ridiculous clipping issues that looked terrible.

old hand
old hand
With Niara's thread unlocked (congrats), did some digging around on Halfling lore and ran into this vid. It has a good amount of info on Ghostwise Halflings, anyway they had a lot of photo references figured I'd toss it on here.

S
stranger
stranger
S
For recent halfling art with good (imo) proportions I really liked the halfling rogues in the recent MTG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set: Check for Traps and Split the Party.

Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi folks!

Time for an update on the state of halflings in patch 7! I'll make a statement up top just to be clear on things: I don't use any mods for the game, and everything I post is directly from in-game screenshots.

First things first, the new Barbarian armour highlights an issue that is now clear to see:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regardless of what head you pick, male or female, Halfling models display an extremely distended neck. Some armours disguise this issue, but others, like the new barbarian armour, make it particularly visible. Can we please add this to the list of details that needs adjusted with the halfling models.

Halfling females are (still) using male halfling poses and animation idles for sitting, despite all other races having distinct poses and idles for male and female bodies. Small sized characters of all body types still cannot sit properly in many chairs; most of the common and simple ones have been corrected, but many have not.

Next up, I want to brush on the shooting of cinematics again – The issues raised in my other posts, related to the dream sequences, and to character choreography, are all still largely unaddressed:

I know, Jaija, I'm displeased too...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Many of the interpersonal cinematics in game (especially within the dream sequences) are still full of shots that make no relational sense for having a small character involved; this is true regardless of whether your character is small, your daisy is small, or even if you both are.

Though they've neatened up a lot of the hand shots in various ways – not all of them, but some of them, and in some cases they've done so, it seems, by letting the hands morph/stretch to a larger size to meet up with the intended pose points, which, once you're looking for it, is really messy and hard to not see.

Might be worth pointing out that we seem to have lost the burning city as well... Either that or we really razed that place good.

Now; for the most part, in the dream sequences, they've tided up and refined most of the camera angles and positions for small sized characters, so that you can at least see what they're trying to show you most of the time – this is an improvement over previous patches where halfling players were left looking at grass for most of some of the dreams; that's a step in the right direction, even if the actual choreography for small characters is still unsuitably using the same marks as medium-sized characters, without any considerations being made.

Another poster drew me to double check Minthara's scenes as well, and unfortunately they're still suffering the same issues as outlined in my other thread for them – though even without skipping any dialogue and letting the animations progress at their own pace, we still end up with this situation, with halfling characters:

Yikes.

Astarion's new scene is in as well, but I'd like to take a separate thread to talk about that, when I've got everything together; the comments will relate too everyone, not just small characters - though I do appreciate the addition of being able to kick him in the groin.

Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So, with that little update out of the way, I'd like to embark with everyone on a rousing game of “Guess The Halfling!” In this game, I'll post some pictures, screenshots from the game. In the pictures, one of the actors present will be a halfling, and one will be a medium-sized character. Let's guess which is which!

Here's a simple one, of a dream, on the grass. One of these characters is supposed to be a halfling, the other is a half-elf:

How about this one – which one of these characters is supposed to be the 'halfling'; here's a hint – it's not the drow:

Sleeping gently, before...

Giant hand on my shoulder..? Agh! Don't eat me scary lady!!

Tiny elf man smells delicious! Totally a halfling, yes, honest.

One more – Guess which one is meant to be a halfling; it's not Astarion.

Even if they ultimately don't change *anything* else about the current halfling models (and I'll be deeply disappointed if they don't), they absolutely must address this issue with the egregious head size. It's just absurd.

Wish I had more to report on this front, folks, but there's not been any sign of any core changes to the models as of yet. At this point, I'm mostly hoping that it's been taken on board and will be considered if/when we get an update to give us body types.

L
addict
addict
L
Oh it looks like you accidentally chose ‘Headling’ in character creation. Easy mistake.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Since there is no "like" or "upvote" function I'll just say it - thanks for your hard work, Niara!

I agree something has to be done about that neck o.o and the *HEAD*! I literally laughed out loud when I saw the pictures! X] Looks like a bobblehead figure!

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard