Next Thread
Print Thread
#813628 15/04/22 06:13 PM
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I recently started playing, and I've kept track of a few issues on two playthroughs (one incomplete, one complete). Mostly minor stuff, not much that's game-breaking, but issues to be aware of in subsequent development.

(1) On the Nautiloid, while walking on the exterior just before Lae'zel appears, the camera flips to Commander Zhalk fighting the fiend for no apparent reason. This happened on both playthroughs, though on the first one I loaded back (because I thought I'd missed something and was supposed to be in combat somehow, which I hadn't yet experienced) and it didn't happen. So it's not completely consistent, but it wasn't a one-off, either.

(2) I frequently find that a room stays completely black until a character is *inside*, even if I'm standing outside an open door. This is generally annoying from a perspective of 'walking through' the door (also true of the illusory talking wall in the hag's lair), but it's a bigger problem for combat (say, fighting the bugbear and ogre who you 'interrupt' in the barn), or trying to rescue a person in a burning building.

(3) The camera perspectives are sometimes problematic. I'm assuming that there's a reason why it's *always* at a downward angle (i.e. don't have to develop ceiling/roof/sky graphics and textures), but I've had a bunch of problems trying to fight elevated opponents. Sometimes it's just a bit of a hassle to actually get an angle for target selection (for instance, fighting a red cap on a distant hill), or other times it actually interferes with combat. One major case was when I had characters on the bottom of the spider pit in the abandoned temple fighting goblins shooting down from various different higher levels. Another one was fighting in the toll house, and the trader took up a position on the roof (not the interior second floor). With some wrangling, I can get the display to show me the target itself, but never the terrain the target is standing on - which I need to be able to get a sense of line-of-sight angles, and (ideally) to be able to Misty Step up to the target. At minimum, we should at least get some manual control over the vertical of the camera's focal point, to be able to look at higher stories than the one the party is on.

(4) The interaction between Witch Bolt and Invisibility seems wrong - where the target of an active Witch Bolt becomes Invisible. There's some discussion on 5e forums on how they're *supposed* to interact. The general theory is that, based on the PHB, invisibility shouldn't break the arc and the caster should still be able to use it. (The alternative would be that you lose the arc altogether.) Instead - for example, when
Auntie Ethel creates a bunch of illusions and makes herself invisible
- the arc continues (to the invisible target's location) but the target is unselectable to the caster. So I know where she is but I also can't use the witch bolt (and lose it after one turn unless somebody else can break the invisibility before the caster's turn). One of two things should happen here: Either (a) the caster should still be able to trigger the Witch Bolt on the invisible target or (b) invisibility should escape the Witch Bolt altogether and terminate the spell immediately (so that you can't see it at all).

(5) It's a bit annoying that characters will often reach the end of a ladder...then immediately turn around and go back the way they came. This applies even to the controlled character.

(6) It would be preferable for the AI to *not* regard lava as terrain to be walked upon. In Grymforge, if I jumped over the lava with one character, another character would jump INTO the lava. (Happened twice, then I toggled Group Mode off.) Fighting the
forge guardian
, if I try to make a melee attack, I have to be super careful that it doesn't involve the attacker advancing into the lava...because otherwise, they will. Given that it's effectively insta-death, that's not ideal.

And a couple more serious issues:

(A) I know I'm not the first to discover the
Zhentarim Hideout
bug where they all become aggressive when you try to go talk to the leader (despite being invited in), but it's a super annoying bug.

(B) I had a couple of times where the interface seemed to lock up, usually requiring me to load an earlier saved game, and on one occasion even causing a hard crash. It's not something I can duplicate easily and I'm not sure they're all related, but they seem more common when the party is split. Here are a couple of the highlights:
  • I had split the party while a character stealthed forward to challenge some turrets, and I went turn-based. At some point I became unable to exit turn-based mode - attempting to exit would result in a prompt to end the turn, but nothing I did could exit the mode. Saving and loading didn't fix it; I had to return to save prior to the glitch occurring.
  • I had split the party, and two party members ended up in combat. After an enemy took its action and bonus action...nothing else happened. The turn didn't advance off the enemy, and I could move the camera but couldn't give prompts to any characters - even the ones outside the combat. I quit the game, and ended up having to force-close the program.
  • There have been a couple of instances where I selected an action, and could neither perform nor de-select it. For example, trying to jump across a gap (party wasn't split, and it wasn't turn-based), I selected jump...but then couldn't actually cause the character to jump, and couldn't do anything else either. I could seemingly switch between characters, but couldn't get them to do anything at all. Had to load.

A
stranger
stranger
A
...we should at least get some manual control over the vertical of the camera's focal point, to be able to look at higher stories than the one the party is on.

+1 this happens all the time, and allowing the user to control the verticality would help a lot.

(5) It's a bit annoying that characters will often reach the end of a ladder...then immediately turn around and go back the way they came. This applies even to the controlled character.

Agreed, the pathing should indicate if the user is going up a ladder, it makes sense for the companions to try to stay up a ladder, when there is not enough space the companions should say something and stay at the bottom of the stairs.

Link Copied to Clipboard