Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ragitsu Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Have any of you looked into this game? It's a shame we never received this title; although the originally planned BG3 didn't feature much in the way of Baldur's Gate itself, it would have given us an in-depth experience in the Dalelands (a region that has barely been explored in the FR CRPGs).

veteran
veteran
Yes I have discussed it on other forums a lot. I think it came up in this forum too a long while back, but no one seemed to be interested in a discussion.

I continue to be extremely sad and disappointed this game was canceled. I have zero doubts it would've been a fantastic game. There is an interview or video out there somewhere in which J.E. Sawyer discusses the vision and plans he had for the game, but he also emphasizes there is zero interest within Obsidian or himself to resurrect it.

The main takeaway point for me is exactly the idea of the game being set in the Dalelands. I would soooooo love an FR game that is NOT set in the Sword Coast or Icewind Dale or Neverwinter areas. There are so many awesome areas in the FR setting; why do we keep having to play in the same damn areas again and again?

veteran
veteran
Yes, it was a Black Isle/Josh Sawyer D&D game. I am sure it would be my jam. It was to use Aurora Engine, though, which I am not fond of.

It wasn't a Baldur's Gate either - it wasn't intended or made as such

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1234228179906134016

Last edited by Wormerine; 19/04/22 02:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
this and the lost source code for IWD 2 (no source code, no EE ) are probably my biggest gaming related wishes. Sad, but life goes on...

Ragitsu Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The only aspect of The Black Hound that made me balk was the planned Level cap; be it Level 5 or Level 8, both ceilings seem way too low for a full-length D&D CRPG (especially after getting a taste of Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights). Furthermore, the fact that 3e characters level up quickly compared to their 2e counterparts would likely have necessitated less overall combat.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
The main takeaway point for me is exactly the idea of the game being set in the Dalelands. I would soooooo love an FR game that is NOT set in the Sword Coast or Icewind Dale or Neverwinter areas. There are so many awesome areas in the FR setting; why do we keep having to play in the same damn areas again and again?

As a matter of fact, that is precisely why it came to mind: while working on an old-school D&D campaign that begins in the High Dale, my research revealed a lack of adventures set exclusively within any of the Dales.

Originally Posted by SerraSerra
this and the lost source code for IWD 2 (no source code, no EE ) are probably my biggest gaming related wishes. Sad, but life goes on...

It is supposedly eighty-percent completed, yes? I'm sure there are fans both creative enough and tech-savvy enough to complete the story.

veteran
veteran
This and Van Buren are particularly notorious. SW:KotOR III too but I don't think it it ever had much put into it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
It is supposedly eighty-percent completed, yes? I'm sure there are fans both creative enough and tech-savvy enough to complete the story.

What is 80% completed ? The Black Hound ? That would make it even worse, why don't they simply release it then? Seriously missing those black isle game days.

Regarding the IWD2 source code, I've read several times that it would be simply impossible to reverse engineer the source code and make the necessary changes for an updated EE within a reasonable time, i.e. it's theoretically possible but would require ridiculous efforts. I think there's a mod around doing EE-like stuff but personally I would prefer a new clean instal that went trough a publisher's QA/testing rather than having to mod an old game in compatibility mode. Also, I want EE because Beamdog releases them on android, and playing infinity engine games on a tablet with touch controls, imo is the best way of playing them and really makes them better. (inbf the person on this forum who needed 14 key board shortcuts for their pre combat buffing wink )

veteran
veteran
+1

veteran
veteran
IWD2 is playable though, right? I remember not being able to play it for years and then one day GOG version worked just fine. It's been couple years, so I don't know if windows 10/11 broke something once again.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
IWD2 is playable, but a lot of people are unfortunately experiencing various issues with it - in particular there's a weird flickering issue with the fog of war (whenever there's screen movement) that basically makes it unplayable.

Good news is, there IS a community-made EE that is in development but playable (in fact, they were looking for testers, not sure if they still are at this point). Some of you here might be interested to learn more about it here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...mera-group-is-looking-for-playtesters/p1

Last edited by Topgoon; 19/04/22 11:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes I have discussed it on other forums a lot. I think it came up in this forum too a long while back, but no one seemed to be interested in a discussion.
That’s probably because there isn’t really much to say about it.
It’s more a curiosity than anything else.

We could speculate a bit on what it COULD have been, but in the end it never went past a conceptual stage.
At least Van Buren got a playable vertical slice at some point.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Ragitsu Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

What is 80% completed ? The Black Hound ? That would make it even worse, why don't they simply release it then? Seriously missing those black isle game days.

Apparently so, yeah.

https://www.unseen64.net/2020/01/19/baldursgate3-black-hound-cancelled/

While there were plans for a full trilogy of games, The Black Hound was cancelled in 2003, reportedly about 80% complete, when Interplay lost the rights to the Baldur’s Gate brand as well and could not release a D&D RPG anymore.

Who knows where the data is sitting?

--- --- ---

Originally Posted by Tuco
That’s probably because there isn’t really much to say about it.
It’s more a curiosity than anything else.

We could speculate a bit on what it COULD have been, but in the end it never went past a conceptual stage.
At least Van Buren got a playable vertical slice at some point.

Eighty-percent completion is considerably greater than the "conceptual stage". This is - arguably - a curiosity in desperate need of liberation smile.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, it's also the very first time I'm hearing this claim about a "80% completion".
I don't remember Sawyer (or anyone else involved) ever making a similar claim, frankly.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Ragitsu Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Yeah, it's also the very first time I'm hearing this claim about a "80% completion".
I don't remember Sawyer (or anyone else involved) ever making a similar claim, frankly.

You believe the claim to be a lie?

veteran
veteran
You believe the claim to be a lie?
Citation is needed.

Also what 80% complete is supposed to mean? 80% till release (meaning just polishing left to do)? 80% content complete? Cause if it was 80% content complete then there would still be a heck lots of work to do.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
meaning just polishing left to do
Even that can be tricky ...

HardsuitLabs claimed in end of 2019 (or was it 18?) that all they need to do is "some polishing" ... so they need to "delay a little bit" ...
Now, three years later ... everyone working on it was fired, we dont even know what studio (if any) works on it, and release is very unknown at best.

The point is ... nothing is "80% done" even if it seems to be. laugh
Especialy in game industry where last "5%" can take as much time and resources as all previous "95% combined". laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Ragitsu Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The man on retainer has arrived.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard