Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#812089 21/03/22 06:12 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
What am I missing, I can't seem to get the Mage Hand to interact with anything? It can't pull levers or pick up items. What is this spell useful for?

itsecman #812092 21/03/22 08:07 PM
CMK Offline
Originally Posted by itsecman
What am I missing, I can't seem to get the Mage Hand to interact with anything? It can't pull levers or pick up items. What is this spell useful for?

Yeah, some one else asked about that in another thread (in the feedback section I think) and the general consensus what that out side of using it as a floating minion to shove enemies off things, not a whole lot.

itsecman #812098 22/03/22 12:17 AM
L
addict
addict
L
I'm really surprised TBH... Larian loves their shenanigans, and imagine the kinds of shenanigans you could do in and out of combat with a useful Mage Hand that could pick up, carry and drop things, pull levers, open doors etc. Even just from a strategic POV, using disarming attack and having Mage Hand safely whisk away their weapon etc.

itsecman #812100 22/03/22 12:44 AM
old hand
old hand
Nothing sadly, unless you like shoving people so they fly halfway across the screen. Really depressing for Arcane Trickster especially.

Originally Posted by LukasPrism
I'm really surprised TBH... Larian loves their shenanigans, and imagine the kinds of shenanigans you could do in and out of combat with a useful Mage Hand that could pick up, carry and drop things, pull levers, open doors etc. Even just from a strategic POV, using disarming attack and having Mage Hand safely whisk away their weapon etc.
I am not really surprised. Larian seems to want to force their ridiculous version of Shove on us, so rather than have Mage Hand do anything that is actually useful they have it doing that instead. The sad thing is that in the Wiki description of Mage Hand, it says it can manipulate and interact with objects. This should mean all the things you mentioned.

I am hoping they fix it eventually to at least add in the proper uses for it, but the cynical part of me says it will continue to be useless and they are using the data of how many times it is cast to decide that we all love their stupid Shove mechanic, rather than looking at where and when it is cast, probably by people expecting to use it properly.

Zarna #812104 22/03/22 01:36 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zarna
Nothing sadly, unless you like shoving people so they fly halfway across the screen. Really depressing for Arcane Trickster especially.
Hah, you thought I, an Arcane Trickster, was going to do something tricky with mage hand? Spread ball bearings by your feet? Pickpocket you? Flip your hood over your face? No! Instead I will use mage hand's amazing 10-lb-lifting strength to... shove you off a cliff! The lack of a trick IS the trick!

itsecman #812105 22/03/22 02:50 AM
stranger
stranger
Is there another thread listing problems/suggesting changes for mage hand? Because I'm both furious and profoundly disappointed at the current implementation of this...

*Just started playing BG3 a few weeks back - Patch 7 - so give me a bit of grace if I'm repeating or missing anything from earlier versions.*
itsecman #812109 22/03/22 03:30 AM
L
addict
addict
L
It CAN disarm traps in BG3 if you're an Arcane Trickster... so there's a sliver of hope

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MyrddinDerwydd
Is there another thread listing problems/suggesting changes for mage hand?
Several ...
But most of them is several months old ... so i gues you can start new with easy heart.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
itsecman #814836 11/05/22 04:57 PM
addict
addict
Well, there was this elusive wicker basket across a chasm in the cave where little tiefling children were hiding. The chasm was too wide to cross by jumping. Mage hand could move the basket, but could not carry the basket over the chasm; it was too heavy. The solution was to shoot the basket with a crossbow until it broke and showed its contents: some gold and a jewel. The mage hand could pick these items up and trhow them across the chasm. Then the valuables could be picked up by someone with regular hands.

In this case the mage hand was useful, and was able to pick up and throw things. Maybe it has been patched recently?

itsecman #814841 11/05/22 07:00 PM
veteran
veteran
I was able to throw the Basket over the chasm with Mage Hand. O_o
It breaks tho ... but doesnt matter. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
itsecman #815755 29/05/22 02:12 AM
veteran
veteran
I hope that Larian addresses this at or before full release. It would be wonderful to see additional ways to use the spell. Personally, I wish it had an inventory where it could actually pick something up. As well as being able to open doors and chests and, of course, manipulate levers, buttons, and such.

itsecman #815762 29/05/22 07:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Yeah for thieving stuff or as an ambushing shove version Mage Hand is ok for me. But sometimes I it breaks the immersion for me. For instance:

It is possible to kill the Githyanki Patrol by placing explosive barrels with the Mage Hand. While this might be a fun way, it breaks the immersion because only the Mage Hand is invisible. The Githyanki should become suspicious if non-invisible barrels suddenly appear around them or are moved towards them over a long distance, especially as one of the Githyanki itself is in hide-mode and should be familiar with such things...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 29/05/22 08:00 AM.
itsecman #816363 08/06/22 06:16 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I used the gith mage hand to threw the snake in the grove that was going to kill the tiefling girl, it killed the snake but the cutscene still played out and the snake killed the girl

Lotus Noctus #816458 09/06/22 10:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
Yeah for thieving stuff or as an ambushing shove version Mage Hand is ok for me. But sometimes I it breaks the immersion for me. For instance:

It is possible to kill the Githyanki Patrol by placing explosive barrels with the Mage Hand. While this might be a fun way, it breaks the immersion because only the Mage Hand is invisible. The Githyanki should become suspicious if non-invisible barrels suddenly appear around them or are moved towards them over a long distance, especially as one of the Githyanki itself is in hide-mode and should be familiar with such things...

Also the mage hand should not be able to move barrels. Even an empty barrel should weigh more than a mage hand could ever lift.

itsecman #816720 13/06/22 12:50 PM
addict
addict
The youtuber Casual Veteran Gamer recently pointed out that levers can be activated by throwing things at them. This means that mage hand can activate levers, provided it has something to throw at them.

I'd rather the hand activated the lever directly, but it's still something.

Last edited by Flooter; 13/06/22 12:51 PM.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
Flooter #816749 13/06/22 07:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
Casual Veteran Gamer

One of the best BG3 youtubers, by far, in my opinion. Lot of content and very knowledgeable about the game.

Link Copied to Clipboard