Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I complained about that in the past... It is not even about balance... It is about being in line with the lore

Drow are hated/feared and they are light sensitive. They are not simply a dark skinned variant of elves...

Simply please focus more on being close to the source material and less into creating new problem: so the tadpole is making me see in daylight but it still affects true souls? But if it protects me from the environment then why not allowing me to breath underwater ?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I would like to have Sunlight Sensitivity implemented ...
Would be kinda frustrating tho, many people are allready complaining that they dont hit as often as they want to ... also feel free to corect me, but this would mean no Sneak Attack for Drow Rogues on surface?

To give a flavour of this without it being really frustrating (or needing a day/night cycle), it could be that drow only get disadvantage when standing in full sunlight out of doors. The game is already calculating the amount of light for stealth checks. It might be thrown by, e.g. torches and fires outside in daylight, but I don’t think that would be too noticeable. I think it would even add to the gameplay experience of a drow, actively looking out for shadows to lurk in. Though the game would need to give you better visual cues about what spots were shadowy without going into stealth, that would be desirable anyway.

EDIT 12/08: Well, after playing this game more hours than I care to admit, I have just realised that it's possible to press <left shift> and hover the mouse over an area to find out whether it's in full light, partial light or shadow, as well as to see vision cones while not in stealth, so the game is already doing more than I thought it was eek

By the way, is there a 5e spell that would counteract the disadvantage? Darkness affects darkvision doesn’t it, so unless you’re a drow warlock with Devil’s Sight that’s not going to help you.

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 12/08/22 10:08 PM. Reason: New facts

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
By the way, is there a 5e spell that would counteract the disadvantage? Darkness affects darkvision doesn’t it, so unless you’re a drow warlock with Devil’s Sight that’s not going to help you.

IIRC Elves don't have darkvision the same way a natural race does, but it's tied to their magical heritage where they can see part of the weave, so technically elves should lose darkvision if they're silenced, though I don't think this has ever been represented in game rules. I could be completely wrong though. I'm having trouble finding any info but I remember reading it once.

Edit: Elvish Darkvision is brought up in this video
at 8:50 by MrRhexx

Last edited by Swagnar; 12/08/22 03:23 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hmm, just got to the blighted village with my Lolth-sworn drow ranger, and the goblin leader specifically says the fact you’re a drow in the sun means you have a touch of the Absolute about you. Not that this is a reason to completely ignore normal race rules, but nice touches like this goblin automatically assuming that you’re on their side would need to be reworked, at least to some extent.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Hmm, just got to the blighted village with my Lolth-sworn drow ranger, and the goblin leader specifically says the fact you’re a drow in the sun means you have a touch of the Absolute about you. Not that this is a reason to completely ignore normal race rules, but nice touches like this goblin automatically assuming that you’re on their side would need to be reworked, at least to some extent.
And that's an incorrect comment. Somehow I feel larian are putting drows and vampires in the same bag. Vampire soawns are hurt by the Sun. Drows simply found it inconvenient and will need a long time to readjust to it (it took Drizzt a couple of month in canon novels). A drow being on the surface would be a rare sight, but the more likely explanation would be that he/she would work with minthara and standing in the sun would be irrelevant

Last edited by 7d7; 13/08/22 06:05 AM. Reason: Correcting autocorrect...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard