Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
dbarron #816924 16/06/22 01:14 PM
veteran
veteran
In the spirit of being petty and nitpicking everything apart for no apparent reason, I'd like to point out that Dictionary.com defines downloadable content as "purchasable."

Niara #816926 16/06/22 01:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
4) If you chose to download it, you can disable it, you paid for it, and it was made by someone other than the game developers, That's Illegal! (and no longer protected under fair use or transformative work laws)
U sure? :P
Bethesda and their creation club would disagree.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
JandK #816930 16/06/22 02:36 PM
S
old hand
old hand
S
And Wikipedia defines it as "additional content created for an already released video game, distributed through the Internet by the game's publisher."

Honestly this discussion is pointless, it is like trying to define what a RPG or a dragon is, everyone has its own opinion on the subject and the definition is a moving target.

Last edited by snowram; 16/06/22 02:36 PM.
dbarron #816931 16/06/22 02:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Meanwhile I'm extremely literal, to a point any game you download is DLC because it's technically content that you download. I sorely want a new definition for "post-release addon content" entirely.

Same as RPG, I half consider almost every single game, including FIFA, to be roleplaying games, as you take control of a character and play its role in a game, so you're playing a role of someone else than yourself in a video game, hence roleplaying game.

Derpy I know, but technically it kinda makes sense :P

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Composer
Meanwhile I'm extremely literal, to a point any game you download is DLC because it's technically content that you download. I sorely want a new definition for "post-release addon content" entirely.

Same as RPG, I half consider almost every single game, including FIFA, to be roleplaying games, as you take control of a character and play its role in a game, so you're playing a role of someone else than yourself in a video game, hence roleplaying game.

Derpy I know, but technically it kinda makes sense :P

haha, i've seen that definition of RPG as well. Technically it's correct, but it dilutes the phrase so much that it becomes pointless, which might be the point smile.

It's funny though, I have never really thought of it, but I see DLC as purchasable after release content. and I usually think it's smaller than something like an expansion. It's so interesting how we all think differently about common terms.

dbarron #816936 16/06/22 04:11 PM
veteran
veteran
I'd prefer some additions, like action RPG, MMORPG, and for games like BG3, Witcher, KoTOR etc I'd say adventure RPG. If insisting on keeping RPG as a term at all, that is.

dbarron #816939 16/06/22 04:37 PM
veteran
veteran
I think what most people consider an RPG includes genre, so sci-fi and fantasy. Everything else might be called simulation. It's still not adequate, but it's a start.

This is much more interesting than DLC semantics

dbarron #816940 16/06/22 04:40 PM
veteran
veteran
We have it easier in Czech ... roleplaying game is translated to our language as "hra na hrdiny" ... litteraly meaning "game of heroes" (via google translator)

That narrows it down a little. laugh
Not much tho, but at least you cant really include FIFA. laugh

dbarron #816944 16/06/22 05:10 PM
veteran
veteran
I wonder what something like Witcher or Mass Effect would be considered if they didn't involve any sort of character building, it was just dialogue options, and the same combat, and that's it. No levels, no equipping gear, no skill selection. Heavy Rain is one of the few games that had dialogue options but no number crunching, and I don't really consider that an RPG.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 16/06/22 05:11 PM.
Boblawblah #816947 16/06/22 05:39 PM
veteran
veteran
people already derogatorily call those games visual novels or choose your own adventure

Last edited by Sozz; 16/06/22 05:39 PM.
Boblawblah #816954 16/06/22 07:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I wonder what something like Witcher or Mass Effect would be considered if they didn't involve any sort of character building, it was just dialogue options, and the same combat, and that's it. No levels, no equipping gear, no skill selection. Heavy Rain is one of the few games that had dialogue options but no number crunching, and I don't really consider that an RPG.

Sounds like a tell-tale game ala Life is Strange

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
We have it easier in Czech ... roleplaying game is translated to our language as "hra na hrdiny" ... litteraly meaning "game of heroes" (via google translator)

That narrows it down a little. laugh
Not much tho, but at least you cant really include FIFA. laugh

I don't know Rag, for a lot of people, those soccer players...are considered heroes :P

veteran
veteran
What a term means, and if naming of the term is appropriate for thing it represents are two different discussions. I don’t think it is relevant how DLC is interpreted by an individual, but what it was coined to represent. It’s a bit like an argument that metroidvania isn’t a good term, because it doesn’t explain itself to new players - which is a fair criticism, but it also doesn’t make metroidvania mean something different, when someone misuses it.

Even if a term is widely misused it doesn’t mean that the word changes its meaning - people keep calling any piece of music “songs”, but it doesn’t change the fact that song is a specific musical form with voice, and people who keep misusing word “song” are [CENSORED].

That said, definitely DLC could use a neater term. Having to abbreviate it is a problem in itself, and as it has been proved it’s actual meaning is not well represented.

Wormerine #816970 16/06/22 10:32 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
That said, definitely DLC could use a neater term. Having to abbreviate it is a problem in itself, and as it has been proved it’s actual meaning is not well represented.

"Games as service"

or

"How to retain customer engagement through three quarters"

related to this is how few people actually finish games, so really it's like a surcharge for the players who care enough to pay for more.

Last edited by Sozz; 16/06/22 10:33 PM.
Flooter #817230 21/06/22 08:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
Patch 8 will release june 15th at 7pm GMT.

So I have said and so it shall be.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

Aaaanyway ...
We presumed something should come in June ... anyone remember why we presumed that? laugh

D
dbarron Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Wishful thinking?

dbarron #817242 22/06/22 05:54 AM
veteran
veteran
Thats what i think lately ...
Since that tweet seems to be a little missleading. :-/

Sozz #817258 22/06/22 12:46 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Wormerine

"Games as service"

or

"How to retain customer engagement through three quarters"

related to this is how few people actually finish games, so really it's like a surcharge for the players who care enough to pay for more.

I'm going to disagree with that last bit on principle, because for me, if I'm buying DLC, it's to spend more time in a game I enjoyed. 90+ % of the time anyway. I own all the Solasta DLC, for example of that other ~10%, but I haven't finished the main game yet. As an aside, I own all the Witcher games, and all DLC, and I've never finished one of them, but CDPR was doing right by their customers, so I supported that. However, when I bought DLC for Dragon Age, I didn't buy it thinking "they're charging me for finishing their game", I bought it because I was enjoying the game, and wanted more content for it.

Sozz #817270 22/06/22 01:38 PM
P
addict
addict
P
"Games as service"

Did you mean "Trying to re-create the subscription-based payment systems of the 2000-2010's era MMOs, without understanding why the vast majority of games with that system ultimately failed"?

Piff #817272 22/06/22 01:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Piff
"Games as service"

Did you mean "Trying to re-create the subscription-based payment systems of the 2000-2010's era MMOs, without understanding why the vast majority of games with that system ultimately failed"?

Ironically, if you read MMO forums, there's a vocal group that wants all the F2P games to have a subscription model.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard