Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Is there any indication that this new game will have deep ties to the lore of the original BG1 and BG2? I recognize that this new story takes place a long time later. But will it link up at all? Do we see signs or clues of this in the content that's been released so far?

addict
addict
In short, yes.

The Official FAQ (pinned in this subforum, at the top) has this to say :

Originally Posted by Official FAQ
Is it the sequel of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2?
Yes. The story takes place 100 years after the events in Baldur’s Gate 2 and shortly after the events of Descent into Avernus. We don’t want to spoil anything about the story but it will be connected to the previous games in meaningful ways.

Also, in the Early Access content, we can find occasional references to the Bhaalspawn saga/crisis. In lore books, as far as my personal findings were concerned.

veteran
veteran
Hope springs eternal
We've gotten some hints and nods to FR lore in general, there are some references in books to the Bhaalspawn, and "Murder in Baldur's Gate" which I could have done without.

I'd recommend Bladedancer's FR continuity thread which I recommender before Here: Baldur's gate books
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Reviled or not, they're the official canon for the Realms. The story of Baldur's Gate in the current timeline is based on what happened in those books, not whatever happened in some individual's BG playthrough.
Was that true for Baldur's Gate II? Or Throne of Bhaal, or Neverwinter Nights? They never treated the novelizations as canon why should we expect BG:III to?

Also BladeDancer appears too modest to but I'm not going to let this opportunity pass to showcase his hard work The Complete Written Chronology of The Forgotten Realms, lovingly annotated by resident loremaster BD

In general check out the threads BladeDancer created, a lot of theorizing around continuity happened there.

Also my first post on the forum I guess...Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal continuity

Last edited by Sozz; 23/07/22 07:21 PM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Exactly Sozz...this the latest crises to befall Baulder's Gate (In this time period).

Any other ties (which are expected) are gravy.

veteran
veteran
Hey if Tav turns out to be the Bhaalspawn with all his memories eaten; I'm there for it.

addict
addict
On a side note, I'm curious to know where the spelling "Baulder's Gate" comes from.

It's frequent enough and, unlike the famous Rouge, this incorrect spelling looks less likely to be a typo. I'm wondering if the localisation, in some language, is the source of that.

veteran
veteran
The way people pronounce Baldur is my guess. Bauble's gate, people type by ear, especially informally. I know I've personally texted some weird phonetic typos off the cuff before

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you all for the replies and thread links!

N
old hand
old hand
N
The mark of the absolute is a combination of the marks of the dread three. And Helm sent
Jergal back presumably to stop something, so there's a good chance it'll heavily tie into
Bg 1 and 2 later.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Of course Larian's choice of load screen shorts may be the biggest tell.

Specifically the bit that Tells you about Bane, Ball, and Myrkul..

This is also refereed to in the Book of the Dead God's, You have to pass checks to read, as if Larian wanted to put weight on this information.

Finally the loading screen infomercial also mentions Jergal.

In conclusion we were a Baal Spawn in 1 and 2, and now, years latter, the same dark forces are rallied for another go at ignoble designs.
Mwaa ha ha.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard