Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eilrie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello all, this is my first post in the forum, hope I don't do anything wrong and can express my own opinion about what I will suggest to do better the game.

I think that 5 origin characters are not enough, one more will do even number and can make 50/50 in gender representation if she is woman (Cisgender or Transgender). I really think one more female character will be the best option if the sixth character comes true at some point. I know that making new characters is really difficult with the great level of detail and background of the current ones.

Thanks all for reading, I hope this can help in any way. Cheers and take care.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I have relied on google translate.

Last edited by Eilrie; 29/03/22 06:58 PM. Reason: Add more information
veteran
veteran
Welcome Eilrie !

A lot of us hope they'll be more companions in the final game.
Some of us have also suggested "non origin" companions that should be easier to create without preventing them to have an interresting story.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Welcome and my condolences for joining us. smile
(Time will tell wich part was inapropriate laugh )

It should please you that concidering unconfrimmed datamined sources there should be at least 3 more companions in final game, of wich one is male and two females. wink
So our numbers should be balanced. wink

But even that (8) seems for some of us (myself included) not enough. laugh
Since i would personaly like to see Origin character for every class ... and non-origin companions aswell ... especialy one Druid. :3

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Eilrie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I didn't know that about datamining, if it's true I'd be glad if there were a total of 8 with gender balance. For me, 8 origin characters is fine, but I would appreciate a system to implement more companions even without origin, to have more variety of races and classes to make a team according to your preferences/strategies.

veteran
veteran
Well in THAT case, you should be pleased to hear that Larian confrimmed (long time ago) that this game will contain Mercenaries. smile
Wich (as far as i understand it) should be some kind of random NPCs that will fill role of your teammates, but will provide no sidequests, or stories ... not sure about conversations, or romances, but most likely also no.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Eilrie
I didn't know that about datamining, if it's true I'd be glad if there were a total of 8 with gender balance. For me, 8 origin characters is fine, but I would appreciate a system to implement more companions even without origin, to have more variety of races and classes to make a team according to your preferences/strategies.

I have suggested this before:

1 male and 1 Female voiced hireling that are completely customizable.

So more generic in dialogue in some ways, but that comment on general surroundings, events, and progress.

Eilrie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Making the mercenaries customizable with a simple voice system would be a great system to be able to make a team to your liking, see a team of four rogue dwarfs for example (?)

addict
addict
Exactly my thought! This post is a lot deeper than most people suspect... To gender balance this game we would need around 16 more companions! Just like Baldurs Gate 2. Comon Larian get with the times.
In my D&D game gender class with their respective <kits> for :

Agender (Fighter)
Androgyne (Fighter)
Butch (Barbarian)
Cisgender (Ranger)
Gender expansive (Ranger)
Genderfluid (Thief)
Gender outlaw (Thief)
Genderqueer (Monk)
Masculine of center (Cleric)
Nonbinary (Sorcerer))
Omnigender (Mage)
Polygender and pangender (Shapeshifter)
Transgender (Bard)
Trans (Bard)
Two Spirit (Druid)

Seriously though, if THIS is what needs to be done to get more companions for a fantasy game...man <modern> RPG gaming is in a sad state?!
I am seriously thinking of adding a WEIDU mod for Baldur's gate 2 to include those though lol.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 30/03/22 12:39 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eilrie
Making the mercenaries customizable with a simple voice system would be a great system to be able to make a team to your liking, see a team of four rogue dwarfs for example (?)
Well in THAT case (this is getting ridiculous) youl be glad to hear that Larian allready confrimmed for us that we WILL be able co create full custom party.

Personaly i plan 3 Githyanki + Lae'zel for one of my games. :3

Are mercenaries already in the game? Halsin and Glut can be recruited to temporarily boost the party, or are mercs going to be something different?

veteran
veteran
There should be more companions/origins in final release. Karlach seems like a sure bet due to datamining, and her content that is already in the game would support her being recruitable (tadpole, offering to join your party).

Originally Posted by Umbra
Are mercenaries already in the game?
If merceneries work the same as D:OS2 then it is essencially an ability to create more custom characters - as many Tavs as you want. At this moment you can do that by hosting multiplayer group by yourself, but there should be in-game option for that once the game is finished. In D:OS2 there was NPC that allow you to recruit (create) a mercenery after act1. In PoE1&2 you can recruit (and create) merceneries at any tavern.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
At this moment you can do that by hosting multiplayer group by yourself...
Ehm ... no you dont: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=812356#Post812356

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Exactly my thought! This post is a lot deeper than most people suspect... To gender balance this game we would need around 16 more companions! Just like Baldurs Gate 2. Comon Larian get with the times.
In my D&D game gender class with their respective <kits> for :

Agender (Fighter)
Androgyne (Fighter)
Butch (Barbarian)
Cisgender (Ranger)
Gender expansive (Ranger)
Genderfluid (Thief)
Gender outlaw (Thief)
Genderqueer (Monk)
Masculine of center (Cleric)
Nonbinary (Sorcerer))
Omnigender (Mage)
Polygender and pangender (Shapeshifter)
Transgender (Bard)
Trans (Bard)
Two Spirit (Druid)

Seriously though, if THIS is what needs to be done to get more companions for a fantasy game...man <modern> RPG gaming is in a sad state?!
I am seriously thinking of adding a WEIDU mod for Baldur's gate 2 to include those though lol.

WHAT!!! No swamp genders, moon genders or therianthropes/otherkins??? frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Umbra
Are mercenaries already in the game?
If merceneries work the same as D:OS2 then it is essencially an ability to create more custom characters - as many Tavs as you want. At this moment you can do that by hosting multiplayer group by yourself, but there should be in-game option for that once the game is finished. In D:OS2 there was NPC that allow you to recruit (create) a mercenery after act1. In PoE1&2 you can recruit (and create) merceneries at any tavern.
I would make a distinction between creating multiple custom characters at the start of the game (Tavs with tadpoles and main-plot relevance) with hireable mercenaries (who will presumably NOT have a tadpole, won't have any dialogue options other than "join/leave my party," and might not even be able to talk with other NPCs.) I'd only classify the latter as "mercenaries."

BG3 will allegedly have mercenaries upon Full Release, and possibly the ability to create a fully custom Tav party in single-player mode.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I would make a distinction between creating multiple custom characters at the start of the game (Tavs with tadpoles and main-plot relevance) with hireable mercenaries (who will presumably NOT have a tadpole, won't have any dialogue options other than "join/leave my party," and might not even be able to talk with other NPCs.) I'd only classify the latter as "mercenaries."
Hmmm, I never used mercenaries in D:OS2 - could anyone confirm how they function there?

I would think that being unable to use mercenaries in conversation would cut a decent amount of usefulness out of them - BG3 is designed around group play, afterall. Forbid them from entering conversations and you can’t use them to do anything other then fight, even if it’s stuff like breaking door’s to the Inn on fire.

veteran
veteran
I would think that being unable to use mercenaries in conversation would cut a decent amount of usefulness out of them - BG3 is designed around group play, afterall. Forbid them from entering conversations and you can’t use them to do anything other then fight, even if it’s stuff like breaking door’s to the Inn on fire.
But why would you ever use mercenaries for multiplayer in BG3, when you can instead create 4 Tavs at the beginning of the game or have other players just play as the Origins?

Mercenaries very much seem like something only useful for singleplayer, when you don't like the Origin companions and/or they get killed off, and you also didn't do the workaround at the beginning of the game to start with a custom party of 4.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Mercenaries very much seem like something only useful for singleplayer, when you don't like the Origin companions and/or they get killed off,
That’s what I meant - companions still are fully controllable and you can take advantage of their skills/stats in conversations by engaging with them rather then your Tav.

Link Copied to Clipboard