Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
I haven't seen a single complaint from you; all I have seen is cheerleading. Even the people generally on board with this game have raised an objection or two (minor or otherwise).
cheer cheer cheer

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Proven true.
As I have been saying since day 1, CINEMATIC DIALOGUES is what will kill this games development. EVERYTHING revolves around them. Its a huge hurdle to more content we could of had.
Frack cinematics; use the time and funds to give us party of 6, 10 more playable NPCs with quick ass amazing WRITTEN dialogue story, day/night cycle time, hardcore D&D, mix of tactical AND quicker combat options etc..etc...
Or just be done with it and make BG3 a tale tale game and remove all combat and RPG elements. I mean right? thats what everyone here who loves BG3 just wants, to make a boner inducing character and to see everyone naked dancing around a bondfire romancing and arguing for eternity.

My go-to comparison to highlight this is saying how when I bought BG2 it came on multiple (3 or 4 ?) DVD's in a period when graphics/audio files were ridiculously smaller than today, at the same time the game offered more hours of gameplay than many of today's games which might be a lot larger in terms of data while in terms of actual content I would even say they became a lot smaller.

Also Larian, please BEWARE OF THE CYBERPUNK CURSE. That game made extremely similar claims of being one of the most reactive living open world RPG blahblahblah, obviously the bugs and underperformance on consoles were important issues, to me the ultimate fail of this game was how weak the actual consequences and choices in the game were (merely different cinematics or one extra dialogue detour towards the same conclusion). As a somewhat older, def. more of a PC-untermensch than masterrace kinda gamer, I totally blame this on the insane resources wasted on having those 'nice' cinematics (which -ironically - will look outdated inevitably in x-years) instead of focusing on 'the game' itself. I really don't understand how people can be so idiotic as to repeat the same mistake again and again. What makes any 'creative' product a classic, cult, genre-defining is not the fucking surface level niceness or polish, it's the fucking basics that need to be extremely well done. To me it's like all those bands/musicians who started in the underground and became super big thanks to their first albums and then start doing stupid over-produced bland productions, thinking that that's what people want while that's actually an afterthought which - most importantly- can not fix the initial product not being genuine, authentic, or soul-less. People don't listen to the rolling stones because of their latest album, collectors don't pay excessive money for the latest single either, no they re-listen to the OG albums and singles because that's when the band was still authentic and had the fucking courage to represent what they want to on stage instead of being driven by an army of marketeers and suits. So yeah, Larian, please don't be that guy, everybody loves you because of that, not because you try to live up to the expectation of what you think most people desire from someone like you.

Also do the fucking day/night please, i'm sure a lot of people would prefer having nights. If you're scarce on resources I'm sure you can cancel some expensive talking bird cinematic and redirect them towards the D/N team without anyone noticing. No one will notice if there would be less animals or even corpses to talk to. Who even wastes equipment/spell slots on speak with dead, or is willing to go trough the multiple click loops of (un-)equipping/learning this anyway? Like, the animal can talk and the corpse too, whatever, right ? If it were important enought to better not be missed the game will tell me anyway, right ? Or am I seriously missing something consequential disregarding what the animals and corpses have to say?

Ok. end of rant. Have a nice day everyone wink

Last edited by SerraSerra; 24/03/22 12:42 PM.
addict
addict
"I never expected us to be 400 people to make BG3"

I just happen to have my old Shadows of Amn manual right here! Let's look at the end where the credits are listed ... hmmm, I see about 43 voice actors, about 44 people in the QA groups, 21 people on audio stuff, tons of art, animation, and programmer people, etc. I am not going to count them all, and the list is several pages long. So I guess my question for Larian would be, then how many people did you expect to make BG III?

"let's not spend time thinking ahead at the beginning, we'll just do a quick-and-dirty first draft now, implement it, and later we'll iterate over and over until we've got something good"

I think that is the basic philosophy of "Agile" software development ... ever hear the story of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby?

S
S
Sheesh everyone is so doom and gloom. For all we know, they’ve implemented all classes, races, day/night cycle, and reactions but they haven’t publicly released them yet because they aren’t polished, still need testing, or they’re simply holding things back for final release. We really have no idea the state of the game. Early Access is meant to give us a taste of the final game. It doesn’t reflect where they are in development.

S
S
Looks like we’re getting gnomes at least:
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1506981445016948743?s=21

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
I asked Vincke where he thinks BG3 fits within the broader D&D landscape, in all its forms, and the answer came easily. "The benchmark incarnation of 5th Edition in a videogame," he said.

I honestly don't know whether to derisively laugh out loud or just put my head in my hands and cry - though since I'm physically incapable of the former I guess it's an easy enough question. *sigh*

When you go to the character creation and you can select all those classes, all those sub classes, and then you start that journey—knowing everything you can do on that journey, it's going to be quite the thing.

Despite the seeming disconnect with reality that the interviewee seems to have between what he imagines is being produced, and what we're actually seeing, I do find myself wondering if this means that in a future patch they'll actually do something about the gods-awful character creation UI, and if it will, indeed, include the ability to view in clear and legible ways what each class and subclass gives you at which levels - something you cannot, in fact, do right now.
You always say it so well, @Niara! 1000% agree with you here.

And furthermore, the artcile itself was completely empty of any meaningful information. It was a pure fluff-piece where Vincke gets to pat himself and his team on the back about how awesome they are. Shame on PC Gamer for allowing themselves to be used for Larian PR.

If Vincke/Larian wants to have a real and meaningful discussion about BG3, they should agree to an interview with someone who has significant misgivings about the game. Several posters right here in this forum would be excellent such interviewers.

Last edited by kanisatha; 24/03/22 02:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
This only confirms what I knew and posted on here a year ago about Larian being in way over their head and understaffed. Swen all but confirms it here, which is why they did so much hiring for more staff.
Whenever they are "over their heads" will depend on how 1.0 will turn out. It can turn out to be a cautionary tale just as well as a success story.

Originally Posted by gaymer
The game when it was released in October 2020 was not fit or suitable for public consumption, especially at a $60 price point.
Which I don't think is the problem - the very point of releasing pre-alpha build is to get feedback while the game is in development. And I stand behind $60 price point, as Larian was very transparent with what EA is, and there was no incentive to buy into it if you are not interested in participating in this feedback gathering excercise. The more finished the release would be the less potential to steer the direction based on feedback/data.

Originally Posted by fylimar
I laughed at the 5e incarnation remark. BG3 has a lot of Work to do to be a faithful 5e adaption.
"The benchmark incarnation of 5th Edition in a videogame," not "the most faithful adaptation of 5e". It is rather clear by now that Larian doesn't believe D&D to be very good, or at least not a good fit for a PC release. That of course leads to some questions: why work on IP that you seem to hate everything about, and "because D&D is popular" is a poor answer for a company "that is not about the money".

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Interview
"There are so many steps in between now, so many people that need to look at it," Vincke said. "Cinematic designers, cinematic animators, the casting director, lighting, VFX, SFX. So you don't just add a line like that anymore. You're very aware of your cinematic budget, the cost, and the waterfall that follows from it. We've had to reinvent ourselves, how we work… so that we can still iterate."
Sooo ...

Thats the excuse for having such limiting dialogue options?
That "it involves many people and much work to add another"?

If so its poor one.

And also dont tell me that in between all those 400 people nobody thinks that curent options are lacking some basic choices. :-/
At the same time current cinematics still lack in quality. So which path should Larian follow? Focus on polishing "smaller" amount of content to provide a passable "cinematic" experience, so they can try to stand amongside Mass Effect and Witcher3, or try to cram as many choices for the player as possible, aiming to create janky cult classic? I expect the final result to be somewhere in the middle - not terribly good cinematics with still impressive amount of choices but doesn't quite succeed in covering choices player's might expect or want. Again: Dragon Age = not a terribly good RPG, not a terribly good cinematic experience, but scratches somewhat both itches.

Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Or just be done with it and make BG3 a tale tale game and remove all combat and RPG elements. I mean right? thats what everyone here who loves BG3 just wants, to make a boner inducing character and to see everyone naked dancing around a bondfire romancing and arguing for eternity.
Yeah, but Larian wants all the cakes and eat them too. It is a game with robust multiplayer support but also dedicated singleplayer content. A top down, highly customisable adventure, but with pre-made, directed cinematics. It is adaptation of nerdy D&D property that triest to satisfy D&D, D:OS2 and non RPG players. In other words Larian tries to cram many conflicting goals into one game, and to their credit trying to do justice to all. It's one thing to create a product with wide appeal - it is another to create product that will try to be various different products at the same time.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by kanisatha
And furthermore, the artcile itself was completely empty of any meaningful information. It was a pure fluff-piece where Vincke gets to pat himself and his team on the back about how awesome they are. Shame on PC Gamer for allowing themselves to be used for Larian PR.
That's gaming media in the nutshell, no? Then again, as Niara point out, it is difficult to talk about what the game will be before it is finished. Anything said until the game is close to release is nothing more then selling hopes and dreams of what may one day be.

Last edited by Wormerine; 24/03/22 02:17 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
Looks like we’re getting gnomes at least:
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1506981445016948743?s=21

We kinda already knew that, I think. The question is when. In the EA? At release?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
Also Larian, please BEWARE OF THE CYBERPUNK CURSE.
(…)
What makes any 'creative' product a classic, cult, genre-defining is not the fucking surface level niceness or polish, it's the fucking basics that need to be extremely well done.
The issue with “cult-classics” is that they don’t sell well, and aren’t widely appreciated until much later after their release.

What you miss in “cyberpunk curse” is that cyberpunk made a lot of monies. And yes, while graphic age and date the game the more they are the focus of the title, the also sell the game. Hype sells games, and you won’t build hype with sparkly visuals. While investing in presentation might result in worse game, it also make the game more likely to do well.

Originally Posted by Argyle
"I never expected us to be 400 people to make BG3"

I just happen to have my old Shadows of Amn manual right here! Let's look at the end where the credits are listed ... hmmm, I see about 43 voice actors
I am sure Sven didn’t mean contract work, like actors. About 400 is what they have within their studios, which is a massive amount. Not sure if it is a good thing - I remember someone saying that “just bring more people in” is publishers way of solving problems and is not always beneficial - more people for example, won’t result in better designed systems, or better written story and they require training that takes time away from the project. That said, considering that Larian titles seem to lack focus and clear artistic direction and tend to be a tangled mess of conflicting tones, designs and ideas maybe it is their way of just jamming as much stuff into BG3 as possible.

Last edited by Wormerine; 24/03/22 03:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
At the same time current cinematics still lack in quality. So which path should Larian follow?
Was that rhetoric question ... or do you ask for my opinion? laugh
Personaly i dont need cinematic dialogues ... im quite used from games that NPCs are just standing there and from time to time they nod their head a little so they seem like they are speaking. laugh

So ...
My vote goes for 10.000% to "implement as much choices as possible" path.

Sadly i dont think that would be their decision. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
They desire the sexiness of the D&D IP and the Baldur's Gate legacy (for marketing); gotta pimp the company name, after all. But...as for a faithful implementation of either?

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

old hand
old hand

^ Jump to 3:30.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

I am really not interested in a new(er) studio trying to push their identity through a beloved established series. Sadly, this only confirms my initial suspicions of BG3. The game could still be decent on its own merits, sure, but it won't be Baldur's Gate.

veteran
veteran
Perhaps it's the ecstasy I've been slipping into the morning cereal but I'm happier with this interview than many others and I see some signs that Larian is listening to critics:

we could scale it down, or we could scale ourselves up. And so we chose to scale ourselves up.

That's good news. I mean BG1 was all about just walking into random houses and getting quests. I've never measured hours completionist run takes me about 2 weeks. We'll see if this is what we actually get but the goal is the right one.

And while I share everyone's skepticism on this statement:

"The benchmark incarnation of 5th Edition in a videogame," he said. "That's what we're trying to do. I think it's already very good, and it's still getting better

I'm happy that we are no longer getting "we made a 5e game, it wasn't very much fun so we decided . . ." Of course I have I share the skepticism that this is what we're going to get but at least the goal is clearer now. If they want to Larianize the game with optional, skippable lightning themed items I'm okay with that as long you don't need those to complete a quest or defeat a boss.

Happy spring everyone.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Perhaps it's the ecstasy I've been slipping into the morning cereal but I'm happier with this interview than many others and I see some signs that Larian is listening to critics:

we could scale it down, or we could scale ourselves up. And so we chose to scale ourselves up.

That's good news. I mean BG1 was all about just walking into random houses and getting quests. I've never measured hours completionist run takes me about 2 weeks. We'll see if this is what we actually get but the goal is the right one.
Sure, but I have doubts if some things Larian upscaled itself for are worth pursuing. Maybe Larian is having some aces up their sleeve, but between their previous titles and what we have seen in EA I feel it is pretty obvious where they are going with this title - and at least for me, it is not a terribly exciting vision.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
If they want to Larianize the game with optional, skippable lightning themed items I'm okay with that as long you don't need those to complete a quest or defeat a boss.

Any "Larianization" is too much; that is time and effort that could have been spent making a proper Baldur's Gate 3.

veteran
veteran
Bioware made one game, a mech sim, before making BG. You never know with these things.

veteran
veteran
I haven't seen a single complaint from you; all I have seen is cheerleading. Even the people generally on board with this game have raised an objection or two (minor or otherwise).

Oh leave Icelyn alone you big grump. We have enough Debbie downers on this forum as it is (including me). They're a splash of positivity in an otherwise all too serious forum.

throw some confetti, you might enjoy it

celebrate celebrate celebrate

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Oh leave Icelyn alone you big grump. We have enough Debbie downers on this forum as it is (including me). They're a splash of positivity in an otherwise all too serious forum.

throw some confetti, you might enjoy it

celebrate celebrate celebrate

Come now...I too can be positive; in fact, I am positive that this game - in its present state - is far too muddled.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Adding more people to the project is a fallacy that has been known for decades as Brooks's law, usually summed up as "nine women can't make a baby in one month".

It is possible that Larian has avoided, or tried to avoid, this pitfall. For example, it usually doesn't apply when you add people early on in the process. Another important aspect to consider is where they added these people to? QA, for example, is relatively easy to scale up with more people; working on their engine's core, not so much.

If anything that Swen said about the development process has any connection to reality, they should have been hiring DevOps engineers, so they would be able to automate more, and leave actual humans to do the creative stuff, be it engine redesign or dialogue's writing. Although I can imagine the horror in their eyes when they realise that, instead of using industry-standard tools, they have to deal with a smorgasbord of clunky inhouse-built crap. They have a single position on their Careers page that looks like a DevOps engineer, but it's just a single one, and I don't know how long it has been there.

M
M
If you want to be the benchmark implementation of 5E, you would have to actually implement the 5E rules as they are written. BG3 isn't even close to that. It's a homebrew with major mechanical changes to the game.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard