Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Didn't DoS:2 have a thing where the undead folk weren't as easily accepted as the other races? And even a head-piece to disguise them, if i'm not mistaken. But then again, DoS didn't have as many character options as BG3. With all the races that are planned to be on the latter i'd be honestly surprised if they managed to provide more than some flavour and the occational callback.

Ayup, in DOS2 if you went into the cities as a undead (without the mask) then you could definitely expect to be attacked. laugh *may or may not have forgotten to disguise Fane on multiple occasions*

So, Larian definitely knows how to execute these kind of things when they want to. Either they changed their minds for BG3, or WotC are the ones responsible for the "everybody is fine"-treatment.

Last edited by Dez; 14/04/22 02:22 PM.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dez
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Didn't DoS:2 have a thing where the undead folk weren't as easily accepted as the other races?
Ayup, in DOS2 if you went into the cities as a undead (without the mask) then you could definitely expect to be attacked. laugh
That was also unfortunately a very meaningless system - if you wear clothes, you are concealed.

I think the only game which did extreme races well was Bloodlines, and that’s “the thing” that game did.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Dez
So, Larian definitely knows how to execute these kind of things when they want to. Either they changed their minds for BG3, or WotC are the ones responsible for the "everybody is fine"-treatment.

I imagine it might be the case that WotC insisted on implementing fantasy race inclusivity. Personally I preferred the notion that certain races might face hostility and distrust in certain locales because it creates more interesting RP possibilities.

P
addict
addict
P
Except the PHB literally talks about certain races facing distrust and prejudice because of past events or stereotypes. WOtC aren't the ones pushing this, this issue stems from a lack of effort, not someone putting effort into deliberately making the game bland.

This problem isn't exclusive to 5e, nor to BG3, I've seen it in multiple crpgs based on D&D. Hell, it's not even exclusive to D&D in particular, it's also been an issue for Elder Scrolls games in the past.

stranger
stranger
I also thought Everyone is rather chill when nothing else but a goddamn "DROW" suddenly enters the Camp, Grove, etc. grin

That was always kinda hilarious.
I am not sure how most People would react to "Gith", but if People are wary of Tieflings and always have Trashtalk at the ready for them, then i think it's only fair if People are also very wary of Drow. Compared to Drow, i think Tiefling-Folks are pretty harmless. They just look kinda devilish. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

apprentice
apprentice
Hell yeah! I imagine if people in the Forgotten Realms universe were celebrate Halloween, most would be too afraid of the drows to dress up as them, but a lot of children (and perhaps adults) would dress up as tieflings. They're just too calm when they meet drow who have a very bad reputation after all, and even if there are good drow communities, most people probably only associate dark elves with the cruel followers of Lolth. It has always touched me as I read Drizzt's adventures how Drizzt has had to contend with the distrust and hostility of other races for being a drow. This created an amazing atmosphere, reminding that Drizzt was not a human, or even an ordinary surface elf, but a dark elf who had grown up in a society of cruel creatures with a terrible reputation. I'd love to experience something like that while playing, both as Lolth-Sworn Drow and Seladrine Drow. And maybe a little less, but still, I'd like to experience a similarly negative reaction as a half-drow.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
They have 100 people on their design team.

Having one person on the team to correct the nagging little details that disrupt the overall montage would be WISE!

Stop repetitive dialogs (once is enough). Ambient noise should follow the traditional wisdom of not quite intelligible, with meme sounds (such as hammers in the smith area, or laughter at the tavern, ect).

Githyanki, should get a few reactions ("Did you see that!" or "A Githyanki!"), then the surprise should die out.

An immersive environment should react and then find balance again.

Last edited by Van'tal; 01/05/22 05:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
This is why I generally prefer less races in RPG's. They need to make sense or the game world loses credibility, which in turn waters down any story they are trying to tell in that setting.

When players ask for playable Goblins, Minotaurs, Vampires or whatever, the devs need to protect players from themselves. It's a huge undertaking to properly flesh out an entire race. If you can't do it right, you shouldn't do it at all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, we need more GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWBLINS. Vampires.......well I mean 'Points at one of the Origin Characters.' as for Minotaurs, why not?

P
addict
addict
P
It's because all of those races have all been playable in 5e, some for many years, people get used to having their favourites. In an actual pnp campaign the DM can make allowances for most things (unless there's a world lore reason, or you have a really restrictive DM, they do exist), but in a video game campaign it's simply not possible to code in specific reactions and allowances for every possible player race, because there are a lot of exotic and monstrous player races. It's too many variations for what is essentially a heavily railroaded campaign.

Larian is clearly taking the path of less effort, by just not coding extensive npc reactions to the more maligned or exotic race options we have available, and at this point, I'll be happy if we actually manage to get all the PHB options by launch, even if no one really reacts to a Drow or Gith character (because then it'll just be exactly like a dozen other dnd crpg games).

addict
addict
Just wanna add my two cents here. Considering that we can choose to go beyond lorefriendly color schemes in the character creation, npc's reaction to our race can get even more ridiculous. I do want to remember myself creating a fair skinned, red hair drow with green eyes. But ofc I got the drow remark when entering the grove. How?! How can you tell you miserable tiefling dimwitt! :P

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 09/05/22 10:05 PM. Reason: grammar
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Piff
It's because all of those races have all been playable in 5e, some for many years, people get used to having their favourites. In an actual pnp campaign the DM can make allowances for most things (unless there's a world lore reason, or you have a really restrictive DM, they do exist), but in a video game campaign it's simply not possible to code in specific reactions and allowances for every possible player race, because there are a lot of exotic and monstrous player races. It's too many variations for what is essentially a heavily railroaded campaign.

Larian is clearly taking the path of less effort, by just not coding extensive npc reactions to the more maligned or exotic race options we have available, and at this point, I'll be happy if we actually manage to get all the PHB options by launch, even if no one really reacts to a Drow or Gith character (because then it'll just be exactly like a dozen other dnd crpg games).

What? The drow has arguably the most unique dialogue in the game. What's more, it's literally easy mode in any interaction with the goblins.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
No, we need more GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWBLINS.
There is many Goblin skins ... i bet some moder will make it happen. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
What? The drow has arguably the most unique dialogue in the game. What's more, it's literally easy mode in any interaction with the goblins.

I've literally never played the other side of this game where you side with the goblins. And I would wager that neither have a majority of players. The Op of this thread seems to be talking specifically about the people in the grove and the mercenaries, so they probably haven't played that route either.

EDIT: I just remembered you can trick your way into the fort with the goblins, but there weren't that many conversations to be had, or maybe I was just too murdery to have conversations.

Last edited by Piff; 10/05/22 12:06 AM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Piff
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

I've literally never played the other side of this game where you side with the goblins. And I would wager that neither have a majority of players. The Op of this thread seems to be talking specifically about the people in the grove and the mercenaries, so they probably haven't played that route either.

EDIT: I just remembered you can trick your way into the fort with the goblins, but there weren't that many conversations to be had, or maybe I was just too murdery to have conversations.

As for the grove, I don't remember all interactions, but there are certainly some of them.
-> If you take the side of Zevlor in the argument with Aradin, he will refer to the fact that you are a drow.
-> Druids guarding the grove don't like you even more.
-> Kagha is definitely nicer
-> When Halsin tells you to murder the leaders, he also pays attention to who you are.
I'm not sure there was anything else from Nettie.

In addition, you must add a large number of interactions with goblins, which are at least twice as many.
Overall, I think Larian did a great job with drows.
It's hard for me to recall another game that had so many unique dialogues for one race only.[spoiler][/spoiler]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
My Character won't work without the reactions to being one.
His entire shtick is that he is a Neutral Good Paladin, but incredibly dour and sarcastic due to all the racism he's faced.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Personally I preferred the notion that certain races might face hostility and distrust in certain locales because it creates more interesting RP possibilities.

It will also pass a good message if you are playing, let's say a Drow, who is distrusted by the druids in the grove but still chose to help them so that, in the end, they recognise they were wrong about you and maybe should reconsider some notions they have.

SWTOR does this extremely well when you play an honourable ("good") sith. You can see the Jedi questioning their prejudice after witnessing your actions on multiple occasions.

It is possible. I don't know why it is not implemented in BG3 but it is genuinely possible.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
My Character won't work without the reactions to being one.
His entire shtick is that he is a Neutral Good Paladin, but incredibly dour and sarcastic due to all the racism he's faced.
In that case ...
I have nice place to burry your dream if you want ...

Bcs ... since world dont even react properly on Drows, i really doubt they would for Goblins. frown
Its true tho that if they would create proper rections for Goblins ... most of them would be useable for Drow aswell.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sharet
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Personally I preferred the notion that certain races might face hostility and distrust in certain locales because it creates more interesting RP possibilities.

It will also pass a good message if you are playing, let's say a Drow, who is distrusted by the druids in the grove but still chose to help them so that, in the end, they recognise they were wrong about you and maybe should reconsider some notions they have.

SWTOR does this extremely well when you play an honourable ("good") sith. You can see the Jedi questioning their prejudice after witnessing your actions on multiple occasions.

It is possible. I don't know why it is not implemented in BG3 but it is genuinely possible.
My main in that is a Light Side Sith Warrior (He's a Sith Pureblood for added insanity, because he's a contradiction and that tickled my funny bone immensely.).
Watching the various Jedis' head exploding in response (Or in some cases, slow Realization.) is hilarious.
Reactions like that are incredibly satisfying.

Hence why I want my Goblin Paladin.
I have the idea in my head and everything.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My main in that is a Light Side Sith Warrior (He's a Sith Pureblood for added insanity, because he's a contradiction and that tickled my funny bone immensely.).
Watching the various Jedis' head exploding in response (Or in some cases, slow Realization.) is hilarious.
Reactions like that are incredibly satisfying.

They are, aren't they? laugh

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard