Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nicou Offline OP
Larian alumnus
OP Offline
Larian alumnus
Hey folks!

Lenny/Nicou here, I've started at Larian earlier this week and I'm going to work with the team as a Senior Community Manager.
I can't wait to get to know you more, you'll also get to know me... you can't avoid your fate 😏

Some details about me:
🔨 Big fan of dwarves; Their culture, language, and beers (mostly Tolkien).
✨ Love fictional languages such as Neo-Kkûzdul (dwarf), Xi'An (Star Citizen), Banu (Star Citizen), or some easier Triglavian (Eve Online), T'au (Warhammer 40k), and Thargoids or Guardians (Elite: Dangerous). Basically, I like to unravel mysteries & decrypt codes.
🎲 I play a lot of space & sci-fi games, strategy, simulation, and RPGs.
🛡️ In Baldur's Gate III, you'll mostly see me playing Tanks or Support roles.
💬 Communication is very important to me, and I'll do my best to keep up with your feedback, requests, messages, ... we have a great Community Team full of ideas & plans, so we won't let you down!
🥖 Surprisingly, as a French lad: I speak ze French. I live in Ireland. Auch, Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

See you soon cool

Retired Senior Community Manager - Baldur's Gate III & Larian Studios
â–º Twitter Nicou
veteran
veteran
Kaltxì, ma tsmukan. Zola'u nìprrte'.

Na'vi for Hello brother, welcome! smile

Nicou Offline OP
Larian alumnus
OP Offline
Larian alumnus
Lor a tsive'a ngat fìtsenge! o7

â–º Twitter Nicou
addict
addict
Salut Nicou,

Bienvenue sur le forum !

J'étais tenté d'écrire "Saluuuut nounou Nicou !" Mais ça marche uniquement si tu as regardé les Animaniacs en VF étant petit. Et même dans ce cas, je sais pas si c'est une super bonne blague en fait. Anyway, moving on.

I have a couple of questions.

What's your remit/mission/duties, as Senior Community Manager ? We haven't had a CM until quite recently. So what should we expect from you ?

And what are your communication plans ? Will you make a bigger introduction/announcement in the Baldur's Gate III > Latest News subforum ? Will you hold a formal Q&A at some point(s) ? Will you mainly lurk-and-post casually around here ?

I ... just noticed that Salo replied to some of theses questions in her introductory thread yesterday. I tend to check the Baldur's Gate III section a lot more frequently than the General section (and I suspect I'm not the only one). Hence why I mention Baldur's Gate III > Latest News as "bigger". I think posting there might be more visible than here in General > Chat (but maybe it would not, I don't know).

Also, since Salo mentioned mainly feedback : is there anything that we players could do to make feedback more useful, or easier to process ? Are there topics where feedback is particularly sought ? Are there topics Larian would consider putting to rest once and for all (Day/Night cycles, party size, etc), by letting us know when something is already set in stone ?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you and Salo around.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Greetings!

addict
addict
Hello and welcome!

And consider me signed under Drath Malorn message.
Please-please, talk to us. At this point I'm holding back some suggestions just because I'm not sure if the team needs/wants suggestions on solutions to known problems.

Nicou Offline OP
Larian alumnus
OP Offline
Larian alumnus
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
What's your duties as Senior Community Manager ? We haven't had a CM until quite recently. So what should we expect from you ?
*Put on sunglasses*
Saving these lands from evil. And for that, we will need a lot of dwarves. You in?
Alternatively I'm working with the Community Team, and the other departments at Larian, to develop the community (you).
This means working on ideas, plans, projects, to grow the community and consolidate the strategy behind Community Development.
As I just started this week, I will need time to acclimatise to the project, but you will definitely hear more about the Community team and our programs in the future smile

- And what are your communication plans ?
- Will you make a bigger introduction/announcement in the Baldur's Gate III > Latest News subforum ?
- Will you hold a formal Q&A at some point(s) ?
- Will you mainly lurk-and-post casually around here ?
- Communication plans: Patience young one, it will all come with time. As soon as we can, we'll share more details about BG3's development.
- No, Salo & I have presented ourselves on Discord & the forums. Now, let's work!
- It's in the Ideas basket, give us time to develop our plans and we will get there at some point.
- One of the Community Team's tasks is to collect your feedback, sentiment, bug reports, suggestions, ... to the development team. So you will see us hanging out with the community, as often as we can! laugh

Is there anything that we players could do to make feedback more useful, or easier to process ?
A clear thread's name
Keep it short & concise
Illustrated thoughts whenever possible
Examples if it's a bug report, as many details as possible
Keep it mind that there are lots of comments to read so the more digestable: the better! Thanks for your time and feedback!

Originally Posted by lolwut77
Greetings!
Hai!

Originally Posted by Zellin
Talk to us. At this point I'm holding back some suggestions just because I'm not sure if the team needs/wants suggestions on solutions to known problems.
That's... why I'm here . gif
We're always open to suggestions & feedback: post them in the appropriate forums and we will read them.
Even if we don't comment every threads, we will get our eyes peeled for new threads & comments.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your thoughts with us smile

â–º Twitter Nicou
old hand
old hand
Herzlich willkommen! cool

addict
addict
Thank you for your reply thankyou

Ffinaly gonna deal with illustrations and post.

addict
addict
Thanks for the answers, Nicou.

Originally Posted by Nicou
*Put on sunglasses*
Saving these lands from evil. And for that, we will need a lot of dwarves. You in?

I'm more of a Half-Elf myself. Otherwise, happily.

veteran
veteran
Welcome! Thanks for the above answers. I have 2 questions I was hoping you could answer:

1.) Related to @Drath Malorn's question on communication plans/ formal Q&A, are there plans to follow-up on this post?
Originally Posted by Jess Larian on May 12, 2021 (hotfix #11)
We will be back soon with a larger community update, that goes into some detail about how we process & parse feedback and data we get through talking with you, and the telemetry we have in the game. ‘Til then, sit tight!
We've never gotten such an update, which was fairly disappointing. (Even if your answer is "Patience, young one," I thought it'd still be good to put my support for this in the idea basket)

2.) Can you tell of us any popular-feedback mechanics that are 100% absolutely not going to be added to or changed in BG3, so that we know that additional feedback on said topic is useless? It'd be nice to hear the status of other topics in the BG3 Megathread section, at least, in addition to your comment on the current Reaction system efforts...

Nicou Offline OP
Larian alumnus
OP Offline
Larian alumnus
1) What would you be most interested in hearing about? No promise, but I'll keep that in mind!

2) That is unfortunately not something we can talk about at the moment, but rest assured: we are reading players feedback and nothing is useless smile

â–º Twitter Nicou
veteran
veteran
1.) Hmmm...I mean, everything? Haha. Very roughly ordered by my curiosity and/or how much I think it'd help guide future feedback:

In general, what is the process of using collected feedback and turning that into game decisions?
- What criteria are used to choose a feedback topic to investigate - frequency of feedback, compatibility with [Swen/Dev] vision, ease of implementation, etc?
- Does Larian pay more attention to broad feedback feelings (e.g., unhappy with system X) or specific suggestions (X should be replaced by Y because [reasons])?
- How does Larian deal with highly polarizing feedback - many people say they hate X and want it replaced by Y, but many other people say the opposite.
- Who makes these decisions?
- Are suggested feedback mechanisms mostly tested (even at a very basic level) before a final decision is made? Or is it common that feedback suggestions are rejected without testing, for whatever reason?

What types of telemetry are collected and how exactly they're used.
- Is telemetry is combined with feedback, or are they analyzed separately for the most part?
- How do Devs go from noticing X in telemetry to deciding how X (or other, related systems) need to be changed?

2.) Gotcha. That's understandable. Thanks anyway!

addict
addict
Welcome on the forum Nicou smile Good to know your team is up and running. Good lucke out there!

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
addict
addict
Hi Nicou,

I have a couple of remarks and questions.

Communication around "how Larian process & parse feedback, etc".

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Are there plans to follow-up on this post?
We will be back soon with a larger community update, that goes into some detail about how we process & parse feedback and data we get through talking with you, and the telemetry we have in the game. ‘Til then, sit tight!
1) What would you be most interested in hearing about? No promise, but I'll keep that in mind!

What I would be interested to hear about.

I'm overall fine with mrfuji3's answer.

But my answer would have been "well, everything was initially planned for this communication".

Context.

I realise that you (Nicou) were not yet at Larian when this announcement about a future communication was made. Which explains your somewhat-surrealist and certainly-surprising question.

So here's the context.

• From the start of Early Access, Larian's communication has been nearly non-existent. Players have kept asking for more and better communication.
  • Then, in the Hotfix Notes of 12th May 2021, Larian announced they would (finally!) communicate with us, in their next Community Update, and about how they handle feedback.
    You can look up the original post to see that players were pretty excited about this.
    Alternatively you can recall the reactions when you gave some semblance of information about the implementations of Reactions.
  • This announcement was followed by ... nothing. The much anticipated communication did not happen.
  • Players sometimes enquired about the status of this communication. To which Larian, faithful to what had been their behaviour since the start of Early Access, replied with a resounding silence.
  • And since the time you asked mrfuji3 what they would like to hear in that communication about how Larian handles feedback, still nothing has happened.

I hope that Larian's communication experts (... or a few of them, at the very least) do not believe that this sort of communication helps maintaining a healthy relationship with those who take the time to provide feedback. An objective which, on BG3's Steam page, Larian claims to have.

Additional question : what's the backstory behind this ?

It's a bit "meta", but should Larian ever get round to delivering this announced communication about how they handle feedback, I would be quite curious to know how things ended up going that much wrong with this specific part of their Early Access communication.

I can envision several hypothesis.

• Hypothesis 1 : sabotage. Someone wanted to piss their colleagues at Larian (or perhaps make Larian's reputation for communication sink deeper) and inserted some wild claim in the Community Update that Larian had no plan to honour.
  • Hypothesis 2 : it was honest mistake by a low-ranking PR person who is not in charge of crafting the communication policy. This communication was never meant to happen. When management caught wind of this, they called it off immediately.
  • Hypothesis 3 : Larian truly intended to talk to us about feedback. Sadly, the only person at Larian capable of handling that left the company. Larian was inconsolable and, in their upset, completely forgot about this. Or perhaps Larian believed that no one else on Earth would ever be able to pull it off.
  • Hypothesis 4 : it was actually green-lighted by the powers that green-light communications. But then something made Larian change their mind about it. So the plan was cancelled. Larian figured there was no need to inform players. Nothing fosters a healthy relationship like standing your players up, and then proceeding to ghost them.

These are just a few ideas, I'm sure one could come up with more possible explanations. I have no idea which one is more likely.

Side note : why telling people how feedback is handled would be a good thing.

Unless it is more appropriate to say "would have been a good thing" ? Anyway ...

Firstly, and for what it's worth, there is demand. I have seen a fair number of posts of people asking how to best submit feedback, how to make bug reports useful, where to submit feedback, etc.

Secondly, telling players how feedback is handled would probably be beneficial for everyone.

If Larian were to communicate clearly about how they handle (process, but mostly collect) feedback, that would allow players to learn what sort of posts are useless, or of low value.

A possible example are the brainstorming posts ("my new idea for Reactions, what do you think ?"), or more generally all player-to-player discussions posts. I don't know how much superficially or thoroughly the feedback collectors read those posts. I suspect that they quickly classify those posts as not immediately collectable/processable, and so not very useful, and they promptly move on to reading the next post.

For the players who are primarily interested in giving feedback (more than in discussing with the community), knowing which forms of posting are less useful means less time wasted.

For the moderators, less players replying to each other mechanically means less players arguing with each other, and eventually less moderation work to do. Also, better atmosphere on the forums.

For the feedback collectors, less low-value posts to read, even just superficially, means more efficient work.

It sounds like a win for everyone.

Thirdly, it would make Larian seem like they're actually interested in the players' (textual) feedback.

After all, if Larian really wanted to hear the players' feedback, and they wanted to make the collection easier for their feedback scoopers, and they wanted to be somewhat organised/efficient/committed about it, they would give the players some pointers and information about how they handle feedback. They did not do that. So

• they're not that keen in hearing feedback (beyond perhaps some very broad strokes), or
  • they don't care to make the job easy for their employees, or
  • they're not particularly organised/efficient/committed.

Personally, I don't doubt that Larian wants to collect feedback from the players, and I would rate the third possibility (poor organisation) as more likely than the second.

But it is easy to see how a fair number of players will think Larian just isn't really interested in feedback.

How Larian's communication has changed since two new Community Managers started.

Very little has changed in Larian's communication since the new Community Managers arrived, 3 months ago.

• Salo made essentially one intervention to make feedback collection visible.

One the hand, it's good. Previously, one could have been forgiven for thinking that the person in charge of collecting feedback for Larian, from the official forums, was The Composer.

On the other hand, it feels as if the intervention was made mostly to tick a box. As if "Make feedback collection visible" was on the list of things Larian wanted the new CMs do to.

We got a couple of "thank the player for their feedback" post (this is meant to show the existence of some Larian employee collecting feedback), and a pair of "ask the player a question about what they meant" post (this is meant to show that Larian cares about the feedback). Done. Box ticked. Next task.

And as this was essentially an isolated event, it does not feel as if things have changed (regarding feedback collection).

• You intervened in a discussion about Reactions, one of the most recurrent topics of feedback, and you gave some update about the status of this feature.

As you could see from the players' reactions after your post, this sort of communication was very welcome.

Your update was a fully non-committal statement that did not contain too much information. But at least it existed.

Since then, there has (sadly) not been any other such comment and update on the feedback. So, again, it does not feel as if things have changed (regarding acknowledging the main feedback topics and sharing updates about the status of the related features).

Beyond those two notable and much-welcome communications, there was ... nothing. Well, nearly nothing.

There were a couple of posts that don't really count.

• Advertisement for "job vacancies" for the PAX West Convention.
  • Update about the game's supported platforms, with Stadia going down.
  • Advertisement of the Brazilian-Portugese language for DOS2, if that's even worth listing in discussing Larian's communication about Baldur's Gate 3.
  • Advertisement of the release of Hotfix#29.

None of the above sounds like Community Management, nor like communications that would not have happened in the era before the arrival of two new CM.

Then there were couple of posts that honestly felt like putting out fires, when players complained too much that Larian was still as silent as before. These were followed by a small spike of activity : a couple of "thank you" posts here and there, and posting in the very safe "Who are you ?" thread. Those posts read as being integral part of the damage control intervention (i.e. putting a couple of forums post out there to remind people that, indeed, there are two CM on the forums now).

In summary, not much has changed in Larian's communication policy since they hired two Community Managers.

Which leads me to two remarks.

1) This lack of change reinforces the idea that Larian's low-communication policy is by design, and not by default.

I don't know the reasons that led Larian to choose to not engage with its players, but they must be very solid. So good that neither the requests for more communication, nor the complaints about the disappointing communication, nor the bad reputation that Larian has been earning on the communication front, have changed Larian's mind.

One could have believed that Larian finally hiring Community Managers (not one, but two !) was a sign that the communication philosophy would change. Clearly, it wasn't.

2) I also think that the label of Community Manager for the new PR folks is a source of confusion and wrong expectations. Larian should probably have give these positions another title.

SerraSerra's Image Macro in this post is pretty on point.

I don't know what is the exact set of tasks that Larian is assigning to you and Salo. For now, I have seen some promotion/marketing, product information, and feedback collection. But I haven't seen much in terms of actual engagement with the community.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 21/10/22 04:13 PM. Reason: typos
A
veteran
veteran
A
Hello. smile Have a good time. smile And since you are interested in languages : I can recommend reading the Beowulf. wink

Tolkien wrote about that. But - it's been written originally in Old Emglish. Therefore, reading it in in its original language isn't quite recommended, imho, unless you actuall know Old English. I read Tolkien's remarks about it, and that was heavy work indeed !

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi Nicou,

I have a couple of remarks and questions.

Communication around "how Larian process & parse feedback, etc".

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Are there plans to follow-up on this post?

What I would be interested to hear about.

I'm overall fine with mrfuji3's answer.

But my answer would have been "well, everything was initially planned for this communication".

Context.

I realise that you (Nicou) were not yet at Larian when this announcement about a future communication was made. Which explains your somewhat-surrealist and certainly-surprising question.

So here's the context.

• From the start of Early Access, Larian's communication has been nearly non-existent. Players have kept asking for more and better communication.
  • Then, in the Hotfix Notes of 12th May 2021, Larian announced they would (finally!) communicate with us, in their next Community Update, and about how they handle feedback.
    You can look up the original post to see that players were pretty excited about this.
    Alternatively you can recall the reactions when you gave some semblance of information about the implementations of Reactions.
  • This announcement was followed by ... nothing. The much anticipated communication did not happen.
  • Players sometimes enquired about the status of this communication. To which Larian, faithful to what had been their behaviour since the start of Early Access, replied with a resounding silence.
  • And since the time you asked mrfuji3 what they would like to hear in that communication about how Larian handles feedback, still nothing has happened.

I hope that Larian's communication experts (... or a few of them, at the very least) do not believe that this sort of communication helps maintaining a healthy relationship with those who take the time to provide feedback. An objective which, on BG3's Steam page, Larian claims to have.

Additional question : what's the backstory behind this ?

It's a bit "meta", but should Larian ever get round to delivering this announced communication about how they handle feedback, I would be quite curious to know how things ended up going that much wrong with this specific part of their Early Access communication.

I can envision several hypothesis.

• Hypothesis 1 : sabotage. Someone wanted to piss their colleagues at Larian (or perhaps make Larian's reputation for communication sink deeper) and inserted some wild claim in the Community Update that Larian had no plan to honour.
  • Hypothesis 2 : it was honest mistake by a low-ranking PR person who is not in charge of crafting the communication policy. This communication was never meant to happen. When management caught wind of this, they called it off immediately.
  • Hypothesis 3 : Larian truly intended to talk to us about feedback. Sadly, the only person at Larian capable of handling that left the company. Larian was inconsolable and, in their upset, completely forgot about this. Or perhaps Larian believed that no one else on Earth would ever be able to pull it off.
  • Hypothesis 4 : it was actually green-lighted by the powers that green-light communications. But then something made Larian change their mind about it. So the plan was cancelled. Larian figured there was no need to inform players. Nothing fosters a healthy relationship like standing your players up, and then proceeding to ghost them.

These are just a few ideas, I'm sure one could come up with more possible explanations. I have no idea which one is more likely.

Side note : why telling people how feedback is handled would be a good thing.

Unless it is more appropriate to say "would have been a good thing" ? Anyway ...

Firstly, and for what it's worth, there is demand. I have seen a fair number of posts of people asking how to best submit feedback, how to make bug reports useful, where to submit feedback, etc.

Secondly, telling players how feedback is handled would probably be beneficial for everyone.

If Larian were to communicate clearly about how they handle (process, but mostly collect) feedback, that would allow players to learn what sort of posts are useless, or of low value.

A possible example are the brainstorming posts ("my new idea for Reactions, what do you think ?"), or more generally all player-to-player discussions posts. I don't know how much superficially or thoroughly the feedback collectors read those posts. I suspect that they quickly classify those posts as not immediately collectable/processable, and so not very useful, and they promptly move on to reading the next post.

For the players who are primarily interested in giving feedback (more than in discussing with the community), knowing which forms of posting are less useful means less time wasted.

For the moderators, less players replying to each other mechanically means less players arguing with each other, and eventually less moderation work to do. Also, better atmosphere on the forums.

For the feedback collectors, less low-value posts to read, even just superficially, means more efficient work.

It sounds like a win for everyone.

Thirdly, it would make Larian seem like they're actually interested in the players' (textual) feedback.

After all, if Larian really wanted to hear the players' feedback, and they wanted to make the collection easier for their feedback scoopers, and they wanted to be somewhat organised/efficient/committed about it, they would give the players some pointers and information about how they handle feedback. They did not do that. So

• they're not that keen in hearing feedback (beyond perhaps some very broad strokes), or
  • they don't care to make the job easy for their employees, or
  • they're not particularly organised/efficient/committed.

Personally, I don't doubt that Larian wants to collect feedback from the players, and I would rate the third possibility (poor organisation) as more likely than the second.

But it is easy to see how a fair number of players will think Larian just isn't really interested in feedback.

How Larian's communication has changed since two new Community Managers started.

Very little has changed in Larian's communication since the new Community Managers arrived, 3 months ago.

• Salo made essentially one intervention to make feedback collection visible.

One the hand, it's good. Previously, one could have been forgiven for thinking that the person in charge of collecting feedback for Larian, from the official forums, was The Composer.

On the other hand, it feels as if the intervention was made mostly to tick a box. As if "Make feedback collection visible" was on the list of things Larian wanted the new CMs do to.

We got a couple of "thank the player for their feedback" post (this is meant to show the existence of some Larian employee collecting feedback), and a pair of "ask the player a question about what they meant" post (this is meant to show that Larian cares about the feedback). Done. Box ticked. Next task.

And as this was essentially an isolated event, it does not feel as if things have changed (regarding feedback collection).

• You intervened in a discussion about Reactions, one of the most recurrent topics of feedback, and you gave some update about the status of this feature.

As you could see from the players' reactions after your post, this sort of communication was very welcome.

Your update was a fully non-committal statement that did not contain too much information. But at least it existed.

Since then, there has (sadly) not been any other such comment and update on the feedback. So, again, it does not feel as if things have changed (regarding acknowledging the main feedback topics and sharing updates about the status of the related features).

Beyond those two notable and much-welcome communications, there was ... nothing. Well, nearly nothing.

There were a couple of posts that don't really count.

• Advertisement for "job vacancies" for the PAX West Convention.
  • Update about the game's supported platforms, with Stadia going down.
  • Advertisement of the Brazilian-Portugese language for DOS2, if that's even worth listing in discussing Larian's communication about Baldur's Gate 3.
  • Advertisement of the release of Hotfix#29.

None of the above sounds like Community Management, nor like communications that would not have happened in the era before the arrival of two new CM.

Then there were couple of posts that honestly felt like putting out fires, when players complained too much that Larian was still as silent as before. These were followed by a small spike of activity : a couple of "thank you" posts here and there, and posting in the very safe "Who are you ?" thread. Those posts read as being integral part of the damage control intervention (i.e. putting a couple of forums post out there to remind people that, indeed, there are two CM on the forums now).

In summary, not much has changed in Larian's communication policy since they hired two Community Managers.

Which leads me to two remarks.

1) This lack of change reinforces the idea that Larian's low-communication policy is by design, and not by default.

I don't know the reasons that led Larian to choose to not engage with its players, but they must be very solid. So good that neither the requests for more communication, nor the complaints about the disappointing communication, nor the bad reputation that Larian has been earning on the communication front, have changed Larian's mind.

One could have believed that Larian finally hiring Community Managers (not one, but two !) was a sign that the communication philosophy would change. Clearly, it wasn't.

2) I also think that the label of Community Manager for the new PR folks is a source of confusion and wrong expectations. Larian should probably have give these positions another title.

SerraSerra's Image Macro in this post is pretty on point.

I don't know what is the exact set of tasks that Larian is assigning to you and Salo. For now, I have seen some promotion/marketing, product information, and feedback collection. But I haven't seen much in terms of actual engagement with the community.

Besides the fact that stadia's demise means I probably wont enjoy bg3 on release, I still keep visiting the forums and I would like to add to your post by saying it really irritates me how the posts in the news section are locked, the obvious implication to me seems to be 'shut up please and go post your concerns somewhere else'. Specifically for the stadia wind down it would have been nice to be able to discuss alternatives with others under the main post rather than either not post or attempt to make a post that will get buried in the general subforum.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Will there be a physical release of BG3 for the PC platform ?
I'm still waiting for one for D:OS2. There is one for the PS4, but not for the PC. What do they have what we don't have ?

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Nicou Offline OP
Larian alumnus
OP Offline
Larian alumnus
Can't deny nor confirm at the moment, but we'll have much to say during the next Panel From Hell in December, so hold tight!

â–º Twitter Nicou
A
veteran
veteran
A
Okay, I'll keep my eyes open ! wink

--Dilbert cartoon

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard