Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
dbarron #814967 14/05/22 01:08 PM
veteran
veteran
I think I get what ou mean, Planescapist. It feels as though Larian isn't really trying to build hype for the game, either with those who bought the EA or those who haven't. It could just be that our opinions are skewed because we're interacting with the game regularly, when in reality this is that phase in every game's development when things are quiet and they're not doing much to market it. However I do feel like they could do a lot more to build up investment. I remember when Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous was doing its kickstarter, they released loads of lore throughout the campaign, talking about classes, races, the lore of the world and the companions. They had a bunch of things going on even after the kickstarter to build hype for quite a while. They would tweet, they had streams of the prior game, etc. Larian could do stuff like that to build hype. I would love getting some lore of Faerun articles, bits of history, stuff that they can just pluck from old material and put out with relatively little effort that can entice people into being interested.

I don't know how much is truly realistic to expect from Larian, but I will say that that they haven't maintained a healthy relationship with the we who have decided to give them feedback. And I do think at this stage they really should have more concrete info to give. We know that they said back at the start that they're aiming to get all the player's handbook material into the game, and I do believe they'll manage that, but by now we should have gotten confirmation. And even if they're not going to tell us who they are or introduce them in EA, they should be able to tell us how many companions we're going to have available. Surely if they think they're going to release the game next year, they have to have that much info settled. Even if they haven't impleneted stuff, they should be at a stage where they're certain on what they can actually do. Especially since those aspects would need a good amount of planning ahead of time. I would imagine that number of companions and choice of classes are things that should have been settled long ago.

Gray Ghost #814974 14/05/22 03:54 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
And even if they're not going to tell us who they are or introduce them in EA, they should be able to tell us how many companions we're going to have available. Surely if they think they're going to release the game next year, they have to have that much info settled. Even if they haven't impleneted stuff, they should be at a stage where they're certain on what they can actually do. Especially since those aspects would need a good amount of planning ahead of time. I would imagine that number of companions and choice of classes are things that should have been settled long ago.
I would like to know the number of companions, too (if it is final)!😊

dbarron #814983 15/05/22 12:05 AM
addict
addict
"There will be 10 companions" one year later " There will be 8 of them actually " " THEY LIED! BURN LARIAN ! HANG THEM BY TH FEET".

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
dbarron #814991 15/05/22 06:59 AM
old hand
old hand
To be fair, Owlcat never publicly confirmed the total number of main (as in, non-mythic path specific) companions for Pathfinder WotR either. The very last companion is never publicly talked about in any promotional material either, and a lot of new players wouldn't know about this last party member at all unless they looked them up in advance.

Not a big thing to get hung up over, really. I don't recall knowing the total number of companions before release/during early release being standard practice at all, it's just that the way the DOS games handled that (of which it was a byproduct of the Origin system in DOS2) might have conditioned a lot of people into thinking it was.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 15/05/22 07:00 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
To be fair, Owlcat never publicly confirmed the total number of main (as in, non-mythic path specific) companions for Pathfinder WotR either. The very last companion is never publicly talked about in any promotional material either, and a lot of new players wouldn't know about this last party member at all unless they looked them up in advance.

Not a big thing to get hung up over, really. I don't recall knowing the total number of companions before release/during early release being standard practice at all, it's just that the way the DOS games handled that (of which it was a byproduct of the Origin system in DOS2) might have conditioned a lot of people into thinking it was.

adding more party characters in pathfinder wotr will be much easier compared to bg3 IMHO. if anything wotr creating the characters will require less budget. a nicely hand-drawn portrait, text-based dialogue (with some voiced) no real cinematics required. that's being said, i rather have larian focused on the meat of the gameplay like what owlcat was doing rather than big AAA budget for cinematics and full voice over. this is no brainer we wont get much companions, NPCs, let alone branching dialogue and choices. those budget can really just used and focused on said gameplay like reactions, more writings, branching dialogues and perhaps multiple endings too. only main acts and important conversation should have cinematics and fully voiced in my opinion.

Gray Ghost #815015 15/05/22 01:44 PM
veteran
veteran
I think I get what ou mean, Planescapist. It feels as though Larian isn't really trying to build hype for the game, either with those who bought the EA or those who haven't.
Maybe the number of people who bought the game EA were more than Larian expected to buy the game in total, and since the EA buyers are already locked in and cannot get a refund Larian doesn't really care anymore how things turn out going into full release. Any additional future sales are just icing on the cake for them. Just a thought.

In any case, yes, I am one of those people @Planescapist is talking about, someone who has not bought into the EA but who SHOULD be an automatic sale for Larian given that I am a passionate fan of the original BG games. And yet Larian keeps finding ways to alienate me. Why?

Icelyn #815034 15/05/22 05:07 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Icelyn
And even if they're not going to tell us who they are or introduce them in EA, they should be able to tell us how many companions we're going to have available. Surely if they think they're going to release the game next year, they have to have that much info settled. Even if they haven't impleneted stuff, they should be at a stage where they're certain on what they can actually do. Especially since those aspects would need a good amount of planning ahead of time. I would imagine that number of companions and choice of classes are things that should have been settled long ago.
I would like to know the number of companions, too (if it is final)!😊

Not me! Throughout the game I would like to cherish the feeling that every character that I encounter might be a companion. Reaching the point of knowing you have a full roster is like dying a litle. It feels a like the beginning of the end, the journey downhill until the game ends. It is just like the point when you realise there are no new quests coming in.

Let´s compare it with real life: How much fun would your life be if at birth you are made known the number of good friends you are going to have?

Ikke #815049 15/05/22 08:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ikke
Let´s compare it with real life: How much fun would your life be if at birth you are made known the number of good friends you are going to have?

It may not be as much "fun", but at least your expectations will be tempered.

Ikke #815055 15/05/22 11:15 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ikke
And how much time could be saved talking to wrong people, if you knew who is worth chatting to... or who are potential romance options.

Wormerine #815057 16/05/22 12:20 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wormerine
who are potential romance options.

That would be awesome.

dbarron #815059 16/05/22 01:51 AM
addict
addict
Real life = definitely no reload, and no replay as far as I can recall ...?

kanisatha #815061 16/05/22 05:50 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I think I get what ou mean, Planescapist. It feels as though Larian isn't really trying to build hype for the game, either with those who bought the EA or those who haven't.
Maybe the number of people who bought the game EA were more than Larian expected to buy the game in total, and since the EA buyers are already locked in and cannot get a refund Larian doesn't really care anymore how things turn out going into full release. Any additional future sales are just icing on the cake for them. Just a thought.

In any case, yes, I am one of those people @Planescapist is talking about, someone who has not bought into the EA but who SHOULD be an automatic sale for Larian given that I am a passionate fan of the original BG games. And yet Larian keeps finding ways to alienate me. Why?
A company's reputation is worth every effort. CDPR knows that very well....

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Argyle #815066 16/05/22 06:03 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argyle
Reincarnation principle would disagree

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Argyle #815068 16/05/22 06:07 AM
addict
addict
Depends.... I had weird dreams sometimes. And they were super realistic. Feels like i quick load from time to time.

Argyle #815111 16/05/22 02:57 PM
veteran
veteran
Hey speak for yourself. I am Hindu, sooo .... wink

dbarron #815134 16/05/22 09:43 PM
addict
addict
The issue is one of recollection. But I must agree, there are definitely times when I feel there is something profound within the concept of reincarnation. The spell still exists in 5E, and I think it would make a great topic for a story line. Imagine being reincarnated, and then going back to the things in your former life, but viewing them through different eyes! Whoa.

Argyle #815135 16/05/22 10:37 PM
addict
addict
The issue is one of recollection. But I must agree, there are definitely times when I feel there is something profound within the concept of reincarnation. The spell still exists in 5E, and I think it would make a great topic for a story line. Imagine being reincarnated, and then going back to the things in your former life, but viewing them through different eyes! Whoa.
That's actually a dope scenario for a movie. Hell even for a game. Not necessarily a D&D game. But yeah.

Argyle #815196 17/05/22 02:17 PM
veteran
veteran
Completely off-topic, but there are people around the world who say this is true for them, that they can recall with astonishing accuracy personal details of things, events, and people from their previous lives.

Argyle #815207 17/05/22 07:01 PM
veteran
veteran
That is almost the story of Pillars of Eternity :hihi:.

dbarron #815210 17/05/22 08:44 PM
addict
addict
Huh! Yeah, I just read a plot synopsis for PoE ... animancers & Watchers, a bit confusing and thus appropriate for one like me who often wanders in the unknowing mists of Leira anyway. I guess Planescape has an angle somewhat like that as well. I would not use a reincarnation as a plot device for the PC's story, but rather as an NPC subplot. That way you could write it the way you want.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard