Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
I voted, but this post just seems like a circle jerk scenario, like you know what is going to be voted highest.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
I voted, but this post just seems like a circle jerk scenario, like you know what is going to be voted highest.

You'd be surprised to hear that some questioned this would be the result, then. Claiming that "few loud ones were speaking for everyone".
Which is probably the very reason the poll exists in the first place.

Last edited by Tuco; 08/08/22 06:49 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
I don't think prompt reaction is a good solution. Too many pop-ups slows down combat. I think WolfheartFPS had a good idea regarding this in that chosen enemy to react to would be better and not slow things down too much.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
Too many pop-ups slows down combat. I think WolfheartFPS had a good idea regarding this in that chosen enemy to react to would be better and not slow things down too much.
I am not convinced that's necessarily true. With multiple characters having to set up multiple reactions for specific characters it might get very tedious, or not that much different then it is now - meaning not getting bothered with it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
Too many pop-ups slows down combat. I think WolfheartFPS had a good idea regarding this in that chosen enemy to react to would be better and not slow things down too much.
I am not convinced that's necessarily true. With multiple characters having to set up multiple reactions for specific characters it might get very tedious, or not that much different then it is now - meaning not getting bothered with it.

A preset system doesn't mean that every combat you have to set new parameters for every character. Most presets would not change from encounter to encounter.

I set AOO preset for Gale to Off because I don’t want him wasting his reaction on it. He sucks at melee anyway. So AOO preset remains off for every encounter until maybe one occurs that I change my mind. Instead, I set Shield spell to On with a preset to only trigger if an enemy hits Gale. All Enemies. So, whether Magic Missile or any enemy shooting Gale or hitting with melee, he will cast Shield and ONLY if by casting it he will cause them to miss (so they hit by 5 or less). You took maybe 10 seconds to set your presets for Gale and don't change them from battle to battle because you really have no reason to.

I set Lae'zel's AOO to All Enemies and leave it as All Enemies for most encounters because she has no other reactions. Therefore, she will AOO on the first enemy who might trigger AOO in every encounter unless I am fighting against someone important - like let's say Ragzlin. In an encounter against him where I want to make sure he in particular doesn't get too close to Gale, maybe I switch it to AOO for specific targets like Ragzlin and maybe a few other heavy hitters. And that’s still a maybe that I'd switch it.

And let me point out that AOO would default to All Enemies in the beginning, so I might not ever mess with Lae'zel's reactions. We're talking very minimal player management here and pretty much the same results as constant prompt system where 9 out of 10 times you'd AOO anyway on the first enemy to trigger it because few actually trigger it in a single round anyway.

Shadowheart would be exactly the same as Lae'zel because she only has AOO as a reaction.

Wyll is the same as well. No other reaction but AOO.

Astarion is the same. Nothing but AOO.

The entire EA, up to level 4, you might change your presets a few times maybe, if at all because most battles you would not have a reason to. No pop-ups or prompts needed because you don't need them. You'd say yes every time anyway.

Now, at level 5, that's when you might get a few reactions that would be tricky, like Counterspell and Uncanny Dodge, and presets for these select few might take a bit more time to set ahead of time or might require a bit more tweaking during combat. However, we’re still not talking about gobs of time to manage them. A minute maybe on Counterspell if you can't decide which spells you do and do not want to be bothered with reacting against. "Should I counter Darkness? Should I not?"

And as stated numerous times, Uncanny Dodge could take no time at all to set a standard preset that handles your reaction. You may or may not turn off AOO at this point and set Uncanny Dodge to only trigger if damage done to you is above a value that you set. BOOM. Done. 10 seconds maybe?

My point is that we're not talking "multiple characters having to set up multiple reactions for specific characters" unless YOU actually want to use that Selected Targets preset for some reason. Not every encounter would require such reaction finesse.

S
stranger
stranger
S
This sounds like a giant headache tbh.

veteran
veteran
@GN4Him I responded to Wolfhearts idea, which if I remember correctly was pinpointing which enemies we want to react to.

What you describe sounds more like custom AI from dragon age or Deadfire which is not something I personally enjoy, but would definitely help in utilizing reactions a bit more effectively.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
As a curious question...

With the current system does anyone find any skills/spells related to reactions to be particularly useful? I have only done about one and a half play throughs, but after trying out the reactionary stuff I ended up just flat out ignoring all skills/spells related to the system as they seemed kind of useless.

Is that the general consensus or should I have dabbled in them more?

S
stranger
stranger
S
I wouldn't say useless so much as unreliable and fiddly to work with.

Which in terms of usability is the same thing.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
As a curious question...

With the current system does anyone find any skills/spells related to reactions to be particularly useful? I have only done about one and a half play throughs, but after trying out the reactionary stuff I ended up just flat out ignoring all skills/spells related to the system as they seemed kind of useless.

Is that the general consensus or should I have dabbled in them more?

Current system doesn't really have many skills/spells related to reactions. It's mostly Attack of Opportunity.

But reactions CAN save your entire party from being wiped if Larian implements them well. That is the reason for the intense discussion on it. I guarantee you'll want Counterspell at level 5+ if Larian decides to throw some higher level spellcasters at us with Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Stinking Cloud, Cone of Cold and the like. Suddenly, reactions will be VERY important.

veteran
veteran
I absolutely vote for Solasta style. I want to control what my party members are doing. I agree to what Niara said in another thread.
1.) Moments where you are spammed with pop-ups are rare.
2.) When they happen I absolutely want to chose which of the many options I use for the one reaction I have per turn.

It is nice to have some automatic choices, but no automatic system will be perfect and chars will always do something you don't want them to do.

I rather want to be asked if I make an AoO or a counter spell this turn than to select all the time if my char should do one or the other automatically.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
With the current system does anyone find any skills/spells related to reactions to be particularly useful?

I always have Wyll learn and cast Hellish Rebuke when I have him in the party. I expect there are better spells from a pure performance perspective, but I find it effective at taking out enemies attacking him as well as thematically appropriate.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco

You'd be surprised to hear that some questioned this would be the result, then. Claiming that "few loud ones were speaking for everyone".
Which is probably the very reason the poll exists in the first place.

Interesting, guessing its just me remembering the pages upon pages on the same topic and only a handful was against it. It has been a while.

veteran
veteran
Interesting, guessing its just me remembering the pages upon pages on the same topic and only a handful was against it. It has been a while.
Well, you could argue that they are probably just a handful. But they will also proudly claim to represent the silent majority and will warn everyone on the opposing faction to "not speak for everyone", weirdly enough.

Ok, I'm done being smug about this shit. Probably. For the next few hours.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard