Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
I am wondering if it is something with my computer or systemic to BG3 atm. It takes an annoying amount of time to load back to a save game. And then once the save is actually loaded it takes forever for the world to re-render itself.

Is anyone else having this problem or had this problem. Please let me know how save loads are for you.

Thanks.

veteran
veteran
Not super fast, but it doesn’t take too long for the game to load for me. No graphical issues either. I am running it on a beefy PC from an SSD, though.

addict
addict
Yeah loading a save can take longer than I like (especially on later saves). I do have an SSD, but an older processor (FX). I suspect it’s a bottleneck. I am waiting for the AM5 motherboards to release b4 upgrading.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I was finding loading taking absolutely ages, like 5 or more minutes, back in patch 6. My system was recommended or better in most respects other than RAM, of which I only had 8GB. Once I bought more RAM, which I had been meaning to do anyway, loading speeds improved to around a minute. Which still isn’t great, and I suspect I do still have a system performance issue to get to the bottom of, but it’s a lot better than it was.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
It's slow for me as well, with loading times of over 5 minutes (depending on far into the game the save is).

addict
addict
Ngl i installed BG3 for the 3rd time since the early access release to check out the latest changes. And loading save games is actually not a problem at all(10 seconds max). Hard drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
addict
addict
I have the same issue. OP seems to suggest that clicking "continue" on the starting screen loads the game faster than re-loading a save from the options menu. I've noticed that as well, to the point where I'd rather restart BG3 entirely than reload a save.

Last edited by Flooter; 09/08/22 08:38 AM.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
addict
addict
I just use the time to peruse social media smile

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by virion
Ngl i installed BG3 for the 3rd time since the early access release to check out the latest changes. And loading save games is actually not a problem at all(10 seconds max). Hard drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB.

That’s so fast! I have a 1TB NVMe SSD (Western Digital rather than Samsung) and it still takes around a minute to load a save.

But as I mentioned before, it was taking 5 mins with that same drive until I increased my RAM from 8GB so it’s clearly not only the hard drive that can impact loading times.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

That’s so fast! I have a 1TB NVMe SSD (Western Digital rather than Samsung) and it still takes around a minute to load a save.

But as I mentioned before, it was taking 5 mins with that same drive until I increased my RAM from 8GB so it’s clearly not only the hard drive that can impact loading times.
I too have 8gb and still takes many minutes to load. Granted, I have BG3 on my HD not SSD (my SSD is smallish)

OTOH, having such looooong save load times makes me more cautious.

On the gripping hand, it really sucks when I am trying to make a vid to show something specific...

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Loading saves?
Shit. I can't even save without the game crashing so I can't even play really.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by magiccozmo

I too have 8gb and still takes many minutes to load. Granted, I have BG3 on my HD not SSD (my SSD is smallish)

OTOH, having such looooong save load times makes me more cautious.

On the gripping hand, it really sucks when I am trying to make a vid to show something specific...

Didn't think RAM could impact loading times but now that you say it it kinda makes sense. First loading is definitely a bit longer( around 20 seconds). But loading saves is almost instant. 20 gb ram.
Meanwhile my graphic card sucks to a degree you cannot comprehend ( Nvidia 950M)

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
This video might be quite interesting for you:

Part related to your question starts at 1:40 wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/08/22 10:24 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This video might be quite interesting for you

Thanks, interesting indeed. It also made me a bit interested in having a go playing Wyll as an origin character, which is a first!

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This video might be quite interesting for you:

Part related to your question starts at 1:40 wink

FYI , here is my vid of me reaching at the 'ceiling' of BG3.

(really hope they don't nerf box stacking, too much fun

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I was finding loading taking absolutely ages, like 5 or more minutes, back in patch 6. My system was recommended or better in most respects other than RAM, of which I only had 8GB. Once I bought more RAM, which I had been meaning to do anyway, loading speeds improved to around a minute. Which still isn’t great, and I suspect I do still have a system performance issue to get to the bottom of, but it’s a lot better than it was.

Just in case it’s useful info for someone else, thought I’d update to say that I’ve got to the bottom of one system performance issue I’ve been having with BG3. Turns out the problem was Game DVR in Windows 11 and once I followed the steps to turn it off as described at https://appuals.com/fix-low-fps-while-gaming-windows-11/, FPS improved drastically though unfortunately not loading times.

To help anyone diagnose a similar problem, what I was seeing was terrible FPS in DirectX 11 (i.e. less than five) and okay but not stellar FPS with Vulkan (mid forties). With Game DVR turned off, Vulkan FPS increased to the mid sixties and DirectX 11 to around fifty.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard