Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Roethen
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Sleep spell yet: it has a duration of 1 minute (or 10 rounds). In the game I'm pretty sure it only lasts two which is a huge waste of a spell slot.

*coughs politely and points to the pins*

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=739350&page=1

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
[quote=SilentRave]1) Main problem I came across is that whenever I choose the Attack Action on either character and the Off-Hand Bonus Action attack is available, the Attack Action will utilise the Bonus Action as well. Dunno
why that is and it gets really frustrating not having a clue how to prevent it. I can't have any kind of variety in my attacks and fighting style as the Attack Action will consume my Bonus Action as well,
leading to unnecessary overkills and destroying my action economy.
Look for a small little icon below your equipped weapons (to the left of the hotbar). Clicking that should swap between using both weapons vs only using your main-hand weapon with the Attack Action. (At least, I think so. The icon has changed as of Patch 7).

Bruh I found it!!!! Thank you so much!

B
stranger
stranger
B
Tactical RPGs have come along way from a flat 2d landscape with a hit dice and RGB effects or arrow sprite. Of course, they are mostly still revolving around the merits and malus of the character, with some influence from the tool employed (e.g. bow and arrow) and little from the environment, (e.g. a wall if good pathfinding has been programmed).

Therefore to find a new tactical initiative, it would seem we need to examine the characters. The easiest characters to observe are the magical characters, as they have the widest range of abilities, as they are magic ('no der!'). So I suggest some form of team, action point. For example, should your Cleric choose the spell 'hold person', and select it as a team action, for this round it will not be a time/round enduring action, but a single action. A wizard may then choose a 'raise into air spell' and an archer a 'gonad shot!?', once all these selection are made, a play action choice is selected, and the scenario plays out.

Of course the question was to make things more tactical, now this may require some initiatives to be conducted at height, distance or certain rotation from another character or enemy, this will create a basis for encouraging the player to explore his environment.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I was a Drow Rogue with a racial bonus to Dexterity. Rogue has additional bonus to Dexterity. I am sneaking up on an enemy and am going to backstab with my dagger (taking full advantage of my Dexterity bonuses, I thought). Sneak right up behind him and attack (bonus for Rogues) AND I MISS!! Then I die, which causes my whole party to die. In D&D you attack with a 20 sided dice for hit probability (that is hidden in this instance), if you roll a 1 it is an automatic miss, NO bonuses applied, no matter what. Why then even have bonuses? Sound fun to you?

I know you are trying to make BG3 to The Wizards of the Coast (WotC) gaming rules and standards. I get it. Great concept. (Is that because its contractual?) Dungeon Masters have leeway and usually the more they stick to rules and regulations of WotC, the more fun it is. How about asking WotC if it would be OK to change the "to miss" odds (if you please) from 1 in 20 to something like 1 in 40? This could get supper technical if you start fitting in terrain, weather, type of boots/shoes/barefoot, sleep deprivation, carrying weight, sweat getting in characters eyes, etc... Our Dungeon Master would, but I don't think you need to go all the way down that path. Very complicated to incorporate into code.

Thanks for listening.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Everything is Fine for me in Patch 8, except from the Reaction System. I mean Attacks of opportunity are fine as they are, but the Cutting Words and later on Counterspell cant work as they do now.
They should implement the option to Ask like a pop up for specific spells and leave they rest as they are so the combat doent get annoying!

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by DalaranC
Everything is Fine for me in Patch 8, except from the Reaction System. I mean Attacks of opportunity are fine as they are, but the Cutting Words and later on Counterspell cant work as they do now.
They should implement the option to Ask like a pop up for specific spells and leave they rest as they are so the combat doent get annoying!

What if they keep the same Reactions system, but you can pause the game at any time, and turn on/off Reactions for any PC in your party?

This would allow for the game to flow as it does now, but allow a degree of freedom for players to control when to Reaction on a specific character's turn? The only thing you couldn't do is react to a single character making multiple actions in a turn that could trigger the same Reaction.

That seems like a good compromise between their currently implemented Reactions and 5th Ed Reactions?

old hand
old hand
I'm guessing it's not a bug so I'll post it here, turned the gamma down so dark areas actually look go figure dark. Started seeing visual lighting differences when my female halfling faced different directions. You can really tell in starting ship, top level, and putting your character close to a tentacle wall. Holding Ctrl and move your character back and forth and there is light coming from your character in the front, I have no clue why this is like that but ya not a fan of light projecting from front of character that cant see in the dark.

Last edited by fallenj; 10/07/22 07:58 AM.
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Great work OP.

It would be great if you can maintain it through the different patches...

stranger
stranger
I noticed that in patches 7 or 8 when you create a character with a ponytail similar to Shadow Hearts ponytail yours doesn't move it's rigid AF and looks quite silly even in Close Up animations. There are other little grapes I have like why the hairstyles were changed why couldn't you just add more instead of changing them and the colours are also changed in the hair? Are they going to be more voice choices? Because honestly dwarfs sounding English just sounds weird as heck. Also moving objects with the mouse it can't be done yet in my game at all for some reason before you were supposed to left-click on the object you wanted to move to place it over a trap and that was all fine but unfortunately, because of my disability I have to use a lock click Mouse button and it wasn't working for some reason. And Larian said they were going to address this in the next patch and I think that was two patches ago. I apologize for my shite sentence structure.

enthusiast
enthusiast
For the reaction system, it seems to me, that

1) Having a passive reaction system like we have now is unpopular, because it is too inflexible. IE you can not choose to only block attacks with the shield spell from strong enemies. The goblin attacks you, you cast shield, your reaction is gone, and the Minotaur attacks. This can be solved with some homebrew (like cutting word now) but that creates its own problems

2) Having an active reaction system like Solasta will slow down the game quite a lot. After EVERY attack of a Paladin, the game will ask you if you want to smite, bards have reaction for attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, basically after EVERY dice roll in the game if you play with a bard, you will have to click away a pop up menu. This allows a high degree of flexibility, but slows down combat and is annoying

My solution:
Bring back slight real time with pause elements (might even make some BG1/2 purists happy). One key (lets say the space bar) is assigned as the "reaction" key.
During any animation, if you click the button, the game stops and a pop up menu with all possible reactions comes up. That means you will not have to select no for smites after every attack, but can choose yourself when you want it, without loosing flexibility as described in 1)

You could then also assign automatic reactions as they are now, with a toggle, if you want to. So if shield is toggled on, every time my wizard is hit, they cast the shield spell.
If shield is not toggled on, if I am attacked, nothing happens, unless I press space during the animation, and then select the shield spell as my reaction (if more than one reactions are available, for example a bards cutting word etc)

This keeps the advantages of both systems, and allows for flexible reactions without homebrew, as they are in the PHB, without making this a pure tactic simulator with hour long combats thanks to pop up menus every three seconds.

Tl;dr:
- introduce a reaction key
- individual reactions can be toggled on, if shield is toggled on, every time my wizard is attacked, they cast shield
- individual reactions can be toggled of, then, only if I press the reaction key during the appropriate animation a pop up menu appears and I can select what I want to do
- keeps the flexibility of the Solasta system without sacrificing the simplicity of the current BG3 reaction system

N
stranger
stranger
N
Allow Camera lock so the same view can follow you as you run.
Bugs for forge not working but i think you know that.
Give an option to abort a conversation on the first dialoge in case you have the wrong person up or realize you need to get something first.
Put in a bag of holding that links to you camp. You can put an item limit but weight won't matter.
Put in a timed save you can set in options
I.e. Save every 5 minutes in save position 2
Let vampire draw on the life of the slug or make his slug vampiric. That would be to cool.
Make it possible to set your fellow members follow distance. THey get in the way when they are to close.
Install an auto follow in the multi=player mode. It would be nice to run to the restroom without stopping the group. You may be useless in a battle but at least you are there.
- Click unfollow at anytime to jump into battle if you were following AFK. Otherwise you don;t attack but are a viable target, That should make it simple enough to implement.
Flag quest update areas on the map better
Show light grey areas for areas you havent been so you can at least tell they exist.

Back off a vit on npc pussing possibly. Other than that no need.. combats are sooooo easy already. No need to nerd them further, if anything add more Mobs to certain combats.

The Devil fight at Helm on nautiloid (if one insists on killing The devil with fire sword), can be a bit tricky.

Only other combat that is a slight struggle is Githyanki fight if you do it at lvl 4 or below. I do that on purpose to get challenged. At lvl 5 that one is easy or moderate at best.

Havent done Grymforge and The Duergar/Drow in patch 9 yet. Remember those being a challenge at lvl 4 in patch 6 (or was it 7?). But a fun one smile

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

apprentice
apprentice
Shared initiative...

I did a search on the forum and didn't easily find any posts about this...

When playing multiplayer, we should have the option to deactivate shared initiative. Sometimes, when playing with friends, three or four moves at the same time end up getting in the way of gameplay.

I believe that if we could choose whether the game will have individual or shared initiative, it would help a lot.

B
B
Alright so I just completed my first ever playthrough of the Early Access.
I played as a Human Male Cleric of Ilmater and I had a blast.
My complaints mostly revolve around aesthetics and some racial options, but even so this is a great game.

However there are a few things I would love to see:
-Playable Duergar: There are already duergar character models and there is a significant portion of the game where being a duergar could be relevant from a roleplay perspective. For whatever reason I thought that the duergar will be OBVIOUSLY in the game, given how we already have deep gnomes and deep elves, it just seemed like a natural thing, but nope. I really hope you guys will add these bad boys as a playable option, because at this point I need them smile
Playable Aasimar: Given how tieflings are included I feel that it's only fair that their heavenly counterparts should also make an appearance.
-Tieflings are too demon-like: This is going to be a really strange one, but I think the problem with tieflings is that they don't look half-human, or even mostly human, they look positively demonic. I think that it might be a more interesting aesthetic choice to represent them as mostly human with a few markers that reveal their extraplanar heritage. As things are right now they basically look like Commander Zhalk without the wings.
-Ugly faces in charcter generator: I know this is very subjective but many of the selectable faces in the character generator are just really ugly, especially when it comes to elves and half-elves. Humans are actually fine, and it's rather strange that humans have more pretty faces then elves.
-Bodytypes may need a touch of work: I think the baseline bodytype for most races is fine, however halflings in particular stand out as weird... They seem like they don't have their own character model, they are merely shrunk down and distorted versions of the generic human body. I also think it would be a good idea for more body-types to be selectable, although this really isn't a major issue for me.

Multiplayer
My friend played as a bard and he couldn't give me his bardic inspiration bonus in conversation dye rolls. Event hough he clicked on it, it didn't actually get added to the final result.
Another thing I noticed is that if we both started disarming a trap or open a lock at the same time, after he successfully finished the task, my character was frozen and unable to do anything. Luckily we had a save to reload, but that would have been a game ending bug.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Regarding combat, I have one aspect that I think would be an improvement, which is:

Replace primary and secondary weapon sets with main hand and off-hand with 4 weapon slots to choose from (2-handed weapons consuming 2 slots).

That's all for now.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by MarvelS
Regarding combat, I have one aspect that I think would be an improvement, which is:

Replace primary and secondary weapon sets with main hand and off-hand with 4 weapon slots to choose from (2-handed weapons consuming 2 slots).

That's all for now.

Use of weapon slots like this is something that has been discussed here before, eg at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=841281.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
M
apprentice
apprentice
M

I
stranger
stranger
I
I just wish to state that currently, stealth is completely broken with rogues.
I have cheesed my way through all the difficult content with a bow, and a vampire rogue.
He could sit a mile away up high and kill everyone in the room, without being spotted.
I combat he could just stealth and be unseen no matter where he was, and kill everyone. Just by shooting, rentering stealth and shooting some more.

Major problem with stealth is that the enemy just freezes, and does nothing to counteract my character. They just stand there.
Either they could try to reveal your character with force, light or something else. OR they could simply go all the way over to investigate.

Though most of the time they would not see my character either way, because he always wins on stealth rolls.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't know what to think about traps. The unlimited duration of the traps in the Abandoned Temple and the Underdark in the very top levels is... insane. If you trigger a trap and it starts to spit fire (with knockdown) it stays on forever. Two stupid fails of natural 1s and it's a party wipe. Hope you managed to have a save point before the traps all triggered.

The one in the Underdark is especially bad, as you permanently get knocked down while taking fire damage and you can't turn it off. And it stays on even past long rests.

Last edited by Arthur Hansen; 24/07/23 09:47 PM. Reason: typos
stranger
stranger
So shocked that someone else was having problems with the Light as well.
I use cantrip to visually light up rooms, but sometimes the enchanted weapon doesn't light up the room as it should, causing me to acquire a Druid trait just to use Conjure Flame.
I also don't feel a notable downside to not lighting the room during combat.

Just a harmless flower...
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard