Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
the suggestion was:
Originally Posted by JandK
I really think the game should offer a free feat to all characters at level one.
Feel free to corect me in my english, but as far as i ... "know" (for the lack of better word) offerings are usualy refuseable. smile

So ... logicaly, there should be option "no thank you".
"Offer" here is being used synonymously with "give," a standard phrasing when talking about video game rewards/level ups. E.g., DOS quests "offer" a choice of rewards, but you still need to pick one.

The intent was obviously that it's a mandatory selection just as every other character option.

veteran
veteran
/shrug ...

Thats not how i read it ...
Anyway! Since we hardly can give any proof about how would Larian implement something they didnt ...

Hy po the ti ca lly ... would you mind "option" to pick Feat on lvl 1 ... presuming it would aply for PC only and presuming you would have option to refuse any? smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 13/08/22 09:06 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
2 things:

1) If it is legitimate to question necessity of requests ... then it should be perfectly legitimate to question necessity of denying those requests, based on exactly same precedent.

2) It dont "precisely mirroring existing content" ...
Bcs Variant Human get reduced Ability Scores improvement, and (more importantly) its for single race only (Or at least i never heared anyone around here talking about Variant Tiefling, Half-Orc, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Githyanki, etc.) ... it dont even exclude that missing content, bcs as it was said, Variant Humans would simply get two feats instead of one > Ballance restored. wink

1. You are correct and an obvious answer to validate or deny such request would be the PHB.

2. That's my point before having variant everything e.g. variant half-orc or other frivolous additional content e.g. a GDR. It is legitimate to get the variant human, first. There wouldn't be a balance restored: variant being only human is the actual core game. I will argue I d rather have Tasha caldron of everything content implemented (with new subclasses etc...) Before custom content. Lastly this is typically what mod should be catering for.

7d7 #826706 14/08/22 07:02 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 7d7
1. You are correct and an obvious answer to validate or deny such request would be the PHB.
Yes you said that before ...
And my question was: Why?

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Because Larian said, pitched and obtained to do Baldur's Gate 3 with the PHB from 5e as source material ? (Hence the name, your argument would be valid for DOS 3 of course)

veteran
veteran
Yup, a "source material" ... not "the one and only" source material, and certainly not "just 5e PHB, completely unchanged and nothing else" ...
My question stands unchanged.

You can have exactly what you want ...
Others can have exactly what they want ...
Why do you care what they have?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 14/08/22 07:54 AM.

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Because I prefer the source material to be implemented first, and discuss custom content second. (I ll argue this to be... Logical?)

As per why can't everyone desire can be implemented in one game: simple a. Larian has a finite amount of resources so I would be frustrated for a custom addition to take precedence over source material b. If every custom content is implemented then game would lack cohesion (e.g. your variant demi-orc is no more valid than my GDR sentient construct)

Last edited by 7d7; 14/08/22 08:10 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 7d7
2. That's my point before having variant everything e.g. variant half-orc or other frivolous additional content e.g. a GDR. It is legitimate to get the variant human, first. There wouldn't be a balance restored: variant being only human is the actual core game. I will argue I d rather have Tasha caldron of everything content implemented (with new subclasses etc...) Before custom content. Lastly this is typically what mod should be catering for.

You can have exactly what you want ...
Others can have exactly what they want ...
Why do you care what they have?

I want to point out that what he's arguing for is to get what he wants first, with his argument being, it's the source material so Larian should aim to implement it first before anything else. An argument I'm not against even though I'm mildly in favor of the free level one feat.

However I do personally feel like no, everyone can't get what they want, because implementing everything everyone wants from this game isn't possible. That would require time and money that Larian probably doesn't have, becase it would require a hell of a lot of time and money. To satisfy those who want something loyal to D&D, a number of changes would hve to be made that would have knock-on effects throughout everything in the game. Larian at some point has to pick a lane, and it seems fairly apparent that they already have. Some people won't like it, but that's fine. Not every game is for every person and it shouldn't be on the player to craft a game themselves into something they'll enjoy. I don't say this to advocate for one side over another, but to think that Baldrs Gate 3 is going to be some ultimate game that can give everyone everything is a pipe dream.

As just one example, let's look at those who want monsters to be faithful to D&D stats. if Larian does that, then they need to rework a number of encounters throughout the first act to get the powerlevels right. If they implement an option for that, then they effectively have to create two different sets of encounters in a lot of places. Then they have to factor in weapon abilities, how their homebrew thingscan impact difficulty of encounters, etc.

veteran
veteran
Oh come on people stay on topic ...
When i say "everything" in topic about level 1 feats, im (suprisingly?) talking about level 1 feats ... so dont bring any stats, or weapon abilities ... focus. -_-

For two ... i was expecting "resource" excuse to be used sooner or later, and note that i say excuse, not argument ... bcs that is simply not our business.
We are supposed to say Larian what would we like ... and they then decide if they like it aswell, or not ... and if they (not us) will (read as: can) implement it or not.

Since we all know from Swen himself that they spend quite conciderable amount of time and resources trying to figure all possible ways to give us Shadowheart's Mysterious Box ... instead of just puting it on piedestal on Nautiloid and give us "it flows towards you as you approach closer" ...
If we can learn single thing for certain from this information, is that Larian dont give a shit about what something they want will cost. :P laugh

As for wanting things first ...
We were told again by Swen himself that they will keep races hidden from us til final release, so we have at least some surprise ... so (again logicaly) IF there even will be Variant Human, it would likely be revealed by the release.
Also it once again sounds like a lame excuse, bcs argument were not "do that later" ... it was "dont do that at all".

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Resource was the first valid argument, second argument was about starting by implementing the source material (I do hope as well we will get variant human). Third argument that you ignored is that you cannot implement anyone idea without inducing some form of chaos.

The DnD ecosystem isn't perfect. 5e isn't perfect. But even if variant human where there I would rather have larian work on Tasha caldron of everything content and have non-core ideas such as variant everything implemented through a mod.

The reason we do have a Phb is to have a reference. So it isn't chaos. It is THE reference. Doesn't mean it can't be modded or, better said, home-brewed. I can see mods as being a great source of homebrew content. And I hope larian would enable modding. I ll argue people motivated by such a simple change should actually implement it themselves.

Last edited by 7d7; 14/08/22 01:33 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard