Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Teleportation is quite normal way of traveling in this world ...

No, it's not...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/05/22 09:11 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Yes ... it is:

Many major Temples, guilds, and other important places have permanent Teleportation Circles inscribed somewhere within their confines. Each such circle includes a unique sigil sequence - a string of magical runes arranged in a particular pattern. When you first gain the ability to cast this spell, you learn the sigil sequences for two destinations on The Material Plane, determined by the DM. You can learn additional sigil sequences during your adventures⁠.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Teleportation%20Circle#content

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
I lay my weapons on the ground.

Hope this game will be able to grant the maximum amount of fun to the maximum amount of people without becoming an amorphous amalgam of features antithetic to one another.

Peace.

Last edited by Sharet; 09/05/22 01:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes ... it is

Level 5 spell + portals in important locations in which the spell has been casted every day for one year doesn't make it a "quite normal" way of traveling, especially in such a small area in the middle of nowhere.

Ever played other video games, read books, look at films in the Forgotten Realms ? My knowledge maye not be fully updated but I guess no one would say that it's a "quite normal" way of traveling in the FR but you.

Teleportation also exist in The Witcher (and many other universe) without being a common way of traveling.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/05/22 10:55 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Many major Temples, guilds, and other important places have permanent Teleportation Circles inscribed somewhere within their confines. Each such circle includes a unique sigil sequence - a string of magical runes arranged in a particular pattern. When you first gain the ability to cast this spell, you learn the sigil sequences for two destinations on The Material Plane, determined by the DM. You can learn additional sigil sequences during your adventures⁠.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Teleportation%20Circle#content
Great! rpg007

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Level 5 spell
I may read this wrong so feel free to corect me someone reliable ... Niara for example ...
But the "spell" is about creating your own entry point and linking it to allready existing portal.

Here we are walking through allready existing portals, therefore we dont need the spell. wink

portals in important locations in which the spell has been casted every day for one year doesn't make it a "quite normal" way of traveling, especially in such a small area in the middle of nowhere.
Fun stuff ...
You know, if you read that description thoroughly, there is litteraly written "You can create a permanent teleportation circle" ... with empasis on the word "permanent" ...

Now, sure we are now "in the middle of nowhere" ... but have you ever concidered on what places those portals are?
Temple of Jergal ...
Emerald Grove ...
The only village around ...
Hut of Hag, where people come make (not exactly fair) bargains ...
Selune temple ...
The only Inn around ...
Tollhouse by the road ...
And finaly den of Zhentarim ... slavers/smuglers wealthy, and smart enough to see benefits of such transportation ...

Wich one of those was "not enough important" by your interpretation?
(Hope i didnt left out any from the surface)

We can continue in the Underdark:
Myconid collony ... the only Friendly place around, wich members of Society of Brilliance (that right, mages) uses as neutral ground ...
Stronghold of Sharites ...
Beach ... once again, the only village around
Sussur tree ... main source of resources for Lenore research ...
And finaly Grymforge, twice ... main source of Arms and Amor for whole Sharite army. laugh

The only one portal i would concider questionable i can think off ... is that one is spider cave.
But once again, we *know* that there was a Necromancer in the city ... wich most likely needed to move unseen. wink

Ever played other video games, read books, look at films in the Forgotten Realms?
Yup ...

no one would say that it's a "quite normal" way of traveling in the FR but you.
One could argue about at least me and writters from Larian see it this way. laugh

Teleportation also exist in The Witcher (and many other universe) without being a common way of traveling.
Funny you picked Witcher ...
Since even tho i admit i didnt read "everything" ... but still im not quite sure i have seen, hear, or read (unless she was forced to by circumstances obviously) Yennefer at least once using any and i mean ANY other means of transportation. laugh

---

Originally Posted by Sharet
I lay my weapons on the ground.
Aw thats a shame man. frown
I was really interested in those things. frown

Hope this game will be able to grant the maximum amount of funt to the maximum amount of people without becoming an amorphous amalgam of features antithetic to one another.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

veteran
veteran
Not sure if it will be in BG3 or not, but from the description of the teleportation spell, it looks like you can teleport anywhere that you have loot from without issues.😊 rpg007

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Not sure if it will be in BG3 or not, but from the description of the teleportation spell, it looks like you can teleport anywhere that you have loot from without issues.😊 rpg007

If you're a level 9 wizard, sorcerer or bard yes, it looks like you can teleport from everywhere to a permanent teleportation circle you've learned the runes before.

It would be a great power to have after we leveled up. But why would we need it in BG3 ? Everyone can already do it (and even more, you can teleport from and to locations without teleportation circle - which is not what the "portals" are but whatever, just another incoherence among others).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/05/22 02:37 PM.

veteran
veteran
Hope this game will be able to grant the maximum amount of fun to the maximum amount of people without becoming an amorphous amalgam of features antithetic to one another.
This is exactly my hope for the game as well, a maximalist approach to make happy as many fans as possible, within reason, versus a minimalist approach of only catering to the D:OS fans.

veteran
veteran
from the description of the teleportation spell, it looks like you can teleport anywhere that you have loot from without issues.
I dunno ...
That 1 round duration sounds like a little let down ...

But puting that aside for a second (since many spells was "adjusted" a little) ...
It could work perfectly as creating your own waypoint ... i dunno, i would like the option to create portal out, and then (within the same day prefferably) have option to port right back.

veteran
veteran
Level 5 spell
I may read this wrong so feel free to corect me someone reliable ... Niara for example ...
But the "spell" is about creating your own entry point and linking it to allready existing portal.

Here we are walking through allready existing portals, therefore we dont need the spell. wink
As I understand it, you are incorrect. Permanent Teleportation Circles are only destinations.
Originally Posted by Teleportation Circle Spell Description
As you cast the spell, you draw a 10-foot-diameter circle on the ground inscribed with sigils that link your Location to a permanent teleportation circle of your choice whose sigil sequence you know and that is on the same plane of existence as you.
You can create a permanent teleportation circle by casting this spell in the same Location every day for one year.
There is nothing in the spell that specifies permanent circles can be used without casting the spell. It just allows you to add a new Permanent Circle to the world (presumably in your base). It's not even clear if you can use a Permanent Circle as a departure site (I feel most GMs would allow that, still requiring the 5th-level spell to be cast of course).

Notably, Teleport (a 7th-level spell, castable by 13th-level casters) is the spell you're referring to that allows you to teleport anywhere you can think of. This is a very high level spell and thus would only be relevant for the last little bit of the game, if the game even goes up to level 13.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Permanent Teleportation Circles are only destinations.
Thats what i said. smile

You create your own entry point and get through it to some, allready existing, permanent portal.

There is nothing in the spell that specifies permanent circles can be used without casting the spell.
Nope ... but i didnt say there is ...
I claimed several times that curent fast traveling anywhere futher from waypoint, is simple QoL feature snaping out walking to the nearest waypoint ... wich in most cases, would mean just walking through cleaned area where is nothing new or interesting.
> Aka: No magic included.

Maximuuus claimed that using portals is not common in Faerun ... description of this spell litteraly states that there "are" permanent portals around the world ... therefore, quite logicaly, it is possible to travel through portals around Faerun.
And as Morigan said in Dragon Age: How common is "usualy"? If its not all the time, how can you tell if something is unusual? smile

It just allows you to add a new Permanent Circle to the world (presumably in your base).
Exactly as i thought ...
Only for one turn tho ... i was thinking about uses for this spell, and the only one i find out is escape from overwhelming fight. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/05/22 05:31 PM.

veteran
veteran
@Rag, oh sorry I misread your post. Yep you were correct! I blame being sick.
Well, partially correct. See in my last paragraph - there are both Teleportation Circles and Teleportation Portals in 5e - the former is only a destination for said spell, but the latter can be used by anyone with the correct passkey. If these "Netherese portals" are the former, then we shouldn't be able to use them.

I agree with @Maximuuus that portal usage is not common; the portals in cities are Teleportation Circles and thus require casting of that spell to use them. So use of them is reserved for Important People that can afford the cost of a level 9 caster - definitely not used by commoners or even Tier 1 (level 1-4) adventurers. 5e Adventurer's League rules suggest that getting a level 5 spell cast costs hundreds of gp.

BUT - there do exist portals around in the world which are usable by anyone with a password or special item. These are relatively common in Adventure Modules; a party will typically find 1 or maybe even 2 through the course of adventuring to level 11+. So there is precedent for portals that don't require casting that Teleportation Circle spell, although I can't find rules governing the creation of these. But again, these are still uncommon even for adventurers; they usually link to a powerful enemy secret base and aren't just out there everywhere in the world.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 09/05/22 05:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
That’s really not that relevant if teleporting all over the place is possible in lore. It’s more relevant if unrestrained teleporting makes for a more engaging game.

veteran
veteran
Agreed ...
As i said it was only brought up for the sake of wholesomeness(?) of argument ...

Anyway since as it seems we are unable to agree on this ... lets hope Larian will realize that options are the only corect way.
(Feels odd to talk about company as about living person.)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
That’s really not that relevant if teleporting all over the place is possible in lore. It’s more relevant if unrestrained teleporting makes for a more engaging game.

Not usual, but I disagree with you on this one.
Both are important imo, one for the "role" and the other for the "play".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/05/22 08:27 AM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Not usual, but I disagree with you on this one.
Both are important imo, one for the "role" and the other for the "play".
In general I am in favour of making up a narrative excuse if it enhances the experience. As of now, I don't think fast travel is well explained through the narrative, nor do I think that it enhances the gameplay.

There is shockigly little effort put (as of now) to make things feel native to the world. That is in general a worryingly lazy design, and especially for story centric genre like RPGs. I am struggling to come up with an cRPG that would be as bad in that regard as BG3.

old hand
old hand
There is already a limiter on Fast Travel, if you don't like it, don't use it, or don't "abuse" it. Worry about what's happening in your save file and leave Joe Casual alone.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Portals and Forgotten Realms. Common or not?

Depends on where you are. Underdark Drow city of Menzoberranzan, probably quite common for more prominent houses, but still not as common as in BG3. Host Tower in Luskan - VERY common. Some defunct ruin of an ancient elven city. Might be common there too.

So it depends, honestly. If they had a decent explanation for it, I don't think it would be as big an issue, AND if they didn't allow you to use them from anywhere without cost or potentially running into dangers.

Example: Champions of Norrath 2. Portals everywhere. You were bouncing from plane to plane. BUT, they were level markers. You had to physically walk to each and every portal and you pretty much used one only when you had cleared the level.

The problem with BG3 is that you can just willy nilly use them. There's no limit or nothing. Now, if they did something like, "You must find special crystals that activate them. You spend one crystal per use.". That would make more sense.

See, in FR, portals are powerful magic. There is usually something required to use them. You don't just see one and go, "Hey. I can teleport now to anywhere.". You need to actually be able to use magic read it, understand it, or have some magic items to activate them.

addict
addict
I'm 100% fine with the implementation of fast travel personally, I think it's a cool feature for QoL. Only thing I would like is simply for it to be more " Anchored" in the story line. Either instead of portals we could have road signs implicating the character simply "walks" instead of magically teleportating. Or as GM4Him specified we could have some items allowing us to use them. Idk.

Immersion FFS !!

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard