Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Staden
Originally Posted by Tuco
In most cases if Larian would come out tomorrow saying "Yeah, we decided that a 4-men party blows unwashed ass because it doesn't give you many chances to interact with more companions" you'd have the same people jumping on the cart and switching their tune to "I'm glad they changed it, I prefer to control a larger party as well".
That is what really grinds my gears, the fact that so many just repeat the same debunked arguments in favour of a party size of four, would immediatly change their tune if Larian implemented a party size of six. It's almost as if they have a physical need to be on the perceived side of the developers.

Or maybe they just have a different opinion?

If so, they have yet to provide a valid argument.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
What mods are you using Rag?
You run three instances of the game in parallel for the custom characters, then use this save editing trick to expand the limit of your party up to 6 or even 8:

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Yup, exactly that. smile

Also i noted that even tho UI is able to contain 8 companions ... its certainly not created for them, once you recruit your 7th character, party window dont get wider, but you get small up and down arrows to slide.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
In King Arthur Knight's Tale you can press and hold the spacebar and the enemies movement/animation will speed up. Better yet make it an option for allowing animation speed. IIRC in pathfinder wrath of righteous, it has that option.
I would appreciate an ability to skip animations/accelerating combat dynamically - the game already plays too fast for my taste, with NPC doing their moves before the camara manages to pan over to them. I would prefer a cleaner, default experience with an ability to speed it up.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I would appreciate an ability to skip animations/accelerating combat dynamically - the game already plays too fast for my taste, with NPC doing their moves before the camara manages to pan over to them. I would prefer a cleaner, default experience with an ability to speed it up.
In general "skipping animations" or "moving in fast forward" may be useful options to have, and I know that in every tactical turn-based game ever made there's always a subset of "extremists" who would give up on ANY type of eye candy only to erode away few fractions of seconds.
Personally? I enjoy having something that looks good, so I'm not that far into "optimization".

What I'd advocate for on the other hand (aside for the obvious speed-up of the AI planning that I'm sure developers are already pushing as far as their capabilities allow for) is try to make things as "snappy" as possible in general.
For instance the Barbarian berserker animation could remain fundamentally unchanged in its visual appeal but just made few fractions of seconds shorter, the "Dash" could do without the 1-second-wasting Supersayan-inspired power-up, the jump could feel a bit more "smooth" and agile and less "stompy" and so on.

In some games I noticed that sometimes it's not even a matter how much time an animation takes, in general, as much as how quick it is to start or to give back control to the player after finished. Basically how responsive it feels.

Last edited by Tuco; 06/08/22 01:21 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
addict
addict
G
I feel like I'm fine with 4 because Larian's quality of life for many things making 6 just not fun to even imagine.

It's sad to say but many people asking for 6 aren't thinking about having to manage that in Larian's schema. It's just too cumbersome.

Maybe if you had 6 individual players.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
I feel like I'm fine with 4 because Larian's quality of life for many things making 6 just not fun to even imagine.

It's sad to say but many people asking for 6 aren't thinking about having to manage that in Larian's schema. It's just too cumbersome.

I mean, many people asking for six ALREADY played the game with six characters, since it's something you can do right now with some extra steps, and are just asking for Larian to smooth the edges a bit, so all these faux concerns à la "Be careful what you wish for" seem at very least inopportune/redundant.

That said, that the Larian default scheme is garbage (even with 4) and it doesn't make the process particularly pleasant is another side note, and MAYBE if that's the problem Larian could take a cue from the last two years of feedback on that specific topic and address it, as well.
I don't think a defeatist attitude helps anyone.

If nothing else, given that clearly the toilet chain is not going anywhere at this point, they could at least introduce a system for custom formations. Which is ANOTHER feature that was asked by many.

Last edited by Tuco; 06/08/22 02:51 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Tuco is right ... we ... or at very least some of us ... know exactly what are we asking for. smile
And we still want it. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
journeyman
journeyman
S

You would know very well that we have thought about controlling 6 characters with the current UI, if you paid attention to the numerous threads about this topic over the past year.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I just want 5 for diversity sake in my party, could roll with 6 though, Four works at a base level by my estimation but gives me no variety for classes as I always cover my base roles (Tank, Healer, Caster, Rogue) and while yeah maybe I could make the rogue a bard and get a little extra mileage out of 4 that way I find I prefer a 5th slot for something that can be fun without having to cover a core role. Six would give me alot more variety but might seem a bit cumbersome for my personal preference. But I would role with 6 if that was the party size.

But Four for me is basic setup.

Less than 4 and I feel like I am missing key components.

And while I fully well expect someone to mod a 5+ party and WILL use the mod. I would prefer Larian to code a 5+ party to avoid or at least cause less errors and code conflicts.

old hand
old hand

The sad thing is that most tried 6 and still want it to be implemented into the game. wink

The actual problem for me of having 6 is a question of difficulty/rebalance, still not answered sufficiently in hundreds of posts. The most common answer seems to be, "let difficulty as it is" and use the usual settings (like Story Mode, Easy, Classic, Hard, Masochist, Real Man, and so) to overcome the consequences of having 6.

journeyman
journeyman
Unless someone makes a mod for it I'm pretty sure they are sticking with the four. Sadly. frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by geala
The actual problem for me of having 6 is a question of difficulty/rebalance, still not answered sufficiently in hundreds of posts. The most common answer seems to be, "let difficulty as it is" and use the usual settings (like Story Mode, Easy, Classic, Hard, Masochist, Real Man, and so) to overcome the consequences of having 6.
Split exp.

veteran
veteran
I mean, I WOULD take a game mode balanced specifically for six if Larian was willing to offer it.
The point many of us are making is that IF the excuse is going to be "Too much work" THEN our reply is "Eh. Fuck it. Just give us some basic support for 6 and we'll take care of the rest".

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Split exp.
Is the correct answer… a Cookie for you!

S
old hand
old hand
S
Split exp.
Adding more party members doesn't decrease difficulty linearly. Some encounters could be trivialised just by having more tools to play with. An encounter made for a 4 members party simply isn't designed the same way as an encounter for 6.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
There's a saying among DMs: "If encounters are too easy, just add more goblins." Larian could just add a couple more foes to the encounters. Now that Larian has implemented the Swarm AI, longer turn times is no longer an issue. So I don't see the difficulty in balancing a six man party.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
Adding more party members doesn't decrease difficulty linearly.
Don't split exp linearly then?

But jokes aside, it's NOT that important, in case you missed it.
People already openly stated that they would be willing to "take the hit" to the overall balance as long as they can have it as an optional feature.
What we are discussing here are just "quick and dirty" fixes that can *mitigate* the issue, not achieve the perfect solution.

Originally Posted by Staden
There's a saying among DMs: "If encounters are too easy, just add more goblins."
Or give one extra "level" to one or two humanoid enemies or whatever else can apply, frankly.

The concerns about "keeping the perfect balance" are a bit of a joke in a game that is not exactly perfectly balanced to begin with.

Last edited by Tuco; 08/08/22 05:47 PM.

addict
addict
Split exp.
Adding more party members doesn't decrease difficulty linearly. Some encounters could be trivialised just by having more tools to play with. An encounter made for a 4 members party simply isn't designed the same way as an encounter for 6.
But if you get less xp, there will simply be a moment when the encounters naturally balance because you won’t have the levels a party of 4 would have.

It’s a pretty tried and tested mechanic. Does it work 100% of the time? No, but it’s a relatively easy initial fix.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Riandor
It’s a pretty tried and tested mechanic. Does it work 100% of the time? No, but it’s a relatively easy initial fix.
In the tabletop too, for the record.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Adding more party members doesn't decrease difficulty linearly.
Don't split exp linearly then?

But jokes aside, it's NOT that important, in case you missed it.
People already openly stated that they would be willing to "take the hit" to the overall balance as long as they can have it as an optional feature.

I am absolutely fine with Larian going wild with custom settings, I love being able to tweak a ini file to fit the game to my envies. I just want for Larian to pick a number, stick to it and design everything around it. Adding more options expose them to having to do more balancing, UI and gameplay work, and potentially a bad experience out of the box.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard