Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
addict
addict
P
The inverted cross being an anti-christian symbol was something created almost entirely by hollywood media in the 60s to 80s. Before that point it was the cross of St Peter and was one of the accepted latin crosses. I say almost entirely, because it was used as an anti-christian symbol by a couple of culty-types in the 1800s, but they were extremely fringe, pulling random claims and practices from a hodge-podge of questionable occult knowledge, and their leaders were probably quite insane. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

And also a major art festival used it as a symbol for St Peter in my city ages ago and made a lot of christians very shouty, which was funny, but got annoying after a while.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by GM4Him
666 and the pentagram and upside down cross
they glorify Satan and his demons.
This is interesting, even tho certainly not uncommon point of view ...

Do you know that there are historical documents prooving that certain groups of people were using pentagrams to actualy protect themself from demons? Rather than praise them?
And as the matter of fact, as far as i know, some still do. O_o

You are right that symbols are only symbols ... and have no power themselves ...
But it still makes me sad when i see people who seem to only remember perverted version of them ... :-/

How interesting. That I did not read about. I know the Swastika was actually perverted by the Nazis. It was originally a very holy, peace symbol. The name "Swastika", actually means something close to, "It is well with my soul," or "It is peaceful to me," or "Be at peace," and in many places it is considered a sign of welcome and blessing and well wishing.

I guess it shows that the two are similar in that both were meant for good but twisted to be considered evil.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Piff
The inverted cross being an anti-christian symbol was something created almost entirely by hollywood media in the 60s to 80s. Before that point it was the cross of St Peter and was one of the accepted latin crosses. I say almost entirely, because it was used as an anti-christian symbol by a couple of culty-types in the 1800s, but they were extremely fringe, pulling random claims and practices from a hodge-podge of questionable occult knowledge, and their leaders were probably quite insane. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

And also a major art festival used it as a symbol for St Peter in my city ages ago and made a lot of christians very shouty, which was funny, but got annoying after a while.

Yeah, this one I knew. It's unfortunate how things get twisted. I only mentioned it because many view it now as evil.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Street Hero
What is a man of faith doing here? Aren't you guys busy
[Linked Image from kpfa.org]

We're people too. We like entertainment and fun things. Main difference is, we love Christ and want to live our lives in a way that conforms with His ways because we recognize them as good. We want others to live that way also because we believe it is for everyone's best interest that they do. Some Christians, however, get carried away - just like some non-christians, I might add - about trying to force people into believing as they do.

Example of good Christian principle:. Put people first. Loving God is Commandment 1, and loving people is Commandment 2. So I respect people and strive to love them because I believe His way is the best way to live.

But loving people is exhausting. I like having games like BG3 to play and escape into a ridiculous world that I am very thankful isn't reality. If D&D was real, by all the heavens, we'd all be insane. I love you, but man I need a break too.

Last edited by GM4Him; 11/04/22 02:38 AM.
old hand
old hand
just like some non-christians, I might add

Ah, but their final refuge - when all other equivocations fall away - isn't superstition.

veteran
veteran
No but it's often just as irrational, regardless of faith or lack there-of.

That said, let's not let the discussion stray too far into religious debating, please.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Niara

That said, let's not let the discussion stray too far into religious debating, please.

Can't get more irrational than invisible cosmic patriarch that hates you for masturbating.

veteran
veteran
The name "Swastika", actually means something close to, "It is well with my soul," or "It is peaceful to me," or "Be at peace," and in many places it is considered a sign of welcome and blessing and well wishing.
I didnt even know this! Interesting indeed. smile
I only heared that there are Swastikas often usen on old statues and paintings on most important persons ... therefore it was presumed to be symbol of important people who were abowe the others ...

For example there is some old Indian (i believe?) painting of Gilgamesh (i believe?) where he is aproximately 1/3 taller tan anyone else, have blue skin, and Swastika on his chest.

And since Hitler wanted his people to concider themselves superhumans ... he used this symbol for them. :-/
Sad story for the symbol. frown

I guess it shows that the two are similar in that both were meant for good but twisted to be considered evil.
Indeed ...
And just for the record, in case it wasnt obvious ... you were right there is many people using all those and many more symbols wrong ... i pitty them for they are often missguided. frown
But i guess its easier to go with the flow, than do proper research. :-/

But it allways pleases my heart when i see exception. ^_^

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
You guys are talking about the manji.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Niara

Can't get more irrational than invisible cosmic patriarch that hates you for masturbating.

I'm sorry you've been hurt so badly by individuals who gave you the wrong idea of who God is. He is not an "invisible cosmic patriarch that hates you for masturbating." Some misguided, uneducated individual taught you that. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that... ever. I am also someone who has been abused by such mentality. That is an extreme, Pharisee mentality. Jesus Himself spoke out against such ways of thinking.

Do you know why God "hated" and destroyed people in the Old Testament? Here's the list:

1. Child Sacrifices - People were burning their children alive on altars. God detested that. It was one of the biggest things that He could not tolerate. He actually tolerated a LOT of other sick practices, but this one was one He would not. So He sent the Israelites in to wipe out the people who did this.
2. Rape - Happened a LOT in the Old Testament times.
3. Murder - Not just stab with a knife either. I'm talking super violent murders where people were cut to pieces, tortured to death, etc. This was right up there with Child Sacrifices.
4. Abuse of SO many kinds - You think domestic abuse is something people suffer today? Read what people did to one another back in the BCEs in the Middle East. It's sick stuff.

And yet, here is what God told the prophet Ezekiel, "For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!" Meaning "Just stop doing bad things and I'll forgive you. Stop killing your kids and raping and murdering and abusing one another, and I won't have to destroy you."

And in case someone told you that there is a difference between Old and New Testament, God says in the New through Peter, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." He is referring to the End Times and the total destruction of the world so that it can be remade into a paradise again. He is slow to destroy the world because He is patient, not wanting to destroy anyone. He wants to give everyone as much opportunity as they can to change their ways. He is ONLY going to destroy the world when humanity becomes SO bad that they are worse than the people who lived back during those days who did the above 4 things - and worse.

Now, I've only gone on this much because I wanted to clear up that misunderstanding in this thread. I know it's a no-no to discuss religion on this forum. So, if you want to continue, let's PM. I'm certainly willing to keep discussing if you want. I just don't want people getting upset that we're talking religion.

PS. I have a degree in Pastoral Ministry and have been studying scripture my whole life. I'm only saying this so you don't think I'm an uneducated person just sprouting off things I don't understand or know anything about. I'm not making the above up. When you actually study the Bible, you see that He isn't some "invisible cosmic patriarch that hates you." Quite the opposite.

old hand
old hand
A discussion of what is in the Bible is interesting but also a dangerous affair for (fundamental) Christians or Jews or Muslims because there are lots of opinions (sometimes contradictionary) and lots of opinions not possible to have as a modern person, which came from the many different people who wrote the holy books from 700 BC to 200 AD and who of course were based in their time and in their (absence of) knowledge.

What I find irritating in the OP's post is that he seems to imply that Larian is not using a "Devils symbol" (if it is one) to hint to the hells and devils in the game but tends to see it as a kind of meta-hint to the devil imagined (in earlier times) by some big real world religions. How strange.

And another question for me, if a person is a fundamental believer in Christ and the Bible and has problems with unchristian stuff per se and considering the game, so mixing the game and reality, how can he/she play a game where the existence of a lot of gods without a defined superior god who is the only real one is given as fact?

Last edited by geala; 11/04/22 11:28 AM.
veteran
veteran
People, this is not the place to discuss religion ( or politics). Go and discuss in the general forum, If you must.
I don't know, why the mods don't say anything.
The question of the op (which I find kind of far fetched) has been answered already.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
Religion has too much in the way of patches, DLC, remakes and fanfiction.

Also, Christianity in particular features baby murder.

veteran
veteran
Closing this thread now, as political and religious discussions online in non-religion dedicated forums never do anything useful or ends well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard