Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Seriously. I have jack of all trades, I am PROFFICIEN IN FREAKING PERFORMANCE and I still somehow can't roll above a goddamned 2? This is absolutely ridiculous, like 5 times in a row I have failed a performance check rolling 2s. If I roll one more damned two or nat 1, I am going to scream.

veteran
veteran
Did you uncheck the "Weighted Dice" option in Gameplay menu ?

Because what that does is it controls the balance between wins and losses. So if you're succeeding in skill checks too much, it will then make you fail until it balances out. I don't know why it's turned on by default, but it's the first thing I turn off every update.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider

Because what that does is it controls the balance between wins and losses. So if you're succeeding in skill checks too much, it will then make you fail until it balances out. I don't know why it's turned on by default, but it's the first thing I turn off every update.

I can't imagine that rolling 5 2's in a row (doubt) is because of weighted dice. That seems like it would be the other way around

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

I can't imagine that rolling 5 2's in a row (doubt) is because of weighted dice. That seems like it would be the other way around

Not if the rolls were after saving and reloading then saving and reloading and so on.

veteran
veteran
ah, yes, if he's save scumming, then that might do it

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Wait, weighted rolls is on by default? Oh craaaaap, that might be it, I never even checked that option one way or the other x_x

Originally Posted by JandK

Not if the rolls were after saving and reloading then saving and reloading and so on.

No, I avoided save scumming just in case the game saves the roll you would have had, like some games do (I think Xcom 2 does this??). This was 5 different opportunities for a performance check that ended up 2s, and that is maddening.

Last edited by Silent Cetra; 09/07/22 07:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
I feel like I'm missing something, why would weight dice make it more likely to get 5 2's in a row?

veteran
veteran
I feel like I'm missing something, why would weight dice make it more likely to get 5 2's in a row?

That's a good question. Makes me wonder what's going on under the hood, so to speak.

veteran
veteran
Does anyone else feel like they see natural 1s rolled with advantage more often then you'd expect?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

If CrimsomRider's explanation is accurate, I previously had several high rolls, including a couple of nat 20s while on the ilithid ship not terribly long ago. So if weighted dice are trying to balance the good rolls from the bad rools, it could be trying to make up for the few skill checks and combat checks I got that were really good. If I'm understanding how weighted dice work correctly.

Originally Posted by Sozz
Does anyone else feel like they see natural 1s rolled with advantage more often then you'd expect?

Only when I am trying to sneak attack with Asterion -_-

Last edited by Silent Cetra; 09/07/22 08:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silent Cetra
Seriously. I have jack of all trades, I am PROFFICIEN IN FREAKING PERFORMANCE and ...
Just for the record ... these two things exclude each other, you know that right? O_o

You either get your profficiency (and expertise, if you have it) ...
OR
You get Jack of All Trades ... so you have "at least" some bonus to your roll.

But never both.

Originally Posted by JandK
That's a good question. Makes me wonder what's going on under the hood, so to speak.
I didnt check under the hood for this ...
But if i remember it corectly, weighted dice should incerase your chance that you will get more "regular" rolls ... meaning less 1's and 20's, and more +/- around 10's in general.

My personal guess (but ONLY guess, based on nothing) would be that the game runs some stream that is for pre-dephined amount of time checking your rolls ... starting once you roll 1 or 20 ... and if during that time it rolls 1 or 20 again, it will re-roll it so you get more "middle" result ...
Keep in mind that actual rolling takes the system fragment of second ... that animation is there just for effect. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/07/22 09:52 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
The weighted dice *should* (according to Larian) work on a very short timescale. E.g., if you roll a number below 10, the next number is extra likely to be above 10. So using it should make it less likely to get multiple of the same number in a row. That's exactly why Larian implemented the weighted dice actually.

Their original rng code for dice rolling resulted in similar numbers being rolled repeatedly. If you rolled low, your next roll was likely to roll low. And the same for rolling high. Over hundreds of rolls, their code resulted in a statistically high number of...6s, 10s, and 17s iirc.

Now, it was back in patch 3 and 4 that these statistics were taken and Larian might have quietly changed their rng code (weighted and/or unweighted) by now. But assuming they haven't, it is actually more balanced to use their Weighted Dice. Getting 5 2's in a row is unlucky, but out of the thousands+ of BG3 players with thousands+ of rolls during each playthrough of EA, someone getting 5 2's in a row is practically guaranteed.

Originally Posted by Sozz
Attempting to answer this question will result in confirmation bias. If you really want to check if 1s are rolled more often, record >300+ rolls in a row without reloading (preferably >500) and see if 1s are actually happening statistically more than 1/20th of the time. If you record the order of rolls, you might be able to identify trends too (same # rolled often in a row, bouncing between <10 and >10, etc).

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
You're not alone...

Everyone reacts that way an a bad dice streak.

...but then comes the good dice streak.

In online table top it becomes a running gag..."use the pink dice!"...."better switch before your luck runs out".

That's why inspiration and the Luck feat are coveted.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Van'tal
You're not alone...

Everyone reacts that way an a bad dice streak.

...but then comes the good dice streak.

In online table top it becomes a running gag..."use the pink dice!"...."better switch before your luck runs out".

That's why inspiration and the Luck feat are coveted.

Man I SWEAR that my luck whenever I play a game or virtual tabletop is so much worse than with actual dice. It's so odd.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Silent Cetra
Seriously. I have jack of all trades, I am PROFFICIEN IN FREAKING PERFORMANCE and ...
Just for the record ... these two things exclude each other, you know that right? O_o

OR

But never both.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
[quote=Silent Cetra]Seriously. I have jack of all trades, I am PROFFICIEN IN FREAKING PERFORMANCE and ...

OR

But never both.

Yeah, I do; I think my frustration made me temporarily forget that lol

addict
addict
Bard tries to free shadow heart from the chamber. Role needed was a 0, roles a 1 fails… Nani! Will this bug EVER go away? My bard has a 12 in Wisdom…

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 10/07/22 05:54 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Bard tries to free shadow heart from the chamber. Role needed was a 0, roles a 1 fails… Nani! Will this bug EVER go away? My bard has a 12 in Wisdom…

This is an issue that has been getting brought up for a while. Larian (and, honestly, many other people) has assumed that rolling a 1 on a skill check is an automatic failure. This is a rule for other d20 games and D&D in older editions, but it is not true for 5e. "Critical" successes and failures on skills checks is not a rule that 5e has.

Put in a feedback ticket for it, the more people that do this the better.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Lol do any of you play pnp dnd? I had a game yesterday and in combat my dice dident roll above 10 once during combat. Only once did they roll higher and that was for initiative and I was still the last to go in combat laugh

Streaks of dice landing on the same number happen more often then id like as well. I dont feel its unfair per se. Happens in the real deal as well!

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Lol do any of you play pnp dnd? I had a game yesterday and in combat my dice dident roll above 10 once during combat. Only once did they roll higher and that was for initiative and I was still the last to go in combat laugh

Streaks of dice landing on the same number happen more often then id like as well. I dont feel its unfair per se. Happens in the real deal as well!

I was in a game where a player's d20 rolled 1 four times in a row. We were on the floor afterwards. Not sure what happened to that dice.

veteran
veteran
I'm talking specifically about rolling a critical miss when you have advantage on the attack, meaning two ones, which would be...2/20*20? 1/200? or is it 1/400 (Math isn't my strong suit)

I was wondering if maybe the game looks at one dice at a time, then skips advantage when a critical miss is recorded...or I'm just a salty POS, dice muncher

FYI this has never happened during a skill check, I'm only seeing this during combat rolls..."seeing"

Last edited by Sozz; 11/07/22 04:08 AM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Had a weird roll yesterday first a 2 then a 3 then a 4 then a 5... What's the chance if that?

It's (1/20)^4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard