Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
old hand
old hand
R
Only the Ranger in BG3 has been completely overhauled so that its functions would not be useless as is sometimes the case in 5e (and be even more in BG3).
Just to remind you that the natural explorer and the favored enemy have nothing to do (except the name) with how they work in 5e).

The favored enemy instead of focusing on a specific type of enemy and not doing the rest, instead gives your character some profiniency and (sometimes) a spell.
They are: Bounty Hunter, Keeper of the Veil, Mage Breaker, Ranger Knight and Sanctified Stalker.
The most interesting of all this is definitely the Ranger Knight with heavy armor.
Natural explorer also got a lot of changes, you can choose free find familiar (worst option), sleight of hand or resistance to cold, fire or ice.

Overall, Ranger in BG3 looks much better than in 5e because it is not good in a few situations and useless for the rest of the time, unless DM adjusts campaigns to a given character.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 29/03/22 12:30 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Only the Ranger in BG3 has been completely overhauled so that its functions would not be useless as is sometimes the case in 5e (and be even more in BG3).
Just to remind you that the natural explorer and the favored enemy have nothing to do (except the name) with how they work in 5e).

The favored enemy instead of focusing on a specific type of enemy and not doing the rest, instead gives your character some profiniency and (sometimes) a spell.
They are: Bounty Hunter, Keeper of the Veil, Mage Breaker, Ranger Knight and Sanctified Stalker.
The most interesting of all this is definitely the Ranger Knight with heavy armor.
Natural explorer also got a lot of changes, you can choose free find familiar (worst option), sleight of hand or resistance to cold, fire or ice.

Overall, Ranger in BG3 looks much better than in 5e because it is not good in a few situations and useless for the rest of the time, unless DM adjusts campaigns to a given character.

Wow. You really think 5e rangers suck? I have yet to have a bad, useless ranger in a 5e session, and usually someone is a ranger. I suppose it might depend on the campaign, but then I've got a Descent into Avernus going on with a Drow Ranger/ Hunter, and so far she's been quite the MVP. Granted, admittedly, she hasn't used Favored Terrain, but they just left Baldur's Gate. So, we'll see.

I don't know if I care for the overhauled BG3 subclasses, but thank you for bringing them up. I didn't have them in front of me and couldn't remember them. If someone does know what they all do, it would be good to have details so anyone reading this can see the overall differences.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by GM4Him
They tweaked it. Yes. It used to consume a Superiority dice even if you missed. It doesn't now. You select the maneuver you want to do, and if you hit you use the die. Otherwise you don't. I've tested it out multiple times. It works pretty well.

And you do get them back with a short rest.

One thing BG3 does better than Solasta, in my opinion, is that Solasta does have too many pauses in combat to have popup windows ask you if you want to apply something. Examples: Barbarian Frenzy and Paladin Smite. If I hit, a popup asks me, "Do you want to apply XYZ special ability, and at what level?"

I do like how maneuvers work in BG3. I'd rather select the maneuver as if it's an attack, and if I hit the damage is automatically applies. Same with Sneak Attack and so forth. It's annoying after awhile in Solasta because EVERY time my paladin hits, I get the window asking if I want to apply smite damage. That gets REAL old. Is much rather have a separate button I click to activate the ability before attacking at what level I want and if it hits it applies. SO much less clunky.

That said, I think they could still make it better in BG3. Like they could be 1 button, not 1 for ranged and 1 for melee. Just one button that applies to whatever weapon you have in hand. That way, they wouldn't clutter up the hotbars. Want to do Disarm maneuver? If you have your sword in hand and hit the Disarm button, it automatically applies to your sword if you hit. We don't need so many dang buttons for every ability in the game.

Oh, and I might want to apply Sneak Attack to off hand, not main. I should be able to select Sneak Attack and then Off Hand Attack and have it apply. This could be done by having main hand vs. off hand be a toggle (replacing Single/ Duel toggle). So, it is set to Main by default. All Sneak Attacks, etc. Apply to main. However, of you want to switch Sneak Attack to off hand, flip the toggle.

When equipped with 2 weapons, game should default to attacking with main, and if you click on the enemy again you immediately attack with off hand so you don't have to hit an extra button to attack with off hand. Only if you hit the toggle and flip it to off hand would it attack with that hand first. Afterwards it would default back to main.

But anyway, the point is that I like BG3's implementation of maneuvers. I want more options now, and maybe have it cleaned up a bit without so many buttons.

I disagree. I personally prefer the popups for Maneuvers and Smites due to the versatility of choice I have. Its different from initiating it yourself ala a button because when it comes to smites, what if I crit? You are damn right I want to smite then and there with my highest level smite slot! If I don't crit, well, unless the enemy is low on HP, I'm gonna save my spell slots.

When it comes to Maneuvers its almost the same thing. When it comes to Precision attack, maybe I have Great Weapon Master with that -5, and I'll wait to use it after I rolled my attack to see what I rolled to hit. If its low, I'd rather not waste it. If its middling, I might choose to use it to get that hit. If I crit, well I'll use that dice for damage.

Having the Smites, Maneuvers and Sneak attack being a button I have to press feels wrong. Especially Sneak attack. Just have it be automatic!

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I hadn't thought about crits. That is true. If you crit and THEN pick Smite Level 3, that makes a huge difference as opposed to picking Smite Level 1 and then getting a crit and wishing you HAD picked Level 3.

Maneuvers aren't wasted if you miss, so picking them beforehand isn't that big of a deal except, again, with crits. So I do see your point there.

However, it is very annoying to constantly get a popup with my paladin every single time he strikes an enemy - especially after getting 2 attacks per turn.

As for Sneak Attack, I'd like a toggle, tbh. Pick which attack you want to apply it to, and it just auto-applies it every time to that attack. Toggle to Off Hand and it'll apply to Off Hand. Toggle to Main and it will apply to Main - whenever conditions apply that is.

I'm not sure what the best solution is for Smite and/or Maneuvers, but I do see your point about Crits. Also, if an enemy's health is relatively low, and you think you can kill them without Smite, you may want to just NOT Smite if you rolled a Crit. So like, if the mama spider has 15 HP left, and you roll a crit with a greatsword, you have a good chance of dealing more than 15 damage with 4d6 (let's say strength 16)+3. So why would you want to waste something like Smite when you'll probably kill her with 4d6. However, you might want to use smite if you did a regular hit and only get 2d6+3.

veteran
veteran
3-stage toggle. "Off" / "Ask me" / "On"

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

This would be perfect. Ask me for Maneuvers, Smites, On for Sneak attack, Ask me for AOO, etc etc.

veteran
veteran
Suggested that 7 months ago. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Suggested that 7 months ago. laugh

Somebody get this person a gold star! He thought of it first.

Like everything else that is good, it bears repeating so maybe Larian will do it.[

I also think some others suggested this months ago.

Ultimately, let's get rid of excess action buttons.

Toggle for Main Hand - switch to Off Hand. This designates which hand you default to when you hover over an enemy and the Attack icon appears. Click on enemy, attack with default hand first. Click again, attack with off hand (if 2 weapons equipped).

Special Attack Toggle - On/Ask/Off. Defaults to On so you usually use it on your first attack. Switch to Off so you can use it on whatever attack you want or Ask to interrupt attack as system asks if you want to use it on the attack and at what level. Works for ALL special attacks such as Sneak Attack, Maneuvers, Smites, etc.

Each character has their own toggles so you can handle each differently.

Get rid of Single Duel Toggle. You don't need it if all you have to do to attack with the off hand is just click on the enemy a second time. It takes literally a split second longer, but it gives the player full control over both attacks.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard