Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
a gameplay that (as Etonbears said) most players will try to avoid
I gues we all should be alowed to ruin our game any way we want. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I mean you see in movies so often so it no longer even surprise you (especialy lately) as Hero gets horrible beating, and then he "catch a second breath" and stand up with new power, even stronger than anyone could possibly imagine. laugh
So i guess i allways seen 50% effects as just empowering this "second breat / adrenaline pump up" thing. laugh

But i gues there is allways some head cannon i can do. laugh
I have thousands of books, but no, I haven't watched TV for 30 years, as I found it overwhelmingly ( and increasingly ) a poor use of my time. Similarly for films, I usually only watch them on long-haul flights, on recommendation from a film-buff friend. Typically, his recommendations do not include Marvel/DC stories.

On the other hand, many games have used the "Second Wind" concept ( so many that it probably counts as a trope by now ), but it is usually a discrete, triggered event, not tied to the current value of a character attribute.

But, if any of this helps you head-canon BG3 magic items, then great, I'm happy for you. I would simply prefer the actual explanation to be part of the design process Larian employ, and am suggesting they may like to pay more attention to that process, in the interests of the quality of their product. If this is not something you care about, that is also fine, and I'm sure Larian will note that you don't care.

Since theese items really intrigued me ... so i experimented a little. smile
And i have found that they are working only for base HP (read as: Temporary HP seems to be ignored for calculation) ... my first idea was Barbarian ... since he allready have quite a lot of HP ... and while Raging meele damages are halved (Wildheart Bear, almost every damage) ... so i wanted to test how will theese items be effective ...
Also it seemed reasonable to me that the more will Barbarian be injured, the more he will be angry, wich would fuel both his strength and resilience ... yes, just like Hulk. laugh

Then i find out (purely by coincidence) that when you aply some Bonus HP ... like 15 Temporary HP from this gloves ... but probably even from other sources, like Armor of Agathys, or False Life ...
You can easily reach almost your regular amoung of HP ... while keeping bonuses from 50% weapons. smile

My gues for strategy is that this is the way. laugh

Urmm... additional temporary hitpoints just improve your maximum health. In my opinion, it's still a better strategy to use a higher base damage weapon regardless of health, than try to manage your health pool to get a bonus with a generally inferior weapon. I consider this a marginal use-case, at best, but if that is how you want to play the game, then go for it smile

I could definitely get behind a magic weapon that is limited to, say, barbarian use while raging ( or not raging ), or was part of a set, so required some other item to activate it, or anything really, so long as there were a clear explanation given for the item in-game, and it had a valid use-case.

And, of course, we haven't had any cursed items yet ( I think ). Blooded Greataxe would be a great low-level cursed item if damage was reduced when you were NOT bloodied, but increased while bloodied, picked up from the corpse of, say, a dead barbarian, imbued with the power of a dying curse.

Whatever. Most RPGs are improved by not looking like they are generated from random content.

veteran
veteran
Bloodied used to be a big thing in 4e. If you want a game where fighting ability is affected by HP, D&D isn't it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
it's still a better strategy to use a higher base damage weapon regardless of health, than try to manage your health pool to get a bonus
Maybe ...
All i can say is that it was fun. ^_^

addict
addict
Originally Posted by etonbears
it's still a better strategy to use a higher base damage weapon regardless of health, than try to manage your health pool to get a bonus
Maybe ...
All i can say is that it was fun. ^_^

Well, there has certainly been plenty of time to try out non-optimal but fun ways of playing the game smile

veteran
veteran
I think i have found another one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

veteran
veteran

Why and how? Why would someone in Faerun create such a magical item, and how does an armor help you deal piercing damage but only when you're wounded? Does your blood seep into the armor, which then powers it up and it shoots hardened blood needles at your opponents, but timed to only occur when you make an attack???

At the very least, since the armor is clearly an OFFENSIVE item, the description should reflect that: "-the lives of those the shirt has taken"

veteran
veteran
I dont think it needs "you" to make an attack ...
It sound more like regular thorn aura, but only under 50%

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Why and how? Why would someone in Faerun create such a magical item, and how does an armor help you deal piercing damage but only when you're wounded? Does your blood seep into the armor, which then powers it up and it shoots hardened blood needles at your opponents, but timed to only occur when you make an attack???

At the very least, since the armor is clearly an OFFENSIVE item, the description should reflect that: "-the lives of those the shirt has taken"

At the very least, they should just stop creating such non sense items...

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Such a mail shirt indeed does not make much sense. Although the question of sense in a magical high fantasy world may make no sense too. The shirt, if it's an aura, why are magical attacks from near not punished? If the wearer needs to attack, why does the shirt only help you if a melee attack hits you? Perhaps the maker was drunk or had a strange kind of humor?

Generally, my biggest concern with magical items is wether you need them or not. For me often it's a fashion choice. For example the Barbarian gloves giving 15 hp after rage has ended: it gives you also a blueish aura which I find, like all magical effects, extremely ugly. Therefore I sold the gloves asap. I also will never wear boots as Barbarian, or a helmet. If you needed strong items to keep pace with enemies, say on "Normal", that would be bad.

veteran
veteran
I dont think it needs "you" to make an attack ...
It sound more like regular thorn aura, but only under 50%
Oh, true, I slightly misread the item. My mistake. I suppose "when is damaged by an attack" is a good enough proxy for "enemy gets very close to your armor"

Still, it doesn't really make sense that it happens only when <50% health. Is it feeding off of my blood and/or using that blood to deal this damage? That's a kind of cool idea, but not at all supported by the description. And imo a better item would be "you take 1 point of damage each turn, but in exchange if an enemy hits you they get dealt 1d4 piercing damage."

veteran
veteran
That indeed would be better. :3

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Wouldn't work, you'd be dead seconds after combat ended and it wasn't turn based any more.

Edit: To clarify the damage would probably tick off to fast in real time to be able to out heal.

Last edited by OcO; 02/04/22 12:39 AM. Reason: Clarity
OcO #812781 02/04/22 02:23 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OcO
Wouldn't work, you'd be dead seconds after combat ended and it wasn't turn based any more.

Edit: To clarify the damage would probably tick off to fast in real time to be able to out heal.
True. You could either have it only activate during combat because magic, or make it an activatable item. Or it only activates after you get attacked, and stays active for like 10 rounds, refreshing the timer every time you get attacked.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard