Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
stranger
stranger
N
Roll for stats and 2 more levels.

addict
addict
Made a Bard Luring Piper to celebrate (Baldur's Gate 2) wink Songs have a chance to charm enemies for a couple of seconds (depends on level) every round.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
Yep, or something worse. People in here actually believing the reaction system is about to change after 2 years.
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Yeah, I've kind of already mentally prepared myself for that possibility too.

I don't really expect, hope for or dream of anything at this point. Which is why my first reply in this thread was basically "Beside the bard I have no clue".

What's left is some bland curiosity to see what comes, but without any delusion to see significant changes or additions in any area.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/07/22 12:05 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
As I'm not playing the EA I don't really care about what's in the patch. But as for the panel event, I would so love for Swen to finally give us some form of a roadmap of what they intend to include in the game at full release (not game content but rather game features).

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Niara
If you're wondering how Cutting words would work "Larian-Style", as in, what they'd do rather htan have to give us proper reactions, it would work likee this:

Cutting Words: Free action, on your turn, target one creature within 60 feet and expend a bardic inspiration die to cause its next attack or saving throw to be reduced by a roll of your bardic die.

Simple, lazy, unsatisfying and the minimum effort way of actualising the ability into the current system. Just watch.

that's basically dos3 clone...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm expecting that they WILL NOT revamp the reaction system for the Bard class. Instead, I'm expecting that they will homebrew the Bard class so that it has features that are simpatico with the combat system as it exists in BG3. This tends to follow how they have treated previously revealed classes.

I'm sure that they will also add some magic instruments and Bard-flavored gear drops. It would be nice if they fleshed out the crafting system and perhaps added a new sub region to explore.

addict
addict
Nobody else is hoping for improvements to the control scheme for the party ? It sounds as if the collective hope is dying ...

Well, with the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm hoping for
- Improvement to the control scheme (Selections instead of just Groups, Ctrl+Click on portrait to add/remove from selection, party formation/marching order, ...).
- Improvement to the hotbar, improvement to the spellbook and similar menus.
- Improvement to the "looting - inventory management - selling" cycle.
- Ability to use the party as party, outside of just having more HP and actions during combats. Notably, being a party during cutscenes.

Generally speaking, I'm hoping for improvements to the game's general usability and playability.

I would also welcome attempts by Larian to care about immersion (removing the biggest "hey, I'm an in-world character but let me tell you about this video game functionality or limitation" moments could be a place to start).

I'm also hoping they have spent as little time as possible introducing new game systems (e.g. instruments) that the patch will focus on improving what already exists.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Nobody else is hoping for improvements to the control scheme for the party ? It sounds as if the collective hope is dying ... .
I mean, sure.
But hoping for something and expecting it to happen are two very different things.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would also welcome attempts by Larian to care about immersion (removing the biggest "hey, I'm an in-world character but let me tell you about this video game functionality or limitation" moments could be a place to start).
...huh? Where/who is that?

veteran
veteran
Nobody else is hoping for improvements to the control scheme for the party ?
Hey i included that on my list. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
Cutting Words: Free action, on your turn, target one creature within 60 feet and expend a bardic inspiration die to cause its next attack or saving throw to be reduced by a roll of your bardic die.

Simple, lazy, unsatisfying and the minimum effort way of actualising the ability into the current system. Just watch.
I’ll take those odds. Call it the naiveté of a non-veteran, but the reaction system is such a juicy low-hanging fruit that I absolutely can’t see Larian leaving it untouched.

Patch 7’s UI clearly indicates the reaction as a resource alongside normal and bonus actions. This foreshadows a revamp, since that information is completely useless under the current system.

The cynical version of Cutting Words should at least use up your reaction (it becomes a third type of action used on your turn). That looks gross, though, so let’s be hopeful for a moment.

Here’s my guess.
Cutting Words: at the cost of a reaction, if using this ability would matter, an enemy’s attack or saving throw is reduced by a roll of your bardic die.

In this version, I envision a situational prompt for the ability. No pop-up appears if the attack already missed, the throw already failed, or in either case if the max bardic die value couldn’t change the outcome.

I’m aware that makes the ability crazy powerful, but it’s not out of line with Larian’s design so far. Maybe they’ll drop the range to 30 feet or something.

Just watch. ^^

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
Just as a quick reminder: Larian at some point promised that they would “rework reactions” but they NEVER explicitly said they would give us full control over them.

For all we know they are just as likely to come up with a new, different way to have them completely automated.

addict
addict
@RagnarokCzD : I read too fast.

@Tuco : Yeah ... I'm neither expecting or hoping for the final control scheme to be satisfactory. But I hope that Larian will at least make some improvements to it. It really suck to have a potentially great game dragged down because the devs seemingly never took Video Game Design 101. (Or perhaps they believe that their vision is so great that they no longer need to follow the basic rules.)

Originally Posted by Vitani
...huh? Where/who is that?

Ah, this has been discussed a lot around here so I didn't go into the details, but let me introduce you to that.
  • When you meet Gale, he introduces you to the Teleportation Portals. These are portals that nobody else than the party can use. The Tieflings certainly don't consider using them to make their journey to Baldur's Gate easier. The goblins in the Blighted Village or the Goblin Camp certainly don't see anything wrong with you popping out of portals. They don't really exist in-game. They are just the game's Fast Travel feature, but the tutorial is given by Gale instead of a tutorial text box.
  • When you free Lae'zel and invite her to join, she comments that your party is full up and wants you to dismiss someone first. That's an in-world character commenting on a game feature (the party size limit).
  • At camp, when you want to switch characters (because there is a party size limit so you can't just travel with ever more companions), you have to ask someone to stay behind. It makes zero sense for the companions to agree to "idle the hours" while you try to find a solution, when they have the exact same problem and the exact same adventurer's potential than you. Instead of us, players, engaging with a pure game interface, we have to do these swaps through an in-world conversation that has zero credibility.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
Just as a quick reminder: Larian at some point promised that they would “rework reactions” but they NEVER explicitly said they would give us full control over them.

For all we know they are just as likely to come up with a new, different way to have them completely automated.
Maybe, but I don’t see the use in showing players a resource over which they have no control. In my view, the worst case scenario makes “reactions” a new kind of action to be used on your turn. You’d use it to cast Cutting Words, Featherfall or activate Opportunity Attack for a round.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
Reactions just need to be an IF - THEN prompt based on triggers and/or replenishable hidden buffs. For example add a hidden IF-THEN check to finesse weapons, that adds a Defensive Duelist buff to a character with that feat at the start of every round, and when ever that character wielding a finesse weapon with that feat is hit with a melee attack X times per round depending on amount of available reactions etc, be prompted with whether or not they want to use their reaction to benefit from said feat. That'd probably be the at-glance approach I'd have as a modder at least, but can be made a little cleaner with low programming access to the engine and game data itself. Reaction can't be actions, because... Well, those are two different things in D&D.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ah, this has been discussed a lot around here so I didn't go into the details, but let me introduce you to that.
  • When you meet Gale, he introduces you to the Teleportation Portals. These are portals that nobody else than the party can use. The Tieflings certainly don't consider using them to make their journey to Baldur's Gate easier. The goblins in the Blighted Village or the Goblin Camp certainly don't see anything wrong with you popping out of portals. They don't really exist in-game. They are just the game's Fast Travel feature, but the tutorial is given by Gale instead of a tutorial text box.
Oh, to be fair I never considered this to be OOC, hence my confusion. Gale didn't go into a winded explanation, just appeared out of nowhere, said it was Netheril magic and... I just went with it, didn't break immersion and I never questioned the mechanic much. Though now that you mention it it does kind of stand out smile

• When you free Lae'zel and invite her to join, she comments that your party is full up and wants you to dismiss someone first. That's an in-world character commenting on a game feature (the party size limit).
  • Also not a thing I considered immersion breaking at first, but now that it was pointed out it does sound strange coming from Lae'zel. I mean, *I* would mind the crowd, she wouldn't care grin

• At camp, when you want to switch characters (because there is a party size limit so you can't just travel with ever more companions), you have to ask someone to stay behind. It makes zero sense for the companions to agree to "idle the hours" while you try to find a solution, when they have the exact same problem and the exact same adventurer's potential than you. Instead of us, players, engaging with a pure game interface, we have to do these swaps through an in-world conversation that has zero credibility.
  • I always take it as "someone should really protect our stuff at camp" situation, but that is - again - just me taking the extra step to excuse the strangeness.

Thank you for the explanation, doesn't sound like something that will change at this point, but I hope it does.

Companions

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
    BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
    D
    addict
    addict
    D
    Originally Posted by NCreepy
    Roll for stats and 2 more levels.

That's about the only change that will get me to re-install and play again.

journeyman
    journeyman
    There's only three things I want, that probably won't happen.

1. A return of the Hermit background

2. Level 5

3. Better elven male faces.

Otherwise I don't care. Didn't care for the Druid release, the Barbarian, or even the Bard release that may be coming. Haven't picked the game up since the removal of the Hermit background. I play solely as a ranger so don't care about these other classes. Maybe if they added the ability to become a werewolf I'll give it another go. But at this point, I just want the full game so I can just play through the story.

veteran
    veteran
    Damn, you are really invested in that Hermit Background.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard