Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#812340 27/03/22 03:29 AM
Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So Swen has said this about the game a few times. What do you guys think that means? If Baldur's Gate was, say, 4xEAs in size that sounds pretty big. Or 10 Novigrads with every building fully accessible.

Have they said much else about the scope of the story. It seems like a jaunt in Avernum is possible, originally when they said that the EA was most of Act I, I'd tempered my expectations a little, but it really doesn't have to have much bearing on the acts to come.

The way scale and distances in DOS:2 were treated also had me temper my expectations a little, with maps feeling more like King's Bounty or Heroes Quest in terms of size and scale. That sensibility kind of shows in the EA too.

But Swen really talking up the size of the game does give me some hope.

old hand
old hand
That's what he said.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's what he said.

veteran
veteran
Even 1 Novigrad with every building fully accesible would be more than enough in my honest opinion ...

10 times as much would mean basicaly size of whole curent EA map (of surface). :-/
Wich seems a little too much. :-/
Especialy once you start counting that every building can have more floors, cellars, maybe some catacombs and stuff ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/03/22 09:05 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Honestly, the game in itself is inevitably going to be massive, no matter what, given all the choices and consequences. I don't really care if the city itself isn't massive, as long as the story is awesome.

D
addict
addict
D
If he puts some of that massive team to work on a day night cycle the game will feel twice as big.

addict
addict
If it's genuinely representative of the maps that exist of BG ( rather than the very truncated BG1/2 representation ) then I would estimate 2500 buildings for the Inner City, and another 1500 for the Outer City and Wyrm's Crossing. Practically speaking, that is probably too many buildings for Larian to model, and also I would expect to get very lost in such a warren. It would be cool to get lost, though.

Halving the representation in both X and Y would give you 1000 buildings, which may be more realistic. With the Inner City having many buildings clustered along narrow passages, and the game being quite vertical, I could see a lot of rooftop jumping and the like without ever representing most building interiors.

But there are so many teasers in EA about factions, quests and events "when you get to Baldur's Gate" that the City is most likely to be the most important location in the game, so I am definitely looking forward to seeing how they make it convincing.

Last edited by etonbears; 27/03/22 08:31 PM. Reason: better words
old hand
old hand
Quality over quantity.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Quality over quantity.

Until you literally get "reductio ad absurdum", like Neverwinter in NWN2.

old hand
old hand
I have an extremely hard time believing they will map out the ENTIRE damn city. Very likely, we'll get parts of various sections in the city. That's totally fine.

old hand
old hand
I'd rather have a moderately-sized area fully fleshed out that is surrounded by a convincing illusion of breadth than an expansive region that is fairly shallow.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Very likely, we'll get parts of various sections in the city. That's totally fine.
More likely that we will get one continues map that doesn't make much urban geographical sense, like act1 map.

journeyman
journeyman
It either has to be big, or it has to be seperated into sections that aren't congruent. There are too many key landmarks thanks to lore, previous games, and literature. I get that people want to be able to enter every home, building, and crypt in the city, I really do, but that in itself is unrealistic. You can't do this in real life without getting arrested or risking your life, The same should hold true in game. This whole I can just wander into and loot every home I come across as I interrogate the owner who stands their calmly answering my questions as if nothing is wrong is just stupid. Doors should be locked, home owners should be aggressive, and danger should be associated with every uninvited entry a party makes.

old hand
old hand
Eh, realism is overrated (especially when dealing with escapist fantasy); besides which, you could enter most houses in Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 without being immediately assaulted.

veteran
veteran
I'm just going to assume it's going to be disappointingly small and then hopefully be pleasantly surprised

Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Always a good policy

Last edited by Sozz; 29/03/22 12:56 AM. Reason: you handsome devil
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dustmen
Doors should be locked, home owners should be aggressive, and danger should be associated with every uninvited entry a party makes.
Indeed ...
But from map perspective ... just so you can even try to achieve this ... first you have to have every building accesible. laugh

veteran
veteran
I just hope it doesn't get too big and thus my computer won't be able to handle it.

veteran
veteran
If that would be the case, i would probably not mind at all if they would cut the city into several smaller areas, separated by loading ...
Just as we have it now between surface and Underdark ... or Underdark and Grymforge ...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dustmen
Doors should be locked, home owners should be aggressive, and danger should be associated with every uninvited entry a party makes.
By modern standard yes, but people weren't always so distrustful at least in certain parts of the world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard