Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#812837 02/04/22 11:43 PM
OP Offline
After the visit with Raphael, you speak with Gale and ask what a Cambion is. Gale mentions about the parents having sex with an incubus or succubus. The two he mentions are actually demaons, not devils. Not too overly important, but with Gale being as intelligent as he is, he would know the difference. :P

enthusiast
enthusiast
In 5e, succubi and incubi are neither demons nor devils, they are Neutral Evil fiends with shapeshifting ability.

What Gale is wrong at, is that RAW Cambion is any humanoid creature that was half-fiend, so they should not be limited by incubus or succubus heritage. But that appears to be a Larian's homebrew, as both Mizora and Raphael seem to be shapeshifters.

veteran
veteran
To be fair, Larian show precious thin understanding of creature lore in the D&D setting. If they think that stabbing Astarion with wood while you're talking to him should have any kind of effect on him beyond ruining his jacket, then it becomes hard to have much faith that they'll understand any of the more involved nuances of fiendish divisions and ancestry.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
To be fair, Larian show precious thin understanding of creature lore in the D&D setting. If they think that stabbing Astarion with wood while you're talking to him should have any kind of effect on him beyond ruining his jacket, then it becomes hard to have much faith that they'll understand any of the more involved nuances of fiendish divisions and ancestry.

Lol. SO true, Niara. SO true.

I actually had to look up vampire spawn because I was like, "something's not right. BG2 made you enter the crypts where the vampires and spawn were, and you had to stake them in their coffins."

I'm not big on vampires, so I usually don't do a lot with them. I admittedly wasn't super familiar with the whole vampire spawn stats, etc. After reading up on them, I was like, "Can they not read? Do they read the lore and just disregard it? Seriously?"

"While incapacitated in its resting place.". That's when a stake kills them.

But then, Astarion isn't really a Vampire spawn in any major way, is he? He bleeds and dies like anyone else, so why shouldn't a stake through the heart kill him. It'd kill Gale or Lae'zel. Astarion isn't really different from them in game, is he?

OP Offline
I have to admit, I didn't know much about vampire spawn, so I just kinda took it at face value. :P For Succubus/Incubus, I was going off the Forgotten Realms wiki, since I remembered them being demons originally. But, LOL! As i read further, there seemed to be much confusion over what they were. :P

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Succubus

Last edited by Vortex138; 03/04/22 03:13 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard