Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Because me and a few people started playing the EA trying to take as few long rests as possible, I wanted to know if people:
Try to take as few LRs as possible
Take LRs after every fight
or use some other metric (every new region for instance)
And, I'm curious to get an idea how many long rests people take in their typical run throughs.

Also, I'm not interested long rests taken just to see camp scenes, part of the reason for the poll is to see how big the disconnect between the camp scenes and the game play is, considering each companion has 3+ scenes that trigger upon taking a long rest, with some only occurring after finishing the Goblin/Grove conflict, so someone like me will at some point have to spam, to see them.

I also made a provisional list of the engagements to help me work out how I usually run through the EA, I'm probably missing a few.
Engagements
Major: Spider Matriarch, Hag's Lair, Githyanki, Duergar(Cole), Spectator, Duergar(Nere), The Three Bosses, Attacking the Grove, Attack the Goblin Camp, Boo-aal
Situational: Windmill Fight, Gnoll Flind, Red Caps, Ship Fight, Ancient Tree Fight(Bog), Ancient Tree Fight(Hook Horrors), False Paladins, Grym, Robot guy in the tower, Lump
Minor: Back Route to Grove, Harpies, Goblin Camp Guards, Gnoll/Hyenas, Owlbear, Minotaurs, Goblins Protecting Halsin, Druid Sanctum, Ruined Chapel fights, Ettercap/Phase Spiders

By my reckoning, major engagements are ones that you might want to go into rested or rest after. Situational engagements, are ones that might be a major or minor engagement but for some mechanic, so the Windmill fight has enough mobs to bump up its difficulty, but unless you intentionally avoid attacking the leader you'll never really have to worry about it, or the Gnoll Flind Fight, it's pretty tough but if you take the high ground, well, maybe it's still a major engagement, but It still usually only warrants a SR for me. Minor engagements aren't enough on their own to force a SR or LR but might tip you over the edge with other fights.

How I designate these fights is pretty subjective the further away from the big ones you go, but those are the fights I typically take a long rest after.

With this in mind, I'd say I average 6-8 Long Rests each run, more if I want to be thorough. I've been skipping a few of the side bosses (usually the bog fights), but I'll always hit the Three Bosses, the Githyanki and make it to the Nere fight. And of course, if I'm a Wizard you can add another rest or two.

When Do You Long Rest
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/08/22 01:31 AM
How many long rests do you typically take during a run
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/08/22 01:33 AM
Last edited by Sozz; 02/08/22 01:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
I voted that I rest when my resources are used up. Not sure about the exact number, so I didn’t vote in that part of the poll.

veteran
veteran
The Underdark and Grymforge is what causes the bulk of the long rests.

I haven't played much of patch 8. Got to grove and stopped. In that game, still hadn't taken a single long rest. Used up my SRs and used Song if Rest. So it's coming soon. But it was certainly not hard to make it that far without resting once.

I'd say surface is in total like 4-6 LRs, and Underdark and Grymforge are like 6-8.

G
addict
addict
G
I use under 6 long rest for EA. From the beginning, you can go until L3 and the Druid Grove and Owlbear.

Rest after Blighted Village + Wood Woads + Redcaps + Hag Lair.

Rest after Gnolls, Tyr Toll Bridge Brigade, Waukeen's, Githyanki.

Rest after Goblin Camp is cleared entirely.

One rest in half of Underdark.

L
L
Very very few, but I've not played many spellcaster heavy groups where this matters more also. The main LR reason for most of my groups is out of healing - which is never really a thing because money is everywhere and potions exist.

There a few fights in the game which require a long rest afterwards. The only ones are where you burn everyone's spellbook down, and that only really applies to Gale and Shadowheart, Wyll - LZ and Astarion like using up all your SRs and need very few LRs. So parties that don't have SH and Gale, or a player character who casts, will not LR much if they play like I do.

I probably LR 2-3 times before underdark and grymforge, and 2 times there.

veteran
veteran
I take as many long rests as possible so that I don't miss companion interactions.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I take as many long rests as possible so that I don't miss companion interactions.

Oh yes! I used to do that a lot. Been a while since I cared, so not so much anymore.

addict
addict
I use as few long rests as possible, which is in part because I play mostly martial characters. I generally tend to avoid using many leveled spells and even my martial characters tend to use their powers sparingly due to my dislike of their flashy Vfx. Also, I generally don't use long rest while I still have short rests available.

I've also never been to the Underdark (aside from the Selunite outpost once in patch 1), due to the fact that I have strong dislike for the Underdark in basically every D&D game... be it video game or PnP. Therefore it's hard to say what effect it would have on my resting behaviour.

veteran
veteran
It's all about RNG, really. I've had times when my crypt fight went poorly and had to LR after. Then the harpy fight beat my party up pretty badly and I had to LR there as well.

And I'm not like some. Spider fight LR. Gith fight. LR. Heck, I've LRd before and after the Gith fight just to beat it. Same with the hag and the spider Matriarch.

It does depend on the party comp too and the player experience level with the game. New players will likely be forced to LR 24+ times by the end of EA, maybe even more.

The Underdark especially. Last time I did it, I remember thinking that I was long resting a lot more. Seemed like just about every fight. Especially the dang bulette. Man! That thing is brutal. I think Grym's easier than that thing.

journeyman
journeyman
I long rest whenever I think there might be a new companion scene... so I'd say I rest more than I need to recover all my resources.

If they fix the camp scenes so that you can trigger more than 1 per night, I'd rest less.

-N
veteran
veteran
I tried to rest as little as possible, as the game STRESSED me to do through the companions, only to feel betrayed by the fact that a) the urgency was completely fake and b) the game actually rewards the opposite. Resting as often as possible means you get more companion content. And resource management is not required in any shape or form. Talk about a 180. Clearly one of the absolute weakest parts of the game, and not in the spirit of D&D either.

Still, 8 patches later, waiting on Long Resting to become meaningful and to play D&D.

You could always talk to your companions in camp, or elsewhere, without actually Long Resting. Short Resting, perhaps.

veteran
veteran
I normally rest when I am out of resources, but that way I miss out on a lot of camp content, so in some runs I rest a lot more. I don’t know how I will play for 1.0. My amount of rests definitely increased, ironically since resting costs food, as now health is a limited resource.

6-12 seem right for a default run, but with Grymforge added I think that 13-18 is probably a safe estimate.

I must also say that it’s been a while since I played that far. These days I usually checkout before reaching goblin camp, once I reached level 4 and got a feel for new improvements.

Last edited by Wormerine; 02/08/22 07:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
I also tried long-resting as little as possible in my first playthrough. I don't think I realized how much I was missing until I read all the stuff here on these forums. If this were the final release and I was doing that, I have no idea how much content I'd ultimately miss before I figured it out. And that is really bad. I think long rests can be argued to be the worst-implemented system in the game. There are folks that argue "if you don't like the Larian homebrew, just don't use them" and while I think that's a flawed approach, you can in theory not do that. But if you want to limit yourself with long rests, then you're straight up punished by losing out on story content.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
But if you want to limit yourself with long rests, then you're straight up punished by losing out on story content.

This is true. Fortunately I'm not interested in the companions that are available in EA at all and at release I'll most likely go for a custom party anyway, so missing out on their stories isn't a big deal for me.

For anyone who wants to experience their stories though, constant long rests are pretty much mandatory.

I'm unsure how much else I miss with my approach to long rests though, I know the Raphael encounter requires a long rest after acquiring a certain coin. The dream stuff is another thing I'll never experience, since I don't use the tadpole aside from freeing Shadowheart on the Nautiloid. Missing out on that sort of story is bad design, as it has the potential for players to miss out on large parts of the game's overall story.

G
addict
addict
G
I have no desire for Origin stories. I have only briefly played with Wyll and Astarion once and I didn't even finish.

On the full release, I will have custom party. I don't care for Larian's imagination in my experience.

But for those that choose to, yes I can see how you must long rest often and that also keeps your resources high and it better for a casual player to not have to manage resources closely.

G
addict
addict
G
Ironically, the one Origin that interests me most is the one everyone seems to hate - Lae'zel.

I liked her and her story.

veteran
veteran
I rest when I'm out of ressources and I try not to burn them more than necessary. I also only use supply bags to long rest.

Having to manage my ressources makes turn based games way more appealing to me even if I have to create the rules by myself, which is something I really hate.

As a result I miss most of the companions content.
Probably resting 6-12 times/playthrough.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/08/22 08:20 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I'm resting, when necessary. I don't restrict myself and sometimes I even rest more than would be required to get all the story. They should separate the companion talks from LR, the way it is now, you potentially miss out a lot.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Definitely 24+ on a run...a run is huge.

I sleep repeatably at certain vendors to get specific stock.

I rest whenever a dialogue option becomes available..."We'll talk more at camp".

I will make a note to rest soon when companion's complain...another hint that an event or dialogue is ready.

I rarely feel the actual need to long rest with the exception of just completing a major encounter...such as the Gith...but seriously, who would carry on if the team is actually beat up. That never made sense to me. You would halt and patch up.

My 2 cents:

It's not how many rests that you can take, or even the food.

It's the fact that you insta-heal that feels off; unless resting just casts whatever healing spells you have available.

If you don't have a proper healer it could take more than one day's supplies to heal up, and the possibility of ambush increases the longer you tarry with scouts about.

Old school Gold Box games behaved this way.

Last edited by Van'tal; 02/08/22 10:53 AM.
veteran
veteran
I was thinking a lot, but in the end i deciced to pick "I take a long rest as soon as my resources are used up" ...

But it dont seem exactly acurate, just closer to reality than other options ...

I dont rest when *all and every* of my resources are used ... sometimes one of my chracters have burned all spellsots, and another still have half ... i dont push them to continue on adventuring, even tho they posibly could.
And also not exactly when i use my last spellslot either ... since i allready know EA areas better than my own house ... i know wich group i can attack using cantrips only, so sometimes i just metagame and keep adventuring even tho i dont have much to fight with.

I refuse to rest in order to trigger conversation lately, they are still the same so i kinda lost interest in them completely ...
When it gets to romance night, i find out that lately i enjoy to troll my companions ...persuate Astarion to beg and then rejects him, meet with shadowheart gulp her wine and leave ... its surprisingly fun. laugh

In second question i believe i picked 6-12 ...
As i said, with metaknowledge i dont see much reason to use spellslots in many combat situation, and if i REALLY wish to use something stronger, i usualy pick Scrolls or Short-rest restored features ...
Also, quite honestly it bothers me to rest in this game, so i kinda naturaly try to rest as little as possible, without litteraly restricting it.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard