Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I was playing EA and now I think that my first playthrought if game will be related with currently companions will be solo. They totally don't get with my paladin or bard.

veteran
veteran
Yes, Larian said they included only the evil and neutral companions so far in EA, but there will also be good companions included on release.😊

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm so happy after reading this. My paladin will feel nad with currently companions.

veteran
veteran
If you want play good, Shadowheart and Gale are good choices, they approve of good aligned choices

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I have Gale. He is strange dude.

R
old hand
old hand
R
It's not so bad with companions except Astarion and Lae'zel, the rest approve of some 80% (or more) of good choices.
As long as you're not playing with what I like to call "stupid" good, you'll be fine.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Yes, Larian said they included only the evil and neutral companions so far in EA, but there will also be good companions included on release.😊

Come on, we're still buying that? smile

veteran
veteran
Concidering datamined companions and conversations with them?
Yup, we do.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
A lot of the current party members are pretty chill and are totally suitable for good aligned parties. Wyll may be a bit ego-driven but he has his heart in the right place and will approve of good actions. He'll also leave the party if you take the evil path with the druid grove. Gale is also similar, being a little arrogant but ultimately still being a good person who likes it when you do things such as save the kid in the druid grove. Shadowheart is pretty interesting since despite worshipping an evil goddess, she approves of a lot of "good" actions and also generally likes it when you try to talk things out and resolve situations peacefully.

The only party members who are actually evil and probably hard to justify in good aligned parties are Lae'zael and Astarion (probably Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil respectively). Even then I can see someone like a devotion paladin recruiting them in order to try and keep and eye on them while also following leads to cure themselves.

Last edited by ArcaneHobbit; 15/05/22 10:58 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Somewhat. I have no reason to believe that anything changed throughout development. I am a bit worried that they will try to "mature good companions up" or "make good companions more intesting", and I just don't believe in Larian having narrative chops to pull it off.

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ArcaneHobbit
A lot of the current party members are pretty chill and are totally suitable for good aligned parties. Wyll may be a bit ego-driven but he has his heart in the right place and will approve of good actions. He'll also leave the party if you take the evil path with the druid grove. Gale is also similar, being a little arrogant but ultimately still being a good person who likes it when you do things such as save the kid in the druid grove. Shadowheart is pretty interesting since despite worshipping an evil goddess, she approves of a lot of "good" actions and also generally likes it when you try to talk things out and resolve situations peacefully.

The only party members who are actually evil and probably hard to justify in good aligned parties are Lae'zael and Astarion (probably Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil respectively). Even then I can see someone like a devotion paladin recruiting them in order to try and keep and eye on them while also following leads to cure themselves.

Wyll stinks like demon worshipers, when I first meet him I almsot kileld him on sight. Wyll is strange and crazy mage even if he want do good things often he made mroe harm. Shadowhearth probably will die in late game with selfsacrifice if you let her do good things or some one will sacrefice her if you chose evil way for her.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Somewhat. I have no reason to believe that anything changed throughout development. I am a bit worried that they will try to "mature good companions up" or "make good companions more intesting", and I just don't believe in Larian having narrative chops to pull it off.
^This.

Originally Posted by ArcaneHobbit

No. None of these companions can be justified in a truly good party, especially SH.

There are zero satisfactory companions for a good-aligned party right now, and I am deeply skeptical we will get any.

Last edited by kanisatha; 15/05/22 01:36 PM.
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Paladin is not in game yeat because there is no single companion that will work with typical Paladin. You cannot join githiyanki to LG paladin, you cannot have vamprie that drink blood, demon worshipper is also big NO. Gale is unstable mage, so he can be treath to civilans. Shadowheart is worshiper of evil good, but she is doing good things, mabe paladin will try make her convert to good alightment. In the end there is no way to make good alightment party.
In BG 2 for example best character in my opinion was Viconia and Imoen. I really don't like Jeheira because she crying a lot, and Aerie was one of best romances but she was stupid kiddo.

Last edited by Rouoko; 15/05/22 01:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think you're kind of typcasting paladins a bit here. Astarion is an unrepentant vampire who seems like he would be fine being a vampire if he just didn't have to obey his master, so he'd be bad for a paladin, yes. Lae'zel is also ruthless and brutal and uncaring in a way that a paladin would certainly object too, I agree. Shadowheart as you say, does have some room to potentially become good, especially since you don't find out the truth until a while in, so there's a chance to make a bond there. Wyll made a deal with a devil, but he does want out and he has tried to do good and seems like he could be a genuinely good person with some support. I think it would be easy to justify a paladin wanting to help him break free of his deal and redeem him. Gale is unstable and a potential threat, but that threat can be mitigated in a very clear way and beyond that he's, from what we've seen, a perfectly unobjectionable person. Is he kind of shifty and probably untrustworthy? Yeah, but not to a degree that a paladin would feel the need to get involved with, I don't think. If anything, a paladin would want to help him be free of his curse to try and protect people, since I don't think paladin's are meant to be a kill first, ask questions later sort of group.

So yeah, it's not truly that hard to justify a good party. Lae'zel, Astarion and maybe Shadowheart are the only ones who would be definite no's.

veteran
veteran
But that's exactly my issue. Why do all "good" companions have to be characters who have questionable morals and judgment at a minimum, and it is my job as the PC to fix them and help them redeem themselves and thus become "good"? I am utterly tired of that trope. I just want companions who are undeniably good and don't require any redeeming or fixing on my part.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Like MInsc and Boo? Go for the eyes!!!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine

By that do you mean make every "good" character have a haunted past that they need to overcome, and an extensional crisis where they come to the realization that there is no good and evil, but shades of grey?

addict
addict
I would like it if there are new companions to be recruited later on in the game, in the chapters following chapter 1. Fresh blood can shake up the game and the party, and having a complete cast right at the start of the game seems too artificial for me. Also, I think it would be good to have many different reasons for certain party compositions, besides abilities and their position on the good-evil axis.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
But that's exactly my issue. Why do all "good" companions have to be characters who have questionable morals and judgment at a minimum, and it is my job as the PC to fix them and help them redeem themselves and thus become "good"? I am utterly tired of that trope. I just want companions who are undeniably good and don't require any redeeming or fixing on my part.

I agree that trope is overplayed, but I don't think it's in play here specifically. Larian has said that these aren't the good companions, and that they'll be introduced later. So while they may still do what you suggest, my view of what we have now is that these are companions that aren't explicitly good but have the potential to be good.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by kanisatha
No. None of these companions can be justified in a truly good party, especially SH.

There are zero satisfactory companions for a good-aligned party right now, and I am deeply skeptical we will get any.
Originally Posted by Rouoko
Wyll stinks like demon worshipers, when I first meet him I almsot kileld him on sight. Wyll is strange and crazy mage even if he want do good things often he made mroe harm. Shadowhearth probably will die in late game with selfsacrifice if you let her do good things or some one will sacrefice her if you chose evil way for her.
Originally Posted by Rouoko
Paladin is not in game yeat because there is no single companion that will work with typical Paladin. You cannot join githiyanki to LG paladin, you cannot have vamprie that drink blood, demon worshipper is also big NO. Gale is unstable mage, so he can be treath to civilans. Shadowheart is worshiper of evil good, but she is doing good things, mabe paladin will try make her convert to good alightment. In the end there is no way to make good alightment party.
I don't really see why a paladin wouldn't be able to ally with some of these characters. Gale and Wyll in particular are characters that most paladins would gladly accept into their parties. Neither are really evil aligned and accepting them into their party wouldn't threaten to break a paladin's oath or conflict with the tenets of most good aligned deities.

Gale is hardly an unstable person. The main reason he's a threat to others is the bomb in his chest which is very clearly something that's out of his control (it's not like he wants to explode). Aside from that he's very clearly shown to be a well meaning person, if not a little arrogant, who demonstrates pretty sound morals that most paladins would agree with. A traditional LG paladin would gladly accept his help. In fact I'd reckon a devotion or redemption paladin (as well as paladin of good aligned gods such as Torm, Tyr, Ilmater, and Lathander in the forgotten realms) would feel obligated to try and help him solve the issue with the netherese destruction orb since doing so would obviously be a good act that would help him as well as countless others around him. In particular, I'd say that the Tenets of honor and compassion in a devotion paladin's oath would apply here and not just allow but motivate devotion paladins to accept him into their party.

Wyll is a warlock with a fiendish patron, but that does not by definition make him a bad person. Warlocks after all can be of any alignment, with a person's morality instead being defined by what they choose to do with their powers (their actions) rather than where they came from. In this case, Wyll used his demon-gifted powers in order to do good, becoming a famous hero who has helped people. While his motivations aren't exactly pure (the man does love his glory), that still doesn't change the fact that he did quite a bit of good. Some paladins (specifically redemption paladins, ancients paladins, and those of gods such as Lathander and Ilmater) might disagree with some of his methods such as torturing goblins in order to extract information, but they'd still be willing to ally with him in order to try and rein him in. Wyll also isn't a demon worshipper. In fact, it's the opposite. He very obviously regrets his decision to form a pact with Mizora and his entire motivation for finding her is to try and sever it.

Shadowheart is a bit of interesting case since she is a cleric of an evil deity, but that by itself doesn't necessarily mean she's a bad person or that a paladin wouldn't ally with her. Redemption paladins and those of a lot of good gods would try to help redeem her, especially after seeing how she acts. While traditional LG paladins would probably be a little wary of her, they'd still probably be able to accept her help with how dire the circumstances are and the fact that her behaviour for the most part tends to be good. Having her in a party wouldn't put them at risk of breaking their oath.

Like the only people a (devotion) paladin would be extremely hesitant to have in their party is Astarion and Lae'zael. For everyone else (and especially Gale and Wyll), you'd need to be a Lawful Stupid "stick in the mud" sort of paladin to not even consider accepting their help in such dire circumstances.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard