Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
There's nothing left from the good old Larian which made DOSII.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Ah yes, there is indeed a problem with overly sensitive, humorless victimhood mentality types, who read too much into things. Hope Larian doesn't pay too much heed to those...

"Tribe?"
S
old hand
old hand
S
Oh no! They made a joke about the most cookie cutter race with the most cookie cutter look is the most picked character in a fantasy game! My white man privileges are obviously attacked there!

Get off the internet, it is rotting your brain.

Last edited by snowram; 23/08/22 08:52 AM.
Support
Support
That was a joke, from an update almost 2 years ago (literally the month you joined the forum).

The point in specifically mentioning horns and red eyes, etc, was to encourage people with no firm preferences on characters to consider trying non-human races.

In that update, no mention was made of gender or skin tone. There is no reactivity to skin tone in the game, and a minority of female characters is still enough to test the voice and dialogue options.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@ OP: How fragile of you ... I bet you're a real nice fedora wearing guy with a lot of lady friends IRL...

Besides the obvious bait, I actually do think that in hindsight the original joke/message from Larian is quite telling of the discrepancy between their wish for everything exotic/over-the-top and their audience's rather generic and banal preferences.

I don't think this proves anything gender or identity politics related, but rather that Larian is alienating part of the BG3 player base who wouldn't mind a bit of 'normality' in the game's world,story, characters. No need to do the whole "you're a special boy discovering his powers after a dramatic moment of rupture from your shire-like village" fantasy trope, but damn Larian, please give us at least one location where Faerun life is taking place almost normally. Like I dunno, maybe allow us to either restore the inn, or let us visit it before the raid. Perhaps add a few houses and a generic grocery store outside the grove walls, whatever, just give us something cozy, re-assuring and ordinary worldly to compensate for all the extra-ordinary exceptional mega-rare elements currently taking center stage in the game's world and story.

To be clear, I want to distance myself from the BS accusation and bait of OP (GFY and your fragile masculinity) but wanted to give my interpretation of the Larian statement he quotes.

Last edited by SerraSerra; 23/08/22 11:03 AM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
@SerraSerra

I've long argued that the game doesn't do a good job at all of providing a baseline of normalcy for players, or of introducing the world/setting. We get a lot of things thrown at us with only context clues and our own assumptions to parse them with and I firmly think that that's a problem, especially when the game is clearly trying (rightly, in my opinion) to court new players to the franchise. I don't know the first thing about the setting and the game has, almost to the end of act one, not given me much of a sense of the baseline for what's normal.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
@SerraSerra

I've long argued that the game doesn't do a good job at all of providing a baseline of normalcy for players, or of introducing the world/setting. We get a lot of things thrown at us with only context clues and our own assumptions to parse them with and I firmly think that that's a problem, especially when the game is clearly trying (rightly, in my opinion) to court new players to the franchise. I don't know the first thing about the setting and the game has, almost to the end of act one, not given me much of a sense of the baseline for what's normal.

exactly, I'm not asking them to undo all their work, its their story after all, but please give us a glimpse of ordinary life in the marvelous setting they chose for their game. Really sincerely hope they counter balance this a bit upon release and include a few instances of a normal Faerun which isn't going trough dramatic apocalyptic events or totally abandoned, war wrecked and burned to the ground. Sadly I fear they explicitly chose not to include this as the first chapter would have been the only place where this could have worked as these moments of ordinariness tend to lose their appeal once you progress in levels. A small intro chapter preceding our abduction could have been an elegant solution to give a more grounded experience but I guess it didn't fit their writing philosophy, preferring to start with a bang (and then another one, and then another even bigger one, etc etc etc). All in all I feel this also relates to how the supposedly first chapter we have in EA feels designed for characters above lvl1 while also our companion's backstory seems to go far beyond what would be expected for lvl1 characters.

Last edited by SerraSerra; 23/08/22 12:24 PM.
old hand
old hand
is it just me that sees an evil Cleric of light?

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
huh, a single trollish post brings out an actual Larian employee while all the other meaningful threads..

Last edited by Boblawblah; 23/08/22 01:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
huh, a single trollish post brings out an actual Larian employee while all the other meaningful threads..

Although I understand why you feel that way, feedback and outright trouble stirring posts are different beasts to handle.

When it comes to shit threads such as these, the official action here is honestly justified when a stupid troll post is made just for the point of stirring up trouble and outright calling developers racist for a silly joke they made two years ago to showcase how the analytics system in the background collects data. Especially in today's day and age where the oversensitive mental-asylum cancer of the internet by the name of Twitter and other social media loves to overanalyze, dissect, shape their own version of the truth and condemn people for anything and everything they say on the internet... even a light-hearted joke.

Point and case here where one dork made a dumb post on Steam forums about this just recently and now we have two threads popping here about the same topic with the same presumptions. It's an avalanche that never stops with these people.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am actually surprised that the post was just not locked. It's low content for a discussion, several years old and most likely a trolling post.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I am actually surprised that the post was just not locked. It's low content for a discussion, several years old and most likely a trolling post.

I'm actually happy we get to show the stupid troll that we won't take the bait

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Lol - It was very obviously a joke.

I know the thread is a joke, but as an African American male who has created a few light skinned male humans during my few years playing D&D ever since Beamdog's Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate 1, I have some words of wisdom to drop.

"Those who live their lives with nothing but hatred in their hearts don't know how to live life, they only live in a bubble where the only thing they see are the things they hate."
- That's my quote

old hand
old hand
I bet this popped up again because of that chud on Twitter that randomly tweeted about a two year old joke trying to start shit yesterday. And then tried to backpedal once people started saying it was a joke from two years ago by trying to say he’s still interested in the game, only for people to to point out that he really wasn’t, since the literal first thing he tweeted about the game out of nowhere was a two year old clickbait controversy which he would have had to spend some effort to find to begin with.

Chuds literally have only one joke to cram everywhere they try. And the fucker still got rewarded with some 25k likes for it.

Fuck influencer culture with a pineapple.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 23/08/22 07:20 PM.
old hand
old hand
--- --- ---

How DARE you!

addict
addict
"How dare you, I should be in school!" I just love listening to Greta Thunberg talk, and watching is even better.

Whoa, what if we could get a likeness of her into a BG III NPC?
Time to go, Jaheira, I need the party slot for Greta!

veteran
veteran
Well, now that it's gone its rounds, time to call it a night. Closing thread so time can be spent a bit more... Productively.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard