Print Thread
V
V_Ben Offline OP
Ben_Larian
OP Offline
Ben_Larian
V
[Linked Image from cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com]

Hello there, everyone! We hope you’re all good, wherever you are.

We’ve been hard at work since our last major update, and Patch 8 is almost ready for primetime. We’re putting the finishing touches on it right now, and preparing a Panel from Hell to give it a full unveiling.

On to our feature presentation: Patch 8 is drawing near, and it’s going to be roughly 40GB (so make sure you have space free!), bringing the total install size for Baldur’s Gate 3 to approximately 104GB. As with our previous patches, and saves made on Patch 7 or prior will no longer be compatible when updated.

In addition, we’ll be using Patch 8 as the opportunity for a little bit of digital house-cleaning. Once it goes live, we’ll be removing the ability to download all but the 2 most recent Patches. In this case, Patches 6 and 7 will remain available for download, but we encourage all players to update to the most recent version of the game in order to get the latest fixes and content updates.

With that bit of housekeeping out of the way, let’s talk branching. We’ve got options if you want to continue saves from earlier patches, or if you want to make sure you’re staying current. Check out the below instructions for whichever method suits you best.

1. How to Update Your Game to Patch 8: If you want to play the most up to date version of the game and have never opted into any beta branches in the past, then good news: You don’t need to do anything! When the patch releases, you will receive the most updated version of the game as long as you have automatic updates enabled. To enable automatic updates, please follow the steps below:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the Updates tab
  • Select "Always keep this game updated" in the drop down menu

2. How to Update to Patch 8 If You’ve Opted into an Earlier Beta Branch: If you previously opted into any beta for Patch 6 or earlier and want to ensure you get the most up to date content when Patch 8 goes live, then please follow the steps below:

• Select properties
  • Click the Betas tab
  • Select "None" in the drop down menu

3. How to Continue Your Patch 7 Save: If you want to continue your progress from Patch 7, then take the following steps. Save files are not ‘deleted’ from your computer; they’ll remain in your folder, but you’ll only be able to load saves specific to their respective versions.

• Select properties
  • Click the BETAS tab
  • In the list under "Select the beta you would like to opt in to", select Patch 7
  • Close the properties menu

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

If you’d like to continue your save file on the current version, you can move to the Patch 7 beta branch now.

Important Note: If you want the option to go back to a previous patch, it’s best to make a new in-game profile and backup your local saves from the previous patch. You can do the following before or after you update to the latest version:

• Before starting a new playthrough, create a new profile by clicking the profiles button on the top left of the main menu. All your progress in the new patch will then be saved under this profile while your old saves are safe in the previous profile.
  • As an extra safety measure, you can manually back up your savegames:
  • Go to /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
  • Find the folder that is named after the profile you used in the previous patch
  • Copy and paste this entire folder into a backup location
  • If you want to revert back to the previous patch, follow the instructions above and activate your old profile
  • If you have somehow lost your progress by overwriting savegames and want to restore your old backed up savegames simply copy over your old profile folder into its original location again: /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
  • Sync back to the patch6 beta branch with the instructions above and load your old savegames

A Note On Mods: If you have any mods installed, or were using any in previous versions of Baldur’s Gate 3, please remove them before updating your game. You can do this by checking both the ‘Mods’ and ‘Public’ folders in '..\SteamApps\common\Baldurs Gate 3\Data' - if either of those folders are present, please delete them before updating. If applicable, please also delete the file ‘modsettings.lsx’ in the profile folder. Further information about mods can be found at https://larian.com/support/faqs/mod-information_77

Note: Branching unfortunately won’t be available on Stadia for the moment.

GOG:

• Select the game from the owned games section
  • Click the settings button top right and select manage installation > configure
  • To disable auto-updates, there is a checkbox “automatically update to new version” > uncheck this box to stay on the current patch
  • Unchecking this box will let you roll back to a previous version

[Linked Image from media0.giphy.com]

Last edited by V_Ben; 04/07/22 09:26 AM.
veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from gog.com]
is this a clue?

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by V_Ben
Once it goes live, we’ll be removing the ability to download all but the 2 most recent Patches.
Understandable decision ...

Kinda odd choice of patches tho ...
I mean, you can see sometimes people (myself included) telling to others that if they really feel like this EA was wasted and game really didnt change at all (yup it hapens) that they should set it for patch 1 and see the differences themselves.

I was preparing for comparsion gameplay (with some recording) myself when Early Acess will come close to its end ...
But i believe that would no longer be possible, huh? frown

Or is there any way to force Steam to make two separate instalations of this game, so i can set my curently installed game to patch 1 ... and keep updated second game?
Thanks in advance for any answer. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
You can have the game installed on two different systems pretty easily so for example patch 4 on desktop and patch 8 on your laptop. Just don't have cross saves enabled until the test is over

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I have only one game PC. laugh
My other devices would most likely not run BG-3. laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
You could download patch 1 zip it update ur files then extract patch 1 to ur bg3 and see of it reverts back to patch 1, if it does just zip patch 1 2 3 so on and dump it on an old sata hard drive or something so its not eating loads of space, or upload it to what ever cloud storage you use, then you can still do your comparisons

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Once it goes live, we’ll be removing the ability to download all but the 2 most recent Patches.
Understandable decision ...

Kinda odd choice of patches tho ...
I mean, you can see sometimes people (myself included) telling to others that if they really feel like this EA was wasted and game really didnt change at all (yup it hapens) that they should set it for patch 1 and see the differences themselves.

I was preparing for comparsion gameplay (with some recording) myself when Early Acess will come close to its end ...
But i believe that would no longer be possible, huh? frown

Or is there any way to force Steam to make two separate instalations of this game, so i can set my curently installed game to patch 1 ... and keep updated second game?
Thanks in advance for any answer. smile

Don't know if its a little overkill but i usually make a backup clone of my HD once in a while. If something goes sideways...im not fond of the windows repair points. you could make a clone on a second HD for that purpose and just switch it out and back when youre done.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I have only one game PC. laugh
My other devices would most likely not run BG-3. laugh
You can try virtual machines if you're really seriously considering it. Or just do it really really quick.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I think about it, thanks for advices. smile

S
S
so this is the "last" patch or "latest" patch?

the final patch or just latest patch that we are still possible to see patch 9 ?

Finally patch 8.
I have said it before and I will said it again.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

MORE COMPANIONS PLEASE.

Last edited by Street Hero; 06/07/22 02:03 PM. Reason: Can't i

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
veteran
veteran
Patch 8 is drawing near, and it’s going to be roughly 40GB (so make sure you have space free!), ]
on gog
the patch is 86G which will take at least 104G of free space to unpack

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
Patch 8 is drawing near, and it’s going to be roughly 40GB (so make sure you have space free!), ]
on gog
the patch is 86G which will take at least 104G of free space to unpack

On Steam, the patch was listed as 39.3GB, but that magically changed during the update process. The eventual download was 83.5GB, which is not so different from GOG.

veteran
veteran
As I pointed in another thread: turned out that if you have fast internet is WAY faster to just uninstall and redownload the entire game than going through the patch download/decryption/decompression/overwriting cycle.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
When is patch 8 coming for Mac?

Last edited by Marcelo Fagundes; 24/07/22 05:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Marcelo Fagundes
When is patch 8 coming for Mac?

Vc esta jogando BG3 num Mac? Olha,eu uso Mac pra tudo. Sempre gostei mais e continuo gostando mais de um Mac pra fazer qq coisa. MENOS: videogames.

Eu tentei jogar o BG3 no meu Mac. Desisti 2 horas depois. O jogo funciona muito melhor e eh mais fluido num PC, tudo eh mais facil.

Se vc adora apaixonadamente BG3 como eu, investe num PC para o full release do jogo. Vale pena, pq o BG3 vai marcar uma era como o melhor crpg durante muito tempo.

PS:I can translate all this in English if you did not understand.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I undestood a bit, but use English mostly as is't most commonly used, depending on your mac hardware is what really framerates you will have, BG3 is a beast in terms of graphics and more importantly, processing power, i've always admire Mac's stylish looks, but I just don't like that it's so difficult to install and modify your own files :P, check your options, maybe you can squees a little bit more of framerates, game's really optimized for it being an alpha only, the full release SHOULD have better performance!, also, just wait for release, don't burn yourself with arc1

Link Copied to Clipboard