Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Having played through the entire Early Access plenty of times as I'm seriously addicted and can't stop, one story arc that consistently keeps disappointing me and makes choices feel completely meaningless is Arka's story, due to > inconsistencies < with her dialogue and responses always leading to her death.

• We are first introduced to her on the ramparts of the Druid's Grove, mourning her brother Kanon.
  • We observe her passionate rage towards goblins and get an option to either further encourage that rage or sympathize.
  • No matter the choice she storms off to kill Sazza as payback, where we get yet another conversation with speech checks.
  • We can step in front of her crossbow and persuade her that killing Sazza won't avenge Kanon nor change anything.
  • After we further persuade her that drowning her heart in revenge will only be yet another victory for the goblins, she admits that the player is right, calms down and peacefully leaves.
  • But the story still treats her as if we fueled her rage, so she despawns and once again is found dead in front of the goblin camp. Just... dead... without any consistency with her actual responses and any meaningful encore.

Patch 8 re-introduced the option to calm her down and make her see the error of her way by mentioning it won't bring her brother back, which she agrees with.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And I was thinking, great! Finally a way to save Arka and she will now hang out in the grove with Memnos to comfort her. Well... wrong. The choices in her story arc are utterly meaningless because no matter what I say or do she ends up dead once again and Memnos is nowhere to be seen.

Which makes this whole story arc so disappointing and the main reason why I completely avoid Sazza's quest in majority of my playthroughs. Because Arka's corpse otherwise stands as a permanent monument of failure and a reminder that she is dead because of me.

If she is dissuaded from the path of revenge and acknowledges us to be right, then she should be alive and well in the grove with Memnos as her dialogue lines imply.

There are far more minor side characters in the story that end up having more satisfactory and actually meaningful outcomes...

• Scratch the dog
  • The baby owlbear
  • Sazza (female goblin in the camp)
  • Pandirna (tiefling woman with legs paralyzed)
  • Lakrissa (tiefling woman with an interesting humor who makes a bet with you on surviving the goblins)
  • Guex (tiefling miserably trying to hit the training dummy)
  • Mattis (tiefling child trying to scam you with rings)
  • Timber (a squirrel that tells you there's treasure nearby)
  • Bored Oxen (the philosophical oxen that tells you about treasure hiding in the hay)
  • Efrin (the petrified dwarf in Hag's lair which can be saved)
  • Possessed Masked people in Hag's lair which can actually be saved
  • Mayrina's brothers who die no matter what, but at least serve as a progression of Mayrina's story and are a catalyst to turn her against the hag
  • The three stranded fishers being possessed by the Mindflayer, we either save, kill or knock out.
  • And if I'm even going to go into other games, in Divinity Original Sin 2, "Septa the Ineffable" which is the most minor character of them all and an insignificant crab on Fort Joy beach has a more meaningful and rewarding outcome than Arka
  • And could honestly go forever with this list...

So why is Arka who actually has an engaging story arc when compared to all these other minor characters, always getting the short end of the stick where choices are meaningless and always end up with her abruptly dead and Memnos missing. Shouldn't Memnos be dead alongside her at least since they both leave together? Or to at least have a few goblin corpses near her to show she went down fighting? Or actually have a meaningful outcome based on our choices and her responses which imply she is supposed to stay at the grove?

It's incredibly disappointing to have all these various choices, but only one set-in-stone outcome, especially because her death serves absolutely no purpose, makes no sense nor does our main character even acknowledge her death. It's just an abrupt, unacknowledged and disappointingly hollow end for a character without any encore whatsoever.

I seriously hope that Arka's disappointing story is just a result of it simply not being fully fleshed out yet and will eventually get consistency with an outcome that feels satisfactory. I've pointed out inconsistencies with her story in the post below and how it actually should be playing out, based on actual responses by Arka.

addict
addict
Shit happens

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
Shit happens

Heh she is the living embodiment of the phrase, that's for sure.

Loses her brother, doesn't get revenge, dies in the middle of nowhere and doesn't even get acknowledged by the main character. Only thing left is for a Worg to come and drop a turd on her corpse as a final insult.

Sheesh, even Mayrina's story is not this depressing and that girl lost everyone.

addict
addict
Dude, I didn't know arka existed before i read this post.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
apprentice
apprentice
could be that the storyline isn't complete yet. As you said, new options were added as of the latest patch, so maybe there is still some hope for poor Arka the grieving tiefling.

veteran
veteran
Arka wouldn't bother so much except that I have a memory that you could save her when the EA first came out.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Shit happens

Loses her brother, doesn't get revenge, dies in the middle of nowhere and doesn't even get acknowledged by the main character. Only thing left is for a Worg to come and drop a turd on her corpse as a final insult.

Sheesh, even Mayrina's story is not this depressing and that girl lost everyone.
Honestly not even against storylines like that. Not necessarily sure how I feel about it regarding Arka this early in the game (I do think it is too harsh too early actually), but I think having unwinnable, grim, downright depressing stories lends a bit of realism. In my personal life experience, shit really does just happen.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Shit happens

Honestly not even against storylines like that. Not necessarily sure how I feel about it regarding Arka this early in the game (I do think it is too harsh too early actually), but I think having unwinnable, grim, downright depressing stories lends a bit of realism. In my personal life experience, shit really does just happen.

Yeah, I’m okay with not being able to save everyone … well, not okay, but I think it makes for a better, more emotionally engaging story if there’s a bit of tragedy thrown into the mix.

But I agree with the OP and everyone else who has complained that Arka’s story seems unfinished. As folk have said, it would be good to have some more evidence of what exactly happened to her, some acknowledgement from the main character or companions, and to know where Memnos got to.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Arka have lots of wasted potential ....

Personaly i would also like some upgrade when talking to her at gate:
Cleric should be able to offer her prayer, just as they do to Aradin ...
Wizards(or wielders of neckage, or owners and users of scroll) should be able to offer her one question when talking to dead, just as they do to that Blonde guy in Waukeen's rest ...
And im 100% positive that theese situations we should be able to use Revivify scroll ... wich btw should be MUCH more expensive to discourage us from that action.

I mean ... those all are things we CAN do in this game and are part of its roleplay ... we should logicaly be able to do them in every situation!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/08/22 07:32 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Arka have lots of wasted potential ....

Personaly i would also like some upgrade when talking to her at gate:
Cleric should be able to offer her prayer, just as they do to Aradin ...
Wizards(or wielders of neckage, or owners and users of scroll) should be able to offer her one question when talking to dead, just as they do to that Blonde guy in Waukeen's rest ...
And im 100% positive that theese situations we should be able to use Revivify scroll ... wich btw should be MUCH more expensive to discourage us from that action.

I mean ... those all are things we CAN do in this game and are part of its roleplay ... we should logicaly be able to do them in every situation!

Rez was the first thing i tried! i agree 100%. Players should not have those scrolls from the start at leastt not on the hardest difficulty and they should give us the option to rez him. Maybe they go kill goblins with Arka and later they make a whole new adventuring group that we meat in BG city... Or any other of 100+ ideas they could make. If Rez is not an option, we should not have rez scrolls at all. The whole talk to the dead is not used like you said, i would think she would be surprised to see him talk if nothing else.

The same with Mayrina's brothers i even tried knocking them out to save their lives but the game didn't register it at all. Somehow they magically teleported to the swamp and died. Like wtf they got there before me?!?! How?!

Ow and those scrolls should be rare just like all other things and not be infinite. Larian removed few food packages from the starting gear so that was good. Maybe it's time they look into those as well!
IF anything Elder ring showed us that people are ok with hard games and player can die in games aslong as they have fun doing it.

BTw did anyone try to follow Arka and see how they die? They probably just disappear?

Last edited by Lastman; 24/08/22 11:28 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Lastman
BTw did anyone try to follow Arka and see how they die? They probably just disappear?

She disappears just like any NPC if she goes outside of the minimap.

If you do follow her though, once she leaves Sazza she will go near the blacksmith with Memnos where they will be talking. She can be approached during this time and this is what she says:
However the window to gain this part of the dialogue is incredibly short, as you have to do it before she despawns. Which makes no sense since she acts like she was staying within the grove for quite some time and thinking about our talk.

So it ends up feeling terribly unfinished and incohesive, as the timeframe of the choices, responses and events being made feels disconnected.

Originally Posted by corporal8
could be that the storyline isn't complete yet. As you said, new options were added as of the latest patch, so maybe there is still some hope for poor Arka the grieving tiefling.

Actually I was wrong. The option technically was always in the game, but was bugged so it wasn't showing most of the time. I never saw it myself until Patch 8.

addict
addict
There is room for improvements that's for sure like with Mayrina's brothers. All i got was the line: they are dead or something like that, even if i didn't kill them. i bet other similar quests down the line will have same problms. So it's best they fix it now. Minimal effort would be just add a new line of dialogue for Mayrina explaining the knockout. With more effort anything can be done.

Last edited by Lastman; 24/08/22 05:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
[color:#FFCC99]Which makes this whole story arc so disappointing and the main reason why I completely avoid Sazza's quest in majority of my playthroughs. Because Arka's corpse otherwise stands as a permanent monument of failure and a reminder that she is dead because of me.
I mean, it's unfortunate that you can't save her, but I never once thought "All this happened because of me, me, ME!".

She made her choices.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
[color:#FFCC99]Which makes this whole story arc so disappointing and the main reason why I completely avoid Sazza's quest in majority of my playthroughs. Because Arka's corpse otherwise stands as a permanent monument of failure and a reminder that she is dead because of me.
I mean, it's unfortunate that you can't save her, but I never once thought "All this happened because of me, me, ME!".

She made her choices.

I fully agree with this. You can't save people from themselves. You can offer guidance, support, empathy, sympathy and so on. And maybe (hopefully), that will help. But at the end, people make their own choices.

Their mistakes are not yours smile

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

She made her choices.
Ya
Fuck around and find out

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
She made her choices.
Yes ... true ... 100% agree ...

And yet ...
It seems (and feel free to corect me) that complain from OP is not about her making her choices, or that it would be our fault ... as i understand it, the complain was about our effort was completely ignored. O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/08/22 07:21 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
She made her choices.
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
But at the end, people make their own choices.

Their mistakes are not yours smile

That's exactly where the issue lies though. It doesn't feel like her choice because her going to fight more goblins is completely inconsistent with her dialogue and responses, not to mention her behavior as an NPC. This is her entire dialogue played in the best way possible:

So here we have her acknowledging we are right, she calms down, admits that killing goblins won't change anything and walks peacefully away with Memnos being supportive. That's it, at this point in the story Arka's arc should no longer revolve around revenge and instead revolve around grief.

But then look at this messy dialogue inconsistency where immediately after she acts as if we fueled her rage, but then at the blacksmith is completely sad because she's been in the grove pondering about our talk. You only have 15 seconds in total after the original dialogue to get all of this dialogue before she despawns and dies:

So the inconsistencies based on the second dialogue which is visually split into two:

• All of this dialogue happens literally in just 15 seconds after the first dialogue before she despawns, yet her mood is incredibly different before and after she gets to the Blacksmith.
  • If you do not follow her and she walks out of the minimap range, she despawns completely and you do not get any of this dialogue even though she has plenty and is supposed to have one after some time has passed.
  • If you talk to her before she leaves the room, she acts annoyed as if you used confrontational choices during the original dialogue. Makes no sense considering we just reasoned with her and she calmed down.
  • If you listen to her talk at the Blacksmith, she is sad and bored, but wondering when the goblins will come so she can have some target practice. Implying she's waiting at the grove for for the goblins to come.
  • If you talk to her while she is at the Blacksmith, she acts sad because she's been thinking a lot about our talk, which implies that some meaningful time has to have passed for her to be able to think about it to such extent. How can that be though when the talk JUST happened. So this line seems to be intended for later, but later never comes since she despawns and dies.

So this makes me believe that Arka's story is actually unfinished and that these are two separate dialogues for two different outcomes, but for some reason feel jammed into one with just a singular outcome in which she always dies.

• The first half of the dialogue definitely falls into her being consumed by rage either by killing Sazza or sparing Sazza through confrontational dialogue choices. So the way it should play out is after killing Sazza or sparing her reluctantly, she becomes annoyed, mentions leaving with Memnos and walks off screen to despawn only to be later found dead alongside Memnos near the camp.
  • The second half of the dialogue near the Blacksmith however falls into reasoning with her and her remaining at the grove with Memnos. So the way this one is supposed to play out is her walking over to the Blacksmith after sparing Sazza and telling Memnos she is sad and bored, wondering when the goblins will attack so she can have some target practice. And after some meaningful time has passed, we'd find out she's been thinking a lot about our talk. She lives, but also grieves for her brother.

This way it would feel cohesive with actual player choices being taken into consideration and actual NPC behavior logic being in place where she does not despawn so forcefully. Unfortunately though this doesn't happen. Instead she instantly despawns or if you follow her you have 15 seconds to experience this inconsistent dialogue that makes no sense given the timeframe, after which she just despawns in front of you and dies.

addict
addict
The problem is not that you can't save her but how it all works or in this case doesn't. You can literally TP there and clear all goblins and other enemies before she even leaves the druid grove.

But of course she still dies. Why? Simple it's just bad scripting - maybe it's not finsihed yet, no way to know.
Playtesting can poke holes into stories like this all the time.

The whole sequence doesn't react to players actions in the world. Not like it's the only case like that. More than one "quest" can be seen with problems like this.

Nothing new in Rpgs, holes like this show up even with the best of devs. Good news is, it can easily be fixed.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lastman
But of course she still dies. Why? Simple it's just bad scripting - maybe it's not finsihed yet, no way to know.
Playtesting can poke holes into stories like this all the time.

Yep. The fact that it's EA strongly incites me to not judge to strongly this sort of things.
That being said, it's a good thing to rise the question (like OP and others I've done) just in case this is something that wasn't planned to be improved but could now be improved.

My previous reaction in this thread was more focused on OP saying :
Because Arka's corpse otherwise stands as a permanent monument of failure and a reminder that she is dead because of me.
I felt bad for OP that's all x)

I'm not at all against a polishing of this type of interaction with npcs smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So just as I suspected; Arka and Memnos indeed do have a completely different outcome after their encounter with Sazza and both are actually intended to be present for the Grove siege.

Here is Arka on the ramparts ready for the fight.

And here is Memnos, who can be found praying at the Grove's centre, but can be persuaded to help with the battle.

And here they both are saying their final goodbyes to Kanon afterwards.

This is why I mentioned;

Which makes this whole story arc so disappointing and the main reason why I completely avoid Sazza's quest in majority of my playthroughs. Because Arka's corpse otherwise stands as a permanent monument of failure and a reminder that she is dead because of me.

Because triggering their encounter with Sazza causes their disappointingly unavoidable deaths completely devoid of player choices or actual meaning, so made me feel responsible every time I triggered it. However by ignoring the encounter completely until the siege begins, Sazza dies and they both live and actually get the encore they're supposed to get.

So I'm quite happy knowing that Arka's story has a proper conclusion and that there is a very big chunk of it missing in-between the events. I'm sure the encounter will be properly fleshed out eventually, it was just very strange to me how it presented itself as a whole story.

Link Copied to Clipboard