Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#811678 15/03/22 05:40 PM
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Looks like Larian might be moving toward being a bit more engaging with us: https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1503762992592265230?s=21

Personally I think they should just offer Niara the role. Look how much work she puts in here and how professional her conduct is. Larian, are you paying attention?

veteran
veteran
Why would we want that for Niara? lol. Too much headache and heartache involved in dealing with us crazy people.

Unless... well... unless you want it, Niara. Then I'll just hush my mouth. smile

old hand
old hand
Heavy are the hands that are glued to the keyboard.

addict
addict
Given how Larian has handled the Early Access communication so far, I'll remain cautious and skeptical until I see any actual change. Assuming such a change in their engagement with the players ever occurs, which I'm not putting my money on. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. (Better yet, I'd love to see Larian start working on improving the game's playability, user interface, etc, instead of just the graphics. But save that, having someone explaining to us why this won't happen would be great.)

For what it's worth, I learned while watching Wolfheart's "behind the scene of Panel From Hell 7" video that Larian has a PR team. A team. With several people in it. So not only is the number of dedicated PR workers at Larian non-zero (or not reduced to Swen's regular PR shifts), but this number is greater than or equal to two. And look at how Larian has managed EA communication thus far. They never lacked the (human and financial) resources to do better. They just didn't want to.

It's entirely possible that this job advert is just to replace someone who recently left the company. But I'll admit that, for one, it explicitly says "community manager", and for two, Larian posted the ad on Twitter. I doubt this is the first hiring they're making since the start of the project (even since the start of the EA phase), but I think it's the first one advertised through Twitter. So maybe they're trying to send a signal to the players. But maybe not. I'll wait and see.

ps : I'm now curious to see if some of us on this forum (and I include users and mods) will apply

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 15/03/22 06:21 PM.
veteran
veteran
There is few good adepts on this forum ...
But none of them deserved such punishment. :-/

I also keep my hopes high ... maybe there will be at least some comunication some day after all. ^_^

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
apprentice
apprentice
I'm still fairly new to the forum but I also saw the posting (though saw it on the Larian website). I personally have applied but whoever is successful in the position, I hope there is plans to be more involved in the forums and communication with players.

Now where's my pet Goblin?
veteran
veteran
Niara would quickly become a hollow shadow of her former self. Being an official community manager means they're the mouth piece for the company, which means towing the company line. I assume Niara would hate that, she's much too honest for that. That said, I wish someone like Niara could be in that role.

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Me too. I made a similar call on the D&D Beyond forums with who I felt was their best contributor (MellieDM) and she’s now a part of their team, so never say never smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SammieGraceTV
I'm still fairly new to the forum but I also saw the posting (though saw it on the Larian website). I personally have applied but whoever is successful in the position, I hope there is plans to be more involved in the forums and communication with players.
Good luck! 😊

apprentice
apprentice
Thank you smile

Now where's my pet Goblin?
veteran
veteran
Actually it's the "able to travel" qualifier that locks me out, more than anything else. I live in Tasmania, Australia, and my lifestyle and health situation means I'm not really able to go anywhere far except in brief stints ^.^

I will note, for those concerned, that a CM for a forum, such as this, would not be formally required to follow the company line for design and decisions; they're allowed to be outspoken about their won opinions as long as they're still setting a good example for other users. It's just that operating in that position forces you to really vet yourself particularly closely to make sure you Are being a proper example of good conduct at all times, and that means you generally cannot get into debates with others or argue your points too harshly; even I get a bit harsher than I would let myself be if I were operating in such a role (and I've done that kind of work before, trust me). the result, unfortunately, is that the longer you work in the position, the less inclined you feel to engage directly, because it's more spoons for you to do so, and double check yourself as you go, than it is for others - who are able to push up to the limit of the guidelines more aggressively than you can, without actually invoking an infraction. It's often draining, thankless work to keep a community positive and polite to one another - and it's why I try my best to encourage that in others where I can here, from this side of the fence, as it were.

P.S: Thanks everyone for the vote of competence, I really appreciate the kind words!

Last edited by Niara; 16/03/22 12:16 AM.
L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
Ah fair enough, I've visited my sister when she used to live in Tassie and probably wouldn't want to leave either – especially the way things are in the world right now! (I'm an Aucklander)

From now on I'll picture you doing your rants surrounded by the eerie scenery of the Kettering Incident smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
you generally cannot get into debates with others or argue your points too harshly
I had the same problem when i was moderator on one forum ...

Resolved it by making another account to express myself freely while not being anyhow linked to server representatives. laugh wink

veteran
veteran
That's called sockpuppeting, and it's usually a bannable offence, Rag....

veteran
veteran
Not if you ask Admin first and he allows it. smile

I would never be able to restirct myslef from expressing my opinion freely just bcs of my job ... that sounds like terrible experience. :-/
Both for moderators and users ... bcs at least from my experience people often tend to take any employee messages as official statement of the company ... sometkmes even if the person specificaly states that theese are his own opinions.

This seemed to me like acceptable comptomise ... luckily (and it seems like i was more lucky then i thought if you are right) others seen it that way aswell. smile

L
addict
OP Offline
addict
L
LMAO now I’m wondering how many accounts you have on here, so you can argue with yourself wink

veteran
veteran
None obviously ... what would be the point?
Also ... as long as there are GM4HIM, Maximuuus, Wolmerine, mrfuji3, and sometimes Niara ... im not affraid that this Forum would lack topics from people with different opinions to discuss. :P

veteran
veteran
I also can’t imagine him fooling anyone for more than three posts, given that he has a… let’s say easily recognizable way to express himself.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
CMK Offline
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
None obviously ... what would be the point?
Also ... as long as there are GM4HIM, Maximuuus, Wolmerine, mrfuji3, and sometimes Niara ... im not affraid that this Forum would lack topics from people with different opinions to discuss. :P
Oh sure like you've never argued with me :P ... J/K I know the people listed have been around longer and are way more active than I am LOL

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I also can’t imagine him fooling anyone for more than three posts, given that he has a… let’s say easily recognizable way to express himself.
Thats inseparable part of the charm. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard