Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Flooter #815779 29/05/22 07:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
Hijinks are pranks, shenanigans, tomfoolery, getting into and out of trouble. Those things are associated with the bard.

The tweet also mentions laughter in the scrum, which is probably a reference to Tasha’s Hideous Laughter, and teasing and taunting, which probably points to Vicious Mockery. Those are two iconic spell/cantrip that the bard can cast.
I just remembered this today ...

And i wonder ...
The final part of that tweet "there will be no teases, taunts, or tells this time" ... sound to me pretty monk-like ... dont it?

Man can dream. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
dbarron #815795 30/05/22 08:51 AM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Monk is precisely what I would have guessed it would come first of the three remaining classes, mostly because it's the least dependent on a (possible) reaction revamp... But then this vague tease made things less obvious.

Still, now that I think about it, it's vaguely annoying that aside from a vague promise to "work on improving it" we still have absolutely NO CLUE on where Larian wants to bring their reaction system, exactly, and how they plan to improve things.
Are they still adamant on making it as automated as possible or are they planning to give control back to the player? One can only guess.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
dbarron #815796 30/05/22 09:20 AM
veteran
veteran
I wonder if there is any chance that we would get two classes, or maybe all 3 ... after all, and lets be honest about it, time is getting quite short. :-/

Also agreed ...
It would be quite well to know what they are planning ... and i mean in general. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 30/05/22 09:20 AM.

dbarron #815817 30/05/22 04:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Time isn't really getting that short though. It's still 6 months to the earliest possible release date from the current expectation assessment. It could easily be 9 months away, or they could shift the release date goalposts again.

If I were them, I'd keep those rounds in the chamber for as long as possible. On the one hand, to space out the fresh meat for the EA players, and on the other, if the game releases a little early, there could be one class that no one has touched.

dbarron #815818 30/05/22 04:56 PM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
When it takes 4 months to add a single class and do little-to-no noticeable improvements/changes in other areas, 6 months to a year starts to feel like nothing.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
And presuming they would release 1 class each 3 months ... it would mean that first 4 classes get aproximately 24 months of testing ... while last one will get 3 ...
Not exactly best situation. :-/
But irellevant, presuming they will not include desired changes anyway (Expertise, Scrolls, Spells preparing, etc.). :-/ frown

Personaly i believe that the best approach from their side would be to release all 3 remain classes now ... that would bring lot of life to this kinda sleeping comunity ... and prehaps some content update (new zone) ...
Next patch should be focuseed purely on features ... or maybe add some missing subclasses (and we still miss a lot, especialy for Wizard) ...

That should keep us entertained for aproximately 8 months +/- ...
Third (or Last for EA) patch would be a little harder nut to crack tho. :-/

But so far the most popular patch was 5 (if i remember it corectly) and that was pure mechanical one.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
And presuming they would release 1 class each 3 months ... it would mean that first 4 classes get aproximately 24 months of testing ... while last one will get 3 ...
Not exactly best situation. :-/
That assuming that Larian cares for us to test the classes. What are the unique features of other classes that haven't been already tested with previous classes? Unless Larian plans to introduce new unique homebrews with those classes, then there is really nothing to test. Revamped reaction come to mind, if such revamp is coming, but other then that I can't think of anything.

Wormerine #815849 30/05/22 07:54 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
What are the unique features of other classes that haven't been already tested with previous classes?
What do you mean? O_o

There is many things that Bards, Paladins, and Monks do ...
There is also many things that subclasses that so far was not released to EA have ... just take channel divinity spells for different Clerics.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
What do you mean? O_o

There is many things that Bards, Paladins, and Monks do ...
There is also many things that subclasses that so far was not released to EA have ... just take channel divinity spells for different Clerics.
I mean unique features - like metamagic was unique for sorcerer or they revamped throws for barbarian. Like if they revamp reactions then bard makes sense as a next class, as from what I have heard it relies heavily on reactions.

For example, if they implement palladin's smite using the system similar to one they use for fighter's superiority dice, then it is not a unique feature - Larian already tested it through fighter. Same with channel divinity - it's already implemented. It does different thing for different subclasses but I assume thgre isn't really much to test there - just more variations on offer once 1.0 drops. I am not well versed in 5e, so I can't tell from top of my head if palladin had any unique systems - from my Solasta playthrough I don't remember anything particularly unique, aside from reactions.

Looking at monk I can't see much that I count visualize being added using features we already tested. Partial defence stands out mostly because the game doesn't have "dodge" function.

I am not saying that Larian shouldn't test other classes, am just theorizing that maybe they don't have to, if they build them using the same tools they used for other classes. If there is something you are aware of that is really unique in other classes, please, let me know what it is. I don't remember D&D classes having unique gimmicks the way they do in PoE.

Larian adapts well known and well tested system, so they probably prioritise testing things they change rather then things they keep as they were. Multiattack is at the very top of the list of things I would personally like to take a look at, assuming of course they won't implement system faithful to 5e for release.

dbarron #815855 30/05/22 08:33 PM
old hand
old hand
What they choose to release in semi-functioning states in EA does not reflect what they actually have in their own internal builds.

dbarron #815857 30/05/22 08:34 PM
old hand
old hand
But hell's bells I hope they revamp the reaction system something fierce... along with other things. I am certainly getting happier and happier for each build, but... I just hope we get control of reactions, full action shove and some other nice DnD 5th faithful changes.

Wormerine #815865 30/05/22 09:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
For example, if they implement palladin's smite using the system similar to one they use for fighter's superiority dice, then it is not a unique feature - Larian already tested it through fighter.
I see ...
Well quite honestly i dont know ... im still newbie in 5e myself ... maybe combinations of those separate systems?

That would apply better for spells tho. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 30/05/22 09:07 PM.

dbarron #815886 31/05/22 10:42 AM
addict
addict
Watching <DOS3 : a Baldur's gate bastard child> evolve to what we are getting and left over Larian fans arguing towards its greatness is now just amusing to watch unfold.
Man did I have unrealistic high hopes for this game.

I think this sums up the difference in <vision> perfectly :

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 31/05/22 10:43 AM.
dbarron #815888 31/05/22 12:08 PM
old hand
old hand
The latter image is all flash...all spectacle, like a video game; it will become dated in a hurry.

The former image is far more grounded and will continue to feel timeless.

dbarron #815889 31/05/22 01:05 PM
addict
addict
Wow, those images really do show something important. Sign me up for an adventure!

I like how the warrior's shield features a frothy mug in the center, obviously a root-beer float.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Eagle Pursuit
Time isn't really getting that short though. It's still 6 months to the earliest possible release date from the current expectation assessment. It could easily be 9 months away, or they could shift the release date goalposts again.

If I were them, I'd keep those rounds in the chamber for as long as possible. On the one hand, to space out the fresh meat for the EA players, and on the other, if the game releases a little early, there could be one class that no one has touched.

I will say that if the game comes out in the second half of 2023 that Larian significantly underestimated the scope of the project that they undertook not just once, but multiple times. Either that or they will do it to dodge competition with Starfield, Cyberpunk 2077 expansion, Hogwart's Legacy and some other early 2023 games.

The length of time in Early Access is already starting to feel a bit excessive, but pushing it to nearly three years would be pretty crazy.

That being said I agree with them needing to keep the 'rounds in the chamber' and I think it is a very real possibility the game does come out later in 2023.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Watching <DOS3 : a Baldur's gate bastard child> evolve to what we are getting and left over Larian fans arguing towards its greatness is now just amusing to watch unfold.
Man did I have unrealistic high hopes for this game.

I think this sums up the difference in <vision> perfectly :

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Excuse my ignorance but are these both legit adverts or something?

Etruscan #815896 31/05/22 03:04 PM
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Etruscan

No. The top image isn't even from BG2. IIRC it's actually the original cover of the 2nd Icewind Dale novel, Streams of Silver.
[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

You can clearly see Bruenor, Drizzt, Wulfgar, and Regis here in the art/book cover and not anyone from BG2.

I'm not sure where the bottom image is from, but from what I can tell it doesn't look like official promotional art for BG3 (it's not using any of the actual promotional renders).

Etruscan #815897 31/05/22 03:26 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Nah ...

Its just picture coppied from BG-3 memes topic ...
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=814936#Post814936

Anyway i find it quite funny ...
Someone decided that people who are either wearing no armor at all, or are wearing armor (helmets) that would actualy endanger their own lives much more than help ... are "true adventurers" ...
While people who are actualy (able to) do some adventuring, since they are in middle of the fight with real enemies instead of roaring to screen edge ... are cosplayers. laugh

That irony is just too sweet to leave it unappreciated. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 31/05/22 03:30 PM.

dbarron #815903 31/05/22 05:25 PM
addict
addict
Oh there are lots of helmet types which were actually used in warfare. The Greeks had many kinds, such as the Thracian and Beoetian types, each of which had pointed or extended tops. The simple and practical Pilos helmets often had wings or horns added to them. Similar things are found on Samurai and Persian and Indian helmets. Constantine's "Cornuti" soldiers appear to have had horned helmets. Although an added feature like a horn, plume, or wing may not have any direct effect in terms of providing defense, these things were very useful for maintaining command, and for knowing who-was-who in the chaos of battle.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard