Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#825437 05/08/22 10:27 PM
OP Offline
We have amazing graphics, detailed characters and environment, but we don't a proper camera view to look at it. Imagine having a camera mode like this for exploring
[Linked Image from vgtimes.ru]

It'd much more immersive, seeing the grove not from above, walking into burning Waukeen's Rest, strolling through the Underdark

Just imagine. It will be modded i'm sure, but why not add it in

add hexblade warlock, pls
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I confess I've seen posts about camera angles and so on before but never really paid attention as it wasn't a priority for me, but now that I've played the game more I'd agree it would be great to have the ability to explore in a more over the shoulder camera view. The view zoomed in centred on the controlled character we already have is fine in my opinion, as per below screenshot, but I've been trying to explore in the blighted village zoomed in like this to appreciate the detail of the environment and it's a bit of a faff to move around using mouse clicks at this level of zoom, especially when barrels, companions, or other stuff in the foreground get in the way of the ground you want to move to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I actually don't think it would take much beyond being able to map some keys, such as the cursors or W, A, S & D, to move the currently controlled character back and forth and either turn or move them left and right. But of course Larian have to consider other controllers and platforms, and I've already had to edit this post twice three four five six seven times because I realised I was talking nonsense about what changes would be needed to make this work, so possibly it's far more complicated than that!

Does anyone know whether there has been any previous discussion or Larian comment on this topic?

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 13/08/22 03:26 PM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
O
stranger
stranger
O
Agreed it would be nice.

veteran
veteran
+1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
but I've been trying to explore in the blighted village zoomed in like this to appreciate the detail of the environment and it's a bit of a faff to move around using mouse clicks at this level of zoom, especially when barrels, companions, or other stuff in the foreground get in the way of the ground you want to move to.
That's why I prefer to hold LMB to move and use "QA" to turn the camera. I had some dynamic camera and control requests in my recent feedback post, that I think would make moving around a bit more smooth.

Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
I actually don't think it would take much beyond being able to map some keys, such as the cursors or W, A, S & D, to move the currently controlled character back and forth and either turn or move them left and right. But of course Larian have to consider other controllers and platforms, and I've already had to edit this post twice three four five six seven times because I realised I was talking nonsense about what changes would be needed to make this work, so possibly it's far more complicated than that!
I do wonder how tough it would be to make WASDa system that wouldn't feel completely garbage without a completely new set of animations and physics. They will be developing (have for stadia?) controller support so if a character can be moved using a stick, surely it should be adaptable into WASDa. I feel though, that polishing controls that we have would be a time better spent rather then trying to implement yet another control scheme.

Last edited by Wormerine; 13/08/22 09:02 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
My issue with the camera involves It regularly getting stuck on geometry, or not being able to see an elevated surface I'm trying to move to without difficulty. That said. I'd definitely like there to be a follow camera like Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 had, where you could change how you moved around with the push of a button.

Link Copied to Clipboard