Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
He was confirmed as one of the Good alignments way back when; is this confirmation no longer valid?
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
He actually looks more faithful to his art now. Less charming man baby and more like a powerfull wizard you arnt sure is evil or not.

Uh, he's Neutral Good.
According to Larian they released the neutral and evil companions first. I would put Gale into the neutral category personally. The way , he treats the Raphael incident makes me think of betrayal, If we don't meet his conditions ( giving him magical items regulary).

He was confirmed as one of the Good Alignments way back when; is this confirmation no longer valid?

veteran
veteran
source?

D
old hand
old hand
D
Wait how can anyone consdier Gale evil? I havent seen him doing anything remotely evil and he even dislikes it when you are even just rude.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Wait how can anyone consdier Gale evil? I havent seen him doing anything remotely evil and he even dislikes it when you are even just rude.

It's the undertone about Gale. There are subtle clues that though he SEEMS nice, he may not be.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Nice is not the same as good. A person can be a good person but not nice.

I dont expect him to shank someone but I do expect him to make sarcastic remarks if people make stupid mistakes around him, for example. If that makes sense.

veteran
veteran
He was confirmed as one of the Good alignments way back when; is this confirmation no longer valid?
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
He actually looks more faithful to his art now. Less charming man baby and more like a powerfull wizard you arnt sure is evil or not.

Uh, he's Neutral Good.
According to Larian they released the neutral and evil companions first. I would put Gale into the neutral category personally. The way , he treats the Raphael incident makes me think of betrayal, If we don't meet his conditions ( giving him magical items regulary).

He was confirmed as one of the Good Alignments way back when; is this confirmation no longer valid?
We're did you read that? There was a link back then in one of the companion threads with a statement from Larian saying, that the companions we have now are the neutral and evil ones. I don't have the link right now, but maybe someone can jump in here.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Demoulius

Have you tried not giving him artifact / looking at the YouTube videos of those who did not go along with his condition?

Does not seem very good alignment at all to me. . _ .

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Depends on how you look at it ...
Yes, he is angry ... yes, he is snarky ...

But on the other hand his life (and lifes of everyone around) are threatened while you keep key to his (and their) salvation before his nose, just barely out of his reach ...
I dont think that his ... attitude ... at that moment should be defining his aligment. :-/
I mean ... even the goodest paladin in the world CAN get angry, for the right reason.

I also dont believe Gale is purely good tho, after all he seems like that kind of type who would sacrifice everything and everyone for Mystra ... and that is certainly quite selfish thing to do. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/07/22 09:44 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
he seems like that kind of type who would sacrifice everything and everyone for Mystra ... and that is certainly quite selfish thing to do. frown

Mystra IS Neutral Good; she wouldn't approve of such acts. Then again, since he isn't a priest, he wouldn't get the memo (at least, not a first).

addict
addict
he seems like that kind of type who would sacrifice everything and everyone for Mystra ... and that is certainly quite selfish thing to do. frown

Mystra IS Neutral Good;

Isn't the latest iteration of her ie Midnight Lawful neutral?

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

Mystra IS Neutral Good;

No, Midnight was NG and the previous Mystra was LN who replaced CN Mystryl after the Karsus debacle. NG Mystra even tried to prevent Cyric from using magic shortly before he murdered her so unless something has changed, she probably still in NG.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Spell&Spield
I think it has escaped no one that Gale looks objectively worse in Patch 8 than he used to. He used to look fine, good even and there is no reason that I (in my admittedly limited thinking) can think why he needed a change? Does anyone here have some insight or speculation as to why Gale's appearance was changed? So maybe I am just dumb and clueless but what exactly were they trying to achieve by demoting Gale's appearance in patch 8?

Gale's always looked strange I thought, guy looks like he has false teeth. Looked and probably still looks terrible.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

Mystra IS Neutral Good;

Thankfully, she's still Neutral Good.

stranger
stranger
PERSONALLY, I do think that Gale looks worse in Patch 8. I DO know that people seems to like this new version.

But me? Just... no. For me the EA 1.0 version was the best and perfectly suited his voice.

The biggest issue for me is his beard and jaw. I get that they wanted to give him masculine look, but he started to look like Ifan or Anders 2.0. I sincerely hope that it's not the final version of his face.

The earring with Mystra's sign makes sense, though it gives him rogue/pirate vibe. Not big fan of it, but ok.

Spoiler tattoo is funny part. Maybe in next patch we'll see this mark on his forehead, so everybody know that he has a bomb inside. Does it need to be on display? Or Larian will change his starting outfit?

Overall, he looks very flashy and roguish, while I imagine him as a neat and refined character that doesn't need to stand out that much.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My impression of Gale is that his outward visage is that of a smug know-it-all and a show-off. He likes to tell tales about himself. He is amiable and wants to be well liked. He wants people to be impressed with him. So, being flashy and roguish is right up his alley. But inside, he's on a knife's edge. He's tense. He's literally a walking time bomb. And that comes through sometimes, and wears on him. So he is just a touch prematurely aged and shabby. He constantly seeks magical items, but he can't utilise them or sell them because he has to devour them.

I like Gale's appearance a lot more in this patch than I did previously. The tattoo maybe is a bit too much but I like the idea of him having a mark (maybe a scar?) right where the orb entered his body. I am in full support of the earring tho! Let a wizard wear some bling :P.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LadyDuLazy
PERSONALLY, I do think that Gale looks worse in Patch 8. I DO know that people seems to like this new version.

But me? Just... no. For me the EA 1.0 version was the best and perfectly suited his voice.

The biggest issue for me is his beard and jaw. I get that they wanted to give him masculine look, but he started to look like Ifan or Anders 2.0. I sincerely hope that it's not the final version of his face.

The earring with Mystra's sign makes sense, though it gives him rogue/pirate vibe. Not big fan of it, but ok.

Spoiler tattoo is funny part. Maybe in next patch we'll see this mark on his forehead, so everybody know that he has a bomb inside. Does it need to be on display? Or Larian will change his starting outfit?

Overall, he looks very flashy and roguish, while I imagine him as a neat and refined character that doesn't need to stand out that much.

lol, I'm just imagining Astarion with a big "V" on his shirt, Gale with a bomb picture, Wyll with a demon tattooed onto his arm. Would fit right in with Shadowheart's "secret" lol

addict
addict
I hadn't actually noticed the change, as I usually either bypass Gale so he doesn't appear or kill him on first sight ( his sotto voce comment on being attacked is one of his best lines smile ).

I shall have to go back to pick him up and see if his new look still works with his vocal characterisation; judging by the image posted in this thread, he looks OK in his new incarnation.

As to his "alignment", I certainly wouldn't see him as needlessly cruel, and he shows no preference for lawfullness or chaos. He seems to prefer the PC to act in a manner that would usually be regarded as "good", but sometimes that is because it resonates with his own experience.

Against that should be noted that a guy with a deastating bomb in his chest that is "good" should actually isolate himself from everyone to reduce the danger to innocents. Plus, a "good" character would definitely not do what Gale actually does if you don't give him magic items to consume. In this Gale is definitely acting strongly in his self-interest, and that seems to be his owerall psychological outlook.

You could argue that he is Neutral Good, but I would peg him as True Neutral, just not the Druidic "karmic-balance" sort of Neutral; more the "I don't much care unless this intersects with me" sort of Neutral.

Having assassinated his character somewhat, I should note that Gale will probably be in my first party when the game is released, as I am interested in how his story unfolds. In EA, however, I am thoroughly bored with him, and rarely find him all that useful.

L
L
Originally Posted by Spell&Spield
I think it has escaped no one that Gale looks objectively worse in Patch 8 than he used to.
"objectively", lol

I think he looks better in Patch 8.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
I think he looks way, way better now.

+1

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard