Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate/

BG3 characters so far getting cards are Gale, Lae'zel, Raphael, and there is an Instant called Wyll's reversal.

Mechanics revealed so far are Initiative, Undercity (dungeon) , Adventure, Myriad, Dice Rolling, and hinted by Lae'zel's card Experience Counters and\or Energy, Backgrounds.

Also characters from BG1&2 are in the set, one from Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus and weirdly one from Ravenloft, Strahds nursemaid, one is new character, and one is the God Bhaal.

I love Raphael, Fiendish Savior, the best so far. Demons, Tiefling, Devils, and Imps get 1\1 and life link, he has flying, and each turn when a creature card enters the graveyard you get a 1\1 Devil with when it dies deal 1 damage to any target. He has the obviously batched Lord synergies, but also good in sacrifice and mill decks.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So based on this
not only the long lived companions already speculated about could make a cameo, but also others who were less expected like Imoen, Mazzy, Dinheirin (minsc's witch) and even more weird, they don't look like they aged on the artwork but rather as if they're based on their BG2 appearance. Moreover, wasn't sarevok and the fir-something- red dragon supossed to be dead ?
Anyways, cool, at least someone is giving us a few crumbles of information to speculate about BG3 (yes, Larian, looking at you, do something).

Last edited by SerraSerra; 17/04/22 12:04 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
So based on this
not only the long lived companions already speculated about could make a cameo, but also others who were less expected like Imoen, Mazzy, Dinheirin (minsc's witch) and even more weird, they don't look like they aged on the artwork but rather as if they're based on their BG2 appearance. Moreover, wasn't sarevok and the fir-something- red dragon supossed to be dead ?
Anyways, cool, at least someone is giving us a few crumbles of information to speculate about BG3 (yes, Larian, looking at you, do something).

LMFAO. I remember Dineheirin being dead by BG2, maybe BG3 goes crazy with True Resurrection spells?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Being present in a masters set or equivalent does not mean the character is still alive in the current timeline. Example: Urza was printed in Modern Horizons 1, a masters set a couple years ago. Urza was last seen alive like 20+ years ago. Apocalypse, june 2001 at least, maybe a set or two afterwards.

They most likely included Dynaheir and Firkraag and company by similar logic. They are there for fanservice and name recognition.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Amaunator43
Being present in a masters set or equivalent does not mean the character is still alive in the current timeline. Example: Urza was printed in Modern Horizons 1, a masters set a couple years ago. Urza was last seen alive like 20+ years ago. Apocalypse, june 2001 at least, maybe a set or two afterwards.

They most likely included Dynaheir and Firkraag and company by similar logic. They are there for fanservice and name recognition.

This isn't a Masters set, but it's true of the OG Commander Legends set too.

PS

Lae'zel is going in straight into my Serra and Master of the Flowers (Planeswalker) brawl decks.

A
addict
addict
A
sorry color me confused. is MTG and forgotten realms the same thing? why are they appeared as MTG cards?

P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
Originally Posted by Archaven
sorry color me confused. is MTG and forgotten realms the same thing? why are they appeared as MTG cards?

MTG and WotC are both owned by Hasbro, and have crossed over several times. There is an entire crossover series of digital publications called Planeshift, where they detail MTG worlds for 5e mechanics. And this is not the first time we've had Realms characters and monsters as cards.

L
addict
addict
L
Separate IPs. There is crossover in the medium used though. For example, MTG is planning Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40k cards in the future-it doesn't mean that space marines and Gandalf could team up with Jace the Mind Sculptor. Similarly, Pathfnder publishing adventures in the 5e ruleset doesn't mean that Pathfinder is in the same 'universe' as Darksun.

A
addict
addict
A
i see. much thanks. that will be quite interesting. wish to see if there's rpg to be made on MTG worlds.

L
addict
addict
L
I wish! I would have killed to have a crpg based in the early mtg timeline when I was a kid! Original Phyrexian invasion and all that would have been really fun to see IMO. At least WoTC is throwing tabletop rpg fans a bone with the books to game some of the more recent settings using the 5e system.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
i see. much thanks. that will be quite interesting. wish to see if there's rpg to be made on MTG worlds.

Well there are table top rpg campaign settings books MtG for Ravnica, Theros, and sort of Arcvios.

P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
The Theros book is actually one of my most favourite books! I really want to play a game in that world someday. The Ravnica book is less to my taste, but still really well done.

But here is a link to all the planeshift publications for people.
https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Plane_Shift

Last edited by Piff; 20/04/22 12:56 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
We've seen Lae'zel who appears to be a well made as is Gale, but not Shadowheart, Astoria, or Wyll.

Given its 5 BG3 Companions so far, I think one tied to each colour of the MtG colour pie makes sense. Lae'zel has white, Gale blue, and while Wyll's creature card hasn't been spoiled yet, he has an instant spell named after him Wyll's Reversal which which basically allows him to redirected a targeted instant or sorcery to new targets, and if he gets a luck die roll he can copy the spell his redirecting and choose new targets again, this suggests his card is going to be red (and interact with dice rolling). Alternately maybe he will have Legendary Mizora creature token when he enters the battlefield, the way Minsc has Boo, or maybe both Dice Rolling and a D20.

That leaves just black and green, I'm leaning towards black for Astarion and green for Shadowheart, but that doesn't fit right, although I did not expect Lae'zel to be mono white either.

veteran
veteran
Yay for Halsin getting a card!

old hand
old hand
pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Piff

MTG and WotC are both owned by Hasbro, and have crossed over several times.

The connection is even deeper than that! Wizards of the Coast bought TSR, the company that created DnD, in 1997 and have published DnD ever since. Magic the Gathering and DnD have shared plenty of staff over the years.

The first ever crossover was a single card called Sword of Dungeons & Dragons published in a joke set in 2017. There have been other IP crossovers since, but none with deeper ties to Magic than DnD.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Asterion card (Asterion, the Decadent) that is a Legebdary 4/4 Vampire Elf Rogue with Death Touch and Life Link, and at his end step you can choose between two options.

1. Food: Openent loses life equal to the life they lost this turn.

2. Friend: You can life equal to the total life you gained this turn.

It's different from Gale and Lae'zel surprisingly as I was expecting the card to be mono colored with Choose a Background, but instead it's black & white instead.

This leaves just Wyll and Shadowheart, who I had assumed would be mono colored with Background, buy now I'm not certain at all what they will look like.

Anyone want to guess what they will be like?

A
addict
addict
A
i really like to see some cRPG games set in MTG settings or dragonlance. i'm not so much of a spelljammer or space person. dnd may not really be the answer but i've grown to love for turn-based. so it will be great to see more genre or franchises but i really like it as an cRPG. if they are going for a real-time action RPG.. i really don't want anything to do with MMOs. love big cRPGs that are single player ala skyrim? witcher? etc. definitely not MMOs.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
So based on this

LMFAO. I remember Dineheirin being dead by BG2, maybe BG3 goes crazy with True Resurrection spells?

It doesn't matter who is dead/old for non-standard Magic sets. This set won't be carrying any particular narrative, and may include anything connected to Baldur's Gate from any time period.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BROttorney
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
So based on this

It doesn't matter who is dead/old for non-standard Magic sets. This set won't be carrying any particular narrative, and may include anything connected to Baldur's Gate from any time period.

Right, I thought it would stick close to the latest cannon or something, didn't know it was more of a 'world of BG approach', was always only vaguely aware of the story behind MTG editions besides the general themes and factions.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard