Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Tying dialogues to Short Rest is mechanicaly impossible ... i thought we are allready beyond that, since it was repeated at least dozen times. O_o
No. This is nowhere near mechanically impossible and repetition wont make that claim any more true. There are many implementations that would enable this: short rests taking place at base camp, dialogues during short rests taking place at base camp, dialogues during short rests happening in the main world, dialogues during short rests happening in their own short rest pocket dimension, etc. Each solution would require some amount of work from Larian, but work does not equate to impossibility.

Also, the goal is to *untie* dialogues from anything. You should be able to talk to your companions nearly everywhere, without having to commit to take a long or a short rest.

mrfuji3 #816683 12/06/22 09:57 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Tying dialogues to Short Rest is mechanicaly impossible ... i thought we are allready beyond that, since it was repeated at least dozen times. O_o
No. This is nowhere near mechanically impossible and repetition wont make that claim any more true. There are many implementations that would enable this: short rests taking place at base camp, dialogues during short rests taking place at base camp, dialogues during short rests happening in the main world, dialogues during short rests happening in their own short rest pocket dimension, etc. Each solution would require some amount of work from Larian, but work does not equate to impossibility.

Also, the goal is to *untie* dialogues from anything. You should be able to talk to your companions nearly everywhere, without having to commit to take a long or a short rest.

Shoot. Untying dialogue from all rests would be most ideal, but that is only true for dialogues that make sense. I mean, SH saying, "I'm not sure this is a good idea," only makes sense when you rest at the very beginning when you believe you're going to turn into a mind flayer minion in hours after infection. Gale's Mirror Image dialogue also only really makes sense after hours of adventure have gone by.

Some, however, don't need to be tied to any rest.

Anyway, at least tying those rest dialogues to both long and short would ensure players experience them as opposed to just LR. Gale's Mirror Image dialogue doesn't really make sense after you meet Nettie, so having dialogue triggered by all rests would more likely trigger this before then - and the Go To Hell one too.

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/06/22 09:59 PM.
GM4Him #816684 12/06/22 10:28 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Oh. Was I trying to convince you?
By your own words ... yes, you were.

Didn't know you were Larian.
Should i mention that Larian is not "a person" ? laugh
Or will we just accept the fact that person dont need to work for one and only one company in the world to use their brain? :-/

Is it? Did you actually prove it's impossible? Do you really know? I wasn't aware you were Larian.
Yes ...

Depends ... i explained it, that should surfice ... how exactly do you imagine proof of impossibility? Since to me it sounds like an oxymoron. O_o

Yes i do ... and you would too, if you would actualy read at least once what i say to you instead of flexing on me for "not being Larian" ... seriously who are you trying to impress? -_-

2 SRs mean you'll SR less and LR more.
And infinite SR restricted by additional resource mean what?

I sudently forgot that i can easily LR litteraly any time or place i want and get all effect os SR and some other aswell? O_o

By controlling it with HD, you can SR more than 2 times per day with various party members. Has Gale used all his HD? Switch him out and bring in Wyll. Adventure continues. Same day. Adventure day extended.
You get exactly the same result by simply adding another SR ...

And still, LR would be more proffitable for you ... why would you switch Gale out for Wyll, since to do that you must still go to the camp, talk to Gale, ask him to wait for you, talk to Wyll, ask him to join you, leave camp ...
Isnt like ten times easier to simply click on that stupid fire and rest, since you are allready there? laugh

---

This is nowhere near mechanically impossible
The sentence was shortened ...
Right now you judge an article based on the title. :-/

Lets see:
short rests taking place at base camp
people are allready complaining about "coveniently teleporting to/from camp in order to rest" ... cant imagine they would be okey with teleporting thrice as much

dialogues during short rests taking place at base camp
your problem here is light, if you watch those cinematic conversations closely, you can find out they are lighted differently than regular world ... that means Larian would need to create every conversation at least twice (once for Night, and once for Day)
I mean ... do you remember when they showed us minicamps for the first time? Swen literaly told us that they had to rework every single conversation in order to make them work ... so every conversation, multiplied by every potential camp, multiplied by two for different day/night light.

dialogues during short rests happening in the main world
clipping problem ... you surely noticed that characters in our dialogues are moving, using gestures and sometimes are even casting ... if such things are not done on *exact* places, they can easily end up in the middle of the wall.

dialogues during short rests happening in their own short rest pocket dimension
this would actualy be mechanicaly possible ... but same problem as with first case

Each solution would require some amount of work from Larian, but work does not equate to impossibility.
It dont ... but what would be the point to repeat it whole for person who simply say "i no longer care" when you do ...
Just to starts exactly the same false arguments in other topic few days later?

Thats why i just repeat "not possible" since that reflects amount of energy im willing to invest to this topic, until i see at least some spark of will to actualy read responces.

Your goal maybe ...
I like those cinematic conversations and i would find it a shame to loose them ...
Even tho "in general" i agree to some extend ...

First step in my opinion would be to *untie* dialogues in camp from each other ... call me old fashioned, but i see no reason why our camp have limit to only one drama per night ... on the contrary, it would work much better if we would be able to trigger several conversations at once ...
So my Tav would be able to channel Weave with Gale the same night, as she argues with Wyll that she killed the goblins from windmyll without him, as she is visited by Raphael, and as she is much later almost bitten by Astarion.
Why not? laugh Isnt that much better than trigger last one, and everything else will be erased? :-/

As for the conversations out of the camp ...
Some small chitchat on the road? Why not.
I would certainly welcome some kind of "I would like to talk with you at the camp, when you have time".
I mean ... kinda any dialogue can happen out of camp, but to make it look good, you would need your character to well, prefferably dont move at all. :-/
But dialogues like Astarion watching stars, Gale watching his own image, or teach you to channel a weave, ... i admit i dont remember much more, it has ben some time since i played it last time and now i wait for patch. :-/
Anyway scenes like theese are ment for camp.
And from mechanical perspective, they have to be done in camp ... bcs characters are moving ... so their space litteraly HAVE TO be prepared for that.

---

Some, however, don't need to be tied to any rest.
I cant think about even single one ...
How about some example?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 12/06/22 10:29 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him #816686 12/06/22 11:33 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Look. Here's the difference between 2 SRs per day that heal half health and Hit Dice SR implementation.

2 SRs per day. MC, Lae, Wyll and SH as party. SH gets badly hurt and uses half spell slots. Lae is also badly hurt. MC and Wyll, not so bad. Only maybe 5 HP each lost. Wyll used all spell slots. Use SR. Lae and SH heal half health. Use potions to heal the rest. MC and Wyll are now full. Wyll gets spell slots back.

Another battle. Everyone is really hurt. Half health gone for everyone. SR. Full health all. SH no spells left. Same with Wyll, but Wyll gets his back.

Another battle. Wyll really hurt. SH really hurt. Lae really hurt. MC okay. No more SRs left. Well. Guess I'll end day. What choice do I have?

Now, HD instead, but same basic scenario. First SR. SH uses 2 HD and heals a total of 1d8+Con bonus per HD used. She heals half health. Lae gets 1d10+Con. She heals roughly half health, also using 2HD. MC uses 0 HD. Why bother? Same with Wyll. Everything else is the same.

Second SR. Everyone uses 2 HD. SH is out. Lae is out. MC and Wyll still have 2HD. Everything else is the same.

After the 3rd battle, player decides that MC is okay. Uses 1 HD and can continue. Wyll uses 2 HD and can continue. Lae is out of HD, but she restores Second Wind. After SR, she can use Second Wind and heal. Player uses 3 SRs in a row to heal Lae up more using Second Wind. Lae can continue, which is a benefit of being a Fighter. Player switches out SH for Astarion. Now the player can continue the adventure. Same day.

Later. Another fight. 2 SR are used. Player switches Wyll out for Gale. Adventure continues same day.

This is the choice players now have, and the adventure can continue longer each day.

Now, add companion dialogues to a few of these SRs, because I don't think Ragnarok knows what they're talking about, and they need to untie a lot of dialogue from long rest anyway because it's a bad game design, and viola. Rest mechanics are more intelligent and strategic and provide a better player experience.

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/06/22 11:36 PM.
GM4Him #816687 13/06/22 02:38 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
@Rag

I was not trying to convince you. I was explaining. There's a difference.

Yeeeess. I know Larian is not one person. What does that have to do with anything. Are you actually saying you work for Larian and have inside info? You KNOW they can't tie dialogues to short rests too? Or, are you just insulting me again and saying I'm stupid and have no brain?

But you're not hostile. Noooo.

As for impress... What makes you think I care to impress anyone. I've told you time and again what my motive is. I have ALWAYS - since Day 1 when I first posted - only ever wanted to be apart of the magic of helping to create a good game. This was my first EA, and it inspired me to be apart of Solasta's EA. Then people were absolute butt sucks on Steam so I came here only to be treated like dirt here too. It's been so fun. I think I shall never do it again.

But still, I post. Partially because there is still a small hope they'll listen and partially because I'm bored. CERTAINLY not to impress.

As for the rest, I don't have time to respond. Why? Because you picked apart everything I said, AGAIN, all the while insulting me. So, I won't waste anymore time. Why should I? You'll just pick that apart too - line by freaking line.

Last edited by GM4Him; 13/06/22 02:43 AM.
GM4Him #816688 13/06/22 02:43 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
But what for? At this point, after two rests, you might as well use LR.
Such an extending the day is completely pointless.
For now, you should be able to play 1-2 fights without any problems and then rest. This is how the game is designed (at least at this difficulty level).
When the game comes out it will probably be 1 LR per fight on the highest difficulty or 3-4 on normal.
I bet on the story that you will be able to complete the first act without a single rest.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 13/06/22 02:45 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
But what for? At this point, after two rests, you might as well use LR.
Such an extending the day is completely pointless.
For now, you should be able to play 1-2 fights without any problems and then rest. This is how the game is designed (at least at this difficulty level).
When the game comes out it will probably be 1 LR per fight on the highest difficulty or 3-4 on normal.
I bet on the story that you will be able to complete the first act without a single rest.

But for what? You know. People sometimes complain about my lengthy posts, but then I get responses like this and wind up repeating the same exact thing in even greater lengths to try to explain why to someone like you - AGAIN.

Like with Rags, I'm done. You're not the ones I'm looking to convince.

Larian, PLEASE. I've listed all the reasons why and for what like a thousand times. Fine. Rhobar and robertthebard and Ragnarok and Icelyn don't get it. They don't want you to change it. I do. Want my reasons? Please go back and read them. Trust me. It's all been said. It would work. It would work well. Just please try it for the sake of many of us who want something better than what is currently implemented.

1-2 fights per day is not acceptable when you have that nasty, creepy, MIND FLAYER tadpole in your head. Especially on Day 1 when anyone who knows anything about mind flayers would think they only have literal hours to live, forcing players to only SR twice a day is not acceptable. Forcing players to use a quick heal button press even when only half the party needs it is also so much less valuable than using the hit dice system.

Please Larian! For the love of all that is good. Save us true adventurers from being forced to long rest so much while we have MONSTERS in our skulls.

GM4Him #816694 13/06/22 06:35 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
So what if a tadpole? It is a computer game and they have their rights.
You write as if it were some unusual rare problem, not something that exists in virtually every game and is obvious to virtually every player. It has always been this way, and if it is otherwise, there are individual exceptions. If the game tells you that the big bad guy is about to destroy the world and you need to hurry up. Then you might as well go to the field to collect cabbage for the farmer, the bad guy will wait.
The lapse of time and rush in the games has always been and will be contractual.
It was literally the same with rest. In how many crpg games does this make any real difference?
In BG1 and BG2, there were no consequences of frequent rest for the main quests. In side quests, they hardly existed. It was the same with IWD or NWN.
In newer titles, the only game that really had any limitations is Kingsmaker, but here again it turned out to be a mistake and in such WOTR the limitations practically do not exist.

Do you want time to matter? Your choice, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you.
If you don't want discussion, nobody forces you to.

GM4Him #816699 13/06/22 07:11 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure more SR/day would really makes them more meaningfull compared to LR. As Rhobar said, it would just extend the day with a few more free heal which as is doesn't look appealing to me.
That said there's no point to limit short rest to 2 /day in my opinion and Rhobar had also given a good solution we've already talked about for camp events : a queue, and each event trigger one LR after the other.

Hit dices would give players a lot of control on their days. If we could SR as long as we have hit dices, players could just CHOOSE and manage their hit dices according to their preferences.
This is just a perfect solution.

- Icelyn could still rest after every combat to burn his ennemies with all his spellslots at every combats.
- Ragna could still use half his hit dices (more or less what we have now) before going further.
- Rhobar could use most of his Hit Dices to be fully healed after one short rest before going further.
- And I could really try to manage my hit dices as much as my spellslots to long rest when I feel that I don't have any other solution left.

With a "auto heal" convenient button it would at worst be only one more click than now with a full control possible for everyone.

But I've probably already given my arguments it in this 12-page thread that nobody at Larian reads anymore.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 13/06/22 07:32 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GM4Him #816700 13/06/22 07:19 AM
veteran
veteran
I think using hit die for short rests is the better way to go. Setting aside the time issue, it just gives players way more control. If you want to heal up partof your party but one character isn't hurt badly, you can just not use their hit dice. It's also, as GM has said, important for classes that recover resources with short rests. Otherwise that takes a way a lot of what makes them useful.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
So what if a tadpole? It is a computer game and they have their rights.
You write as if it were some unusual rare problem, not something that exists in virtually every game and is obvious to virtually every player. It has always been this way, and if it is otherwise, there are individual exceptions. If the game tells you that the big bad guy is about to destroy the world and you need to hurry up. Then you might as well go to the field to collect cabbage for the farmer, the bad guy will wait.
The lapse of time and rush in the games has always been and will be contractual.
It was literally the same with rest. In how many crpg games does this make any real difference?
In BG1 and BG2, there were no consequences of frequent rest for the main quests. In side quests, they hardly existed. It was the same with IWD or NWN.
In newer titles, the only game that really had any limitations is Kingsmaker, but here again it turned out to be a mistake and in such WOTR the limitations practically do not exist.

Do you want time to matter? Your choice, but that doesn't mean people will agree with you.
If you don't want discussion, nobody forces you to.

I don't mind discussions. I don't like arguments with people constantly arguing over and over trying to convince one another endlessly over the same exact stuff as if I convinced you it would somehow change the game.

Now, to your point above. Yes. Many MANY games are like this. Enemies are invading but you go out and pull weeds. A moon is crashing into the world, but you go chase chickens.

And, do you know what? I thought that was dumb in those games too.

But what I don't like in BG3 is that from the moment I start to play it, I'm immersed like I always wanted to be in an RPG - which is YAY Larian. Finally! Someone has created a really awesome, immersive game - WAIT! No. Sorry. While I was ROLEPLAYING as a person with a monster tadpole in my head, really suspending the realities of RL and living in the BG3 world, they decided to suspend the reality of BG3 and throw me back into "ah. This is just a video game after all" reality by making it so that you have to long rest frequently because you have no other options if you want to continue - even though a long rest makes no sense from a story perspective in the early game.

I'm all freaking out. Gotta not turn into a mind flayer. Gotta find a healer. 3 intellect devourers. Nearly kill me and SH because 2 level 1 characters against even 1 Devourer is insane. Even 3 nerfed ones is pretty hard if you don't know what's coming or how to best kill them. My wife played for the first time and ran right up to them because she was a fighter who sucks at ranged. She was taken down in one round.

So to heck with the fact that after only a few hours you essentially die as a person when infected by a mind flayer. I have few potions at that point and I almost died and SH used all her spell slots. Guess I'll LR because I will never make it otherwise. And so, total immersion killed, right at the beginning.

That's why it bugs me. Bad encounter design and resting mechanics kill immersion. You may be content with video game shinanigans, but for once I'd REALLY like to see a game developer create a real, immersive, video game RPG where you can create your character and NOT have to reload or rest A LOT. I'd like someone to build good encounters and make healing and restoration of abilities well.

And, just for the record, I have also said a number of times that I don't like NWN resting at all, but I'd rather have that than what we have currently in BG3. Just let me take a knee and move on. That's at least more immersive than me waking up, jogging 2 minutes, fighting a group of goblins, and having my companions say, "Let's call it a day."

And also for the record, at least the old games tried to limit resting via random encounters and the fact that you had to manually walk back to a safe location. It made you want to try to keep going until you completed an area because you didn't want to have to boring;y go back to the nearest town. It was WAY more immersive than BG3.

Ah. But here I am again rehashing the same stuff I said 10000000 times.

And Max. I think we're saying the same thing mostly. I don't want just more quick heal SRs. I want Hit Dice like Solasta. Easy to use, but I'm in control of healing. If I need to use my HD after 4 SRs to heal Lae, but she didn't need them during any of the previous SRs, I can save her HD for when she needs it. With this current system, Lae is stuck healing with everyone else only twice per day without any choice. Too bad you didn't need it. It's wasted, Lae. Sorry.

As for dialogues, again, think of the dialogues. Which ones make sense only at camp, only at night vs. during the day? Some only make sense at camp during an LR, like Raphael or the Dream Lover. Some make no sense after awhile, like Shadowheart's "I don't think it's a good idea" speech. It only makes sense if you rest right away. Same with Gale's Mirror Image dialogue because he discusses with you that you haven't started to turn yet even though the appropriate time has passed.

Once you've reached Nettie, both dialogues seem stupid and out of place. If you reach Nettie without LRing once, those dialogues shouldn't trigger. So, what could make it more likely that you would still trigger them, and it still makes sense? Tie them to short rest especially if you make short rest a much more promoted mechanic. If you SR more than twice per day, especially in the beginning when you think time is of the essence, you'll more likely see all of those dialogues.

Last edited by GM4Him; 13/06/22 08:12 AM.
GM4Him #816707 13/06/22 08:22 AM
veteran
veteran
If Mrfuji is right when he said that it's not impossible to tie dialogs to short rests, I agree with Ragna that it's VERY complicated (he also wrote "impossible" but whatever).

Larian handcraft all dialogs. You can see it in exemple when there is a yellow ! uppon Wyll's head in a mini camp.
When you talk to him, Wyll is not exactly at the same position he was before and the light is a bit different. This mean than one artist at Larian had created this scene entirely.
Is that a good way of doing things ? I absolutely don't think so, but that's how it works and it means that it would be very complicated to tie companions dialogs to "anywhere in the world".

But there's a very limited number of dialogs that triggered as soon as you enter the camp. All others are triggered when you click the NPCs with the yellow !
It shouldnt be too complicated to allow 1 "auto dialog" from the "auto dialog queue" per long rest + 1 "! dialog" per character per long rest if those dialogs are unlocked.

The camp would feel more alive, and the game wouldn't "force" you anymore to long rest very often not to miss content.

On top of that with 1 or 2 "dialogues queue" they could also probably untie dialogs from mini camps, which is important for my "how to improve the resting system" suggestion wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 13/06/22 08:33 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
@mrfuji3
See what i was talking about?
There was no point in investing more energy into this ...

---

Here's the difference between 2 SRs per day that heal half health and Hit Dice SR implementation.
Great ... except nobody asked ...

The questions were:
1) What would be difference between "more than 2" Short Rests ... and Hit Dices ...
2) How would Hit Dices encourage people to Short Rest, rather than Long ...

And since you are not willing to answer, let me make it easier for you:
1) None
2) Not at all

Guess I'll end day. What choice do I have?
Well ... potions, scrolls, consumables, other characters that are in camp and still have all slots aviable
(yup that means Gale, since Wizards can learn Cleric spells and heal your party ... i know you dislike it and i do aswell, but you asked for options and no matter how unpopular, this IS an option)
... or if you wish to be ESPECIALY gamey, you can jump with each companion (separately) out of cliff and heal them through talkative Skelleton. laugh

Quite honestly i cant really grip the idea of such scenario tho ...
I thought immersion is important for you ... twice per day your party gets almost killed, or to use your own words they are "badly hurt" ... and yet you demand to keep going? O_o
Where did that immersion go?

This is the choice players now have, and the adventure can continue longer each day.
Yes, they have more Short Rests ...
Meaning ... just as i said ... giving players more short rests would have exactly the same result.

1-2 fights per day is not acceptable when you have that nasty, creepy, MIND FLAYER tadpole in your head. Especially on Day 1 when anyone who knows anything about mind flayers would think they only have literal hours to live
I could once again ask where is your precious immersion ...
But there is something even funnier:

Acording to this ... or this ... even tho second source give us a more vague description, wich would provide us a little more time. smile
Anyway ... acording to those sources, our character would be "beyond any help" aproximately by the time they get out of Avernus. laugh
Maaaaybe around that time we arive to the Grove ...

Nevertheless even if we ignore length of both those travels ... it doesnt really matter ...
Bcs first Short Rest (wich by the rules takes "at least an hour") and we would allready be "beyond redemption" ...

So, to use GM4Him's own words:
"When anyone who knows anything about mind flayers would" immediately recognize that something is certainly off, and normal rules dont apply to our case. smile

(Its funny bcs the person who would panic and search for the help no matter what would actualy need to be person who DONT know anything about Mind Flayers. laugh )

forcing players to only SR twice a day is not acceptable.
Agreed ...
Thank Gods, Larian dont do that. :3

---

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Rhobar had also given a good solution we've already talked about for camp events : a queue, and each event trigger one LR after the other.
I still dont see why cant we have events with multiple companions in single night ...

But i guess even this would be better compared to what we have now. frown

Hit dices would give players a lot of control on their days. If we could SR as long as we have hit dices, players could just CHOOSE and manage their hit dices according to their preferences.
This is just a perfect solution.
When you put it that way, it certainly sounds more appealing. laugh

But still ...
Im just not quite sure if that is a good idea ...

Imagine party ... Battle Master, Warlock, Rogue and Moon Druid ...
Everyone gets resources (except Druid he gets only Wild Shapes ... on the other hand thats often all he need) replenished via Short rest ...
And they will use exactly single Hit Dice after every combat (for first one Fighter uses one, after next battle Warlock uses one, after another Rogue uses one, after another Druid uses one, etc. ) ... so their resources are back, since they just rested ... the rest they heal via potions and scrolls ...

And they would end up with i dunno how much Short Rests per day to be honest (since i honestly dont know how much you have and i dont want to search for it now) ... but right now allready double the count we have now. O_o

Now remember that Long Rest is by the rules "at least" 8 Hours of resting ...
And Short Rest is by the same rules "at least" an Hour ...
If each of them would have at least 4 hit dices to spend and they would spend it one-by-one ... they would spend 24 hours resting. laugh laugh laugh

So im sory but i still concider giving us 3 or 4 Short Rests to be better option. :-/
Its easier, its working just as good, and it dont bare a risk of breaking the rules once again.

Quite honestly even that older idea with unlimited Short Rests that would consume food seemed better ...

---

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
If you want to heal up partof your party but one character isn't hurt badly, you can just not use their hit dice.
That is true ... but why do you mind?
Yes, your characters who were not hurt are now just as healthy as they were ... but ... i just have to ask: So what? laugh

I mean i could understand you would mind if you would need to spend some kind of resources to heal person with full HP ... but you dont. O_o

It's also, as GM has said, important for classes that recover resources with short rests. Otherwise that takes a way a lot of what makes them useful.
This part is sadly not true ...
Since what "takes away a lot of what makes them useful" is the fact that Long Rest have no restrictions ...
And it would still have no restrictions no matter if we will consume our food for Short Resting, use our Hit Dices for Short Resting, simply click on covenient button that will have 2/3/4/5/1.000.000 lights on it representing amount of our remaining Short Rests ...

All that it change is that people who dont "want" to Long Rest will have another alternative to heal their group except for potions, scrolls, etc.
Nothing more.

---

by making it so that you have to long rest frequently because you have no other options if you want to continue
Well this is just straight lie. :-/

3 intellect devourers. Nearly kill me and SH because 2 level 1 characters against even 1 Devourer is insane. Even 3 nerfed ones is pretty hard if you don't know what's coming or how to best kill them. My wife played for the first time and ran right up to them because she was a fighter who sucks at ranged. She was taken down in one round.
Maybe she should have listen to Shadowheart who were yelling at her "better keep your distance, single strike could be lethal" ... hey, who would say it ... it WAS lethal. laugh

So to heck with the fact that after only a few hours you essentially die as a person when infected by a mind flayer.
Yeah, that is exactly sou say "allready a few hours after the tadpole insertion" ...
I mean, i know you have nasty habbit to ignore the whole Nautiloid (tutorial) part ... but since you want to me immersed so hard, lets remind it once again. wink

Guess I'll LR because I will never make it otherwise.
Or ... you could have continue and by mere seconds later double your chances to survive by joining with Astarion and Gale ...
Dont get me wrong, i know you "didnt know that" in your first playthrough ... but what you did know was that you were allready aware of enemies before combat started, so you could presume it would be the same later, so you could decide to at least scout ahead ... and yet you made a decision (go Long Rest) and it was bad one ...
Larian didnt force you to do anything, it was your choice.

Bad encounter design and resting mechanics kill immersion.
Funny part is what really kills your immersion is your outside-source informations from tabletop ... you simply cannot let go they are Intellect Devourers, and no matter they can be killed in litteraly 4 turns (thrust me i just checked laugh ) you keep describing them as "impossibly hardcore fight". smile

jogging 2 minutes
/sigh ... -_-
Like jammed gramophone record. laugh

But here I am again rehashing the same stuff I said 10000000 times.
And as far as i know you, you will "10000000 times" more. :P

---

If Mrfuji is right when he said that it's not impossible to tie dialogs to short rests, I agree with Ragna that it's VERY complicated (he also wrote "impossible" but whatever).
Yeah i didnt made myself very clear by using that word ...
Glad to see we understand each other tho, thats what i mean. ^_^

It shouldnt be too complicated to allow 1 "auto dialog" from the "auto dialog queue" per long rest + 1 "! dialog" per character per long rest if those dialogs are unlocked.

The camp would feel more alive, and the game wouldn't "force" you anymore to long rest very often not to miss content.
+1!

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Larian handcraft all dialogs. You can see it in exemple when there is a yellow ! uppon Wyll's head in a mini camp.
When you talk to him, Wyll is not exactly at the same position he was before and the light is a bit different. This mean than one artist at Larian had created this scene entirely.
Is that a good way of doing things ? I absolutely don't think so, but that's how it works and it means that it would be very complicated to tie companions dialogs to "anywhere in the world".

But there's a very limited number of dialogs that triggered as soon as you enter the camp. All others are triggered when you click the NPCs with the yellow !

On top of that with 1 or 2 "dialogues queue" they could also probably untie dialogs from mini camps, which is important for my "how to improve the resting system" suggestion wink

First. Let me say that that is why I suggested also that Short Rest takes you to camp. That way, you could still get the marks above the head and all dialogue such as that still occurs at camp so the hand crafted dialogues might need to be tweaked for lighting but that would be it.

Second, the queue doesn't necessarily work, and that's my point. Many dialogues don't make sense of done after certain other events, etc.

Imagine this. You don't long rest at all. You reach the Grove. You talk to Nettie, having found a healer. You long rest. The very first companion dialogue is queued up. SH says, "I don't think this is a good idea.". Implying taking time to rest. "We need to find a healer."

Um. SH. We found one. Remember? Nettie? Why you saying this?

The Gale's Mirror Image dialogue is triggered in queue. Um. Gale. Yeah. We know. Nettie even said we're not changing as fast as we should, and I already talked with Lae'zel about what happens when you transform. Day late. Dollar short.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I agree 100%, even if I think they should tie them anywhere in the world nonetheless, even if it means re-designing those dialogues from the start. In EA, if something doesn't work, you go back to the abc, is part of the iterative process, this is what EA is for.
Besides, unless some cinematic has interaction with something physically present at the camp, I don't think is going to be so hard for them to adjust the cinematics based on the location in which the party is at the triggering event.

Last edited by Sharet; 13/06/22 11:59 AM.
GM4Him #816722 13/06/22 01:17 PM
veteran
veteran
Thinking about it ...
It actualy would be possible to move every single conversation out of camp ... but it would need to be exactly jus that "a conversation" ... rather than whole cinematic-like scene.

It would also require some cuts and re-writing ... so im not sure if that would even be worth it. :-/

But think with me ...
Larian would need to create 2 versions of every "!" dialogue ... one for incamp, wich we allready know ... and one for outdoors, where Companion would just stand there and talk to our PC, just as they do every time we talk to them.

It would ofc. mean that every gestures, walking, or simmilar stuff would need to be cut out ... aswell as mentioning things icluding those ...
BUT the main body of information we are suppose to get could technicaly stay intact.

Take Astarion's mirror as an example:
In camp we all know how the scene goes, yes?
if not ... here
And in wild ... if they would cut out that mirror part, and the conversation would just start bcs "Astarion seems unusualy gloomy" ... basicaly all the rest can remain intact.

Or controlling the Weave with Gale ... that is scene i never managed to trigger:
In camp we all know how the scene goes, yes?
if not ... here
And in wild ... just leave it theoretical, Gale would not walk around us and showing us gestures and stuff (mainly to prevent clipping issues) ... he would just talk about what "would" he do, if he would want to show us how to channel the Weave.
And it could open dialogue in camp later something like "You remember how we were talking about magic earlier? Would you like to try some?"

Its certainly not the most elegant solution ...
But it could work to give players as much of those conversations as possible, and it would most certainly be MUCH better than just miss them whole. frown

mrfuji3 #816725 13/06/22 02:00 PM
old hand
old hand

Except that people were complaining that LRs take you back to camp. That's why we have the new camp stages we have now. As to whether or not it's impossible, I can't say, as I don't know how this engine handles stages in cutscenes, but in NWN, I could make a cutscene happen anywhere. It was definitely easier to have a set stage for the setstage commands, but I could work around it. I'm not talking about what others could do, or how easily, I'm simply relating my own experience with the Aurora Engine.

It's easy to get confused about this new goal of untying dialogs from resting, because I was initially told that I wasn't supposed to get every dialog in every playthrough, even though that wasn't what I was talking about. Much like I was told in this thread that it takes longer than 2 or 3 minutes to talk to Shadowheart, even though I never said how long doing x or y would take. It's a fairly surefire way to lock out dissention to an idea though, because a lot of people will see someone deliberately misrepresent them, and just quit posting. It's like "there's not a lot of micro-management required", even though you have to go through every active character to decide whether or not you're using HD for this SR or not, every time you SR. If that seems off to anyone, then you'll understand why I just shook my head and moved on to other things. It's not because an argument that is the equivalent of "nope, you'll just have to micro-manage HD every time" convinced me, it's that I'm convinced that the poster is so sold on the idea that they're willing resort to logical fallacies to support it. Think the Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy is told to "ignore the man behind the curtain" even though the man behind the curtain is the Wizard.

veteran
veteran
If you want to heal up partof your party but one character isn't hurt badly, you can just not use their hit dice.
That is true ... but why do you mind?
Yes, your characters who were not hurt are now just as healthy as they were ... but ... i just have to ask: So what? laugh

I mean i could understand you would mind if you would need to spend some kind of resources to heal person with full HP ... but you dont. O_o

My reasoning here is that you never have to waste a rest, as it were. Like if you're out of potions and half your party is fine, but half of them are near dead, then you can just heal the ones you want and the ones that don't need healing don't use hit dice. So you're able to short rest more often overall since you can actually ration out healing more intentionally.

And honestly, I don't really "mind" per se. I think the current system is flawed, but the only aspect of it I'm truly firm about regarding the opinion that "this needs to change because it meaningfully detracts from the game" is the way dialogues are tied to long rests. Beyond that, any other changes to the system would really just be polish in my opinion. I'm bummed that Warlocks and Monks (two of my favorite classes) will be made less useful as a result, but that's what story difficulty is for I suppose. And really, I don't actually know the system well enough to fully understand the flaws and such as I'm playing anyway.

veteran
veteran

Is that a good way of doing things ? I absolutely don't think so, but that's how it works and it means that it would be very complicated to tie companions dialogs to "anywhere in the world". [...]
I agree with everything you said, but my feedback is still: this way of designing cutscenes is extremely limiting, and Larian should reconsider doing it this way for any cutscenes they haven't yet designed. Possibly even redesign cutscenes they've already done.

If Larian is unwilling to do this, then at the very least they should untie cutscenes from LRs. Since you explicitly called me back to the conversation @Rag:
Lets see:
short rests taking place at base camp
people are allready complaining about "coveniently teleporting to/from camp in order to rest" ... cant imagine they would be okey with teleporting thrice as much
Me. I'd be okay with this. In fact, I'd be happier teleporting thrice as much if it meant that dialogues could also happen during SRs. The fact that the game gates content behind frequent long resting is one of my biggest critiques.

dialogues during short rests taking place at base camp
your problem here is light, if you watch those cinematic conversations closely, you can find out they are lighted differently than regular world ... that means Larian would need to create every conversation at least twice (once for Night, and once for Day)
I mean ... do you remember when they showed us minicamps for the first time? Swen literaly told us that they had to rework every single conversation in order to make them work ... so every conversation, multiplied by every potential camp, multiplied by two for different day/night light.
Evidence for why Larian's method of doing it is horribly inefficient. Design it in such a way that you can adjust a lighting slider depending on day vs night. Don't do the work twice: do more work up-front, so later it will be easy to change.

dialogues during short rests happening in the main world
clipping problem ... you surely noticed that characters in our dialogues are moving, using gestures and sometimes are even casting ... if such things are not done on *exact* places, they can easily end up in the middle of the wall.
Larian is designing a AAA game, becoming a big-name studio. They should be expected to fix these types of problems.
Also, we can talk to NPCs (taking us into cutscenes) and NPCs move around in the world, changing their surroundings. This should be the same principle, no?
For Astarion's mirror scene, it seems like Larian could just copy-paste the character models into whatever background scenery is nearby? It's not like Astarion actually interacts with much of the scenery. I'm not asking for the scenery in main-world-dialogues to exactly match the real surroundings. It just has to be close enough.

Sure, some cutscenes as currently written are required to be at base camp during night. But others aren't. And cutscenes that haven't yet been made certainly don't have those restrictions.

GM4Him #816730 13/06/22 02:19 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Edit: This was written while Mrfuji and Ghost responded, so it applies to what was said prior to his comments.

Sigh.

Guys. That's why I was saying SRs take you to camp and dialogues are attached to SRs also. Then the cinematics wouldn't have to be redone to some great length. They'd be more like lighting changes. It'd be no different than, and should be easier, than their mini-camp rework. Same dialogue. Same positions. Except instead of night for the dialogue, it could be redone for day. No other changes.

And that's why I'm saying that Hit Dice instead of the 2 per day SR limit works better. You can get in more SRs per day and thus would have more chances to trigger certain dialogues so you don't miss them. (I mean, besides all the other reasons I was suggesting HD limiting SRs.)

And again, some dialogues really don't work outside of camp. Astarion trying to bite you on the neck while you sleep wouldn't work except during LR. However, SH saying, "I don't think this is a good idea. We need to find a healer because we could turn at any second," DOES work outside of an LR but wouldn't work outside of camp. Why would she say this dialogue at all unless you are attempting to rest and she disapproves. But this dialogue doesn't make sense if it isn't triggered before you meet Nettie. So, it makes more sense to trigger dialogues also during SRs at camp so that you can trigger this dialogue more easily during the first little quest to get to the grove.

And HD is not micro-managing anything. You are convinced it's some complicated system that requires a lot of work. It's SUPER UBER easy. Not even remotely challenging. It's WAY easier to manage than the current item management nasty mess we have. WAY easier. I can't stress this enough.

And again, you don't waste an SR with HDs. You don't have situations where you really need to SR because Lae'zel is out of Action Surge and Second Wind and needs HP but Gale is full health and doesn't need healing. You can spend HD on Lae'zel and save Gale's HD for later. And how hard is it? Click Short Rest, click on one or two Hit Dice, roll and value are calculated instantly without animations and applied to the character, and you're done. Game keeps track of how many you spent so you don't have to. Next time you SR, you can see how many HD you have left per character, and YOU decide whether you spend them or not.

I'm just saying. It's not hard, it makes sense, would help fix the dialogue issues more easily than trying to rework them all so they CAN be outside of camp, gives more strategy and control to the player, extends the adventuring day, which makes sense from a story perspective, and SO Much more.

Last edited by GM4Him; 13/06/22 02:23 PM.
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard