Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
It works very well in another "open world" tactical turn based rpg named Wartales in which you also often have to rest (currently in EA too).
On top of that, you can control/limit your % to have a random encounter.

Even Icelyn and Ragnarok would probably not complain about random encounters in this game.
Never played Wartales but if you can limit your % chance to have a random encounter to zero that sounds good. grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
It works very well in another "open world" tactical turn based rpg named Wartales in which you also often have to rest (currently in EA too).

Even Icelyn and Ragnarok would probably not complain about random encounters in this game.
Never played Wartales but if you can limit your % chance to have a random encounter to zero that sounds good. grin

Honestly, they should be able to have a setting for that. That wouldn't be too hard to do.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
That's scripted encounters.
I would realy love to know the difference.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Just rest in town or village and it's 0%.
In the wild you can reduce ot A LOT if you don't sleep too close to ennemies patrol. Forests can also help.

It should not be hard to create something interresting in BG3.

Let's say :

0% in
- Druid grove if druids and/or tieefling are alive/not hostile
- Goblin's camp if goblins are alive/not hostile
- Blighted village if goblins are alive
- Zentharim's hideout if they're alive/not hostile

10%
- Everywhere else, including when you're fast travelling
- Empty druid grove
- Empty goblin's camp
- Empty blighted village
- Empty Zentharim's hideout

20%
- Druid grove if druids and/or tieffling are hostile
- Goblin's camp if goblins are hostile
- Blighted village if goblins are hostile (never understood why everyone doesn't turn hostile when you attack a group)
- Zentharim's hideout if they're hostile

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
That's scripted encounters.
I would realy love to know the difference.

If an encounter is planned it's not a random encounter.
Your exemple is litteraly Halsin coming for revenge the next night if the player side with Minthara. It's definitely not random at all.

But a random encounter has not always to be a combat (i.e a chance to meet a roaming merchant, a "generic" dialog with looters during which you can choose to give money not to fight...).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/03/22 06:05 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Chm ... that seems to me like exact oposite of what sublimeclown hoped for. :-/

veteran
veteran

Yes... or maybe not.
It could probably be possible to have another "random encounter table" depending your actions.

Possible random encounter if you sided with Minthara = random druids, wolves, looters, spiders, friendly merchant,...
Possible random encounter if you sided with Halsin = random goblins, wolves, looters, spiders, friendly merchant,...

They just can't make random an encounter with Halsin because it would mean that players fighting against wolves are missing a part of the story.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/03/22 08:12 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
S

I’d be fine with both random and non-random camp encounters. Raphael for instance is a scripted encounter that will obviously be important to the plot. But I’d like a chance for, say, a group of goblins to stumble across you in the night. Not because you necessarily did something to piss them off, but just a random event. But I’d love for them to at least say something when they find you. Even if it’s just that they want to loot your dead bodies lol. I guess the bigger question would be… would all of the companions join in the fight? And we just control 4 of them?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
I guess the bigger question would be… would all of the companions join in the fight? And we just control 4 of them?

It's a very good question I never thought about but your solution could be very interresting.

It could make random encounter faster than usual combats but also very different, adding at the same time value to companions staying at the camp.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
I guess the bigger question would be… would all of the companions join in the fight? And we just control 4 of them?

It's a very good question I never thought about but your solution could be very interresting.

It could make random encounter faster than usual combats but also very different, adding at the same time value to companions staying at the camp.

Oooh! I like.

Of course, party of 6, which I'd love to have, would make it no different between regular adventuring and camp fights.

veteran
veteran
I dunno ... im still not quite convinced, cant say i would be "against" random encounters ...
(especialy if they would be optional, as Icelyn said ... note that i say "as Icelyn said" not "as Maximuuus said to Icelyn that she can reduce the % by tediously travel elsewhere" ... k?)
Its more like i just dont see any point for them to exist. :-/

So far i just dont have even the slightest feeling, that Larian is planning to restrict our resting in any way ... and adding random encounters would only force (or more like push) me to rest even more often, wich would only make the game more tedious for me, bcs my personal main focus is story ... :-/

I gues im just V in this scenario:
(Image is not working ... so here is the link)
https://i.giantitp.com//comics/oots/oots0145.gif

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/03/22 01:46 PM.

veteran
veteran
In which games did you have the feeling that you were resting too much because of random encounters ?
And what's the problem with resting """often""" if resting is a coherent mechanic ?

It is only a problem in BG3 because resting is only a button and that heal your party.
The only think we have to think about in this game it is how often we will spam that button that never have any consequences or other related mechanics than "healing" you (oh yes the boring, poorly implemented and finally uninterresting food supply mechanic).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/03/22 05:43 PM.

S
S
I’d really be fine with or without random encounters. I don’t think they really prevent people from spamming long rest because they can’t be so difficult that you are unable to beat them with few/no spell slots. Personally, I just really enjoy combat in the game so it would be fun to have more battles and more variety of enemies. Also a chance to try out different abilities you might not normally use since you’re about to long rest anyway (that’s what I end up doing in Solasta).

veteran
veteran
In which games did you have the feeling that you were resting too much because of random encounters ?
I have better question:
Where did i say that i had this feeling in some other game? O_o

if resting is a coherent mechanic ?
Well, that alone is quite big "if" isnt it?

It is only a problem in BG3 because resting is only a button and that heal your party.
You wish ...

As far as i know resting usualy mean:
Selecting long rest, confriming long rest, loading to your camp, running for suplies, giving suplies to fire, checking suplies (or clicking autocheck), confriming what you just did, another loading ... if you are unlucky, some dialogue (you allready seen thousand times, or its about one of your party members you dont like anyway ... cough, cough, Astarion, cough) you may not really care about ... yet another loading ... morning sumarisation of previous dialogue, if you were unlucky ... yet another loading ...
And THEN (and only then) you are ready to go.

Yes, those separate things usualy dont take much than few seconds ... with some exceptions ...
But its certainly a lot more tedious than "only a button that heal your party". laugh
Especialy when you WANT continue main plot.

The only think we have to think about in this game it is how often we will spam that button
Indeed ... so horrible.

While when there would be random encounters ... what exactly would change, except we would feel even stronger urge to spam that stupid non-consequence button as often as possible, bcs our whole progress since last save can be technicaly erased by any time just bcs random number generator just throwed out bad value?

veteran
veteran
Not horrible, just uninterresting at all. Having to do more than 1 click does not change the fact that the resting button is just a button that doesn't require you to think about anything else than click on it.

The question "In which games did you have the feeling that you were resting too much because of random encounters ?" was rethoric because to my knowledge, there aren't any games in which players have the feeling to rest "too often" because of random encounter.
The fact that you may rest "more often" is not a problem at all as proven by many other games. It's not even " resting more often", it's just resting when you think you have to.

The fact that there's nothing to think about when having to rest is a problem as BG3 has proven.
That's exactly why we're talking about it since the beginning with different arguments and why Larian added a food supply mechanic.
Mechanic that, in the end does not really satisfy anyone (some are still complaining that it's still not restrictive, others are complaning that it's too much restrictive).

Random encounters neither limit your rests, neither force you to rest "more often".
It just create mechanical conditions that forces the players to think about the best moment and that forces him to think a bit about ressources management.

I can't find it anymore but I read an article a few monthes ago from a game designer saying that video games are cheating a lot with players to improve the experience. Sometimes it's obvious but sometimes it's not. I don't remember the best exemples but to give one... They're cheating with us to make us beleive that our choices matter.

In a way, random encounters are some kind of devs cheat that makes the player believe that he should be cautious with his ressources and the resting button.
They create "psychological" limitations (to rest or to continue) but without any mechanical limitations. Buit it's mostly in the players head : random encounters are often easy but it has consequences on how the game is played.

(As I already said, just as mechanical limitations can be boring, random encounters can be too. It has to be well done).

In many games players just do a quick save before resting... just as most players probably do before engaging the ennemy. Auto save is also a solution so that's not at all an issue.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/03/22 07:28 PM.

veteran
veteran
At this point I think that long and short resting should be limited, or rather discouraged, by both Random Encounters done well, and by food and drink. They should also be limited by location. These are probably the easiest implementations that they could do with minimal work involved.

And I would like to see them either incorporate the current mini camps on to the game map or just get rid of those completely and have resting areas that are already on the map as we've already discussed.

As Max said, Random Encounters and food and drink if done well would not really limit long rest spamming, but it would discourage it. If you know that you could potentially get attacked by yet another Goblin party on your way back to a safe zone, you might risk shutting the door in the Goblin base where you just rescued Halsin. You might risk setting a watch and then doing a short rest to just recover some of your resources enough to maybe continue on to fight the goblin leaders. If you shut the door inside one of those areas, you know the risk of a random encounter will be lower than if you try to risk fast travel back to The Grove. It makes you think and have to try to decide what risk is greater.

And the food was more limited, not so much so that it frustrates players, it also creates this idea in your head that you would better be careful about how much you actually long rest. You might search around for food a whole lot more. Having more of a scarce food supply would also add value to the ranger class. They could then use their survival skill with advantage in their favorite terrain to forage for food. Thus rangers wouldn't have to worry as much as other classes about food shortages. Druids could also use goodberry to not have to worry about food as much. These kind of things have no value currently because you can find so much food that you can rest forever and never run out.

As for location, I thought it was a really good idea that you should not be able to rest until you have unlocked either a fast travel point or a camp. If you drop down into the underdark, you shouldn't be able to fast travel to camp until you found one of these things. Likewise, in the beginning, you shouldn't be able to Long rest until you find a camp beyond the nautiloid.

As for short rest, I still think that they should also be discouraged more by the same type of elements. There should be a lesser food requirement, a chance for Random Encounters, but as far as location, I think that you should be able to short rest anywhere. I'm still on the fence about limiting short rests to only two per day. Allowing characters to take more short rests encourages using them more than doing a long rest.

My point about short rest is that right now they are hard limiting it to only two per day. I'd like to see them lift that hard limiting and apply the same concept as long rest except that short rests cost a whole lot less than long rests and are less risky. Maybe the food cost for a long rest is 10 times that of a short rest and the risk of a random encounter in a dangerous place for a short rest is like 1/10th the chance of a long rest. So you could do a short rest in a hostile Goblin camp with the door shut to the room you're in, and it would only be like a 5% chance of a random encounter and like 10 food. Meanwhile, if you try to Long rest in the same place, it would be a hundred food and like 50% chance of being caught by a random encounter.

veteran
veteran
Short version of above. My suggestion is:

Short Rest

- No longer hard limited to 2 (either 4 or unlimited)
- Instead, discouraged by food cost. Maybe 10 Camp Supplies per Short Rest.
- Random Encounters may occur during Short Rest. The more dangerous the area, the greater the chance. Maybe 1-10% chance, 10% being hostile, alert goblin camp kind of thing.

Long Rest

- Must unlock location first (such as in Underdark)
- Discouraged by food cost. Maybe 10 times Short Rest Cost
- Random Encounters may occur. 10 times the chance of encounter as Short Rest. So, if 2% chance for Short Rest, it's a 20% chance for Long. Closing doors or finding hiding places reduces chance.

Give characters the ability to make Survival checks to forage or hunt for food. Ranger would then benefit from Favored Terrain.

veteran
veteran
Not horrible, just uninterresting at all.
Thats exactly how i see random encounters. :-/

The fact that there's nothing to think about when having to rest is a problem as BG3 has proven.
This is where our opinions differ ...
I dont see any problem in it, and cant quite understand (im not even sure if anyone at least tryed to explain the reason honestly) that you do. :-/

Mechanic that, in the end does not really satisfy anyone (some are still complaining that it's still not restrictive, others are complaning that it's too much restrictive).
Lets be honest with each other for a second ...
"Not really satisfy anyone" was Larian only choice, unless they didnt want to completely satisfy one group, and compeltely piss off the other one. laugh

neither force you to rest "more often"
This isnt true ...

Right now, when you finish any fight you can continue in the story ... some of your resources were deplenished, but nothing happens really.
Since once you reach some other combat, you usualy get echo before that happened ... the only other situations i can think about are Bulette (where you indeed are ambushed, but you can quite easily avoid the fight unless one of your characters get knock prone), Bernard (where basicaly you started the fight, even tho it was hidden behind small riddle), Duergar Slavers (where you CAN talk out of the situation) ... i hope i didnt forgot any other.
In all other cases you see your potential enemies much sooner than they attack, so you can allways simply say to yourself "nah, i dont feel for this encounter, i rather rest before that".
No force, no pressure, all in your own hands.

But once random encounters are implemented, you never know when, where, or what will attack you ...
So again, once you finish any fight ... you *know* that you can be attacked again.
There is no "chill exploration, nobdy cares that you dont have spellslosts left" phase ... you either are combat ready, or you risk dying ... nothing in between. laugh

Sure, it dont "force" players in some way as if there would be sign saying "you NEED to Long Rest now, to continue playing this game" ...
But i dare to presume we are talking seriously and dont quibble. wink

They're cheating with us to make us beleive that our choices matter.
I dont need article to know this ... i played BioWare games. laugh

In a way, random encounters are some kind of devs cheat that makes the player believe that he should be cautious with his ressources and the resting button.
This is where you are wrong ...
You are describing effect of those mechanics on you specificaly, and the reason you are wrong is that your own perception of that mechanic is ... lets say alterned by your tabletop experience.

While random encounters means for you:
I can be attacked, i should carefully decide wich resources i save for later, and wich i shall use ...

But for other player it can easily mean:
I can be attacked, so after i use everything i have in this fight, i should travel those few dozen seconds back to the last safe spot and rest there to replenish them.

And for yet another player it can easily mean:
I can be attacked ... well, if i do, i simply run away. :P

And there would probably be another approaches i didnt think about.
The point is, that you cant apply *your* approach to whole playerbase ... wink

(As I already said, just as mechanical limitations can be boring, random encounters can be too. It has to be well done).
And as Icelyn said (much more politely laugh ) ... part of "well done" in my eyes would be turning that shit off in settings. :P laugh

Auto save is also a solution so that's not at all an issue.
Actualy Auto Save is an issue ... but that is topic for itself. laugh
As far as i know, *right now* we still have only check points, nothing else.

They should also be limited by location. These are probably the easiest implementations that they could do with minimal work involved.
And zero effect ...

Take Hag's Lair, the only "danger zone" in EA as far as i know ...

Player A:
Managed his resources equally ... spend just some on first encoutner, save the rest for Hag herself ...

Player B:
Didnt managed them at all ... nuke masked party, spend an hour killing Hag ...

Player C:
Saved resources for Hag ... spend an hour killing masked party, nuke Hag ...

Player D:
Screwed any manage ... nuked masked party, run out, rest, nuked Hag ...

Surprise, surprise ...
All 4 players was me. laugh
Result is allways the same, even tho some versions was a little more challenging than others (especialy trying to kill Masks without spending any resources, that challenge can be BRUTAL if Vengeance mask gets close to you) ... and yes, some cost me a few more potions after the fight. laugh

But the only pracital effect you get, if you create "danger zone" where you cant rest ...
Is that people who will NEED (feel free to read it as WANT) to rest, shall simply invest few seconds to run out of it ... so, basicaly all you created is anoyance for people who dont play your way. laugh

//Edit:
Just for the record ... i know you people hate self-moderation ...
But did you know that if you so desperately want to have "danger zones" all you need to do is simply not rest there yourself?

I mean the result is exactly the same ... minus that anoyance for people who dont really care. laugh
So ... you dont rest there > you happy ... i can rest there > me happy.
That sounds like thousand times better scenario. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 29/03/22 01:05 PM.

veteran
veteran
Except that it's more than just being about limiting resting. It's about creating a living and breathing world that isn't static and scripted. It's about bringing monsters you've never faced before into the game at random moments. It creates more of a sense of danger, that you weren't just able to heal and rest whenever you want and wherever you want. For people like me and Max, it adds a whole other level of excitement to the game.

And the hag lair is definitely not the only danger zone in the game. At least it shouldn't be based on the story. When you crash on the beach, that should be a danger zone. You find bodies lying everywhere and you know that intellect devourers are lurking around, possibly mind flayers, and then later you find Goblin corpses. The cutscene even indicates that goblins are coming to investigate. That whole area before you reach the Grove should be a danger zone. The Crypt should be one of the only safe zones in the beginning, and that only after you have killed off The mercenaries.

So, in the beginning, you shouldn't even be able to short rest without a chance of a random encounter. Forget long rest. You are amidst a burning wreckage of an enemy flying ship with enemies possibly lurking around every corner. Story wise, this is the sense they give you, but then they don't follow through with it. There are a few scripted encounters and then you move on.

And any place outside the Grove should be a danger zone. Goblins are supposed to be hunting for you as well as cultists. If you try to rest at all anywhere outside the Grove, there should be some sort of danger there of encountering an enemy.

Yes, you could just run back to The Grove, and that might be annoying to do, in order to avoid a random encounter, but the point is that at least something is discouraging you from just spamming rest anywhere. Besides that, again, if done well, it adds the element of danger to the area.

Think back to the last pfh. He short rested as a cat in the very heart of the spider layer with the spiders hunting around for him. That's the kind of ridiculous thing that we're talking about here. The whole spider layer should be a danger zone that you can't just rest in by clicking a button. If he threw the druid into that area, and that Drew it needed to rest, he should have to try to sneak out of the heart of that deadly area before he is able to rest.

veteran
veteran
It's about creating a living and breathing world that isn't static and scripted.
That is just covenient excuse ... vague slogan ... something you can hide behind, while you demand something for yourself, so it seems you are aiming for "greater good" ... same as when plastic straws were banned in our country, and now we can only buy paper one "in order to save enviroment", while it certainly have nothing to do with the fact that paper one will last aproximately 100 times less, so you need to buy much more of them (and gues what material they use for packaging them? That right, plastic bags). laugh

World would be just the same ... only occasionaly something will ambush you.

You are talking here about Short rests ... so if you dont use short rest, world will not change at all.

And even if you would make random encounters also tied to certain places (since its not technicaly possible to just spawn enemies anywhere) you were talking about 10% chance ... so you would need to run through totally dead and emply Goblin Willage ten times, to certainly meet single Goblin Patrol that would attack you ...

How would that make world any more believable? O_o
It would make much more sense that once their main army was slaughtered, every other goblin run away ... therefore this place SHOULD be just as empty and abandoned as it is. :-/

It's about bringing monsters you've never faced before into the game at random moments.
There is no randomness in cyberspace ... im trying to explain this for you for last few months. :-/

Every-single-encounter that is in game NEEDS to be created specificaly ...
There is no way to write "add random encounter somewhere on the map" and let engine to deal with the rest. laugh

You still need to set spawn positions, need to implement possible enemies, need to implement some behaviour for them ... and in Larian specific case, need to create them one-by-one ... if you keep attention, there is no two same Goblins in whole game. :-/
They are similar, yes ... but all of them have unique models, unique names, equipment and stuff ...

And IF someone should spend the time creating those enemies, spawning them, seting their behaviour ...
It just seems much better to me to let them there for everyone.

It still seems to me like you really imagine it as "spawn 10 goblins here" and work done. laugh But it isnt. :-/

EXAMPLE:
Use curent state of the World ... imagine for example those goblins that are on roofs in Blighted Willage ...
<IF> (and this is important part) they would be Random Encounter ... okey?

*You enter Blighted Willage*
*Random Number Generator rolls 1d10* ... chance for encounter 10% ...
1 > fight as we have it.
2-10 > nothing.

See the problem?
All that work with preparing encounter is wasted for 9 of 10 players!
And for what?
So 1 of 10 players have one more fight, he didnt expect? :-/
Is that really so much better than just keep it as it is, and let everyone have that fight?

For people like me and Max, it adds a whole other level of excitement to the game.
Good for you i gues ...
For people like Me and Icelyn (sory im using you like that laugh ) it would probably add whole new level of frustration. laugh

Now, the question im asking right now is why should Larian invest time, people and money into creating something that would frustrate half of their comunity ... while it pleases the other one ... when its easier, cheaper, and kinda more effective, to simply wait for Moders to create it as optional feature only for those who want it, and have whole comunity happy for free? laugh

And the hag lair is definitely not the only danger zone in the game.
Challence accepted!
Show me screenshot of any other. :P :P :P

The Crypt should be one of the only safe zones in the beginning, and that only after you have killed off The mercenaries.
Cant say i follow ...
Why should be crypt any safer than outside world?
Goblins are "based on the story" as you said, somehow restricted to enter abandoned buildings? Especialy when "based on the story" as you said, those goblins are LOOKING FOR SOMEONE ... and even more especialy "based on the story" as you said, when those ruins are full of fresh corpses of mercenaries you and your party just killed? laugh laugh laugh

If you wish to use roaming and searching goblins as an argument for outside world ... you should aply them to any unfortified, or at least unobstructed areas without any guards. laugh

So, in the beginning, you shouldn't even be able to short rest without a chance of a random encounter. Forget long rest. You are amidst a burning wreckage of an enemy flying ship with enemies possibly lurking around every corner. Story wise, this is the sense they give you, but then they don't follow through with it.
Since we are talking about "story wise" ...
You should also take under concideration that your character just wake up after being kidnapped and impregnated with alien tadpole, went through hells, fighted with monsters across whole nautiloid, faced Mind Flayer, Demon and Dragon, were few times teleported through planes, and finaly get hard hit to head and in the end enjoyed quite long fall. laugh

Sure, the place "can be" dangerous ... but "story wise" as you said, it should be understandable that our characters are exhausted enough to risk it anyway, even tho you "still have all your spellslots". laugh

There are a few scripted encounters and then you move on.
I really think we should use word "planned" or "static" or "regular" for them ... since every encounter have to be scripted, even random one. wink

If you try to rest at all anywhere outside the Grove, there should be some sort of danger there of encountering an enemy.
Why?
See that is the problem, i know you "just want it" ... but outside of that, what would be the reason?

I mean "story wise" as you said ... that Nautiloid just droped there ... so, yes it indeed makes sense that those goblins we have seen running out searching for us, will be swarming around pretty soon ... but that also means "not now". wink

Yes, you could just run back to The Grove, and that might be annoying to do, in order to avoid a random encounter, but the point is that at least something is discouraging you from just spamming rest anywhere.
Indeed ...

And my point was that the only thing that "wants" me to be discouraged to spamming rest anywhere, is you. laugh

I dont want to be discouraged to rest anywhere, i do want to rest anywhere ... i dont usualy, but i want that option ... and i can, therefore im happy. laugh
YOU are the one who wants to be discouraged to rest anywhere, and if you dont want to rest anywhere ... the easiest way to achieve that is simply dont ... and then, you should be happy. laugh

And the best part:
If you dont, we both gets perfect game experience for oureself. wink

Think back to the last pfh. He short rested as a cat in the very heart of the spider layer with the spiders hunting around for him.
Yup, i have seen it ... and it didnt affect any of my playthroughs even a little bit. laugh
Thats the luxury of Single Player games. wink

Now imagine that game would be created the way YOU want it ...
He would be compeltely fucked.

Such great gaming experience indeed. xD

That's the kind of ridiculous thing that we're talking about here.[/quote]
From my perspective, the most ridiculous thing around here is the fact, that we are even talking about it. laugh

The whole spider layer should be a danger zone that you can't just rest in by clicking a button.
And if you feel like that, simply dont.
Voila! You have exactly what you want. laugh

If he threw the druid into that area, and that Drew it needed to rest, he should have to try to sneak out of the heart of that deadly area before he is able to rest.
Cant really say i dont see your point ...
But the only outcome i see is one frustrated, anoyed and angry player from game that is ridiculously hard for him, just bcs some guy somewhere decided "it would be better experience like this". laugh

Wanna know a secret?
"Better experience" is when more people are pleased. wink

S
S
I haven't played in a while... can you fast travel out of a danger zone? If not, that seems like the easiest solution for long rest spam. As the game progresses, have bigger and bigger danger zones where you can't fast travel or long rest. So you have to backtrack or keep going until you find a safe spot. As for backtracking, that's where "random" encounters would be useful (even if they aren't really completely random, to Ragnarok's point). Essentially, there would be certain areas where enemies might appear, even if you've cleared that area already. That would add a sense of danger to backtracking, which might require you to use stealth, invisibility, etc. to avoid combat if your party is in bad shape. It might not be the most elegant solution, but I don't see why they couldn't implement this with the current engine.

Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard