OP Offline
journeyman
M
I really love druid's brain puppy powa.

S
addict
addict
S
I love the warlock's ability to teleport to other infected people. I get it every time laugh

veteran
veteran
Not using the tadpole... so I can't say.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Same for me.

Why would I even want to use the powers of a parasite that was implanted into me by my captors and that could (and for all I know will) turn me into an Illithid? The only time I'm actually using the tadpole is on the Nautiloid to free Shadowheart, since that makes sense from a RP point of view.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Same for me.

Why would I even want to use the powers of a parasite that was implanted into me by my captors and that could (and for all I know will) turn me into an Illithid? The only time I'm actually using the tadpole is on the Nautiloid to free Shadowheart, since that makes sense from a RP point of view.

Because....you like tentacles? Like.... it's a valid explanation.

Last edited by virion; 10/08/22 10:04 AM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
If I had to pick one, it would definitely be Lae'zel's Illithid whip. Pulling enemies far above her and seeing them go splat is so fun laugh

The most disappointing though is the Barbarian. Utterly useless.

veteran
veteran
To be quite honest i dont think i like any of them too much ...
Warlock is kinda neat ... but nothing special, since you can jump only once and only towards other party member. :-/
But i really love that Nightcrawler animation, when i use it with my Tiefling. :3 laugh

If i would pick the worse ... that would be easier, to me that is Ranger.

Originally Posted by Kendaric
Why would I even want to use ...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
(Sory, this forum really uses images as big as they can be.)

With emphasis on the word *you* ...
Personaly i really love tormenting Shadowheart with this (since your party gets mad at your companion, every time they use the power), but if you (as a player) REALLY want to have your tadpole powers, but your character would NEVER EVER EVER ... ever ... use that power, bcs its scary and dangerous ... all you need to do is let one of your companions fall for it. laugh
For example Astarion or Wyll makes perfect scapegoat ... since they both are overcomfident about themselves, and dismissive about dangers of tadpole. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/08/22 10:36 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
i think the Bard power can be good against a boss fight but i've only used the tadpole system once just to see what happened story wise

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
I don't think any sensible person would like the idea of a parasite in their brain much, and it's unknown what using those powers does to their health. And the magic involved, perhaps you can be mind controlled or killed at any time. Hence not using the powers and getting it removed at the first opportunity. Save for perhaps Astarion, but I never have him in my party because the whole vampire storyline is so cringe.

I will be very annoyed if the tadpole can't be promptly removed because Larian decided for me that I need fun powers, and that's all the tadpole is without any drawbacks.

old hand
old hand
I haven't yet used ranger's and barbarian's power, but from all that I've used psionic pull seems the most fun.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I will be very annoyed if the tadpole can't be promptly removed because Larian decided for me that I need fun powers, and that's all the tadpole is without any drawbacks.
With tadpoles being source/bhaalspawn essence I am willing to bet that we are stuck with them for the entire game. At the end of act1 we will learn what the tadpoles are really for, like we learned there is more to us being sorcce users in D:OS2. The rest of the game will follow from that.

As to OP. I used tadpol and gained access to its powers once. Can't remember quite what it was.

Last edited by Wormerine; 10/08/22 03:49 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by 1varangian
With tadpoles being source/bhaalspawn essence I am willing to bet that we are stuck with them for the entire game. At the end of act1 we will learn what the tadpoles are really for, like we learned there is more to us being sorcce users in D:OS2. The rest of the game will follow from that.
Already in EA, if you use the tadpole enough times you become a mind-controllable True Soul (The Absolute tries to control you on the bridge, nearly succeeds, and Shadowheart comes along with her d20-shaped Deus Ex Githyan-kina to save the day.) But logic and self-preservation aside, the player is incentivized to keep using the tadpole (not only for the powers but for easy conflict resolution & to get info on the team's supposed enemies). So I believe the game will push for illtihid wisdom checks to hook most players by the time of the 'grand reveal'.

Maybe a few players will be at 0 tadpole dreams, and they will get some sort of funny subverting expectations scene (like actually sitting down to eat Raphael's food) but for everyone else, I expect some grand climactic moment full of dramatic tension, painful choices, etcetc.

On topic: my favorite tadpole power is a tie between the knockback + dmg from the Underdark quest and the cleric's on death heal. It's a decent oh shit button, but would be even better if it scaled with level.

-N
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Neleothesze
Already in EA, if you use the tadpole enough times you become a mind-controllable True Soul (The Absolute tries to control you on the bridge, nearly succeeds, and Shadowheart comes along with her d20-shaped Deus Ex Githyan-kina to save the day.)

I got that exact same scene and haven't ever used the tadpole power. I have a feeling it's going to be a fairly railroaded experience with all "choices" leading to one or two outcomes.

veteran
veteran
Already in EA, if you use the tadpole enough times you become a mind-controllable True Soul (The Absolute tries to control you on the bridge, nearly succeeds, and Shadowheart comes along with her d20-shaped Deus Ex Githyan-kina to save the day.)
That cutscene triggers when you reach an exit from the map and happens regardless of your choices - not only regardless of you using the tadpole, but even meeting Shadowheart and the weapon.

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
That cutscene triggers when you reach an exit from the map and happens regardless of your choices - not only regardless of you using the tadpole, but even meeting Shadowheart and the weapon.

IIRC Larian has stated that they want to make sure you have the funky box no matter what you do.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by magiccozmo
IIRC Larian has stated that they want to make sure you have the funky box no matter what you do.
Ah, BG3's version of Solasta's
1. Take the Crown 2. Take the Crown 3. Take the Crown 4. Take the Crown
Noted. I sure love this kind of storytelling... rolleyes /s And here I thought it was actually related to my ingame choices. Well, you learn smth new every patch. smile

-N
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
OF the classes I've played I like The fighter one the best. It's 100% reliable.

Wizard one - not used if you're not targeted for 2 rounds. Would enjoy it more if it had a longer duration.

Cleric - Heals someone if they die, but you can use that action / bonus action to heal them prempetively instead. I don't get it. Would be better if it had a longer duration.

Warlock - misty step light

Fighter - 100% pull gurantee (at least in my experience). Close gaps, save your allies from using a disengage, unique vs other abilities.

I haven't played every class though. Maybe others are better.

L
L
Huh? What's a tadpole power?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by lamaros

@lamaros sorry, I couldn't help myself. laugh It's not a perfect fit but...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Tadpole powers are class-specific powers you get after using the illithid tadpole enough times & with enough long rests to get several dream cinematics.

There is an additional, generic tadpole power the player can grt by completing an Underdark quest. These powers are 1 use/rest but some people said you get more uses (or SR vs LR) if you progress enough to get the True Soul tag (after the dream sequence where you confess to the Mysterious Guest that you want to hurt him/eat him and he says "I know. But you'll keep fighting, won't you?") I don't remember that but I just didn't use them often enough for the CD to matter.

-N
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by lamaros
In case that's a genuine question and not sarcasting comment, if you use tadpole in one of the available conversation checks, you will be rewarded with class specific power.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard