Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Gratuitous bump because this topic is being overlooked and it would require minimal work to fix the issue.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Gratuitous bump because this topic is being overlooked and it would require minimal work to fix the issue.

+1

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
Tuco, you made a response to a post of mine a while back when I asked for better camp accommodations, suggesting that Larian has more important things to work on. For that reason alone, I'm going to tell you straight up that you're nitpicking, just like I was. DOS did not have such disgusting parabolas, so your point even has historical evidence that it will not remain so.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by UV01
Tuco, you made a response to a post of mine a while back when I asked for better camp accommodations, suggesting that Larian has more important things to work on.
No, I didn't.
Whatever I said (assuming you aren't mixing me with someone else, since I don't remember any of this) I'm fairly confident you are misquoting and misrepresenting it.

EDIT: Guess what? I went back and checked your post history. I'm assuming this is the thread you are talking about:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=97782&Number=774019#Post774019

And this was my reply:

My counter-argument would be "Don't give Larian even more reasons to keep this one-unique-camp-from-everywhere thing around".

I have no idea of HOW you did even begin to interpret it as "Larian has more important things to work on".

I also don't care about your petty "paybacks" so you can kindly spare me the declaration of intent next time.
If you don't have anything to say about this specific topic, feel free to ignore it.

DOS did not have such disgusting parabolas

It absolutely did.

Last edited by Tuco; 01/04/22 05:42 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Just jump to them and hit them with a mace.

..."I really don't understand what magic can do better than a mace"

Vilja from Skyrim

But seriously, It may be an isometric limitation. I am pretty sure, after watch the Imp "fly" that there are no true 3 dimensional calculations.

Honestly, I think they can get rid of the arch altogether. Just show the percentage and if the path is blocked, out of range, etc. Would be easy to just get rid of those graphics and still feel effective as an archer.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Vortex138
Honestly, I think they can get rid of the arch altogether.
Well, yes, that was precisely my request from the beginning. Projectiles should fly in a straight line (and FASTER), especially on the short distances allowed currently by the game.

BOTH because that's how projectiles work in reality AND because that's what the D&D ruleset suggests.

As an added bonus (and not a trivial one) there's also the fact that it would just look a lot more cool if playing as a marksman would have at least a vague feedback of "power" behind shots.

stranger
stranger
I was just about to open another thread and complain again about the ridiculous, inane art and animation of this game, which includes the toy bow arc and shoving physics. I'm simply baffled that this is still not even adressed. Whoever is responsible for this lacks vision for overall immersion and consistent art direction. The arc should be straight at short distance, or better, modify the arc based on the strength attribute of the character.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Quick reminder that this, too, is something that went completely unaddressed for another round of updates.

P.S. Also, we still don't have scabbards and quivers.

Last edited by Tuco; 08/07/22 08:12 PM.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Scabbards and quivers.

I will sign the petition.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Dont....see this so much as an issue tbh. Im assuming arrows show the little 'move up and then down' trajectory (dont know the word for it) because thats how the arrow would fly at long range. Even though at such a short range it wouldnt even get a chance to rise and then fall due to gravity but just fly straight in the target. Im guessing arrows and arrow-like attacks to just use that trajectory while aiming.

I dont see it as a problem high on the priority list though.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Using an arc for all projectile scenarios (ranges) presents silly issues in combat situations.

Possible issues:

- Hitting a target over a wall where the shooter can't possibly see.
- Being blocked by a structure above the target when, clearly, if the arrow goes straight it would hit.
- Hitting a target directly adjacent to the bottom of a cliff when the shooter is not near the edge to properly line up the shot.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Dont....see this so much as an issue tbh. Im assuming arrows show the little 'move up and then down' trajectory (dont know the word for it) because thats how the arrow would fly at long range. Even though at such a short range it wouldnt even get a chance to rise and then fall due to gravity but just fly straight in the target. Im guessing arrows and arrow-like attacks to just use that trajectory while aiming.

I dont see it as a problem high on the priority list though.
Admittedly I wouldn't be as annoyed by this reply if it wasn't that every single point you are trying to make has already been addressed more than once.

- You not seeing it as a problem is... well, your problem. Other do and want to talk about it. Me, for a start.

- Aside for the fact that arrows do NOT fly that way at long range, the real issue here is that at no point any "long range" has been involved in the examples discussed. If nothing else because the game does not even allow long range shots, with 25 meters being the absolute maximum distance.

- I'm not sure what point you are trying to make while talking about "gravity" and stuff. Let's narrow it down: if we are arguing realism and verisimilitude, the game falls short. If we are talking about matching the original rules, the game falls short, If we are talking about simply looking cool the game falls short.

- The fact that it's not "high priority" is frankly irrelevant. Both because we aren't allowed to address only the most urgent problem in the room and because it's also not a high maintenance issue to address, to begin with, so no one is asking Larian to stop the presses and halt any progress in all other areas to solve this. Just to acknowledge that it looks like shit right now and it would probably take an underpaid temp a couple of days to fix it at most. And that's accounting for testing fringe cases, because otherwise few minutes of coding would possibly do the trick.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
- The fact that it's not "high priority" is frankly irrelevant. Both because we aren't allowed to address only the most urgent problem in the room and because it's also not a high maintenance issue to address, to begin with, so no one is asking Larian to stop the presses and halt any progress in all other areas to solve this. Just to acknowledge that it looks like shit right now and it would probably take an underpaid temp a couple of days to fix it at most. And that's accounting for testing fringe cases, because otherwise few minutes of coding would possibly do the trick.

+1

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by heuron
Using an arc for all projectile scenarios (ranges) presents silly issues in combat situations.

Possible issues:

- Hitting a target over a wall where the shooter can't possibly see.
- Being blocked by a structure above the target when, clearly, if the arrow goes straight it would hit.
- Hitting a target directly adjacent to the bottom of a cliff when the shooter is not near the edge to properly line up the shot.
Yeah, there's this, too.
It's not JUST about how silly it looks, there are occasional gameplay implications.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
+1 to the thread. c: I agree that it looks a bit silly with the over-dramatic arc.

Originally Posted by Van'tal
Scabbards and quivers.

I will sign the petition.

+2 (although it is not quite related to the topic :] ).

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
J
stranger
stranger
J
We need scabbards and quivers!

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Locking old thread to avoid multiple concurrent discussions on the same topic. Please continue this discussion at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=850786 if required.

Please PM me if you think there is good reason to reopen this thread instead.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard