Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Life
Just so this indepth look is acurate, i feel like we should mention also buffs this class get, and not just tweaks ...
Specificaly im talking about Preserve Life ... Channel Divinity spell.

In tabletop rules your Cleric gets amount of HP equal 5 times his level that he can divide between his alies in range of 30f ... while this heal can restore a creature to no more than half of its hit point maximum.
Meaning at level 4 ... its 20HP total if i count right.

In Baldur's Gate III rules, your Cleric heals 3 times his level with no futher restriction to maximum healed amount EVERY friendly target around ...
I used this in Goblin siege, and healed my whole party and few Tieflings, all for 12.
So ... basicaly no total cap. laugh But if we count only party of 4, it would at level 4 heal for 48 if i count right.

In both cases this heal have no effect for Undead or Constructs.
(At least acording to tooltip ... this we cant quite test right now, since even Astarion is curently concidered alive. :-/ )

So, my recommendation is to restrict the spells like 5e says to so wizards can't use Bonus Actions and Action Spells in the same round, and so Clerics can't cast both Cure Wounds and Healing Word in the same round.
I believe that class list (Wizard and Cleric only) is pure oversight, but i still feel the urge to mention that Druids and Rangers can heal like that aswell.
Same as Warlock and Sorcerers can benefit from option to cast two leveled spells per turn ... especialy Sorcerer. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/03/22 05:37 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by CMK
Yeah, I gotta say I too enjoy the ability to Cast an action spell and a bonus action spell in the same round and not be limited to choosing to either Casting a cantrip then bonus action healing word or shield of faith OR choosing Cure wounds and wasting my bonus action doing nothing because clerics have exactly 0 cantrips that are bonus actions. The ONLY thing that clerics have at early level that allows them to have a full action and bonus action every turn Larian hasn't added yet and that is spiritual weapon. because then at least you can enter battle round one you shouldn't need to heal at all so yo can Example: Action> Sacred Flame, Bonus Action> Spiritual Weapon from there as the fight progresses whether you Heal or Bless or w/e you can always use your spiritual weapon to bonus action attack the enemy.

So, I guess what I am getting at is this. In BG3 I am fine with the fact that they have removed the one spell/ one cantrip limitation to spell casting, BUT if Larian wants to give Clerics back their spiritual weapon I'd be fine with the classic 5e rules.

That said... in later levels (whether Larian decides to keep it the way they have it or to implement the 5e RAW on this matter) the big bosses tend to be kinda bullshit with action economy anyway, because not only do they have whatever "normal" abilities their cast of creature/ class of character would have they also get legendary abilities. (though I suppose depending on how much you use your tadpole, you and your companions might end up with some pretty bullshit abilities too)

Honestly, as a player, absolutely. I like no limitation on casting, especially at lower levels. And, I'm actually fine with Larian NOT implementing the limit as long as enemies aren't utilizing it like I described. THAT'S where the problem will come in. The last thing I want is for Larian to have some crazy high level wizard or cleric running up to your party to get at point blank range to the closest and then casting Spirit Shroud as a Bonus Action and then Fireball as an Action at 10 feet away from everyone in the party. 8d6 damage for Fireball plus 1d8 extra damage for Spirit Shroud plus nobody in your party can heal for one whole turn.

The main purpose of a lot of limits in D&D is because it is multi-player. You want everyone in the party to feel important. When you are doing single player, it isn't as imperative to have everyone balanced out. For example, who cares if Lae'zel is as tough as your custom MC? Lae'zel isn't someone you made, and she doesn't represent YOU - at least unless you're playing her after full release. But the point is, if YOU are unbalanced and super OP, that's not as big of a deal in a video game that is only single player because you are the star. No one else is.

The moment you make it multiplayer, though, that's when it becomes an issue, and BG3 is a multiplayer game. The last thing you want is to be a cleric who feels like the wizard is super OP and killing everything, and you're just barely killing one or two bad guys to the wizard's 10-15 per battle. Suddenly, nobody wants to be anything but a wizard because they can long rest between battles and regain all their super powerful spells, and they can hurl high damage area of effect spells that can reduce enemies in mass quantities to cinders. Meanwhile, you're playing the pathetic cleric who can only hurl a single spell per round or take a single swing per round and maybe hopefully hurt a bad guy a little. Oh sure, you can heal pretty effectively, but Joe Wizard has lots of potions and can use them as Bonus Actions, so he can cast Fireball and Heal with a Superior Potion every round if he needs to. He doesn't need you.

THAT'S the kind of stuff I'm trying to point out here. Right now, Wizards are lame and limited because they're at level 1-4. So, we aren't seeing much firepower from them. Lift the cap, and watch the magic start to take over.

Last edited by GM4Him; 16/03/22 06:07 PM.
CMK Offline
Honestly, as a player, absolutely. I like no limitation on casting, especially at lower levels. And, I'm actually fine with Larian NOT implementing the limit as long as enemies aren't utilizing it like I described. THAT'S where the problem will come in. The last thing I want is for Larian to have some crazy high level wizard or cleric running up to your party to get at point blank range to the closest and then casting Spirit Shroud as a Bonus Action and then Fireball as an Action at 10 feet away from everyone in the party. 8d6 damage for Fireball plus 1d8 extra damage for Spirit Shroud plus nobody in your party can heal for one whole turn.

Yeah... that would be bullshit. So, we are kind of relying on Larian to be fair as DM and set up encounters that are beatable in some way, but that is true with or with out the 5e rule. Especially in the case of homebrew special NPCs it is on the DM to make them tough, but not total bullshit.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CMK
So, we are kind of relying on Larian to be fair as DM and set up encounters that are beatable in some way, but that is true with or with out the 5e rule. Especially in the case of homebrew special NPCs it is on the DM to make them tough, but not total bullshit.
Agree. I am not too worried about encounters being too difficult. There will be difficulty settings in the final game, which I can adjust as needed. 😊

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I will say this. Playing Solasta just now, and some of the spell limitations are too much, in my opinion. As much as I like the fact that they are more true to 5e, the "No Free Spell Hand" rule they have implemented drives me a bit crazy. I definitely like that I don't have to worry about freeing up a hand in BG3.

As far as the Level 1 or higher Spell + Bonus Action Spell vs. Cantrip + Bonus Action Spell, I'm still on the fence. If it was just single player and Larian made sure enemies didn't abuse this, I'd maybe not worry about it so much. However, this is multiplayer also, and the way Larian has done encounters so far, with duergar shoving characters into lava and phase spiders teleporting around and spitting at people all in the same turn, I have serious doubts that they'll make sure that a wizard or Light Cleric won't hurl a Fireball and do something like buff their AC or Misty Step (or later Far Step) away from you so you can't even touch them.

What I mean is, imagine you're playing multiplayer with 3 other people. One guy is a wizard, level 5. You're a barbarian. Then there's a Light Cleric and rogue. You trigger battle against Nere, Thrinn and the duergar. Wizard wins initiative. When battle started, Thrinn, Mind Master Whatever, and Nere are all in a line. Wizard couldn't normally get into position to cast Lightning Bolt on them because to do that would cost a Dash Action. However, player Misty Steps using bonus action so that she is able to move 30 and line up perfectly to cast Lightning Bolt. 8d6 damage off of Thrinn, Nere and Mind Master whoever. Cleric wins next initiative. Casts Shield of Faith and Fireball, catching Thrinn and Nere in the blast. Another 8d6 damage off of both. Cleric then runs up next to Nere. If he even tries to escape, the cleric gets opportunity attack. Rogue goes next, fires Sneak Attack against Nere because cleric is right next to him. Hits. Nere dies. Main boss enemy taken out by two powerful spellcasters and a rogue. Poor you, the barbarian. You're just left with cleanup duty.

Flip the script. Nere goes first. Teleports to high ground and hurls Fireball down on you and your companions. Morghal, the Duergar Cleric, casts Silence on your group and then casts Shield of Faith on herself. Runs up to your wizard so if your wizard tries to flee, she'll get opportunity attack. You, the barbarian, tries to attack Morghal, but misses because she got to not only cast Silence, she also cast Shield of Faith, so she has higher AC. Rogue tries to hit Nere, but can't because he's on high ground with +2 AC, and even if he did, he wouldn't get Sneak Attack.

Do you see how it can be, and is, all about initiative in BG3 when it comes to spellcasters? If you win initiative, you can easily teleport to an advantageous position AND dish out a high powered spell.

Now, same scenarios. Wizard is limited. Can EITHER cast Lightning Bolt OR Misty Step. Not both. Well, she could Misty Step and move into position, but she wouldn't be able to Lightning Bolt right away. So, fat lot of good that would do to Misty Step into position for a Lightning Bolt when all your enemies will likely move before your next turn. Cleric can EITHER cast Fireball or Shield of Faith. If Fireball, they won't gain the +2 AC bonus for Shield of Faith, thus easier for enemies to hit. If Shield of Faith, no high powered damage spell against the enemies, but better chance of defending against enemy attacks.

Nere's turn. He can EITHER Misty Step away from you to escape OR he can Fireball you but be at a much closer range. So, if he Fireballs, you, the barbarian, will be more likely to get into range to deal some hefty damage off the baby AC mage. If he Misty Steps, no Fireball, giving you and your party at least a round to stop him; cast Silence, get to him, scatter so you're not all within a Fireball radius... something to avoid everyone in your party being blasted by Fireball.

Last edited by GM4Him; 16/03/22 09:37 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Yeah the no free spell hand rule is going a bit far. That and restrictions around drawing weapons are probably the most hand-waved rules in 5E. No one wants to manage that crap. It’s not OP just to let that go. Dungeon Dudes did a good video about it recently, worth a watch.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Life
Just so this indepth look is acurate, i feel like we should mention also buffs this class get, and not just tweaks ...
Specificaly im talking about Preserve Life ... Channel Divinity spell.

In tabletop rules your Cleric gets amount of HP equal 5 times his level that he can divide between his alies in range of 30f ... while this heal can restore a creature to no more than half of its hit point maximum.
Meaning at level 4 ... its 20HP total if i count right.

In Baldur's Gate III rules, your Cleric heals 3 times his level with no futher restriction to maximum healed amount EVERY friendly target around ...
I used this in Goblin siege, and healed my whole party and few Tieflings, all for 12.
So ... basicaly no total cap. laugh But if we count only party of 4, it would at level 4 heal for 48 if i count right.

In both cases this heal have no effect for Undead or Constructs.
(At least acording to tooltip ... this we cant quite test right now, since even Astarion is curently concidered alive. :-/ )

So, my recommendation is to restrict the spells like 5e says to so wizards can't use Bonus Actions and Action Spells in the same round, and so Clerics can't cast both Cure Wounds and Healing Word in the same round.
I believe that class list (Wizard and Cleric only) is pure oversight, but i still feel the urge to mention that Druids and Rangers can heal like that aswell.
Same as Warlock and Sorcerers can benefit from option to cast two leveled spells per turn ... especialy Sorcerer. laugh

You are right, I did forget to mention the Preserve Life Channel Divinity. That is true. That does make a Life Cleric more effective and special. I will grant you that. Healing every ally within 30 foot radius for 3 times your cleric level ... that's a substantially powerful healer.

So here's the difference between 5e rules and BG3 in terms of Life Cleric Healing:

5e rules. Life Cleric can either use Cure Wounds or Healing Word or Preserve Life in a single turn. If Cure Wounds, can heal maybe 7-14 HP on a single character. Extra if using higher spell slot. If Healing Word, 7-10 HP on a single character. Extra if using higher spell slot. If Preserve Life, 5 times cleric level on any allies within a 30 foot range up to half health, but you select who gets the healing. So, at level 4, cleric heals 20 HP total to a group of people, maybe healing 2 people 10 HP each or 4 people 5 HP each.

BG3. Life Cleric can use Cure Wounds and Healing Word or Preserve Life and Healing Word in a single turn. If Cure Wounds and Healing Word, 14-24 HP on a single character. Extra if using higher spell slots for each. If Preserve Life and Healing Word, cures entire party by 12 HP AND could still cast Healing Word to add an additional 7-10 HP healing to a single character with extra HP if using a Higher spell slot.

Do you see how extreme BG3 is? Because they are trying to make the healer somehow valuable, they've made it so that their healing is super powerful. Wait until you get to higher levels and they have more spell slots and such. Level 8 cleric heals everyone in the party for 24 HP and then uses Level 3 spell slot to cast Healing Word on someone for an additional 3d4+5ish HP. Yeah. That's some serious healing, to be sure.

Last edited by GM4Him; 16/03/22 10:23 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
I really hope that some of this over the top behaviour is just for EA, to make the game seem more playable and exciting because we're limited to tier 1 and there aren't any difficulty levels implemented. Once more high-level stuff is added there will hopefully be less reason to make the first act so high-powered. But how slowly things are changing in EA does worry me, feels like the release version won't be too different to what we have now (hope I'm wrong!).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Yeah the no free spell hand rule is going a bit far. That and restrictions around drawing weapons are probably the most hand-waved rules in 5E. No one wants to manage that crap. It’s not OP just to let that go. Dungeon Dudes did a good video about it recently, worth a watch.

It is worth noting though, that in Solasta you can manually tweak that specific rule off without changing anything else, if you want. You can go through the vast majority of rules that are commonly hand-waved or adjusted at player tables, and set them up for the way that you feel they should work.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think I see now why Bonus action potions and potion throwing became a thing. I get it. Maybr. The method to Larian's Madness.

Important NPC's (as in NPC's that Larian wants to survive because it will provide more satisfaction for players) have a much better chance of surviving in combat if they can use potions as Bonus and throw potions.

Example: Recent initial grove gate fight with Aradin and two companions. RNG went poorly for Aradin. He was getting his butt handed to him. Even with Wyll's temp HP addition, 5 HP left at one point. Aradin was close to death. His turn, he heals himself with a potion. Then his partner throws a potion and heals him further. Then Zevlor threw a potion and healed him yet more.

Conclusion: The way Larian had built the game, they want to make it appear as realistic as possible from an ALL characters can die standpoint, even Aradin and Zevlor. There are even dialogue sequences for if Zevlor dies and another is leading. But, they know a majority of fans will get more out of the game if most of the time certain characters don't die. To ensure those characters have a better chance of survival, they made it so potion as Bonus and potion throwing is a thing.

To offset, they made cleric Preserve Life power more OP, along with the cleric ability to Cure Wounds AND Healing Word in a single turn, so clerics aren't totally worthless.

Maybe... ???

Last edited by GM4Him; 17/03/22 02:26 AM.
CMK Offline
I think I see now why Bonus action potions and potion throwing became a thing. I get it. Maybr. The method to Larian's Madness.

Important NPC's (as in NPC's that Larian wants to survive because it will provide more satisfaction for players) have a much better chance of surviving in combat if they can use potions as Bonus and throw potions.

Example: Recent initial grove gate fight with Aradin and two companions. RNG went poorly for Aradin. He was getting his butt handed to him. Even with Wyll's temp HP addition, 5 HP left at one point. Aradin was close to death. His turn, he heals himself with a potion. Then his partner throws a potion and heals him further. Then Zevlor threw a potion and healed him yet more.

Conclusion: The way Larian had built the game, they want to make it appear as realistic as possible from an ALL characters can die standpoint, even Aradin and Zevlor. There are even dialogue sequences for if Zevlor dies and another is leading. But, they know a majority of fans will get more out of the game if most of the time certain characters don't die. To ensure those characters have a better chance of survival, they made it so potion as Bonus and potion throwing is a thing.

To offset, they made cleric Preserve Life power more OP, along with the cleric ability to Cure Wounds AND Healing Word in a single turn, so clerics aren't totally worthless.

Maybe... ???
That is some sound reasoning there smile

That said I think it's funny that you intended to do an indepth look of each class and you didn't even get through Cleric before this thread exploded in to a debate.

Side note I still want Larian to add Spiritual weapon

L
addict
addict
L
You may be onto something but I would much prefer if Aradin was just knocked out if he reaches 0 HP – like any DM would do if they were running the game. Then after the battle someone can revive him with a potion the normal way. They don't need him to make death saving throws... I'm fine with certain NPCs having some plot armor.

old hand
Online Content
old hand
Very good thoughts and discussion. To OP, I hope you keep on with your comments to the classes.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
You may be onto something but I would much prefer if Aradin was just knocked out if he reaches 0 HP – like any DM would do if they were running the game. Then after the battle someone can revive him with a potion the normal way. They don't need him to make death saving throws... I'm fine with certain NPCs having some plot armor.

I do still think it messes up the balance. I'd rather have Aradin just die than to have the game unbalanced with all of its extremes.

One thing leads to another. Allow potions as Bonus instead of Action, and allow throwing potions, and you have to tweak clerics to make them better healers so they're worth something, which then allows wizards to cast two spells in a single turn which makes them more powerful at higher levels. Also, potions as Bonus negates Rogue Fast Hands special ability's most potent mechanic, allowing Rogues to use potions as a Bonus. So, then to make Fast Hands better, you have to add homebrew to it, or it becomes almost worthless, so they make it so you can do a Second Bonus action, which means Rogue can do 3 attacks in a round with two weapons. This then makes Rogues more effective melee fighters than fighters, so you need to add more fighter attack options to make them more versatile close rangers, thus weapons receive more melee options, and since fighters can use all weapons they now have more options in melee to try to offset the fact that other classes are now pretty much just as good as they are at fighting.

It's a chain reaction that could go on and on and on and on.

CMK Offline
I do still think it messes up the balance. I'd rather have Aradin just die than to have the game unbalanced with all of its extremes.

One thing leads to another. Allow potions as Bonus instead of Action, and allow throwing potions, and you have to tweak clerics to make them better healers so they're worth something, which then allows wizards to cast two spells in a single turn which makes them more powerful at higher levels. Also, potions as Bonus negates Rogue Fast Hands special ability's most potent mechanic, allowing Rogues to use potions as a Bonus. So, then to make Fast Hands better, you have to add homebrew to it, or it becomes almost worthless, so they make it so you can do a Second Bonus action, which means Rogue can do 3 attacks in a round with two weapons. This then makes Rogues more effective melee fighters than fighters, so you need to add more fighter attack options to make them more versatile close rangers, thus weapons receive more melee options, and since fighters can use all weapons they now have more options in melee to try to offset the fact that other classes are now pretty much just as good as they are at fighting.

It's a chain reaction that could go on and on and on and on.

Honestly, even with the mechanic of drinking a potion being a bonus action (which isn't that unusual to me as the DMs I interact with rule it as a BA) and the ability to throw potions as such (which I agree is weird mechanic in table top sessions I have played you can certainly throw a potion to some one but that requires a DEX check both for the person to throw and for it to be caught thus eating a BA for the thrower and reaction for the catcher and then the catcher has to wait till their turn and use a BA to drink it), I don't think the change to casting was needed to make healers relevant and I am not 100% sure that is why Larian made it (Sorry not a mind reader :P ). Fact is as far as we know there are only the two types of healing potions the common variety (which you do admittedly get access to way more than I am used to seeing in a campaign) and greater (which ironically doesn't seem to be in the 5e books or at least is missing from D&D Beyond) which combined with the game mechanics certainly renders healing word and cure wounds far less useful in early game play... but the healing you get from spells eventually starts to out pace the healing you get from potions, obviously Cure Wounds out paces the healing from potions a lot faster than healing word, but unless you are a Life Cleric healing word really doesn't improve much at higher levels.

Just an example at lvl 4

the potential healing from a healing potion (2d4+2) has a range of 4-10 hp

However a second level healing word (2d4+spell casting mod) CAN be (if you took the ASI and dependent on race) 2d4+4 which means your healing range is 6-12 ...not much of an improvement but some... then of course if you are playing the best healer (IMHO) a Life Cleric it then becomes 2d4+SCM+2+Spell Level (in this case 2d4+4+2+2) which makes the range of your healing 10-16 which puts it just slightly behind a potion of greater healing (4d4+4) with a range of 8-20.

However casting a second level Cure Wounds -which should should be done instead of healing word whenever possible- (2d8+SCM) will typically out pace potions... using the example above it would be 2d8+4 which means the healing range would be 6-20 which puts it pretty much on pace with a potion of greater healing, but wait there is still more... lets bring back our friend the Life Cleric this increases the healing potential by a much wider margin (2d8+4+2+2) healing range of 10-24 which is better than a Potion of Greater healing... maybe not by much... but still better...

So then we get in to as you reach higher levels (once we are no longer capped at lvl 4) as you progress and you SCM potential gets higher (maxing out at +5) and your ability to cast healing spells at higher levels comes in to play you find that using a healing spell will give you more bang than a potion, once again this is particularly true with Life Clerics and tbh when it comes to party healing potions aside IMHO you have two choices multiple characters (at least 2) who have some moderate-decent ability to heal others such as a Cleric of any domain other than Life and a Druid or Bard (I didn't add Paladin because In My experience it has been that Paladin focuses their healing on themselves so as to give the healer one less person to worry about) or a dedicated healer like a Life Domain Cleric (I am not super familiar with Bards and Druids... so if there is a subclass of either that similarly has extra healing BS that puts them on par with a Life Cleric feel free to let me know)

TLDR; healing at higher levels will start to out pace potions, particularly in the case of the Life Domain Cleric- Life Cleric=Best Healer

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Disciple of Life does add a little extra boost to Healing Spells, and they will become more effective with higher level spell slots, but overall it's still not much more effective than potions that can be thrown across the board at allies.

Because they are trying to make the healer somehow valuable, they've made it so that their healing is super powerful.

I have a little problem to fit those two sentences into single mindset ...
Can you choose, please?

Either potions are striping Life Clerics of their purpose, or LIfe Clerics are ridiculously powerfull healers ... both is litteraly impossible.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/potion-of-healing

Healing potions get bigger and better also.

Still, this is always true in D&D, and in video games, potions are always handed out more than in TT. I expect that to a certain degree.

That said, balance is what I'm suggesting in terms of potions. Too many handed out like candy negates the need of a healer, and the ability to throw just adds to that, as does the ability to use a potion as a Bonus.

I do hear that many DMs allow Bonus potions, which boggles my mind. Whipping out and drinking a potion in like 2-3 seconds is insane to me. It would require someone to have potions on a bandolier or belt clip, snap it out, pop the cork and chug fast. I require an Action not just because it gives more value to Rogue Fast Hands and Healers but also because it makes sense from a realism standpoint.

You have a pouch with healing potions in them. You dodge an enemy, slip the pouch open, grab a potion, pop the cork and gulp it down. Can you really do more than that in a 6 second window? Maybe, if you're fast, but not many could do it.

That aside, I still think potions should be handed out sparingly after the grove,. Prior to, fine, hand them out because no shop. After... They should be more of a purchase item rather than loot.

veteran
veteran
I like drinking potions being a bonus action as well.

Last edited by Icelyn; 17/03/22 12:45 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Disciple of Life does add a little extra boost to Healing Spells, and they will become more effective with higher level spell slots, but overall it's still not much more effective than potions that can be thrown across the board at allies.

Because they are trying to make the healer somehow valuable, they've made it so that their healing is super powerful.

I have a little problem to fit those two sentences into single mindset ...
Can you choose, please?

Either potions are striping Life Clerics of their purpose, or LIfe Clerics are ridiculously powerfull healers ... both is litteraly impossible.

Actually, at first glance, I'd agree with you. It seems that both are untrue. But, if you dig deep enough, you can see how both actually are possibilities that do, in fact, exist.

We're talking two very interesting extremes. On the one hand, Bonus action potions and throwing potions make any healer class no longer necessary. This is the reason I am pushing for Action potions, not Bonus action potions, and to remove throwing potions.

See, in Tabletop 5e RAW rules, the cleric is valuable as a healer BECAUSE the other characters can't fight and heal at the same time. They can't throw a potion from a distance to heal an ally. Only the cleric can cast Healing Word to heal from a distance. They can't use a potion AND attack in the same round. They can EITHER heal or attack. If they attack, they then trust that their healer will heal them. It requires more strategy and teamwork because they need to rely on their healer to heal them while they focus on dealing damage - or they need to drink a potion and sacrifice attacking, if they are in desperate need of healing. If you know the healer is healing someone else, then you have to sacrifice dealing damage so you can heal yourself. Then, to boot, the healer can revive a fallen comrade by casting a spell. Ah, the 0 HP companion now is on their feet again, but they have at least 5-12 HP, or something like that. That's better than using a Medicine check to revive them with only 1 HP. Cleric is much more valuable and necessary to the team because they alone can revive a fallen companion and give them hopefully enough HP that they'll be able to either withdraw to a safe distance and use a potion to recover more completely, OR use a potion right there, OR hope they don't get hit for an entire round until the healer can heal them even more.

In BG3, the clerics are stripped of this very important role because, well, anyone can heal themselves and still keep fighting, both in the same turn. Aradin and his two friends don't need a cleric in their party. Aradin is low on health, so he uses his Bonus action to drink a potion for 8 HP healing. Then he bashes the goblin captain. Then he uses Action Surge and bashes him again. Then, because Aradin's still low on health, his buddy throws a potion and heals him another 7 HP. Ah, but his buddy is low on health too, so he drinks a potion as well, healing himself and Aradin in the same turn.

Thus, a healer is no longer ESSENTIAL to the party at all. Party members just need enough potions to heal themselves constantly. Besides this, ANYONE can literally click a button and revive a fallen comrade. No Medicine check at all. Help instantly brings them back to 1 HP so they can get back up and continue. Not only that, but they can get back up, drink a potion as a Bonus action, and viola. Back in action. Then their buddies can throw potions and heal them even more. So, we have that extreme which makes it so healers aren't NECESSARY at all in the party. Then, to boot, they made it so revivify can be cast by anyone, so even moreso, even if a person dies completely, ANYONE can bring them back to life. And, as if that wasn't enough, they give you Withers as a total safety net. Pay him 200 gp and you're good. As long as you've got 1 companion left alive in a battle, everyone can be brought back.

So, one of the main points I'm trying to make is that clerics, and other healers, aren't necessary. Their value is stripped by all of these homebrew mechanics.

But then, the second point ALSO applies. To compensate for the fact that clerics, and other healers, aren't necessary, they've BUFFED cleric abilities so that they can cast both Cure Wounds AND Healing Word in the same round. So, though not necessary, they still have value because they are much more effective healers than people with just potions. Instead of healing only 7-14 HP using Cure Wounds, and that's all the healing you get in one round unless you sacrifice your action to drink a potion, now you can have a cleric heal you 7-14 HP using Cure wounds and 7-10 more using Healing Word, AND then they can use a potion to heal another 4-10 HP, AND they can still take a swing at an enemy. Well, hot dang! A character can have 1 HP left and have a cleric heal them up to 24 HP in a single turn, and if that's not enough for the character they can still heal up to another 10 HP. They can literally go from 1 HP to 35 HP in a single turn AND still attack.

So, to summarize, tabletop would only allow someone to go from like 1 HP to maybe 15 via a cleric's healing in a single turn, and if they drank a potion, they'd heal maybe another 10 at the most to a max healing of 25. This would be at the sacrifice of BOTH not being able to attack. BG3 makes it so the cleric can heal someone up to 10 HP using Healing Word, and they could still cast Guiding Bolt to deal 4d6 damage to an enemy. Then the character being healed could drink a potion and heal another 10 HP (using maximums for comparison purposes) for a total of 20 HP healed and then still fight. So, in BG3, they can heal almost the same as in tabletop but they don't even need to sacrifice attacking at all.

Now, add to this that at level 5 some classes get extra attacks whenever they use an Action to attack. So, what this looks like is the Cleric heals and attacks, and the Fighter uses a potion for extra healing and attacks twice - as opposed to in tabletop how the Cleric would heal and sacrifice their attack to do so, and the Fighter would drink a potion, and sacrifice doing 2 attacks to do so. Suddenly, the Cleric being the healer in tabletop has WAY more value because if he can keep the Fighter from having to use her action to drink a potion, the Fighter gets to make 2 attacks, dealing potentially WAY more damage.

The main point is this: By allowing Potions as a Bonus action, and by allowing Throwing potions, the Life Cleric is no longer NECESSARY. Therefore, to compensate, they've buffed Life Clerics so they can do LOTS of extra healing, especially when one considers the Preserve Life power. So, are they needed? No. Do they have value? Yes... well... sort of. They certain are now more OP when it comes to healing.

But what does that mean in the game? It means that in order to make encounters more challenging, they now must extremely buff the amount of damage an enemy can do. THIS, I think, is why we have Phase Spider Mama teleporting around the map and spitting globs of poison onto party members instead of having phase spiders being up close and person melee fighters. It's a chain reaction. Because Life Clerics and other healers are now able to cast both Cure Wounds and Healing Word in a single round, and because potions are Bonus actions and can be thrown for additional healing, parties can heal for gobs and gobs of HP each round. So, in order for enemies to be challenging, they have to homebrew them and make them heavy damage dealers as well. So, I think this is why the Phase Spider Matriarch was able to reduce my Level 4 Battlemaster from her max health of 40-something to 0 HP in a single round. In order to make her tough, she needed to be able to deal 40+ points of damage to a character in one round (and this was without doing a critical hit).

What is the end result? If you don't win initiative, you're screwed. It all hinges are the RNG of initiative order rather than on strategy.

So, I'm once again suggesting more true to the 5e rules classes and action allowances and such. Why? Because the unbalance leaves too much to chance. Why are people so upset by the RNG in BG3? Because RNG plays a MUCH bigger role now. That's how it goes when you start pushing things to the extreme.

Take Shove. (Please!) Larian determined that 5 feet is lame. So they went to the extreme and made it a much bigger push; 15=30+ feet you can now shove people. The end result? You lose initiative, and you lose the contested Athletics roll, they can shove you 30+ feet off a cliff for a 1-Hit KO. All RNG. You got unlucky, so it doesn't matter where you position yourself on the map, you die because you were unlucky. 5e limits the distance to 5 feet (1 meter), so that doesn't happen as often. Unless you're standing on the very edge of a cliff or wall, you can't get 1-Hit KO'd by RNG at level 4+.

It's the same thing here. Because they lifted the restrictions of one rule, and then compensated, and then compensated again, and then compensated again, you can now lose 40+ HP in a single round before you even get to go - unless you're lucky. THIS is the whole reason I'm pointing all this out. I've had it happen too many times in BG3. The luck of the dice kills me before I even get to go.

And THAT is the whole reason for the limits and restrictions of 5e. It's to balance it all and tame it down. An enemy deals maybe 15 damage in a round, 30 if Critical was done - not 30 in a round and 60 if a Critical was done like in BG3. Healers heal for maybe 5-10 HP in a single round - not 15-20 HP in a single round like in BG3.

The more extreme, the more volatile and the more RNG matters. Lock down the limits and achieve more of a balance, and RNG isn't as important as it is currently in BG3.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Note: I think that JUST having the ability to drink a potion as a Bonus action doesn't offset the balance that much. It's when you allow this AND Throwing Potions AND Clerics using Cure Wounds and Healing Word in a single round (or using Preserve Life to heal everyone 12 HP). It's the combination of ALL the homebrew that really throws a huge kink into the mechanics of the game.

Likewise, if they JUST allowed clerics to cast Cure Wounds AND Healing Word in a single round, but they restricted spellcasters from using bonus + Level 3 or higher spells, that would also work and not be a big deal. At least then we wouldn't have wizards flying around the board casting Fireballs from advantageous positions every time, or Lightning Bolts or whatever. And again, it's this homebrew + using potions as a Bonus + Throwing Potions that makes healing ridiculous (not to mention the Help button auto curing 1 HP every time and revivify being able to be cast by everyone).

Again, I'm not pushing for an absolute RAW 5e experience. I'm pushing for a CLOSER to 5e experience to tame down ALL of the homebrew that makes everything extreme. It's all the homebrew together that is making the game so RNG based and volatile. Tame things down. Reduce the extremes. THAT is more of what I'm looking for.

And I'm hoping that all the homebrew is just because it's EA. Hopefully at Full Release they WILL have options to decide for ourselves: Do we want potions as Bonus or Action? Do we want spellcasters to be able to cast both Action and Bonus for any spell?, etc.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard