Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#814614 06/05/22 01:06 PM
D
dbarron Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Does anyone know what we can expect since we KNOW we won't see a full release this year?
Will we get at least new classes and possible expansion of area to test? Otherwise, the game is dead (imo).

Last edited by dbarron; 06/05/22 01:07 PM.
dbarron #814616 06/05/22 01:47 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian will probably continue to drabble out bits of new content every few months. The remaining paladin/bard/monk classes are possibilities. It's hard to say how many new areas they will put in the EA without encroaching on Act II. Perhaps new companions? Hard to say about that.

Speaking of new content. It's been almost three months now since that barbarian was patched in. Ought there be another update coming up in May or June?

dbarron #814617 06/05/22 02:10 PM
veteran
veteran
lol, we have no idea. Larian doesn't tell us their roadmap.

Larian will post something ~2 weeks before a Patch, probably advertising their next Panel from Hell. That patch might contain a new class OR a area, but almost certainly not both, and possibly neither.

Going by their past schedule (roughly a Patch every 4 months), I'd guess we'll see 2 more patches this year, with 1 of them adding a new class.

dbarron #814618 06/05/22 02:25 PM
A
addict
addict
A
was really start having fun around level 5 in solasta. think larian shouldn't give it away till the release. i would rather them work on the core mechanics of the game like.. reaction though.

dbarron #814620 06/05/22 02:47 PM
addict
addict
I suggest a better way to describe BG III rather than the term "dead" might be "unborn".

Larian is going through a very long gestation time. Eventually there will have to be a big push to get BGIII out, and I expect then there will be either lots of screaming, or lots of drugs.

Argyle #814622 06/05/22 06:15 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argyle
I expect then there will be either lots of screaming, or lots of drugs.

Lol-ed, why not both though ?

dbarron #814623 06/05/22 07:04 PM
D
dbarron Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
I'm quite frustrated with the slow pace (as many are). I certainly appreciate the evolution of the core game over the EA period, but darn..I want something new to play and RPGs are pretty few and far between these days. (yes, poor me).

dbarron #814624 06/05/22 08:15 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dbarron
I'm quite frustrated with the slow pace (as many are).

I am not. Let them take their time. next year or the year after that. I don't care... there are so many games to play besides this.
Cyberpunk was rushed and I still haven't bought it. I will wait for game of the year edition so I can play it the best it can be. Learn to be patient.

dbarron #814627 06/05/22 09:28 PM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I would say that area is possible ... even tho not exactly probable ... since every bit of map is revealing another parts of the story, and it would be a shame to spoil too much before release. :-/

And new class should be certain, i mean we still have little over half year over us ... during that time they should manage to finish at least one more. laugh

I would not expect another companion, since there isnt much to test on them, unless they would want to make them character lifting as they did with Shadowheart ...

There are several "on going" mechanics and stuff we have ben told that they keep working on, so some progress would be certainly fine ...
You know stuff like: Reactions, UI, reactions, casting, reactions, fog of war, reactions, ... did i mentioned reactions?

---

I would agree with people saying that Larian should take their time and certainly not rush anything ...
On the other hand, im not quite sure if their taken time would be well spend lately ... but i gues that is beyond our reach. :-/

I mean, in the past i was worried that last released class will not get as much testing as any other ... since people would be bored with the game, and release will be closing, and other stuff ... even myself i only played once with Barbarian and stopped my evil play before i even reached Goblin camp. :-/
Lately i start realize that amount of time or amount of testing may not be relevant factor ... concidering that people are complaining about Wizards and Rogues for last ... year and half (or is it 3/4 allready?) and basicaly, nothing changed. :-/

So ... maybe im just sceptic somehow, but i just somehow cant help the feeling that real answer for the question: What will next patch contain? Is: It doesnt matter really.

---

And since topics like this will sooner or later turn into wishlist, why even resist?
I would not mind at all if next patch would be another pure mechanics patch without any new class as Patch ... 5, was it? Not sure. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/05/22 09:32 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Archaven #814629 06/05/22 10:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
was really start having fun around level 5 in solasta. think larian shouldn't give it away till the release. i would rather them work on the core mechanics of the game like.. reaction though.
The problem is that level 5 is where changes to 5e system might really start to mess things up. I think many of us would like to be able to try out (and most likely complain) about how multi-attack will be implemented in BG3 while it is still a year till release.

Wormerine #814644 07/05/22 12:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I think many of us would like to be able to try out (and most likely complain) about
😆

dbarron #814670 08/05/22 10:59 AM
old hand
old hand
I don't even mind the wait anymore. Solasta's doing more than enough to help pass the time at the moment. The optimist in me believes that reactions are making it in, so I've pretty much shifted my focus towards showing off some of the fights in the new Solasta campaign as a means of previewing what higher level fights in BG3 might look like.

Especially when it comes to mage battles.

I've come to realize that I don't think we even have an example of what a mage fight even looks like in BG3 thus far. The Crown of the Magister campaign in Solasta didn't have much for mage enemies (or encounters against NPC enemies that actually used dangerous class features), while the new Lost Valley campaign has a fair amount of them. The counterspell duels there can get pretty damn freaky.

BG3 is probably going to turn that concept up to 11 towards mid-game, and I'm kinda giddy about it.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 08/05/22 11:01 AM.
dbarron #814726 09/05/22 08:54 PM
apprentice
apprentice
At this point I'm quite positive that I will not be supporting Larian with any of their projects ever again. They have actively ignored this forum, strategically addressed shallow requests for publicity just because lots of people have went overboard over reddit and twitter, they seem to not have learned much from previous EAs and outright lied on how this EA would be handled.

So far in EA we should have CLEAR AS DAY info on what the fully released content would be...

Last edited by SilentRave; 09/05/22 08:56 PM.
dbarron #814733 10/05/22 04:10 AM
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
You do realize programmers can't really know for sure what the content will be until they finish coding it... Peter Monelyx and others has tried doing what you ask and predict what they will deliver and gotten horrible burned by you for failing, so most companies has completely given up on visions and other future prediction stuff, as it's far too easy to get it wrong.

We just got the Barbarian update and hopefully another one is on it way, so the EA seem to be going fine and it seem like our feedback has created major changes, so the EA is a success for us.

I do think they might have run into a problem because they seem to have predicted the EA period would be shorter than it ended up being, but that is a future us problem, as I don't think we have run out of planned EA updates yet.

Miravlix #814760 10/05/22 12:47 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Miravlix
You do realize programmers can't really know for sure what the content will be until they finish coding it... Peter Monelyx and others has tried doing what you ask and predict what they will deliver and gotten horrible burned by you for failing, so most companies has completely given up on visions and other future prediction stuff, as it's far too easy to get it wrong.

I think I saw you interpreting what others say in other posts in a very vague and stretchy fashion and I feel like it's happening here as well. I never burned anybody and I never said anybody should guess if their code will function properly at the end of a release. What you're stating here doesn't make any sense as programmers have nothing to do with the contents of the game as they have nothing to do with recording dialogues. That's just not their job. Also both Pillars of Eternity production and GOFUND me campaigns or whatever platform they were on, is a grand example on how wrong you are to your stretchy assessement.

We just got the Barbarian update and hopefully another one is on it way, so the EA seem to be going fine and it seem like our feedback has created major changes, so the EA is a success for us.

How does releasing a class equates with a succesfull EA? There are major technical issues present from day 1, constantly discussed and analyzed in this forum. They recently released 2 hotfixes stating in both of them that the aggro glitch that makes every NPC hostile is fixed, yet it's still present in the Myconid Colony. The performance is getting worse and worse by the patch, as of the latest we have camera angle problems. So no, the EA is not a success for us lmao...

I do think they might have run into a problem because they seem to have predicted the EA period would be shorter than it ended up being, but that is a future us problem, as I don't think we have run out of planned EA updates yet.

We most certainly haven't run out of EA planned updates cuz the game is still a hot technical and designal mess......

SilentRave #814762 10/05/22 01:10 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by SilentRave
At this point I'm quite positive that I will not be supporting Larian with any of their projects ever again. They have actively ignored this forum, strategically addressed shallow requests for publicity just because lots of people have went overboard over reddit and twitter, they seem to not have learned much from previous EAs and outright lied on how this EA would be handled.

So far in EA we should have CLEAR AS DAY info on what the fully released content would be...

BG3 isn't a Kickstarter project, and buying into EA gives you the privilege of playtesting early and possibly influence the development, even in the slightest, in exchange for paying early. You're a customer, not a supporter. Clearly there's a lot to desire when it comes to Larian's community management - outside of the rare updates around the patches, but to feel entitled to such is foolish. That is a bygone era, gaming is big business. Nor do I agree it's fair to say Larian is completely ignoring the forum. They obviously read opinions and have course corrected on a few of my main concerns/grievances, like excessive environmental effects on cantrips and excessive advantage shenanigans for instance.

Seraphael #814768 10/05/22 01:52 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I completely understand this is not a Kickstarter. I was refferring to content information and promises as to how the game will look like in the end. I have in mind a roadmap with content goals as of a progressing development and a plan on how to integrate said new content. I think having a clear look and setting promises on a Kickstarter as of the final image of a product is way more risky than setting goals on a constant developmental environment. That is all I'm saying in regards to the comparison. I'm assessing how logical, if at all it is to cut such slack for Larian as of Miravlix's comment.

Why Early Access?
“Through releasing Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2, we’ve learned that working directly with our players during development makes our games better. RPGs this large, with so many avenues for player choice and exploration, thrive from feedback as new features and fixes are incrementally added to the game.

Early Access gives players a chance to participate in development, and it gives us an opportunity to explore different game ideas with a live community to find what works best. We want to learn how you play the game and use that to make it a better experience for everyone.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“Since we announced BG3, community discussion and feedback has shaped what we’ve said and done. Though we have a strong vision for the game that runs throughout our team of 350+ people, our goal is to create a game that gets our audience – you! – excited, and to maintain a healthy relationship with those who take the time to provide feedback and help us to improve.

We use data collection tools to help us better balance the game, but we also listen to feedback wherever conversations about BG3 are happening and we use that to drive internal debate. Working with your thoughts, feedback and gameplay data helps us to better understand how our ideas are received and how they can be improved.”

This is how this EA is still advertised. Do you feel this is accurate at all ? If so, why are mechanics like shove, rogues still the way they are, while there are countless analytical posts from people in this very forum laying it all down? Also I have aknowledged these changes you mention in my comment characterising them as shallow, in terms of the longitude of the EA (undestandable since I didn't clarify). Of course, that's all in comparison to the current technical image and gameplay design and philosophy of this game.

They do, obviously read opinions. Addressing massive concearns for publicity in the earliest state of this EA was what they did, as mentioned in my comment "strategically addressed". When they changed the dice and surfaces I remember articles popping everywhere about how Larian splendidly handles their communications and that they listen to the community, which in light of the last year in this EA, not true, at all. What makes credible acquaintances is consistency, and not superficiality.

Do you feel they addressed any other critical concerns in such a meaningful approach? I can't see 1 Dev comment in any of Niara's analytical posts or any other concentrated feedback people have pulled out stating concerns or contemplating credibility of said analysis. Literally NONE...

Last edited by SilentRave; 10/05/22 02:03 PM.
SilentRave #814776 10/05/22 02:55 PM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by SilentRave
Not sure about that "as day" part ...
But i believe most of us have some idea how would certain things lookalike in the end.

apprentice
apprentice
More to the pessimistic side rather than the optimistic I suppose... I mean, I believe the branching of choices with so many different options and interactions based on every aspect of the character is something it seems like they might "nail" as of 1.0. The story also seems very promising. The gameplay aspect of it, not so much of an optimist...

dbarron #814780 10/05/22 03:53 PM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Depends on person i would say ...

Im quite optimistic about some things ... and quite pessimistic about others ... as i would dare to say most people around here. :-/
Sure some gets more to one side ... another gets more to the another ...

But if you are all dark and gloomy ... all i can say that you probably should not buy the game, until you know exactly what to expect. frown
But that is allways a lotery with preorders, isnt it? smile

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard