Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Since Patch 7 including Hotfix #20 from 22Feb 2022 and before that on this PAtch 7,
my preferred Method of Saving a lot and loading after something tried and failed is impossible.

This works mostly all of the time:
Starting Baldurs Gate 3 and use continue or loading a savegame from game Starting Menu.

This is almost never working anymore:

Saved a game, no matter if Quicksave or Manual save, when in any kind of game environment
(Dialog, Caught in the act of Thieving, died in Battle, or just loading it becaus i can.)
loading a previously saved game crashes Baldurs Gate 3, then bringing up Error Report.

What are your suggestions to do now, reinstall the game completly anew?

If yes, which Files and File Folders need to be backed up, to copy back into Game after reinstalling Baldurs Gate 3.

Other Hints to fix this?
Btw Patch six and before Baldurs Gate 3 never had this problems on my PC.

Last edited by TheHero; 22/02/22 07:20 PM.
B
B
I always go for a clean install when a new patch comes out. This includes uninstalling the game and then also manually removing the two Larian folders (one in "Documents", the other in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local (or LocalLow, don't recall).

Also: Ensure that you have the latest video card drivers installed and do not use mods for the time being. Good luck!

H
stranger
stranger
H
Have same problem, is there any other way except reinstalling the game?

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bomor
I always go for a clean install when a new patch comes out. This includes uninstalling the game and then also manually removing the two Larian folders (one in "Documents", the other in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local (or LocalLow, don't recall).

Also: Ensure that you have the latest video card drivers installed and do not use mods for the time being. Good luck!

I want to hold onto my current progress in Patch 7.
Which Files and Folders do i need to back up and reinsert into freshly installed Game?

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Deinstalled BG3 and backed up Files before to progress further ingame.
Gamefiles are intact.

Problems with crashing when loading from gameenvironment persist even after a clean reinstalling.
Loading Savegame from Menu mostly allways works fine.

So suggesting this will going to be either hardware related (recommended Requirements for Game), or some Software problem with NVidia Driver or just a Bug in BG3.
Getting closer.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
For me, the most reliable way to get it working is to load the autosave where you've just landed on the beach (for me its Autosave 4) and then load your latest save.

This suggests something isn't being loaded into memory correctly on a fresh start of the game. Potentially due to the location of the save, since anything before the grove seems to work, none of my blighted village saves work until I load my beach save.

As an experiment, I fast travelled back to the over grown ruins, saved the game. restarted the game and tried to load the save and it worked. so now every time I load the over grown ruins save before I load any other save.

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Saberem
For me, the most reliable way to get it working is to load the autosave where you've just landed on the beach (for me its Autosave 4) and then load your latest save.

This suggests something isn't being loaded into memory correctly on a fresh start of the game. Potentially due to the location of the save, since anything before the grove seems to work, none of my blighted village saves work until I load my beach save.

As an experiment, I fast travelled back to the over grown ruins, saved the game. restarted the game and tried to load the save and it worked. so now every time I load the over grown ruins save before I load any other save.

Ok in other words:
To workaround a loading crash when loading a savegame you do the following.
You save a game on a location where you allways can load the savegame. Tried and tested it and know it allways works out.
So you then load allways that specific Savegame bevore you load (other actual savegame)into the other environment/location of your current progress Savegame.

Wow, thats some thinking around the corner.
Still to figure out what part of the loading process does make the game crash.
Is it the number of NPCs or is it the number of Polygons/Gameenvironment with a lot of Items etc.
Something is going wrong when loading a lot more instances into memory.
Might be a way to discover the bug.

I have Win 10 Pro
16GB of DDR3
I5-4670k OC@4,1GHz
Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
4 TB Samsung EVO850 SSD

Last edited by TheHero; 25/02/22 10:23 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I have as similar Problem I start a new game then I save my new game restart my PC and when I try to load a save game I see the saved game it looks a kind funny and all the buttons don't work I have to kill BG3
The Version of my save game is 4.1.1.1.1501963

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Update April 8, 2022:

Allright Hotfix#23 came in and still my second load of a savegame is crashing game. Therefore savescumming is not an optioon wink
Hotfix said it would fix the loading problem and stated when loading at low FPS the bugcrash woul occure.

This is what i did myself experienced. While loading a savegame In the last third of the loading bar the FPS goes down to under 10 FPS from capped 120 FPS at my system.
Then when reaching that point, the game crashes.

Today i tried it again with no luck on Hotfix #23 with the Nvidia Driver 511.xx and the latest 512.15
No change.
Still game crashed when loading the savegame the second time.

BUT

Somethin else seems to be the case.
Idont know why, but this time today after experiencig again all those crashes since hotfix #20 i looked up
the
Windows 10 Systemvariables (Systemumgebungsvariablen in German)
..because two years ago i installed a RAMdisk and changed the variables for the TMP and TEMP folders.
I wanted to check up if i changed them back to original state.
They were all fine.
BUT
I saw something totally out of my recalling the Variables there.
It totally jumped into my face. Never seen those Variables before.

OPENSSL_ia32cap :~0x20000000

"Whaaaat!" i thought and checked up big search engine everyone knows and found this:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ash-bug-requires-application-update.html

So i made a note for those variables and then deleted them.

After that i rebooted PC and started BG3.
loaded savegames several times from different locations and the same with HDR and without.
Loading bar when reaching the lowest FPS count was stable loading more and it never crashed game anymore.

So those SHA CRASH BUG should normally fix games like Cyberpunk 2077 or SMITE i read on inet,
but it seems it does give my System a problem with Baldurs Gate 3.

Im not a SMITE gamer though i have Cyberpunk 2077, but never changed anything for this game but installing a shader mod for RTX like Shading.
My RTX 2060 6GB, is not over the top for fully rendering all RTX options in that game.

I wonder who can change Variables like this with a Patch from games?
Is that allowed or can those variables only be changed by users?

Im happy that deleting those Variables solved my problem.
Finally time again for BG3, since Hotfix 20m i missed BG3 for too long.
Want to play my Barbarian again.

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yesterday Game went fine with loading savegames after deleting the System environmental parameter and today same loading problem as before.

Everything i wrote about this "OPENSSL_ia32cap :~0x20000000", is not the solution and very likely has nothing to do with it.

C
stranger
stranger
C
have you found any way to fix this?

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
My cousin is running into the same problem. Myself has not come across this problem. The only difference is I have 32gb of ram on top of the 4 or 8gb of ram in my graphics card. He has 16gb of ram plus 4 or 8gb of ram on his graphics card.

My guess is too much information is being thrown at the ram causing the crash or currupted save file. Or isn't being loaded in correctly.

The problem sounds like both hardware and game software. Not computer software.

Hardware because with how the game software is currently you need more ram to not have an issue.

The actual fix needs to come from larian studio themselves. Cause something in there games coding is loading improperly to the ram. Or overloading the ram. Causing load save crashes, or when you can load in, your gui is invisible, possibly also your character.

This is all just my speculation and not based of any full testing besides having my cousin constantly struggle to get his saves to load so he can play. While myself has never ran into a problem. and we have pretty similar computer set ups besides my new ram upgrade.

I would also like to note when he loads into my game. On his screen his gui is invisible and his character. But on my screen everything is normal and the game works like normal. I can see him activate his skills. But he himself can't do anything.

Hope if any this helps the brainstorming for the fix

C
stranger
stranger
C
Wow this is good information. How do we ping a Larian person to look at this? Your post may contain helpful information Zen

B
stranger
stranger
B
This is still an issue, for me at least. Without mods, and following several clean reinstalls on the different SSDs, using every proposed "fix" that's been suggested so far, my game still slows down hugely while loading any saves after the nautiloid, resulting in only the background and a broken UI to appear, and sometimes crashes before even managing to load that.

The game is currently unplayable, and having seen several posts on this it seems to be unplayable for a significant number of players, so I would have hoped to have seen at least an acknowledgement from Larian that they are aware of the issue so we can at least have some hope that it will be patched out soon. My feeling is that they either aren't aware of it yet, or they don't know how to fix it and are pretending it doesn't exist because it's only affecting a minority of players.

Last edited by Billiam; 09/06/22 08:57 PM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Yes, I am also waiting to hear from them. I keep checking on this post to see what new comes in. Hoping to hear from them on what they are doing in regards to that issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard