Print Thread
#748893 03/01/21 07:35 AM
T
Torus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Am I the only one for whom basic mathematics doesn't work in the game?

For instance, Lae'zel has a STR of 17. Plus 3 to hit and damage. Yet somehow she does less than 4 points of damage to goblins all the damn time.
I built a fighter with a CON of 10. The game specifically says 'maximum hit points per level'. Yet at LVL 3, he's got 22 HP. Last I looked, 3x10 was 30.

We won't get into the RNG issues or other technical bugs in this post, but I will add in yet another plea to have TILT in the camera. It's not that hard to do, guys.

journeyman
journeyman
I'll just say that maximum hit points per level doesn't mean you're going to get the maximum every time.

Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"
Originally Posted by Torus

For instance, Lae'zel has a STR of 17. Plus 3 to hit and damage. Yet somehow she does less than 4 points of damage to goblins all the damn time.

All the time, really? Lie. Lae'zel is beastmode given the proper build and weapons.
In fact, having run a number of STR 16 Battlemaster's SOLO builds, I have had nothing to the degree you are asserting or describing.
Furthermore, RNG is simply that RNG, math not involved and don't take having to be a rocket scientist to understand that.
And if you running around in a fighter build with CON 10, you doing something wrong.

Last edited by bullse; 03/01/21 08:29 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
Sounds like they're using standard 5e fixed HP gains. So, for a fighter (d10) with a CON of 10 (+0), you get:
Level 1: Max on class die (10) + CON modifier (0) = 10
Level 2: Average on class die, rounded up (5.5-->6) + CON modifier (0) = 6 + 10 = 16
Level 3: Average on class die, rounded up (5.5-->6) + CON modifier (0) = 6 + 16 = 22

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by Torus

All the time, really? Lie. Lae'zel is beastmode given the proper build and weapons.
In fact, having run a number of STR 16 Battlemaster's SOLO builds, I have had nothing to the degree you are asserting or describing.
Furthermore, RNG is simply that RNG, math not involved and don't take having to be a rocket scientist to understand that.
And if you running around in a fighter build with CON 10, you doing something wrong.

This is a bug forum, not a strategy forum. No one here cares about how good you claim to be at this game.

As for the original issue, if it happens once, there could be a problem. It implied damage die rolls of less than 1 (not possible), some effect sapping your strength (probably not the case?), or the target having some kind of resistance (I don't think any of these goblins have this - certainly not all of them if this is happening a lot).

Originally Posted by grysqrl
As for the original issue, if it happens once, there could be a problem.

But there is NO problem, that is the thing here. Am I just clueless after nearly 650 hours played SOLO and with multiple SOLO runs with a Battlemaster (a two-handed version and a dual-wielding version)?
What happened to OP was largely an act of some seriously bad RNG, imho.
Want to minimize such from happening, select Great Weapon Fighting or Two-Weapon Fighting Style (depending upon your build) at level 2. Want to further minimize such from happening, position, use a bless scroll or have a party member through bless, use a STR potion, etc.
And even then, RNG is simply that RNG.

Last edited by bullse; 03/01/21 08:03 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
In what way does RNG make it possible to roll a 0 on a damage die?

RNG.

veteran
veteran
RNG.
ah yes, the d20 RNG with a 5% chance to roll any of the numbers 1-20 and also a 5% chance to roll a 0.

@Torus
You're right that Lae'zel with a STR of 17 should do a minimum of 4 damage. As @grysqrl said, The common ways she might not are if:
a) enemies have resistance to that type of damage (inspect them to check this)
b) she's using a ranged weapon, which would add her DEX modifier (not STR) to damage
c) she's being debuffed through some condition/enemy spell/etc
Hover over the combat log and it will tell you about the damage calculation (weapon die roll +/- modifiers). This will help narrow down the issue.

T
Torus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by zyr1987
I'll just say that maximum hit points per level doesn't mean you're going to get the maximum every time.

Then they shouldn't say it. 'Cause what the hell else does "maximum hit points per level" mean?

It shouldn't be hard to implement a system where you roll for HP, take the average HP or go 'easy mode' and get max HP per level.

If you lower CON, you can increase DEX, which increases your AC and ranged attack stats.

CON helps you tank damage but doesn't help you dish it out. DEX helps you avoid damage AND dish it out.

K
stranger
stranger
K
~~ Removed by moderation ~~

Link Copied to Clipboard