Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Flooter #816089 03/06/22 02:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Question tho:
I wonder ... am i the only one who have this odd feeling like every single week (after that Very AFK tease) Larian posts some Tweet ... that isnt related to next PFH, but instead is about is like slap on our face?
Sometimes i feel like im overreacting a lot ... but then again, frustration is cumulating ... dunno, thoughts? laugh
Seems like a good time to mention that the steam logs show BG3 being updated with patch 8 files starting a few days ago.

This was pointed out 4 days ago on the Enzevil youtube channel. I don’t know how to link to these things with a phone, but the information is available on the community tab of Enzevil’s channel. There’s also a link to the relevant steam page. It shows files being updated as recently as fourteen hours ago.

My conservative guess is: PFH announcement next week and PFH the week after that, though I’m hoping patch 8 drops next week.

Sorry to say, but data on steamdb appeared monthes before release for previous patches.
But with the Tweet I doubt we'll have to wait monthes. Who knows...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/06/22 02:13 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Maximuuus #816091 03/06/22 02:29 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Sorry to say, but data on steamdb appeared monthes before release for previous patches.
But with the Tweet I doubt we'll have to wait monthes. Who knows...
Crud.

The timeframe seems about right, though, doesn’t it? P7 dropped on feb. 7, P6 on oct. 14, P5 on jul. 15. Earlier patches were closer together, but the recent cadence seems to be around three to four months.

Maybe it’s all just wishful thinking. In my defence, wishful thinking is amazing! It turns reality into dreams.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
dbarron #816097 03/06/22 03:49 PM
S
S
Don't they usually do an announcement about branching to give people time to prepare for the new patch? At least a week or so before the PFH.

dbarron #816101 03/06/22 04:37 PM
A
addict
addict
A
when is the next PFH?

Archaven #816106 03/06/22 05:00 PM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
when is the next PFH?
It wasn't announced yet.
many are basically assuming it will be by the second half of June since one of the devs started to tease its preparation just a week ago.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
dbarron #816129 03/06/22 11:26 PM
S
S
New interview with Swen. Nothing major but he talks about Shadowheart’s artifact and the challenge of having choices in the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
New interview with Swen. Nothing major but he talks about Shadowheart’s artifact and the challenge of having choices in the game.
Is that meant to put the game in a positive light? Commitment is admirable, but it sounds to me like they are putting a lot of resourced to make up for a bad decision, rather then making impressive reactivity. Many games gate their progress unless specific requirements are meant - if PC needs to get the box, then so be it, there is no need to overthink/overproduce it. Giving a story critical item to a companion, does sound like a very shortsighted idea - single character runs (which Larian itself supported in D:OS2) come to mind as an immediate conflict.

Edit: Don’t want to unnecessary criticise Sven and Co. - some of my favourite developers made really bad calls in a hindsight. “To err is human” and all. Just expressing my confusion to see that content before release - the content of the video gives me GDC post-mortem vibe of “we will tell you of bad, expensive mistakes we made, so you can learn from it”, but the vibe seems… celebratory? Yay for us for creating a problem and sinking resources into it. frown

Last edited by Wormerine; 04/06/22 05:14 AM.
dbarron #816135 04/06/22 02:03 AM
veteran
veteran
"fucking amateur" came to mind.

Mistake number one: hiring someone from the JJ Abrams school of plotting.

dbarron #816136 04/06/22 04:52 AM
G
addict
addict
G
Patch 8 - New class? More subclasses? Karlach able to join the party and be a full companion? More poorly-designed items? Shove made to a full action?

veteran
veteran
Its odd to hear them both talking about how the team have to think about any possible choice we can make ...
Compared to gameplay, where we are on the contrary loosing choices as the game progress rather then gaining another. O_o

Basic reactions are:
- Kind acceptance
- Kind denial
- Mocking
- Avoiding the answer
- Rude denial
- and roll intiative

I believe every dialogue should provide "at least" those ... but it dont. frown

Here is "short" list of choices im missing. laugh
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741085#Post741085

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
dbarron #816140 04/06/22 07:54 AM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
On one hand you have to appreciate the dedication to the craft.
On the other one, I found myself wondering "What if you just made very clear that the box was important and you were supposed to keep it, and then reserve yourselves the right to FUCK THE PLAYERS hard if they simply didn't listed to the advice?"

Why is a "fail state" for things (and especially one purposefully caused by the players ignoring any advice, not related to a random chance) so much of a tabu in modern design?

Last edited by Tuco; 04/06/22 07:55 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
dbarron #816144 04/06/22 10:26 AM
A
addict
addict
A
it seems to me they are emphasizing that the box caused alot of unnecessary issues that may have potentially disrupted the development of the game. not sure if people playing bg3 really is for the permutations. it's great to have branching choices but i rather like a simple campaign as long as it's fun and the focus should be heavily towards combat. i played solasta and greatly enjoyed it. i don't care much about the characters or the stories. i like the combat, the classes and the builds.

dbarron #816145 04/06/22 12:16 PM
veteran
veteran
All I hear is, "We bit off more than we could chew."

That said, I get it. I totally understand and actually have been expecting something like this for some time. With every conversation having to be a cutscene dialogue even with the most minute characters, ANY story branching is going to be costly and difficult.

I'm just hoping the game doesn't suck in the end as a result. It starts strong, but I'm afraid it'll finish poorly.

And all I also hear is, "All your suggestions, players, are pretty much going to be ignored forever. We've got bigger fish to fry. At this point, take it or leave it."

Wormerine #816147 04/06/22 01:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
Is that meant to put the game in a positive light? Commitment is admirable, but it sounds to me like they are putting a lot of resourced to make up for a bad decision, rather then making impressive reactivity. Many games gate their progress unless specific requirements are meant - if PC needs to get the box, then so be it, there is no need to overthink/overproduce it. Giving a story critical item to a companion, does sound like a very shortsighted idea - single character runs (which Larian itself supported in D:OS2) come to mind as an immediate conflict.

Edit: Don’t want to unnecessary criticise Sven and Co. - some of my favourite developers made really bad calls in a hindsight. “To err is human” and all. Just expressing my confusion to see that content before release - the content of the video gives me GDC post-mortem vibe of “we will tell you of bad, expensive mistakes we made, so you can learn from it”, but the vibe seems… celebratory? Yay for us for creating a problem and sinking resources into it. frown
This was my reaction too. So much resources spent on a screw-up? Why? Why not just remove the box from SH, place it in a very prominent place, and give players a strong "vibe" that they need to take the box. I don't think there is a DM alive anywhere who would go to this length to give players thousands of permutations for an event. They would just tell the player: "You need to take this f___ing box!!"

Imagine all the other things about this game that all those person-hours of work could have been applied to?!

GM4Him #816148 04/06/22 01:39 PM
addict
addict
It’s disconcerting to discover the cost of such a small decision. The interview shows just how ambitious it is to both cover every permutation and animate every scene.

My takeaway is that the likelyhood of any change made to EA is inversely proportional to the permutations it requires adding. This makes me hopeful for the removal of bonus action shove/hide, but worried about the addition of any kind of time tracking system.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
dbarron #816149 04/06/22 01:40 PM
S
S
Seems like the issue is less that we need the box and more that it is tied to Shadowheart’s story. So you really need to interact with her in some way to gain access to the box. You’d think they could’ve done a scripted encounter like the first time we meet Laezel to solve for that.

dbarron #816151 04/06/22 01:53 PM
veteran
veteran
If you're tying yourselves into knots because the pc is going off-script, you shouldn't be throwing it back at them repeatedly and in more and more obtuse ways. You should just write what happens when Arthur doesn't extract Excalibur or Luke doesn't shut off the targeting computer.

If the box is important, then write what happens when the bad guys get it, we'll be meeting up with them by the end of the act anyway. And punish us for being thick too.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Hey a new update everyone!
For DoS2, its on ipad.
Now we know were Larian priorities lie lol. Mobile ftw.
Now thats done, we might soon get an update for BG3? Available now on smartphone maybe?!?!

Man Larian better bring out their big guns soon. I really hope what we are playing right now is a BETA version of the game they finished <base> designing 1 year ago.
But looking at the industry as a whole, this is HIGHLY unlikely and as always we will get a buggy, unfinished , made in progress release.
I have a funny feeling the DOS1/2 Larian and current Larian , things are quite different.
I mean who can blame them? You get married, have kids, need a stable income to retirement...that first passion fades out like after 10 years of sex with your same loved one.
What happends NEXT is a studio buyout. Id say probably around 2024/2025 for Larian.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Lots of assumptions there...

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 04/06/22 02:30 PM.
dbarron #816154 04/06/22 03:51 PM
veteran
veteran
Yeah. I'm just saying. My expectations for this game just went WAY down.

At this point, forget all the suggestions we've made. I'll take what I can get. Finish the game and be done with it.

If the BOX was that much trouble...

dbarron #816155 04/06/22 04:04 PM
veteran
veteran
The iPad port isn't done by Larian. googling it comes up with Elverils Studio

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard