Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
Online Content
addict
Edit: Drath Malorn already made the same point. Didn’t mean to pile on.

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Having all the encounters and places of interest close to each other makes travelling in the game's world consistently exciting and entertaining, but it can make the world feel very artificial and non-sensical.

Originally Posted by Grainofariver
I think it's been a major problem with games for the last decade that they just make bigger worlds, but have nothing interesting to fill them with. [...] It feels big, but also empty and lifeless. I much prefer having everything close together than just putting a mile of green landscape between each point of interest.
BG3’s map density is good for pacing, like a DM saying “the party walks for a while and gets to the village.” But this utilitarian approach is what gives off theme park vibes.

The maps are built like networks, with points of interest connected by corridors. The player still has to travel but never gets to wonder what would happen if they wandered off the beaten path. They can only ever choose left or right when the minimap reveals a fork in the road.

There are other things which give the maps an air of artificiality. The obvious difference in scale between corridors and encounter areas; the deliberate placement of bridges, gates and jumps to mark new zones; the disconnect between the camp and the world.

Timelessness is the other half of the theme park problem. Since the map design isn’t going to change, Larian can’t get away with a world where not even the sun moves without the player’s input.

Last edited by Flooter; 25/05/22 06:11 PM.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
24 years ago, a then-little-known game called Baldur's Gate used another solution. I don't know if it had been notably used before, nor what games used it afterwards, but it worked pretty well in Baldur's Gate. The solution can be summarised as such : "Your journey lasted 16 hours".

By breaking the game world into explorable-playable maps, the game can keep exploration exciting while making the world feel big and credible.
Ultimately it comes down to what works for each person, but to me this compromise gains the benefit of neither. Exploration doesn't feel exciting to me because it's kept strictly into "exploration areas". I think The Outer Worlds is the worst recent offender of this. The limited size of each zone made me constantly reminded of the "gaminess" of it by constantly blocking my path with invisible walls. On the flip-side, a single box saying "the journey took x hours" doesn't convey a sense of time either. Pathfinder could tell me a journey took 2 hours or 5 days, and it really made no difference to me: what mattered was how long I had to wait for the piece to move (which, more often than not, felt like a waste of my time, and on longer journeys I would just mess around on my phone).

Just my two cents, but for me this is a case of getting the worst of both, with none of the pros.

addict
addict
Would it be a good solution to have more camera freedom at eye level, and less visibility when zoomed out?

There are advantages to the game park design, but it would be good to keep that design hidden from view, to achieve a somewhat credible world. That would mean no more outlines on the mini map, or no mini map at all, and less ability to get bird's-eye views of the environment. The latter could be achieved by limiting viewpoint height and viewpoint position, and/or by hiding faraway surroundings.

Limiting perspectives that could never be obtained by the playable characters would need to be compensated by more freedom at eye level. For instance, being able to look up.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Flooter
BG3’s map density is good for pacing, like a DM saying “the party walks for a while and gets to the village.” But this utilitarian approach is what gives off theme park vibes.

The maps are built like networks, with points of interest connected by corridors. The player still has to travel but never gets to wonder what would happen if they wandered off the beaten path. They can only ever choose left or right when the minimap reveals a fork in the road.

There are other things which give the maps an air of artificiality. The obvious difference in scale between corridors and encounter areas; the deliberate placement of bridges, gates and jumps to mark new zones; the disconnect between the camp and the world.

Timelessness is the other half of the theme park problem. Since the map design isn’t going to change, Larian can’t get away with a world where not even the sun moves without the player’s imput.

You absolutely nailed it here. I also feel that BG3 is really missing open expanses of city or wilderness to explore in whichever direction one desires, not simply maps with paths through them. The latter give an illusion of choice but actually it’s really quite railroaded.

veteran
veteran
I don't think map itself is necessary bad - it's the story they are telling that isn't compatible with the map they created. If Larian removed the bit were Goblins can't find the grove - all would be fine. Why not have the grove being scared because goblins are at their door steps? Why would minthara couldn't look for a safe way to invade rather then wonder where the grove is? Make the perceived tighteness of the map be part of the story. Tieflings stuck at the grove, with goblin army right at their doorsteps ready to attack. Goblins trying to find their way in to open the games and attack without getting decimated at the gates. Make character aware that a massive ship just crushed outside the place. It's same issues D:OS2 suffered from, with each zones seemingly develop in its own bubble, with little thought put to how it will be all put together. It wouldn't be a problem if each zone existed in its own bubble, like it did in classic RPGs, but it just feels off here. You create continous world and yet not design it to be a continous world.

A
addict
addict
A
as much as i want unlimited freedom on camera control, usual devs always restrict it to the lowest common denominator. no idea why. perhaps their idea is that they do not want the camera be the challenge rather than the game. they should provide an option in settings for unlocking advance camera control i would say.

addict
Online Content
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
You create continous world and yet not design it to be a continous world.
That’s a great point! It reminds me of the large groups of potentialy hostile ennemies which function as seperate encounters who occasionally interact. I keep imagining this scene in the goblin temple:

-Hey, do you hear that?
-You mean the clashing metal and a guy shouting Torment?
-Yeah.
-It’s probably nothing.
-Yeah.

To counteract this, the game has patrols. But to do anything they need to either catch you red handed (which is rare) or telepathically learn that their boss has died. That feels really weird when no one previously made the link between the mounting death toll and the bloody footprints your party leaves behind.

Back to the camera, its limitations make those self-contained corners of the map feel appropriately seperate from the rest. During the side-fight, I’m pulled in by the close, down facing angle. With too much camera freedom, I’d be constantly reminded that these halls are full of actors in costume just waiting their turn to put on a show.

Not that I love it, but the camera angles are carefully chosen to complement the map design.
Originally Posted by Ikke
Would it be a good solution to have more camera freedom at eye level, and less visibility when zoomed out?
That could work! I wonder if the environments are actually designed to be viewed from every angle.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard