Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Thanks for the synopsis, Niara!

Not as scathing (and thus amusing) as past summaries, but that's probably a good thing, as you say. It means that the PfHs are getting better...or our expectations are getting lower, I suppose.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
"So no Karlach?"

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
It means that the PfHs are getting better...or our expectations are getting lower, I suppose.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
"So no Karlach?"

that got me thinking actually..

with how close everything seems to be getting, it's a bit odd that the new companions aren't being hinted at more/working on more/shown to us more. We've seen massive changes with the dialogue/personalities/cutscenes/looks with all of the current companions and yet we're supposed to have, what 3 more coming? Why do I get the feeling that they aren't going to be nearly as core to the story?

Wyll is a good example of this I think. He's a little more out of the way, and just that distance alone makes him feel a little bit less of a core companion to me. Hell, Lae'zel, despite how much I dislike her, feels more like a companion because of how much focus she has in the tutorial. Imagine meeting someone 40 hours into a game, it's just not going to feel the same (at least to me).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Imagine meeting someone 40 hours into a game, it's just not going to feel the same (at least to me).
Thats why i keep saying that i would like to meet every single companion in first map of Act 1 ...

Wouldnt even mind (presuming we indeed get at least one Origin-companion per Class) to meet them all on Nautiloid (I mean ... they are supposed to be there right? :P ) it would also help us deepen some relationship between those ... Shadowheart refuse to follow us, unless we send Lae'zel away ... Paladin does the same with Wyll ... Astarion will be ambushing someone, and we have to decide wich one we want to help, the other one runs away bcs he is outmatched ...
Etc.
And then, when our party is finaly down on the beach ... we allready share some bond, would be so much better than just gather complete strangers in the wilderness. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
It depends on the total length of the narrative. We've met these 5 companions in Act 1. If it's a 3 act narrative arc, then the ones you meet in Act 2 might hit differently. It could be a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe you're just so ingrained to your initial party that you don't want to change up to include a new companion, so they stay in camp. Alternatively, they could be really compelling and a breath of fresh air that helps push you through to the end.

But 3rd Act companions will just suck. You only met them and then the game is over. Their personal quest arcs would be too short too. What's even the point of getting to know them unless they have significant main plot relevance.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Demoulius
If I may ask, what about their behaviour creeps you out? I find it fine myself. Kind of playful small jabs at each other and not to serious. I don't see anything particularly weird about it smirk

I'm going to guess that you didn't really notice the disparity of treatment between how Swen treated Nick and David, compared to Inna, until it was pointed out. No offence intended, of course - if you didn't that isn't your fault, after all.

I don't want to phrase it 'just' in terms of women on set, because it's very much not 'just' that - it's broader than that, but I'd rather not get into it too much, to be honest; I do pick out bits and pieces of it throughout my other synopses of the other panels, and in a couple of other places where Swen's on-screen behaviours and his treatment of his colleagues in particular is discussed, and I do talk about it a bit in those places, if you want to have a look. Generally speaking, though, folks who haven't had to deal with being on the negative end of it don't see it happening as easily as those who have, and are faster to dismiss it and make apologetics for it. In a situation like this, banging on about it won't benefit anyone, but if you're genuinely curious about why, have a skim through my other synopses posts, and some of my follow up comments in those threads.
Ok maybe im missing something here then? I watched the whole skit again but still dont see much of a difference between how Sven treats his employees smirk During the combat displa at the end she interrupts multiple times and he asks her to speak her mind. Its not like hes shutting her down or wont let her speak or anything.

Im sorry but I just dont see what you are referring to. Do you have some timestamp that I could go to perhaps to see what you mean?

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Doomdrake
Seeing these PfH has helped me tremendously with my decisions regarding BG3:

1) I will enjoy watching my favorite content creators play it.
2) I will never ever play this game myself.
3) I will never ever buy a past or future Larian game.
4) I hope that once this is over Larian never ever touches the D&D franchise again.

At the least, catch it on sale someday.

There is a LOT more to this game that you have not seen, and its only early access.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Eagle Pursuit
It depends on the total length of the narrative. We've met these 5 companions in Act 1. If it's a 3 act narrative arc, then the ones you meet in Act 2 might hit differently. It could be a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe you're just so ingrained to your initial party that you don't want to change up to include a new companion, so they stay in camp. Alternatively, they could be really compelling and a breath of fresh air that helps push you through to the end.

But 3rd Act companions will just suck. You only met them and then the game is over. Their personal quest arcs would be too short too. What's even the point of getting to know them unless they have significant main plot relevance.

They finally make characters we like, but to fit the budget they record in one day...truth/sarcasm/and humor in unknown proportions.

I really, really hope I can make custom characters without playing multiplayer with myself. Like at an Inn that isn't on fire...in Act 1. Further more, I hope they have at least two voices per gender that make relevant banter that gets some generic feedback from existing dialog. They had to have generic banter in place to accommodate future origin characters from the start.

veteran
veteran
After that, they throw over to Edouard Imbert, their lead combat designer, to talk about something that they're excited to talk about called “Swarm AI” … which, if I'm utterly frank and honest, really just looks like they applied shared initiative rules to enemies (up to four at a time; it uses the same graphical signifier and everything), and it doesn't need a fancy name or a big back-pat session.

I don't think that your dismissive complaint is fair.

Edouard explained that what they had to do to get that working is to have all enemies AI process their turns at the same time - movement, action, bonus action, all for appropriate targets, and without it affecting game performance, and then execute them all at once. It's a thing which sounds easy to do, but which is not so easy in practice.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey
After that, they throw over to Edouard Imbert, their lead combat designer, to talk about something that they're excited to talk about called “Swarm AI” … which, if I'm utterly frank and honest, really just looks like they applied shared initiative rules to enemies (up to four at a time; it uses the same graphical signifier and everything), and it doesn't need a fancy name or a big back-pat session.

I don't think that your dismissive complaint is fair.

Edouard explained that what they had to do to get that working is to have all enemies AI process their turns at the same time - movement, action, bonus action, all for appropriate targets, and without it affecting game performance, and then execute them all at once. It's a thing which sounds easy to do, but which is not so easy in practice.
Its a coding thing. So its obviously more complicated then us layman think it is.

Im also quite happy for it. I use a simular rule when I dm for identical groups of npcs and combat still takes ages. Thats mostly due to ttrpg combat just taking long but im happy to see that they try to speed it up for the computer game smile

addict
addict
Thanks Niara, well said.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard