Page 1 of 2 1 2
#813619 15/04/22 12:22 PM
N
Nyelin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Today I've tried to start a playthrough the third time since patch 6, and I've stopped after about an hour again. For the third time. This may sound crazy, but I find the dirty faces so off-putting that I simply cannot play the game. I probably wouldn't mind some dirt, but I come fresh out of camp, walk a couple of paces, and already look like I've wallowed in dust the whole day. And I would really like to know how a mage, who is standing about 30 feet away from the targets gets blood on his face - talk about splatter.
Please put in some sort of dirt control into the game. At the moment I seriously regret buying the early access, because without that control I doubt I'll ever playthe game again.

Nyelin #813620 15/04/22 12:30 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyelin
I would really like to know how a mage, who is standing about 30 feet away from the targets gets blood on his face - talk about splatter.

Maybe level 3 spells let you kill without misting you with the victim’s entrails.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
Nyelin #813621 15/04/22 12:41 PM
veteran
veteran
Lol. It's like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Must be a noble."

"How do you know?"

"'s 'cause 'e ain't got $#@$ all over 'im."

These ain't nobles. They's adventurers. They ain't right without filth and gore on 'em.

I'm only partially joking. I mean, yeah. They could tame it down a bit. They do seem to ALWAYS be filthy.

Nyelin #813622 15/04/22 12:50 PM
veteran
veteran
+1 to having an option to toggle off dirt and blood on characters.

Last edited by Icelyn; 15/04/22 12:59 PM.
Nyelin #813623 15/04/22 12:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I too dislike the dirt mechanic. I have one of the dirtiest jobs imaginable and am outside in the middle of nowhere camping for weeks at a stretch. My hands and face are always clean. It is called water and a kerchief. Any self respecting adventurer has both.

Will mod this stupid thing out asap.

timebean #813624 15/04/22 03:44 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by timebean
I too dislike the dirt mechanic. I have one of the dirtiest jobs imaginable and am outside in the middle of nowhere camping for weeks at a stretch. My hands and face are always clean. It is called water and a kerchief. Any self respecting adventurer has both.

Will mod this stupid thing out asap.

Hold up. Wouldn't it be even better to have characters clean themselves after a fight? It could be one of those idle animations that add flavour and realism to the game. The extent and manner in which characters like to clean themselves after a fight could also be made into a show of their personalities. Some might leave the dirt where it is, because it provides camouflage and protection from insects bites. Some might want to lick the blood of themselves and their weapons. Others could take great care in removing all spots from their robes ... Things like that could really bring characters to life.

Nyelin #813626 15/04/22 04:32 PM
veteran
veteran
Dirt on armor&clothing more than on faces please.

Maybe a short rest (or idle animations as suggested above) removes dirt on faces and hands.
But only a long rest removes dirt from clothing & armor.

Nyelin #813627 15/04/22 05:52 PM
old hand
old hand
I love the dirt mechanic but it's just waaaay too intense, way too fast.

Nyelin #813629 15/04/22 06:36 PM
veteran
veteran
Unlimit Short Rests so that you don't just get 2.

Dirt and blood is cleaned off after Short Rest. So, if you don't like it, Short Rest and remove it right away.

Limit Short Rests via Hit Dice - you know, like D&D 5e rules state. Hit Dice are not that difficult to understand. 1 Per Character Level. When you Short Rest, you can use as many as you like.

But, it's a video game, and Short Rests can replenish Warlock spell slots and other special abilities. So, to balance, make it so that you can Short Rest even if you've used up all your Hit Dice (for things like cleaning off dirt, etc.), but if you've used up your Hit Dice you don't get the benefits of Healing and Spell Slot/ Special Ability resets (like Action Surge and Second Wind and Warlock spells).

So, if you're a level 3 Warlock, you get 3 Hit Dice. If you don't use Hit Dice during a Short Rest, you don't get your Spell Slots back. You have to at least use 1 Hit Dice to get spell slots back. So, you could get 3 Short Rests at Level 3 and thus reset your spell slots 3 times per day. Other characters might use a Hit Die and get their Special Abilities and Spell Slots back, but if you don't use a Hit Die, you don't.

Several birds... one stone.

mrfuji3 #813631 15/04/22 07:30 PM
veteran
veteran
You cannot short rest in DnD if you're out of hit dices ?

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Dirt on armor&clothing more than on faces please.

Maybe a short rest (or idle animations as suggested above) removes dirt on faces and hands.
But only a long rest removes dirt from clothing & armor.

This would be good.
As Andreas said, it's way too intense now... I love the feature too but it may be a bit ridiculous sometimes. A few improvement would make it perfect.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Nyelin #813636 15/04/22 08:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Personaly i would be quite fine with option to wash my character face by water surfaces ... or by using create water spell.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/04/22 09:00 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
RagnarokCzD #813637 15/04/22 09:32 PM
veteran
veteran
It's how it works now, no? That's how it supposedly works anyway.

Last edited by Sozz; 15/04/22 09:33 PM.
Maximuuus #813640 15/04/22 10:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
You cannot short rest in DnD if you're out of hit dices ?.

No. You can short rest as much as your DM will allow. Some people had a problem with the game possibly having too many short rests, so I came up with this Homebrew idea of maybe still limiting short rests based on hit dice.

Ultimately, I think that they should unlimit short rest but somehow limit long rest - or at least limit short rest less. I could see a limit on short rest being something like eight short rest a day or four at least. Two short rest is just too few.

Especially if you were going to use short rest to clean off your characters or for other purposes like dialogue, which I hope they allowed dialogues to be triggered during short rest, they should at least up the limit on short rest. That is my point.

I just thought hit dice would be a better way to limit short rest than only allowing two short rests period.

Nyelin #813651 16/04/22 04:01 AM
old hand
old hand
Too many rules spoil the soup.

Sozz #813654 16/04/22 08:15 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
It's how it works now, no? That's how it supposedly works anyway.
Dunno ... someone said around here that Create Water indeed wash off the dirt, but i never used my spellslots like that. :-/
And as far as i know, there is no way to interact with any water surface in game, to clean yourself. :-/ Maybe all you need to do is step on some water? laugh Will have to check next time.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/04/22 08:16 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Ragitsu #813657 16/04/22 11:20 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu

Not enough ingredients makes a soup bland

GM4Him #813660 16/04/22 11:39 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him

There's a time and place for variety; rules on resting that eerily ape MMORPG mechanics are - at best - excessive.

Ragitsu #813661 16/04/22 12:05 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him

There's a time and place for variety; rules on resting that eerily ape MMORPG mechanics are - at best - excessive.

How do you mean? I'm suggesting something more like 5e Short Rest mechanics.

I thought it was pretty simple. Someone suggested make Short Rest clean dirt off. That only works if Short Rest is not just 2 and you're done. I don't like 2 Short Rest Limit anyway. I'd rather have unlimited Short Rest where you can do it as much as you want.

But that does kinda break the system unless you put some sort of limits on the spell slot, healing and special ability resets. So, why not implement something close to 5e. Use Hit Dice to limit the benefits of Short Rest. You, the player, decides how many Hit Dice to use per character and if you use none, that character doesn't get spell slot or special abilities reset. Only those who use at least 1 Hit Dice get the benefits. Kinda like they were keeping watch and not really resting while those who spend Hit Dice are.

Last edited by GM4Him; 16/04/22 01:28 PM.
Nyelin #813669 16/04/22 03:43 PM
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Looking at a material change to rest mechanics to address a purely aesthetic issue...raises questions of priorities. I don't mind the 'short rest' system as it is - it's simple, effective, and well-designed in respect of its impact on other character abilities. Requiring selection and rationing of Hit Dice, I think, is a solution in search of a problem. Particularly given how few circumstances there are where you *can't* LR, and there aren't a lot of limits on the number of LRs you can take (no encounter potential; few if any game clocks requiring tasks to be done in a certain number of days; few circumstances where you can't just set up camp; and an abundance of camp supplies), creating a more robust short rest system seems pretty unnecessary to me. (Worth noting: While 5e mechanics don't strictly limit the number of short rests, the 2-per-day paradigm is suggested in the DMG as a normal number of rests.)

More generally, I've been trying to understand the dirt and fatigue mechanics - I'm inferring they're related. I'll periodically get characters complaining that they're tired and need to rest, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on anything, and doesn't seem particularly consistent in terms of what they've been up to?

What causes dirt and fatigue - is it just the passage of real time? And do they actually DO anything?

Nyelin #813678 16/04/22 05:23 PM
A
addict
addict
A
i like my character look clean. blood or dirt can stay on during combat.. but after that i like them look clean. should use a toogle option for those who want it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard