Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Basically, what I'm saying is, BG3 simply cuts the tedious out of it. However, it's very much the same. No limits. No consequences.
up up up

veteran
veteran
There may have consequences in IWD : random encounters.
Random encounter = you may need ressources
You may need ressources = ressource management is a core part of the gameplay.

The point remains the same and the lack of lilmitations has never been the issue. Ressource management has always been and limitations are only a solution among other.
Random encounter is another one even if the classic/old random encounter system is not a good solution in 2022.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/05/22 03:33 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Yeah. As some have said, every time I get a random encounter in IWD, I reload. It's faster and less of a pain. Then I go back to the inn even if it is tedious.

I definitely still think they need to do something, but replaying the classic has reminded me of how basically unlimited the old systems were in terms of LR.

veteran
veteran
But you love them in Solasta. You're a strange guy GM grin

Whatever, the lack of limitations has never been a problem to me in the old game and its not in Pathfinder.
It could not be an issue in BG3 even with just a few improvement, i.e unexpected encounters (=/= random encounter)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/05/22 05:23 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

OR ... just to have other options covered aswell ...

You may need ressources = you rest as often as possible, so you have resources and dont need to manage them

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

OR ... just to have other options covered aswell ...

You may need ressources = you rest as often as possible, so you have resources and dont need to manage them

Oh man we're not going to do this again.

In many cRPG (IE games but also Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity and many other) you never really know when you may need your last spellslot to survive because of random encounters when you rest, so you have to manage your ressources, at least a bit.
In some of them you can break the rules (through options or fast save/load) to have the same insipid mechanics as in BG3 if it pleases you.

Stop trolling and/or arguing about things you even don't understand or haven't tried.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/05/22 06:26 PM.

veteran
veteran
But you love them in Solasta. You're a strange guy GM grin

Whatever, the lack of limitations has never been a problem to me in the old game and its not in Pathfinder.
It could not be an issue in BG3 even with just a few improvement, i.e unexpected encounters (=/= random encounter)

Ah yes. You're right. Solasta did random encounters well. BG1 and 2 and Icewind Dale did not. Thanks for the reminder. When playing other games, I start to wonder if I've been hoping for too much with Larian. After all, what I HAVE been asking for has never really been done in a D&D game. Even Solasta didn't fully bullseye the target. It's the closest to a bullseye with their rest system mechanics, but it still isn't spot on.

veteran
veteran
I get to hard fight i use everything i have ...
I save ...

And if i get encounter when i go to rest, i simply reload ... if i have to.

No management included.
And no matter how much you dislike it ... it is how it works look:
every time I get a random encounter in IWD, I reload.

veteran
veteran
I recall the resting in Neverwinter Nights 2 was simple. Press "R" and wait a few seconds, right? Wasn't it something like that?

veteran
veteran
I get to hard fight i use everything i have ...
I save ...

And if i get encounter when i go to rest, i simply reload ... if i have to.

No management included.
And no matter how much you dislike it ... it is how it works look:
every time I get a random encounter in IWD, I reload.

You're exactly repeating what I said : the game allow players to "break" the rules (save-scumming, and pathfinder also allow to simply disable all random encounters).
But the lack of ressources management is not the basic rules of those games.

In BG3 it's the opposite and "breaking the rules" (with " " because you cannot break what doesn't exist) means forcing yourself to manage your resources even if the game doesn't reward you for doing so.
It's hard to believe that you don't understand such a simple thing.

Originally Posted by JandK
I recall the resting in Neverwinter Nights 2 was simple. Press "R" and wait a few seconds, right? Wasn't it something like that?

I don't remember but here's what I can find on the game's wiki.

You can not rest when enemies are nearby, or immediately after being in combat or casting a spell. In certain areas you can not rest at all, and in other areas enemies may interrupt you while resting. In the official campaign it takes 5 seconds to rest, and there are no other restrictions on how often you can do so. The rules of resting may be different in other modules.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/05/22 07:43 PM.

veteran
veteran

You can not rest when enemies are nearby, or immediately after being in combat or casting a spell. In certain areas you can not rest at all, and in other areas enemies may interrupt you while resting. In the official campaign it takes 5 seconds to rest, and there are no other restrictions on how often you can do so. The rules of resting may be different in other modules.

You couldn't rest in combat, but you could after. Like a few seconds after combat. When enemies were near, you could take a few steps back to rest.

There weren't many "no rest" areas at all, as I recall. Very rare. Resting was almost always a freebie in that game.

I don't remember ever being interrupted by an enemy during a rest in that game.

veteran
veteran
save-scumming
I wonder where did you get that ... i said "when i have to" ...

What else, if not reload, is player supposed to do when his party is obliterated? laugh

"It's hard to believe that you don't understand such a simple thing." O_o

and pathfinder also allow to simply disable all random encounters
See this is what i find incredibly funny ... maybe you noticed in some of those countless times i menitoned it ...

Strict rule, with option to turn it off > great.
Loose rules, with option to restrict yourself > bad.

I cant help the feeling that we are arguing here if glass is half filled, or half empty. laugh

"breaking the rules" means forcing yourself to manage your resources even if the game doesn't reward you for doing so.
I admit i dont understand such simple thing ...
You require the game to "reward you for doing something you want to do"? O_o

Also ... lets presume the game will require you to do that ... and you will be to simply turn it off ... where exactly is that "reward" suppose to be? O_o

I mean except the obvious pating your own shoulder that you managed to force your own as the way it is supposed to be played.

veteran
veteran
Restrict ourselves is not a functionnality (option) offered by the devs to eventually get rid of some core rules if it's more convenient to someone. What the hell are you saying...
Ofc you don't understand such simple things with such a reasoning.

"I'm playing BG3 but without using any consummables, thank devs for such an option". LMAO.
That's ridiculous once again, as usual with you.

Originally Posted by JandK

You couldn't rest in combat, but you could after. Like a few seconds after combat. When enemies were near, you could take a few steps back to rest.

There weren't many "no rest" areas at all, as I recall. Very rare. Resting was almost always a freebie in that game.

I don't remember ever being interrupted by an enemy during a rest in that game.

I can't comment on that. TBH I played NWN only once and it was a very long time ago smile
It looks like there were rules, whatever if they were good and interresting or not.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/05/22 08:41 PM.

veteran
veteran
Restrict ourselves is not an option offered by the devs to eventually get rid of some core rules if it suit us better.
Of course it isnt ...
When you turn around one thing, you need to turn around the other aswell. O_o

Rule exist (rule is present now ... default) > you have option to get rid of it (rule is absent now).
Rules dont exist (rule is absent now ... default) > you have option to restrict yourself (rule is present now).

Final effect is the same.

veteran
veteran
No it's not !
I have to manage my ressources or I can eventually die when I rest but I can EVENTUALLY disable the random encounters or save/reload so I don't have to manage my ressources to survive =/= I don't have to manage my ressources but I can eventually manage them because I think it's more interresting !

You're a hopeless case.
Please, stop reacting to my posts because I'm so tired of arguing with you. Just let me talk to others without messing up any discussion.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/05/22 04:49 AM.

veteran
veteran
In option A you have to manage your resources ...
But you can turn it off ...

In option B you have it turn off by default ...
But you can do it anyway ...

The only difference here is that if you dont in first case, you can potentialy die ...
But if you do, what will you do?

My guess is reload ... im not sure why you keep insisting to call that save scuming, even tho its not ... but it seems you are not telling. :-/

veteran
veteran
If the game starts out by restricting resources, then turning off those restrictions makes the game easier by a set amount and is very simple. You go from some restrictions -> no restrictions. No more decisions necessary.

If the game starts out with no restrictions, then you can't simply "turn on" restrictions (unless the developer specifically provides optional restrictions). You're attempting to make the game harder (or more balanced) in this scenario, but you cannot accurately determine what level of restrictions corresponds to what level of difficulty, because you haven't played the game yet. At every step along the game you'll have to - mostly arbitrarily - decide when is a "balanced" time to restrict yourself, which again is near impossible to know without having already played through the game. And this turns into playing against yourself, when you should [I want to] be playing against the game.

veteran
veteran
I see that as the beauty of such situation ...

If the game starts out by restricting resources ... and you can turn it off ... you have two possible settings, default and easy.
Nothing in between is possible, since you cant "turn if off a little" ...
Unless developers also offers option to adjust restrictions, instead of turning them off ... but if they do, you would be in exactly same darkness since you havent played the game yet, and you dont know how much you can make the game easier without ruining it for yourself by making it trivial. smile

If the game starts out with no restrictions ... then you indeed cant "turn them on", that is true, since there is most likely nothing to turn on laugh ... but nothing holds you to restrict yourself the way you feel comfortable ...

It doesnt matter what key you want to use ... "every xy'th combat" ... "only when i have xy spellslots used, or xy% hp missing" ... "after xy hours/minues in game" ... "something entirely different" ... all is perfectly possible, your imagination is your only limit.

And once you feel like you are playing "against yourself", wich is a slight risk indeed for people who will not feel satisfied with "we just go and see how will we feel about it" but demand pre-determined conditions ... you can easily make the game unbearably hard for yourself, but at least you didnt make it unbearably hard for anyone else laugh ...
But once that happen ... you simply adjust your own rule, no matter wich one you pick, no matter how hard you decided ...

Baseline is no restriction at all, that is default, if that dont suits you, then you adjust ... do you want to be more strict to yourself? Feel free to do so ... do you feel like you are too strict to yourself? Feel free to loose your own grip around your own neck. laugh
(Do you feel like the base game is too strict? Sory, that is different topic. :P laugh )

-

I for one would like to rest right there on that beach ...
Even tho many people around here (some even allready expressed their dislike for such action) are against it since "our character still have full HP and all spellslots" (even tho im not sure how) ... good work on roleplay and immersion people. laugh

I say:
My character just wake up kidnapped, has ben inpregnated (inplanted? not sure wich is better) with alien worm thing, went trhrough hell(s!), and (concidering most of my gameplay so far) most likely just killed Hell General ...
If you dont deserve at the very least few minutes to breath after such adventure, im not sure when you do. laugh

Now in scenario A:
Resting is predetermined ... i cant, bcs developers decided that this is not good time, or place, or situation, or star constelation ... i dunno, some shit, it dont really matter why ... result is still the same: I want to rest > i cant > im frustrated.

In scenario B:
Im the one who decide when and what ... i can.
Meaning me > happy.

Now the other way around ...
Played dont want to rest on the beach ... bcs "immersion and roleplay is important for them" ... and they can masquerae it as their character is worried about the tadpole, so they push to their limits ...
(And also the game just started and their resources are full. laugh :P )

Scenario A:
Resting is predetermined ... but imagine that the developer was actualy as me (since if he would not, you would just get impossible rest in situation when you dont want to rest ... wich is fine, but useless as example).
Now you can rest ... right here, right now ... but you dont want to ... what would you do, since the game is clearly telling you that you are supposed to?

Scenario B:
You dont want to > you dont.
Why you not happy?

-

Thats what i do in EA ...
When my companions starts complaining about being exhausted, but i dont feel like i want to rest yet (no matter the reason) ... i dont ...
When my companions dont complain about exhaustion yet, but i feel unprepared for futher adventuring ... i do ...
And i honestly dont care, and really dont want, the game to tell me when (and as the matter of fact not even where) "im suppose" to rest, bcs that will be anoying every single time it dont corespond with my own desire to rest. laugh

veteran
veteran
Neverwinter's rest was simple, I'll grant you that. Dumb and simple.

Click a button and rest right in the street for 10 seconds. Full health and spells and everything. I hated it. It was probably the worst D&D rest mechanics ever. SO absolutely not immersive in any way, shape, or form. No camping. Nothing.

But Neverwinter was sort of the groundbreaking game for MMORPGs. It wasn't really a traditional D&D RPG video game. It really branched away from tabletop a lot. Fun game, mind you, but the rest mechanics were akin to drinking a potion and being healed full up with spells and everything.

My post which sparked all this should speak volumes. BG3 is no different from cRPGs from 20 years ago in terms of resting mechanics. There is absolutely nothing special about resting in BG3. It's pointless and meaningless. Even after 20 years, devs still cannot develop a decent rest system. Short and Long Rest are pointless. In current state, it's nothing more than pressing a button.

As a result, every battle has to be deadly. That is not D&D.

veteran
veteran
The only difference here is that if you dont in first case, you can potentialy die ...
But if you do, what will you do?

My guess is reload ...

Ah yes you'll reload if you die SO its the same as eventually save/load to avoid the random combat SO its the same as not having to manage your ressources at all LMAO.

Your neurons doesnt seem to be well connected.
I'm done with you. I even dont understand why you're not banned yet considering how toxic you are on most thread.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/05/22 06:30 AM.

Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard