Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Flight should be different, allow hovering, move vertically and such. Sam goes for climbing, spiders (for example) and perhaps some other creatures should be able to climb walls, walk on ceilings and move in many different ways.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Not just that, fix the damn ladders. Around 40% of the time my char will run up the ladder just to go back down without me doing anything and it’s infuriating. Makes stealth in certain sections fail and get caught as I time it, guess what your moving down and bam your in combat. Feels awful

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Not just that, fix the damn ladders. Around 40% of the time my char will run up the ladder just to go back down without me doing anything and it’s infuriating. Makes stealth in certain sections fail and get caught as I time it, guess what your moving down and bam your in combat. Feels awful

+1

veteran
veteran
How disappointing would it be in a game with such a massive focus on verticality, if you couldn't fly or hover properly in the final release? No fly or levitate to get out of reach of melee enemies?

Scouting with a Raven familiar feels terrible when you're jumping instead of flying. You can't fly over a group of goblins. You have to jump on the ground right in the middle of them.

And climbing should be the means for PCs to get to higher elevation, not jumping around with superhuman strength like Spiderman. Jump distances are ridiculous in BG3, especially height.

veteran
veteran
I just don't understand sometimes what is happening. Solasta had Levitate and Fly in EA immediately. It was so freaking cool and IS so freaking cool to fly around the map hurling spells at enemies. My sorceress was freaking unstoppable.

Wouldn't be so in BG3 since every melee monster now has ranged attacks, or so it seems.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Someone in a different thread about vertically mentioned how in Solasta(haven't played it) you can aim aoes like fireball at different heights so as to avoid friendly fire in the blast radius.
I do hope more is planned for Larian's implementation of vertical control and usage. Just being there for shoving really is a waste of the game's vertical space.

veteran
veteran
Being able to free-aim your cones and lines, and pin-point floating points for ranged AoEs in Solasta is wonderful - it's everything you could really hope for since it gives you real tangible tracking for all those table-top moments where you say "Okay, but if I angle my cone of cold up, like this, I won't hit my friends, but it'll still hit the giant, right DM?" And you can check it, and actually do it.

veteran
veteran
Check this out:
Some people had really good ideas there!

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=776406#Post776406

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
The more I think about BG3 as an overall production the harder it gets for me to make full sense of it.

On one hand it’s CLEARLY an extremely ambitious project that is pulling no punches and sparing no expenses in several areas.

On the other hand at times it seems like its focus is all over the place, the budget spent in the most puzzling and ineffective ways.

It’s like watching someone bragging about his new alloy wheels on a custom car that still lacks tires.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/08/22 11:21 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
On the other hand at times it seems like its focus is all over the place, the budget spent in the most puzzling and ineffective ways.
Alfira's song scene with a bazillion variations and cutesy talking squirrels, rats and eloquent deep rothe, yet missing a basic feature like day/night cycle comes to mind.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by AusarViled

+1 from me too. At the very least the basics should be fixed, though I also thought fly and spider walking were so cool in Solasta.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Ladders should be useful choke points.
1.) You should be able to block off ladders by positioning a character at the top/bottom of ladders
2.) It should take movement to climb ladders. I'd prefer half speed, but even full speed would be a vast improvement over now.

This would allow interesting gameplay around ladders.
- Shove someone off a cliff? They can't just spend their 30 ft move to walk 20 feet, climb a 20-foot ladder (for free), and then walk 10 feet to attack you.
- Put ranged characters on top of a cliff and your tank at the bottom of a ladder. Now your tank can actually do their job - preventing enemies from reaching your squishies.
- Character ends their turn halfway up a ladder? They can be shot at, maybe even falling with a failed Str or Con ST.

Climbing walls in general would be cool, although this would need to be at a reduced speed (unless you had a climbing speed) or it'd break the game. Enemies are in a fortified, elevated position and blocking the ladder up? Cast Spider Climb on your barbarian and send him directly up the wall!

With the new Swarm AI, I can see a fight where you're facing like 30+ goblins attacking e.g., the Druid Grove. Half of them are trying to break down the gates, and the other half are slowly (at quarter speed) but steadily climbing the walls. You're doing your best to prevent them from gaining a foothold; desperately attacking and trying to knock of goblins that are close to the top while also trying to deal with the goblins at the gate.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
1.) You should be able to block off ladders by positioning a character at the top/bottom of ladders
+1

Totally agree with this and that's how it works in DOS2. Granted it blocks all characters not just enemies and it can be a little annoying if you want to pass a party-mate and you don't have the right initiative so that could be why they left it out. Though I think you be able to code it so you can pass but enemies can't but I'm not a programmer.

Last edited by FuriousGreg; 15/08/22 02:55 PM.
old hand
old hand
It works exactly the same now in bg3. If your character stays next to the ladder it will block the passage. Experienced it in a fight with Polma and Gut yesterday.

old hand
old hand

Once you're at the top, you can simply destroy the ladders, then opponents can only get up with spells like Jump or Misty Step and use ranged weapons.

Originally Posted by OcO
Someone in a different thread about vertically mentioned how in Solasta(haven't played it) you can aim aoes like fireball at different heights so as to avoid friendly fire in the blast radius.
I do hope more is planned for Larian's implementation of vertical control and usage. Just being there for shoving really is a waste of the game's vertical space.

Oh dear, there are probably bugs inevitable. I can already see burning surfaces hanging in the air...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 15/08/22 03:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
It works exactly the same now in bg3. If your character stays next to the ladder it will block the passage. Experienced it in a fight with Polma and Gut yesterday.
Oh great!

a.) Were you at the top or the bottom of the ladder? I wonder if there's a difference...
b.) Given BG3's instant-ladder-movement, does standing at one end of the ladder block characters from getting on from the other end? I presume not...

veteran
veteran

Except in BG3, the goblin uses a roaring thunder arrow to force throw your tank away, and likely off a cliff, then climbs the ladder and shoves your other character off the roof and off a cliff too - all of which there is precious little you have any ability to do anything about, because they rarely fail to shove casters and there's no save on being thrown by the roaring arrows, even if they miss you entirely.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Oh great!

a.) Were you at the top or the bottom of the ladder? I wonder if there's a difference...
b.) Given BG3's instant-ladder-movement, does standing at one end of the ladder block characters from getting on from the other end? I presume not...

Unless changed, I was able to block the bottom of a ladder as I recall. However I believe you could not do it from the top. The unit will climb up(or down if you are blocking the bottom from enemies above) and slide around the blocking unit to an open spot. If a unit can get on the ladder it doesn't seem you can stop them from using it and exiting.

addict
addict
<Verticality> is highly overrated.

veteran
veteran
The fact that Fly hasn't been implemented in this game at all makes me really sad. I'm telling you, it's a huge disappointment. It is SO much fun in Solasta. I LOVE flying around in that game. It's one of the first spells I get as soon as I can get it.

Fly would make BG3 so much more intelligent. There could be SO many uses for it. SO many uses. It adds an entirely different element to the strategy of the game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard