Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
mrfuji3 #816736 13/06/22 03:26 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Like if you're out of potions
I see ...
This never happened to me. laugh

Actualy i usualy stash 20-50 potions in camp for "later use" to save some weight. laugh

---

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Me. I'd be okay with this.
I understand.
Cant see i agree ... since Larian dont have this luxury in my opinion ... but i understand.

Evidence for why Larian's method of doing it is horribly inefficient.
That sounds a little harsh ...
Its inefficient just bcs we want to implement there something they never count with, i believe that should be taken under concideration. smile

They should be expected to fix these types of problems.
Im not claiming that im some überprogramator ... but i cant quite imagine how would you like to fix it. O_o

Also, we can talk to NPCs (taking us into cutscenes) and NPCs move around in the world, changing their surroundings. This should be the same principle, no?
Sadly ... no. frown Or at least not exactly.
Those NPCs we are talking to are moving on their stage, their conversations are created specificaly for the place where they are.

Imagine for example Gale and his Weave chanelling scene ...
In 1:50 cca ... Gale get around our protagonist behind her back ...
If he would try the same move just 5 metters to the right, he would walk litteraly through Wyll and his tent ...
Same goes for outside world unless whole space where Gale is moving during the exactly same scene is empty, he would simply walk through ... no matter if that would be rock, wall, or some living creature. laugh

You see unless something seriously changed since the last time i cared about modeling, we can see textures, but they dont exist in virtual space UNLESS characters are specificaly told they do (those are usualy just interactive objects, for saving processing power) ..
And i dare to believe this is the case in BG-3 since if you are using 6 party mod ... your characters are in many scenes standing in each other (litteraly).

For Astarion's mirror scene, it seems like Larian could just copy-paste the character models into whatever background scenery is nearby?
Well, yes and no ... changing background scenery certainly isnt any big problem.

Close objects is mostly what cause problems ...
He can start the scene with hand stuck into wall ... or with a branch growing through his head ... or with some other npc inside of him. laugh
That kind of stuff. smile

That is the reason why most characters you are allowed to talk "in the wilderness" dont actualy move a lot, and usualy dont even use any big gestures.
And that is rule in most games (at least those i know).

If you would really demand to copy this scene to "anywhere in the world" it would only work as it does with minicamp ... once the scene would start, you and the companion you are talking to would be "moved" to the stage prepared (hopefully nearby enough) and the scene would be happening on the stage.
Sadly, bcs Larian decided to focus on cinematic conversations so much as they do ... it would also mean re-create the same scene for every single possible stage in the world. :-/

Sure, some cutscenes as currently written are required to be at base camp during night. But others aren't. And cutscenes that haven't yet been made certainly don't have those restrictions.
Well i was more focused on the technical aspect ...
Story reasons should be quite obvious in my opinion. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 13/06/22 03:30 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
GM4Him #816738 13/06/22 04:14 PM
veteran
veteran
I think GM4Him's basic idea is a solid one. So essentially, the camp scenes should get a flag attached to them, which determines "Long Rest only", or "Any Rest", or "Any time". Long rest only scenes only trigger when starting a long rest. Long Rest Only scenes are those which only make sense in the context of a long rest. Any rest scenes trigger at the first short or long rest, they don't require a long rest, but can happen when the player triggers a short rest. "Any time" scenes are minor things which don't need a rest at all.

Then the Long Rest button is changed from "Start long rest" to "return to camp". Clicking it takes you to camp, but it does not start a long rest automatically. Instead, a long rest is triggered manually by interacting (with a confirmation prompt) with either the bedroll or the campfire. If there are scenes, they play at that time.

If the player hits the Short rest button, a menu pops up, they choose a number of hit dice to roll, what slots to recover for Arcane Recovery, change an attunement, and they're reminded what features to recover, and when they hit the "Start Short rest". The way Solasta does it is simple, elegant and any extra time it worth the functionality and level of control it provides to the player:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If there is an "any rest" scene, the relevant party members are automatically transported to camp for the purposes of the scene. If there is no scene, the short rest can take place where they were on the map.

If there's an "any time" scene, when the player hits the Return to camp button, they're transported to camp and the scene automatically plays, and when they (manually) leave camp, they go back to where they were on the map.

Whenever a scene is unlocked, the "Return to camp" button gets a highlight or color change to indicate that there's a new scene to see.

This would uncouple many of the scenes from long resting, allow more flexibility in Short Rests, and make it easier to see some of the scenes which would otherwise get missed.

Last edited by Stabbey; 13/06/22 08:04 PM. Reason: screenshot
GM4Him #816739 13/06/22 04:31 PM
veteran
veteran
@Stabbey you summarized it well (credit to @GM4Him for the detailed idea), with the caveat that "any rest" scenes hopefully have modified lighting depending on whether you view them during day (short rest) vs night (long rest). This is probably the most basic fix that adequately addresses my concerns. Sure, it'd break some immersion by teleporting from short rest to camp for cutscenes, but it'd be well worth it imo.

GM4Him #816747 13/06/22 06:13 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks to Stabbey for explaining it in a different and better way with screenshots and all. Much appreciated

Glad you approve, Fuji.

Last edited by GM4Him; 13/06/22 06:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Hit dices would give players a lot of control on their days. If we could SR as long as we have hit dices, players could just CHOOSE and manage their hit dices according to their preferences.
This is just a perfect solution.
When you put it that way, it certainly sounds more appealing. laugh

But still ...
Im just not quite sure if that is a good idea ...

Imagine party ... Battle Master, Warlock, Rogue and Moon Druid ...
Everyone gets resources (except Druid he gets only Wild Shapes ... on the other hand thats often all he need) replenished via Short rest ...
And they will use exactly single Hit Dice after every combat (for first one Fighter uses one, after next battle Warlock uses one, after another Rogue uses one, after another Druid uses one, etc. ) ... so their resources are back, since they just rested ... the rest they heal via potions and scrolls ...

Tbh I don't understand why it would be a problem.
You're just not ready for the "BG3 full playtrough in 1 IG day" challenge wink

Time won't ever really matter in the game so if your full day is 16 hours while mine is 32... it doesnt matter and none of us will even notice it.

I agree with everything you said, but my feedback is still: this way of designing cutscenes is extremely limiting, and Larian should reconsider doing it this way for any cutscenes they haven't yet designed

100% agree !
Lets at least remove cutscenes from minicamp so they can be physically added to the map and add notifications when someone has something to say in a main camp.
(Yellow ! on the portrait rather than uppon their head + "I'd like to talk with you in our camp")

@GM I'd absolutely hate that Short rests bring us back to camp tbh. Being teleported in pocket camps even more is not a good option to me. On top of that, it wouldn't make sense to me roleplay or immersion-wise to go back to camp to take a short rest. Gameplay-wise, we would just loose time for the sake of cutscenes (not a lot let's be honnest but whatever).

But I'm not trying to find another solution because I don't really understand the problem with the "queue".
What happen currently if you haven't long rest before meeting Nettie without seeing the cutscenes you're talking about ? Couldn't it remains the same ?
I'm not sure all companions have a lot of story-related (tadpole/healer/...) cutscenes. Most of them are related to their own stories.

I may definitely be wrong on this one (Patch 7 was a long time ago) but I'm not sure it would create huge issues... or at least bigger than what we can currently have.

On top of that, if it was clear that someone has something to say at camp... we could just choose to travel to camp rather than waiting for the next long rest.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 13/06/22 07:42 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
@GM I'd absolutely hate that Short rests bring us back to camp tbh. Being teleported in pocket camps even more is not a good option to me. On top of that, it wouldn't make sense to me roleplay or immersion-wise to go back to camp to take a short rest. Gameplay-wise, we would just loose time for the sake of cutscenes (not a lot let's be honnest but whatever).

That's just being put forth as a quick fix in case there's some technical reason why the cutscenes would only work set at camp.

Stabbey #816755 13/06/22 08:54 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey

That's just being put forth as a quick fix in case there's some technical reason why the cutscenes would only work set at camp.

Exactly. Honestly, I'd prefer if as many dialogues were able to be outside camp as possible. I'd love SRs to be done right smack dab where you trigger them, and they are unable to be triggered in certain dangerous locations - like directly under the phase spiders in the Whispering Depths. Dumbest thing I've ever seen - but if not, at least send us temporarily to camp for SR so they can be triggered via SR as well; not just LR, so we can make sure we're triggering as many dialogues as we can.

As for why the queue won't work, it really depends on the dialogue. I can't remember a lot of the dialogues off hand, which is why I kept using the SH and Gale beginning dialogues as examples. After meeting Nettie, those first few SH and Gale dialogues would make no sense and be weird. If you cut straight to Nettie, the game shouldn't trigger those initial dialogues because they only make sense if triggered before you meet Nettie. That's one of the big reasons why I think SR triggering dialogues would help make sure people see those dialogues that might be kinda weird if you wait until some future point to trigger them.

There are other dialogues like those early ones. If you don't trigger them in the right order or at the right time, they become weird. Some, I know, aren't that way, and I'm not referring to those. But there are others. I'd have to play the game again and carefully go through it to tell you which ones. I just remember there were actually some that triggered out of sequence, and they were really odd.

GM4Him #816759 14/06/22 02:41 AM
old hand
old hand
I can't help but feel that all this debating would have been a non issue if they had simply added a proper in game clock with a day/night cycle. Long rest would be effective once per day (but could be taken at any time of day) and the number of short rests could possibly be varied according to game difficulty settings. Hit dice could be used or not, depending on each character's need.

Originally Posted by GM4Him
Honestly, I'd prefer if as many dialogues were able to be outside camp as possible.
This would be wonderful. If the distance we travel is supposedly so far (an in game clock would have helped with determining this) then having to go back to camp for a short rest would be extremely immersion breaking. They would have to add teleport circles for this to work. If we are stuck with having to have all conversations at camp with the current system then they just need to stay being done during a long rest.

GM4Him #816760 14/06/22 06:07 AM
veteran
veteran
I just remember there were actually some that triggered out of sequence, and they were really odd.

Ok so this is another problem that already exist and that you're suggesting to solve through SR.
I have to admit that I never really noticed big issues with cutscenes but I havent paid much attention for a while.

I still don't think that being teleported to camp when you short rest is a good solution and unfortunately, I dont think we'll have those cutscenes in the world... I'll try to pay more attention in my patch 8 playtrough to better understand what it could looks like with a queue.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/06/22 06:10 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GM4Him #816761 14/06/22 06:22 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Whoever has tried to do something more complicated with Unity (or any other engine) knows that the camera is often the most problematic aspect. The camera tends to be really weird. A camera stuck in textures or on an object is quite common. I think most people associate one of the most memical glitchy cameras from AC: U.
Therefore, static scenes are best, you can adjust the camera so that it does not coincide with other objects in the scene.
However, if you take the same camera angle and try to apply to some other scenery it will most likely end up badly. It can be a stone, a tree or even some existing but invisible object, as a result the camera will get stuck on some object or the whole cutscene will be at a strange angle.
The worst situation is definitely indoors.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 14/06/22 06:23 AM.
GM4Him #816762 14/06/22 06:25 AM
addict
addict
Unlimited rest. Whats the point of rest? Make a instant rest button. ----->action rpg
Unlimited food. Whats the point of food? Make a EAT button with random buff. ----->action rpg
Unlimited potions. Whats the point of potions? Just auto restore all stats after a couple seconds. ----->action rpg
etc...
For me In an tactical RPG, LIMITS and scarcity creates fun, tactics and immersion.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 14/06/22 06:26 AM.
GM4Him #816766 14/06/22 06:34 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
I still think the queue is the best solution.
The fact that some cutscenes don't make sense at some point is not a real problem. How many such situations are there? Match 2 or at most 3 scenes that don't make sense when you get to a specific point. Is that really such a big problem? Rather, the players will survive it.
The advantage of this solution is that the player will be able to open it when he wants to without worrying about missing something if he does not rest every 2 steps.
At the same time, it also has a big plus for developers. Then they do not have to adjust the scenery depending on where the player is.
To sum up, this is literally one small downside and the profit from it is quite big for both Larian and the players.

GM4Him #816767 14/06/22 06:35 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Unlimited rest. Whats the point of rest? Make a instant rest button. ----->action rpg
Unlimited food. Whats the point of food? Make a EAT button with random buff. ----->action rpg
Unlimited potions. Whats the point of potions? Just auto restore all stats after a couple seconds. ----->action rpg
etc...
For me In an tactical RPG, LIMITS and scarcity creates fun, tactics and immersion.

Do you know that at this point you are complaining about virtually every game from the infinity engine era?

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just remember there were actually some that triggered out of sequence, and they were really odd.

Ok so this is another problem that already exist and that you're suggesting to solve through SR.
I have to admit that I never really noticed big issues with cutscenes but I havent paid much attention for a while.

I still don't think that being teleported to camp when you short rest is a good solution and unfortunately, I dont think we'll have those cutscenes in the world... I'll try to pay more attention in my patch 8 playtrough to better understand what it could looks like with a queue.

I get it. I do. SR currently is a quick button press. I'm suggesting it become LR except without officially End Day. Go to camp, have dialogues...

Perhaps it's not the right solution. I just want them to make it so that we:

- Don't miss fun dialogues that help develop characters
- SR is promoted and made more intuitive so we use it more and LR less
- SR isn't a waste... Meaning use Hit Dice and make things like Arcane Recovery only available per SR like it should be

You know, and all the other stuff I said.

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard